Should the world 'encourage' us to build more bases?

GreyfairerGreyfairer Join Date: 2017-04-24 Member: 229937Members
Having played quite a bit I find that I usually only build one base and expand it as I go along. Granted I do initially build a simple 'intersection with a solar panel' under the pod as a sort of expanded storage, but I don't consider this a base proper. I can motor from my single base to anywhere I need to get to albeit at a cost in transit time and this time cost is really the only negative I have found to my one base play style. I do not use the Cyclops as a mobile operations center either as I like the options a real habitat affords.

Now I will occasionally build deeper just to do it, but it is never based (see what I did there) on some driving cause.

So I am curious as to how many bases others build in a normal play through. If you build more than one what is the reason and when do you usually move on from your current base? Do you build in a preferred area or build in a 'scenic spot' and motor all needed materials back and forth as required (scavenging runs so to speak)?

And I am sure it has been talked about before, but should there be reasons forcing us deeper and requiring new base construction? Maybe the storms the Degassi survivors encountered are cyclic and return making everything above 100M uninhabitable due to constant damage (ala Cyclops type) for some long period of game time before the storms subside. What types of things could happen that force us out of a depth band and into a deeper area and then out of that depth band into another? Instead of depth bands should moves be from biome to biome based on some condition? A combination of both? If we are nudged by the environment to move then how many such moves should be 'encouraged'?

Thoughts?

Greyfairer

Comments

• gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    edited May 2017
    I haven't actually played survival all that much (I want to wait for 1.0 before really committing to a full playthrough), but I've practiced building "practical" bases quite a bit in creative mode and thought a lot about optimal base placement for survival.

What I've been thinking is to have one large central base near the thermal vent in the safe shallows, both for the free unlimited power and because it's on the boundary of several other biomes as well for gathering convenience. It's also shallow enough to allow for easily building foundations above the water for farming plants from the floating island.

In the little survival I've played, I made extensive use of the single corridor outposts. I would put one near the front of the Aurora (in shallow enough water to avoid the Reaper) and one on the floating island. I've also thought that it would be great to put one next to each of the large wrecks, both for storage and for a pipe network to avoid running out of air.

After getting a Seamoth and Moonpool, I would probably build several medium-small satellite bases with the minimum essentials to be self-sustaining (bioreactor, water purifier, and alien containment) near important/scenic locations (mountain island, floating island, Jellyshroom cave, Blood Kelp Zone LR entrance for Cyclops). Once I had the scanner room, I might build an array of scanning outposts (scanner room + hatch + solar panel) across the map to ease the process of gathering resources.

Once I was ready to progress into the ILZ, I would use a Cyclops to carry enough materials down to set up a medium-large forward base in the Tree Cove. That location is so perfect (no hostile wildlife, right at the max depth for a Seamoth, multiple thermal vents for power, uranite crystals nearby) that I'm pretty sure the devs intentionally set up that area as a safe zone for the player before venturing into the endgame. This would be a sizeable base with a full farm and multiple water purifiers so as to be a safe place to fully restock before heading into the depths.

Beyond this point, I might build a few single corridor outposts in side caves in the ILZ (or inside the lava castle) to have a place to recharge power cells.

In terms of the game encouraging multiple bases, I actually like that idea as long as it's done with a carrot rather than a stick. Underwater storms coming and wrecking your base wouldn't be fun for a new player who didn't realize that they should have built deeper initially. We already have a more positive reason in the form of the scanner room. A further positive reason could be something like a perimeter defense field that requires a lot of power to run, but creates a sizeable safe zone (at least against medium/small predators).

