The Cyclops has regenerating health now!

OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
Today, when I opened SN experimental it installed an update. Probably no new content, only bug fixes, I thought. But how wrong I was....
Later when I was traversing the LR (at full speed), I got the creature attack warning. When I looked at my health bar, I thought that those river prowlers aren't as scary as it seems. But later, when I was attacked again, I was constantly looking at the health bar and noticed that it had dropped but WAS SLOWLY GOING BACK UP! As someone who fixed evcery tiny scratch on his sub, this is AWESOME! No longer having to get out every five seconds! Then again, this could be a bug. But it probably isn't, and I definitely hope so.

edit: It's not the HP regenerating, it has a shield instead

Comments

• garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Wow! that's awesome. Searching through the recent code check-ins, I found this item:

48247 /main 2017-05-23 01:12:06 Scott Thunelius - Cyclops Feedback Improvements: Collision damage reduced, Added a recharging 'overshield' that will soak up all hits above 80% damage, Fixed bug where volumetric lights are visible inside the Cyclops, Made "Hull Damage" warning less annoying

• RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Fantastic, so the cyclops is effectively impervious to non leviathan attacks except in swarms and they did it without having to revamp the entire damage system. Nicely done devs.
  • OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    Fantastic, so the cyclops is effectively impervious to non leviathan attacks except in swarms and they did it without having to revamp the entire damage system. Nicely done devs.

It only recharges if you don't take damage for a while. You can still die.
  • EstebanLB01EstebanLB01 Join Date: 2017-05-09 Member: 230377Members
    Still, it's an awesome and smart tweak
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Ojakokko wrote: »

... that's a bad thing?
    @0x6A7232
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

... that's a bad thing?

No. But I felt like @Ralij made was sarcastic, so I told that in cse he thought it was going to be too easy now
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited May 2017
    And it can be explained by repair nanomachines in the cyclops hull.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    That's... Actually a very nice middle ground.
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    edited June 2017
    Nevermind. Words were said. Apologies were issued. Good afternoon.

• tommy21toestommy21toes Subnautica Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230666Members
    And it can be explained by repair nanomachines in the cyclops hull.

It's from the patch notes, a recharging "overshield".
  • The08MetroidManThe08MetroidMan Join Date: 2016-09-23 Member: 222527Members
    Yes, I mean, it's nothing like those rabid trolls here on the forums screaming about the inconsistencies of damage of anything beneath a leaviathan had any reason to, and suddenly bang! Magical Self Repairing Hull!
    https://youtu.be/RMH2N_TiVg4?t=3m57s

The ease with which the sub fell apart just from hitting something begs to differ on the matter of damage inconsistencies :/

Yes, I mean, it's nothing like those rabid trolls here on the forums screaming about the inconsistencies of damage of anything beneath a leaviathan had any reason to, and suddenly bang! Magical Self Repairing Hull!

Its not magic... its SCIENCE!
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    edited June 2017
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    To anyone saying "magical hull", it's not. It's a recharging shield. That's why you have the blue bar on the HP bar now. And even if it was a self-repairing hull, so what? It wouldn't have to be magic. We are researching self-healing materials already. This game takes place in the next century, so a self-healing sub may not be as farfetched as it seems.

I also like the fact that the peopke who call this magic complain about "trolls" complaining about three bonesharks being more dangerous than a reaper despite the fact that they're teolling themselves... the way they write makes them straight away trolls... Hypocrisy much?
    edited June 2017
  • TriforceDragonTriforceDragon Denmark Join Date: 2016-11-18 Member: 224044Members
    To anyone saying "magical hull", it's not. It's a recharging shield. That's why you have the blue bar on the HP bar now. And even if it was a self-repairing hull, so what? It wouldn't have to be magic. We are researching self-healing materials already. This game takes place in the next century, so a self-healing sub may not be as farfetched as it seems.

I also like the fact that the peopke who call this magic complain about "trolls" complaining about three bonesharks being more dangerous than a reaper despite the fact that they're teolling themselves... the way they write makes them straight away trolls... Hypocrisy much?

Refer to me directely if you want to use something I said as a quotation. The recharging shield is a magical band aid. Also, learn how to sarcasm and irony before coming to read something on the internet, just to avoid having your feelings hurt because of your thin skin.

The recharging shield is a "magical" bandaid when one of the modules for the Cyclops is already a energy shield that renders the Cyclops impervious. Huh...so one energy shield is acceptable, but the thought of a different, weaker but constant one is "magical."

You learn something new everyday.
    edited June 2017

• DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    I don't believe that the regeneration is going to be so fast that it will prevent crashing into a wall several times or getting repeatedly crunched by the Fauna from NOT making the sub go BOOM.

It's probably more like slowly leaking tire but in reverse...

As long as the sub doesn't take damage for several minutes you would probably see very small incremental repairs.

I'm not on Experimental, but I would imagine that the Dev's don't plan on making it any where near being something to completely rely on in dangerous areas.

Seems like a rather ingenious development to me and it was probably a lot easier to program than going back and redoing all the interactive code for the multitude of fauna in the game.

B)

edited June 2017

No. But I felt like @Ralij made was sarcastic, so I told that in cse he thought it was going to be too easy now

It's a rare moment to be sure, but I wasn't being sarcastic this time .
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    edited May 2017
    The shield module is for taking heavy beatings in a short time, while the Overshield is for fixing the small bumps. Both have their uses.

One of Markiplier's recent youtube videos had a small amount of damage that he didn't want to bother fixing, but he kept getting the "damage detected" warning. This seems like it will prevent that, so you don't have to go outside every 5 minutes for a tiny dent.
    edited June 2017
  • Amazing_AquacatAmazing_Aquacat North Texas Join Date: 2017-05-22 Member: 230676Members
    There's a magical Device in game that creates complex items from raw materials and people are gripping about a regenerating hull? Think of it as a limited nanite repair system and move on. Better yet, don't go crashing into things hell mell and you're good. Sharks get you down? Go silent running or launch decoys. Kinda reminds me of those old WWII submarine movies I loved growing up.
    edited June 2017
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited May 2017
    There's a magical Device in game that creates complex items from raw materials and people are gripping about a regenerating hull? Think of it as a limited nanite repair system and move on. Better yet, don't go crashing into things hell mell and you're good. Sharks get you down? Go silent running or launch decoys. Kinda reminds me of those old WWII submarine movies I loved growing up.

Yes, and I love how you purposefully missed the point of the discussion just to make what could be taken as a snark remark. Good job.

And so far, you're the only one who seems to have a problem with it.

This might be one of those cases where it's best to move on and chalk it up to a Dev decision that's probably not gonna change.

(like I've had to do with the O2 tank changes)

< shrug >
    edited June 2017
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    A really bad decision derived from laziness to a problem they aren't exactely sure how to deal with, but hey, it is their decision.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    A really bad decision derived from laziness to a problem they aren't exactely sure how to deal with, but hey, it is their decision.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

Oh snap.