DAY/NIGHT CYCLE

Sharky36Sharky36 Join Date: 2017-05-23 Member: 230706Members
First I want to say I really do love this game. It is the first game I have ever played that is almost completely underwater. I find the experience of swimming around the safe shallows so relaxing that its almost therapeutic. I would like however to be able to slow down time so it doesn't feel like the planet is spinning at light speed. Is there anyway that the team could put in some type of selection at the beginning of the game to change how fast the day/night cycle is?

Comments

• scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    I hear you, and we're not the only ones.

If you're on PC, you can use console commands to slow the timescale, but be aware: all time-dependent processes will slow as well. So fabrication won't be a click-and-done thing anymore.

That's a big chunk of the problem with editing timescale or modding in longer days - short of finding and editing the specific value for ticks-per-day, the only way to go slows everything down.
  • Amazing_AquacatAmazing_Aquacat North Texas Join Date: 2017-05-22 Member: 230676Members
    I'm curious. I discovered that I could use the bed to actually sleep, not long after that I discovered that my fabricator suddenly took way to long to make things. I wonder if there is a correlation?
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    yeah other than the console there isn't currently a way to modify the passage of the day/night cycle. Hopefully once the dev's have gotten all the important things in the ground work they can go and make some optional changes for people, like hunger and hydration consumption amount as well as modifying the time scale factor for the passages of days.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    If you sit in a chair or on a bench, the hunger and thirst gauges don't go down but you can do stuff like access your PDA. I put a chair on the Cyclops bridge to take advantage of that.
  • kJGkJG Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218794Members
    Jacke wrote: »
    If you sit in a chair or on a bench, the hunger and thirst gauges don't go down but you can do stuff like access your PDA. I put a chair on the Cyclops bridge to take advantage of that.

I put a chair on the bridge just because it looks cool
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    I've long been a proponent for longer days and nights - you have more time to hunt for supplies and do tasks in the day, but if you're solar-dependent then you have to manage your power better. At present, having to swim or pilot around in the dark is not a penalty as daylight will appear after five minutes. :neutral:

Also on the subject of the passage of time, I was playing recently and had to surface quickly due to nearly asphyxiating - while the camera was pointed skyward I went to get a snack and was AFK. When I returned I stared at the skybox curiously; something was weird. It dawned on me that the cloud patterns in the sky were just rotating - you can see the same unchanging pattern whip around at lightning speed! :dizzy:

It's not as noticable at night since I guess they become translucent, but they never change... I guess the sun and moons animate differently as they seem unaffected, but I gotta say it's fairly immersion-breaking for me now. I know, cloud patterns are low-priority to fix, but on an aquatic planet with no weather to have 'fixed' cloud patterns is pretty weak. (And no, you can't say "But the islands have cloud concealment, the Precursors engineered everything!" Even a 100% artificially-engineered planet has to follow basic rules with how the ecosystem operates.) :tongue:
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    It dawned on me that the cloud patterns in the sky were just rotating - you can see the same unchanging pattern whip around at lightning speed!
    I noticed this when I observed the moons were always at the same zenith angle as they moved. Only the sun is animated differently. It's rather immersion breaking for me too.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Jacke wrote: »
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    It dawned on me that the cloud patterns in the sky were just rotating - you can see the same unchanging pattern whip around at lightning speed!
    I noticed this when I observed the moons were always at the same zenith angle as they moved. Only the sun is animated differently. It's rather immersion breaking for me too.

Well, that and the stars shining through yon merry moon. ;)
    Well, that and the stars shining through yon merry moon. ;)
    It's just a model.
  • BDelacroixBDelacroix Florida Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215511Members
    It looked to me like the "planet" was actually a moon. With a companion that causes eclipses. Usually right when you need the light most.
  • orobourosorobouros US Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215163Members
    BDelacroix wrote: »
    It looked to me like the "planet" was actually a moon. With a companion that causes eclipses. Usually right when you need the light most.

It's honestly hard not to feel like nightfall is triggered every time you leave a seabase or pick up a resource. The beds help, now, but I keep finding that they have a fixed amount of sleep time instead of just waking you at dawn, which is almost worse than not having anything at all. You go to bed to skip the night, wake up 40 seconds before sundown the next day... and are "not tired enough" to sleep again, so now you HAVE to sit through the far-too-pitch-black night where you can't really find or do much of anything? Frustrating.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    orobouros wrote: »
    BDelacroix wrote: »

It's honestly hard not to feel like nightfall is triggered every time you leave a seabase or pick up a resource. The beds help, now, but I keep finding that they have a fixed amount of sleep time instead of just waking you at dawn, which is almost worse than not having anything at all. You go to bed to skip the night, wake up 40 seconds before sundown the next day... and are "not tired enough" to sleep again, so now you HAVE to sit through the far-too-pitch-black night where you can't really find or do much of anything? Frustrating.