Maybe we could also have wrecks or precursor bases that need to be powered to become fully accessible, so the player has to build a base nearby with sufficient power generation.
  • SpacedInvaderSpacedInvader Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211083Members
    After nearly 200 hours in game, I've only just now come to a point where I think it might be prudent to build a secondary base since I've got a long, deep, dangerous dive ahead of me and having somewhere close to the entry point for that undertaking to fall back to in case of disaster seems prudent. That said, I would love to have a real reason to have a base somewhere other than the safe shallows. Right now, there are very few places on the map (and zero above ground) that take long enough to get to / from with the cyclops to bother with building a base there unless you like the scenery. Even the scanner room, as the previous poster mentions, only really needs the room itself and a way to power it, so at most two rooms and a reactor, which, though technically a base, is not really anything I'd bother going to beyond a quick scan or two.

I actually like your idea for storms as they could provide strong incentive to move out of the safe shallows. I also don't think they would be much of a problem for newer players if they are constructed correctly. All you'd have to do is set them up to arrive after a reasonable amount of time (8-10 in-game hours) and with plenty of radio signal warning (the Aurora weather detection system could remain functional on automatic) and then set the timer not to start until you've built / repaired a communications relay to be sure you'd get the warnings. Additionally, I would avoid having them just destroy the base outright, but instead make them cause your base structural integrity to drop by some massive number like -250 or -500 for the duration (which should be at least 1-2 in game hours to make them more than just a nuisance) so you could theoretically harden your base against them with tons of reinforcements if you really wanted to. This would also prevent you from losing everything if for some reason you were caught unprepared, as your stuff would still be there you'd just be unable to drain the base for a long duration.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    I mostly build one big base on the border of Safe shallows/Kelp forst & Grassy plateous. Later in the game I try to build a decent sized base in the Tree Cove. You could do quick enough supply runs with a Seamoth with enough storage modules on it to build and support a decent size base.

The "forcing the player to move to other biomes/depths" part you suggested is something I would not like to see. Especially since you can't get all ressources in each biome. You will always kinda need access to many biomes when you want to build anything bigger. And at least for me no warning time no mater how long would justify the destruction of a base. You know how build crazy some players can get. And after several hours comes a storm that destroys your stuff and or limits access to it? Nope not for me please. :wink:

I think it is part of Subnauticas charme that you can build almost everywhere and that it does not restrict you in base size as long as you keep an eye on your SI counter. Limiting that freedom would detract from the whole "open-world"-ish aspect of the game.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    edited May 2017
    I'd really hate it if shallow-base destroying storms were added. All my bases are fairly shallow so far.

I'm just setting up a new base close to the 4-biome boundaries. Even got one foundation just under the waves for solar panels yet close enough to pass power to the nearby foundations for the actual base. That way it get max solar power; it's so shallow that when on top my player character sometimes stands up and walks instead of swims.
  • TriforceDragonTriforceDragon Denmark Join Date: 2016-11-18 Member: 224044Members
    I usually have three bases in a playthrough.

One in the Safe Shallows, mostly as storage once it becomes a problem.

I then place a larger main base out near the dunes, right at the bord of the Grassy Plateua, the Dunes and the Blood Kelp trench. It is close to several wrecks, primarily the one down in the Blood Kelp trench, the cliffs are filled with Quartz, Uranium and large gold deposits and it is not that far to the Grand Reef.

Finally I place a base down in the Lost River, near the tree, because it has some good vents, is just at the limit of what a fully dive upgraded Seamoth can handle and provides a good staging area for heading into the lava zones, letting me easily resupply and recharge between missions down there. Also the Lost River has plenty of Quartz and Titanium as well.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    I often build 2 larger bases in a playthru as well, one usually near a thermal vent in the shallow and one deeper often at the cove tree in the Lost River or in/near the giant skeleton. Im a big fan one smaller outposts as well which i build everywhere that i like the scenery. They've been updating terrain in the past few Updates so those outposts change locations from playthru to playthru (small outposts usually consist of only a few tubes, sometimes one MP room for practicallity)
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    I build mine at the precursor QEP, so I can use the teleporters when they are added.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited May 2017
    Building bases is currently 95% pointless. It serves as nothing more than a gateway to vehicle access.

