Expansion?

hellrayn3hellrayn3 Uk Join Date: 2017-05-20 Member: 230628Members
I've seen all over mentions of an expansion? I thought we were getting in a rocket and going home? Does this mean something goes wrong? Or will we get to play as the degas crew with 2 npcs? I know you've said no to multiplayer but a flashback expansion of sorts could open up that avenue? Just some thoughts I was having at 4am :)

Comments

• TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited May 2017
    There's been a mention of it on the Trello board, of which I had posted an inquiry about what an expansion might entail. Nothing official has been stated of what it could be about, if it's a "2.0" version or DLC, or even when it might release. But! The fact that they are considering eventually to add an expansion is very interesting indeed. :blush:
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    im not sure but i think everyone in early access is getting the expansion included as part of the special edition that includes the cute fish. i cant fint the trello card i read but their is a trello slot for an expansion next january
  • ArexLimeArexLime Somewhere Join Date: 2017-05-07 Member: 230307Members
    Yes early access users get the cute fish and the soundtrack
  • hellrayn3hellrayn3 Uk Join Date: 2017-05-20 Member: 230628Members
    All beautiful news!
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    ArexLime wrote: »

aye but is that all?
    Baby sea emperor pet please? :)
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited May 2017

aye but is that all?

You already got what will probably be a $40 to $50 DOLLAR Game, for Half the Price (or less).
    (I got it for $15)

B)
  • TigerTankSniperTigerTankSniper Join Date: 2016-01-20 Member: 211735Members
    Nooo don't mean to seem ungrateful I'm happy with nothing xD just putting out ideas
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    I hope Subnautica is so wildly successful that they make 3-4 expansions. :)
    I got it for $14

Would that be $14.99 or $13.99 from STEAM?
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    garath wrote: »
    I hope Subnautica is so wildly successful that they make 3-4 expansions. :)

I still am hoping for an expansion/add-on/DLC where you're playing as an Alterra scout, trying to build a base on Planet 4546B's moon. The cover story is you're trying to survey the aftermath of the Aurora's destruction and repair the ecosystem, but in reality you're trying to salvage the Precursor technology and the Carar virus.

The core game mechanics can still apply with the existing game engine:
    1. Limited oxygen survival outside of a Lifepod/starting base as you unlock technology
    2. You must expand your base to gather more resources; equipment like the Exosuit can still work normally
    3. Gathering food and water can still be a driving force, either from natural creatures/elements or devices that can create them (a Water Filtration Machine that can derive hydrogen and oxygen from the moon's crust
    4. And if people really want underwater survival, there's bound to be water or other bodies of liquid found on their moon (it is an alien environment, anything can go).

People have mentioned before that "Subnautica is an ocean-based game, I dun wanna play in space!" and I can understand that. But unless you're playing a New Game+ mode, why play the same style of game with a different color of paint? The moon-based gameplay could let them try a new style of gameplay without needing much changing of the game's existing engine.

I love Subnautica dearly but I wouldn't necessarily want another underwater survival game - but if it were so I'd suggest focusing more on combat or strategy instead of survival. They could focus on the Exosuit gameplay (think Metal Fatigue or MechWarrior) or the Cyclops instead (think The Hunt for Red October film).

Now before you go and say "the devs SAID there is to be no combat or violence in Subnautica!" you'd be right - but who says the expansion or sequel has to be more of the same game? Natural Selection 1 and 2 are still very popular first-person shooters set in the same universe as Subnautica, so there is a precedence. While I gladly embrace more Subnautica content as a paid DLC, I hope whatever changes an expansion brings, it keeps the game fun and fresh with all new changes. :blush:
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »

aye but is that all?

You already got what will probably be a $40 to $50 DOLLAR Game, for Half the Price (or less).
    (I got it for $15)

B)

Oh yeah? I got it for 10. Bought it right after the crash site update.
  • The08MetroidManThe08MetroidMan Join Date: 2016-09-23 Member: 222527Members
    Well, based on the Trello postings, alot of what would go into an expansion pack would be anything the devs don't think will be in the game by the time v1.0 releases.

This includes:
    • The Ghost Leviathan (so far, sadly)
    • The Cyclops Dock
    • Buildable Teleporter Rooms
    • Transfuser and Mixing-Centrifuge
    • A jetpack for the player
    • The Rock Puncher
    • At least two optional story areas
    • Clocks to help tell how long before sundown/sunrise
    • Mapping features (based off of the Journey Map mod for Minecraft)

Another possibility is that, like the Elder Scrolls, they'll create an entire new sub-world (the sometimes-mentioned Arctic Biome) to explore as a new character in. As it stands, it's way too early to tell what it is they'll cook up for January.
  • Amazing_AquacatAmazing_Aquacat North Texas Join Date: 2017-05-22 Member: 230676Members
    I, for one, would happily pay for those expansions.

I'm not sure how well this game is publicised because I stumbled on it completely by accident, but I'm doing my best to tell all my friends about it. I REALLY want this game to do well because currently it has my complete attention if not becoming an outright obsession.
    I am paying for an expansion and I am sincerely hoping to pay for a sequel!
    kingkuma wrote: »
    DaveyNY wrote: »

aye but is that all?

(I got it for $15)

B)

Oh yeah? I got it for 10. Bought it right after the crash site update.

Thank you for very effectively validating my point.

B)
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    Well I got it for $20 so I supported the game more than you all.

B)
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    I seem to remember getting it on sale for around $7 :) Plan to buy the PS4 port if it is done, though.

And isn't the ghost leviathan pretty much done? I had assumed they were going to squeeze it in since they have several months still till 1.0
  • The08MetroidManThe08MetroidMan Join Date: 2016-09-23 Member: 222527Members
    Herugrim wrote: »
    I seem to remember getting it on sale for around $7 :) Plan to buy the PS4 port if it is done, though.

And isn't the ghost leviathan pretty much done? I had assumed they were going to squeeze it in since they have several months still till 1.0

Not according to the Trello - it's still in the "maybe after v1.0 tab", implying that it, it's models and sounds have all only been made for either a "just in case" scenario or to get a head-start on the expansion. Same with things like the transfuser and centerfuge - they built animations and models for those, but axed them, and the terraformer had been a concept that was flat-out removed when earlier it had been a core tool. Plus, the next few months look to be filled with polish-work for everything else - terrain seems, creature riggings, etc.

Suffice to say, whether or not the thing's almost done behind-the-scenes means nothing if they decide to not actually put it in.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    pie1055 wrote: »

B)

Well I bought a shirt, so.

B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    pie1055 wrote: »

B)

Well I bought a shirt, so.

B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)

Pics or it didn't happen. Selfie time. >D
  • wowwinkwowwink Merica Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224596Members
    Well,I have the shirt
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    wowwink wrote: »
    Well,I have the shirt

Then you know what you must do!
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Pics or it didn't happen. Selfie time. >D