driver crash with dx 11

dmoddmod Germany Join Date: 2016-07-03 Member: 219515Members
Hi,

I recently got the game but the game is constantly crashing when utilizing DirectX 11.
I already tried setting different resolutions, fullscreen or windowed, and different quality settings. The crashes persist. I also tried the experimental branch, hoping the issue is already dealt with, but like the stable branch, it keeps crashing.
The only workaround is to launch the game in DirectX 9 mode via the -force-d3d9 parameter.

To be more specific, the game instantly crashes after loading is complete for the first time and the intro sequence starts. I get a Windows notification that the driver stopped and has successfully recovered, but the sound of the intro sequence can still be heard playing in the background. After switching to DX 9 I played through the intro sequence. Now that the sequence has been completed, switching back to DX 11 allows the game to load successfully too. I can even leave the lifepod, get on top of it and have a look around. But as soon as I jump down into the water, the driver crashes again. Also when leaving the pod through the bottom exit, I can still look around without the driver crashing. But as soon as I start moving for a few meters, the driver crashes. Maybe it's connected to loading new tiles?

My specs are:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (build 10.0.10586.420) (up to date)
AMD Phenom II X4 965
AMD Radeon HD 5770 1GB (driver 16.2.1 / 15.301.1901.0) (most recent driver since it's now a legacy card according to AMD)
6GB RAM

DxDiag.txt
output_log.txt
error.log
crash.dmp
col7YoJ.jpg

Comments

• MysticDaedraMysticDaedra Uranus Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219616Members
    I'm having the same problem. I was able to swim around a bit, for maybe 5-10 minutes max, then I got the crash. It seems Windows is detecting a lapse in GPU communication, and restarting the drivers even though it isn't needed.

• dmoddmod Germany Join Date: 2016-07-03 Member: 219515Members
    Still an ongoing issue after today's update to build 34431. Driver instantly crashes after loading of the savegame is finished.
    XXRgORf.jpg
  • AlakryonAlakryon Hungary Join Date: 2016-05-02 Member: 216268Members
    I also have nearly the same issue, except that I do not get any driver related error message.

If I start the game up WITHOUT the -force-d3d9 parameter, it runs for about 10 seconds, runs very fast and smooth in that time frame, then suddenly I can not move or rotate my view, the sound is still going, but evefything freezes. Then after a certain time I get a message from the OS that Subnautica is not respondign, I can kill it or wait if it responds, but of course it does not responds if I wait.

If I start the game WITH the -force-d3d9 parameter, it runs, but has a a lot of small slows, hickups when turning around for example, and some light graphical problems (I think it is because the game was not designed for DirectX 9).

My specs are:
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4
    RAM: 16 GB RAM
    VGA: AMD Radeon HD 6770
    The game resides on an SSD

Does anyone have any solution to run the game in DirectX 11 mode without freezes?
    If the DirectX 9 starting up option will eventually disappear, I will not be able to run it, no matter that my computer is above the requirements, and I paid for it... :(
    And of course I can not see it on the intended graphical level, missing a lot of effects, etc.
    Maybe it is related to this:
    https://community.amd.com/thread/214662

Any comment from the developers?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Can you post your
    \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\Subnautica_Data\output_log.txt

file and your dxdiag output (Save All Information...)?
    Hi,

DxDiag.txt: https://pastebin.com/vfGg5Yej
    output_log.txt: https://pastebin.com/ZazVasCn

And now the interesting part.
    Yesterday I started the game in DirectX 9 set the graphic to full, and travelled to the Floating Island and make a save there.
    Today I started up in DirectX 11 (did not change anything in the settings, only removed the startup parameter) to produce the logs above, and the game was running fine on the island, then I entered the water and still no problem, until I travelled back towards the escape capsule. As soon as the underwater ground showed up, the game freezed again!

So until no underwater ground is in the view, there was no problem at all!
    I think it is an important info, maybe something has a special shader on the underwater ground or on some object on that ground, which causes the issue.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Out of interest, how are you forcing the game to start in various DirectX versions?

Thank you.
    You can add the -force-d3d9 startup parameter in steam by right click on the game in your steam library, then selecting "Properties", and clicking on "Set launch options" to start it in DirectX9.
    If you do not add it, it will run in DirectX 11.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2354750/#Comment_2354750
    landlubber wrote: »
    Crashfix? for me it did.

Hi mates!
    New user here, unable to open new topic, so i hijack this one since it has a similar problem on the same build.

I had the same, but often i got ingame for 1-4 mins before crashing, sometimes even locking up my PC completely... And i mean COMPLETELY. Never had a freeze so bad, even the ATX-RESET-Button didnt trigger anymore. Holy moly!
    Of course almost always it was just a crash to desktop, a few times a bluescreen and once this complete and utter lockup.

The crash reports are often a access violation in Subnautica.exe, but sometimes in nvwgf2umx.dll and in d3d11.dll which made me thinking... Of course i had the newest GeForce installed... But in some other boards i read especially for nvwgf2umx.dll that thos may be because of a not updated dll in the Driver-update. This DLL seems to be responsible for a lot of crashes in GTA4 and others... It seems to be a DX10 compatibility-DLL.
    A few suggest to use a good driver remover like the one from http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html and remove the driver completely (in savemode) and then REINSTALL the driver so the DLL in question gets updated.
    Ahwell... Did that, what can it hurt...

Oh boy! It didnt hurt at all and now... Tadaaaa! No more crashes! Played over 2h and no crash whatsoever. Before, 3mins were a good time before crashing.

For references:
    Windows 10 64b
    Game: April 2017 47282
    Driver: GeForce 382.53 - WHQL force-removed and reinstalled