Only if they can give buildings an actual purpose should we be encouraged to build more of them. If I resent having to build one base at the moment, I'm going to resent having to build multiple bases a lot more. (If I could live out of my Seamoth, I would, and I do so as much as is possible. Building structures is immersion breaking and unrealistic, so I stay away from it as much as I can.)
    Giving building a real meaning and purpose is a lot more important to do before even considering such questions.
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    edited May 2017
    One of my first mods was a base drill that extracted minerals from each biome. I had planned on using multiple rooms to set it up like a control room and a storage room and stuff
    The idea was to use these bases as the only way to gather rock from each biome which could be used for crafting seamoth or cyclops and other things
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    I usually build a little microbase under/near the life pod at the beginning, to get more storage until I sort out where I want to build my main base. Then I build my main base (usually by the thermal vent in the SW shallows) and that serves as my only real base until very late in the game. Other than those two, I only build Outposts near dangerous zones where I need to spend an extended period of time exploring/harvesting, or sometimes I go Camping with my Seamoth.

My previous posts on Microbases, Outposts and Camping:
    https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2296518/#Comment_2296518

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/143001/establishing-an-outpost-a-guide

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/143581/camping-with-your-seamoth-a-mini-guide
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Building bases is currently 95% pointless. It serves as nothing more than a gateway to vehicle access.

Only if they can give buildings an actual purpose should we be encouraged to build more of them. If I resent having to build one base at the moment, I'm going to resent having to build multiple bases a lot more. (If I could live out of my Seamoth, I would, and I do so as much as is possible. Building structures is immersion breaking and unrealistic, so I stay away from it as much as I can.)
    Giving building a real meaning and purpose is a lot more important to do before even considering such questions.

Such as you have to be within 1 Km. at all times. The PDA mentions this when first building a base, but never really mentions it again.

Not only would this give an area gating effect while still giving plenty of wiggle space for resource gathering; it gives a use to bases for acquiring new tech/resources/areas.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited May 2017
    Why would you have to stay within any distance of a base? That would be massively immersion/game breaking.

Arbitrary restrictions (especially when they only artificially lengthen/waste your time) are a game's death sentence.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I use a big base in safe shallows near a lava pit for the heat.

But I do see a chance to make a few outposts the further and deeper I go. I did in the very early builds of SN when stuff was less forgiving. (no biobeds to grow stuff)
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I really wish you had to have a sprawling base with all kinds of mining or research-related stuff going on. An "extractor" would be built inside a Multipurpose Room, on top of a mineral spot. A "refiner" would be built in a different area of the map, next to a power source, etc. And a corridor would be built between them, occupied by little robots taking the various materials to their proper places.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Why would you have to stay within any distance of a base? That would be massively immersion/game breaking.

Arbitrary restrictions (especially when they only artificially lengthen/waste your time) are a game's death sentence.

Yeah, not the greatest idea I've had.

But it was the only one that actually made sense canon-wise.

You have any better ideas? I'm out of good ones.
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    Skope wrote: »
    Racer1 wrote: »
    I really wish you had to have a sprawling base with all kinds of mining or research-related stuff going on. An "extractor" would be built inside a Multipurpose Room, on top of a mineral spot. A "refiner" would be built in a different area of the map, next to a power source, etc. And a corridor would be built between them, occupied by little robots taking the various materials to their proper places.
    nesrak1 wrote: »
    One of my first mods was a base drill that extracted minerals from each biome. I had planned on using multiple rooms to set it up like a control room and a storage room and stuff
    The idea was to use these bases as the only way to gather rock from each biome which could be used for crafting seamoth or cyclops and other things
    edited May 2017
    Skope wrote: »

Lots, but it's too late to implement any unless they want to postpone release for a while.

For example, this game is crying out for NPCs. Survivors who you can rescue, and who can inhabit the bases you build. Building bases when you're the only person around is depressing as hell and more of a chore than a pleasure.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    I avoid using the cyclops... or the seamoth solar charger... this means I need moonpools to recharge efficiently... this makes me build in more areas!