Yeah, you have to time it so your character has a day/night routine for the bed to really work right.
  • MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
    I would love to see a longer day/night cycle. Especially because I love exploring at night (best time for quartz hunting!) and the nights never last long enough.
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    edited June 2017
    My personal preference is also a MUCH longer day/night cycle in games, especially in games where you can advance time. Some of the zones are gorgeous in day and ugly as sin at night and vise-versa. A day shouldn't pass by the time I put on my pants and drink a cup of coffee. But again, personal preference, 4546B is an alien planet, they can justify anyway they please... and devs made sure day and night have their own effects so their desire to showcase it, is something I can't really argue against. Now we have beds so I guess there is that one single argument but that is kind of weak :neutral:
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    HiSaZuL wrote: »
    My personal preference is also a MUCH longer day/night cycle in games, especially in games where you can advance time. Some of the zones are gorgeous in day and ugly as sin at night and vise-versa. A day shouldn't pass by the time I put on my pants and drink a cup of coffee. But again, personal preference, 4546B is an alien planet, they can justify anyway they please... and devs made sure day and night have their own effects so their desire to showcase it, is something I can't really argue against. Now we have beds so I guess there is that one single argument but that is kind of weak :neutral:

Just because it's an alien planet doesn't mean it can spin as fast as they want it to. If a planet was spinning as fast as the day/night cycle in this game indicates, it would probably be shaped like a doughnut without a hole and have storms that make the most fearsome hurricanes in earths history look like a gentle summer breeze.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    I hear you, and we're not the only ones.

If you're on PC, you can use console commands to slow the timescale, but be aware: all time-dependent processes will slow as well. So fabrication won't be a click-and-done thing anymore.

That's a big chunk of the problem with editing timescale or modding in longer days - short of finding and editing the specific value for ticks-per-day, the only way to go slows everything down.

Doesn't slowing timescale slow down movement speed too?

Then it would be unusable for that purpose, as no one likes to take double time for swimming a certain distance. It would get boring.

We must differ from movement time and daytime, but usually games like this (including the other open world games) link those values. So running up to a tree 100m away should take only a few RT seconds and feels like the game had real time, while the daytime says you just needed a minute to reach a tree 100m away.

That isn't too bad in itself, because you have no problem with such a crazy daytime, but gets a problem when you try to slow daytime to real time. Then your 100m tree walk would need a real minute and give you a feel of bullet time. And this would feel totally wrong to you. And even worse it would be very boring do everything in bullet time for the whole game time.

So games movement must always feel real time, while the daytime can be speeded. Not the opposite. If there are no two different time handles, then there is no way to slow down time without getting bored with lame movement.

Or does the game have two handles for this or slowing down time doesn't effect movement? (Fallout 4 allows at least to speed up movement while slowing time, but falling time and physics stay slow).

As I don't think anyone wants to move like a snail just to have a long day in return, the game would need a time relation change setting that allows you to move in real time AND have a real time daytime! Otherwise we can forget it.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    edited June 2017
    A real-life planet spinning as quickly as we see in the game would tear itself apart unless it was made entirely of a high strength material like metal that would hold together. The centripetal force of the rotation would be greater than the approximately 1g of gravity, so everything short of the (assumed) iron core would be thrown out into space.
  • Alex93090Alex93090 Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211935Members
    gamer1000k wrote: »
    A real-life planet spinning as quickly as we see in the game would tear itself apart unless it was made entirely of a high strength material like metal that would hold together. The centripetal force of the rotation would be greater than the approximately 1g of gravity, so everything short of the (assumed) iron core would be thrown out into space.

But also keep in mind that different planets have different gravitational acceleration.
    gamer1000k wrote: »

Given the Earth (radius about 6371000m, acceleration of gravity at surface 9.81m/s^2), with a rotational period of 1.4 hours it would start to come apart.

I can't find information on how long the day/night cycle is. And time is accelerated in game. My current game is over 3 real-time days in length, but by the PDA dates I've been on Planet 4546B for over a year. I calculate that time is accelerated by 128 times or greater.
  • orobourosorobouros US Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215163Members
    It's possible to argue that the light diffusion from our various lights is insufficient for gameplay purposes, and/or that the "hull darkening" effect they use to prevent shiny surfaces from reflecting and amplifying ambient light like the un-textured Quartz deposits do, goes too far / isn't working correctly.

I get that it's a wilderness planet, meters beneath the ocean. But it's PITCH BLACK in the Dunes at Noon. Exposed to the surface. 200m up. Light penetrates that far in the real world. It's at least gloomy that far down, not utterly pitch black like a sack over your head. If darkness wasn't quite so over-the-top all the way around, I wouldn't care that it seems like nightfall is deliberately triggered by my making progress on something. I don't expect it to be bright in an alien coral reef at night, but MAN is it overdone in some places and some ways. You can't even walk around the floating island by moonlight because you can't see the trees or the ground, AT ALL, it's like you're floating in a void. And this is with bioluminescent trees!

Longer or shorter cycles, what I'm saying is darkness itself could be balanced a little bit too. Wouldn't hurt.
  • MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
    That might depend on your settings. While the dunes do seem to be unusually dark (I swear it's brighter in the Grand Reef at 400 than it is in the dunes at 200), I can see just fine on the floating island at night.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Its been made lighter at some point, I've found I can follow the trails at night on the floating island as it is now.