So three moonpool bases for recharging (equidistant) and one or two bases for moving through lost-river... towards ILZ...

I'll also build a few bases for emergency rations (farming) in areas I'm likely to be working (usually tucked into caves)... but these are pretty minimal and mainly for the view.

Honestly, I'd have ores (which are larger) and refineries (which produce compact ingots)... in order to encourage building bases closer to resources... similarly, I'd have it so building a base would expand the variety of resources you can harvest (e.g. some areas don't have any quartz, but a refinery inside a multipurpose room could extract small amounts of quartz from other ores)... this would mean less time travelling between areas and more time building/travelling inside of a biome!
    edited May 2017

How exactly is base building more immersion breaking than using the cyclops infinite energy loop to survive? I would think spending months living out of a submarine that you willed into existence in the same manner as you would a base would be far more unrealistic. I would also point out that if the builder wasn't a thing, you are far more likely to be able to construct a static underwater structure like a base than you'd ever be to build a complex machine like a cyclops or even seamoth.
    edited May 2017

How exactly is base building more immersion breaking than using the cyclops infinite energy loop to survive? I would think spending months living out of a submarine that you willed into existence in the same manner as you would a base would be far more unrealistic. I would also point out that if the builder wasn't a thing, you are far more likely to be able to construct a static underwater structure like a base than you'd ever be to build a complex machine like a cyclops or even seamoth.

I didn't say it was more immersion breaking. They are both ridiculous concepts and I don't like the Cyclops for the same reason. The Seamoth I can live with, because it's small enough to rationalise in various ways, though it too is immersion breaking. ("I found it in the Aurora's storage deck"... which would be a great way of giving a Seamoth to the player, actually, instead of unrealistically building it from sci-fi magic.)
    edited May 2017

I didn't say it was more immersion breaking. They are both ridiculous concepts and I don't like the Cyclops for the same reason. The Seamoth I can live with, because it's small enough to rationalise in various ways, though it too is immersion breaking. ("I found it in the Aurora's storage deck"... which would be a great way of giving a Seamoth to the player, actually, instead of unrealistically building it from sci-fi magic.)

I can see where you're coming from here, but I guess I just don't agree. Its the future, we're on an alien planet on the "edge of known space", arrived at through the use of faster than light travel. While I would like certain constructions to be more resource intensive, I am willing to believe that 3D printing of complex structures through the use of atomic / molecular positioning is possible. With that said, I think not being able to build a base would be highly unrealistic, as shelter is always one of the first and most important tasks for any survival of indeterminate length. But again, that's my opinion and you are welcome to maintain your own views.
    edited May 2017
    I think not being able to build a base would be highly unrealistic, as shelter is always one of the first and most important tasks for any survival of indeterminate length.

I entirely agree, and that shelter would of course be on land, made from wood and safe from any nasty fauna.
    But I suppose as we've already dismissed any sense of realism when we introduced sci-fi magic into the mix, so any discussion on realism (or lack thereof) is ultimately redundant.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    They need to work out the damage model before we should be forced to go deeper and into more dangerous territory. I don't like the idea of being effectively forced to go deeper, mostly because the shallows are really pretty and a nice spot to build a base. I'd build deeper anyway because I like building, but eh. I can't really think of any way to force the player to do so that wouldn't render bases almost entirely pointless (like breaking them and destroying hours of loot gathering)
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    I think not being able to build a base would be highly unrealistic, as shelter is always one of the first and most important tasks for any survival of indeterminate length.

I entirely agree, and that shelter would of course be on land, made from wood and safe from any nasty fauna.
    But I suppose as we've already dismissed any sense of realism when we introduced sci-fi magic into the mix, so any discussion on realism (or lack thereof) is ultimately redundant.

Honestly, I'd rather be away from the crabs.
  • JozrozJozroz Sweden Join Date: 2017-05-15 Member: 230525Members
    edited May 2017
    Perhaps an alternative to storms destroying/damaging bases would be an electric storm that renders bases unpowered during the duration of the storm. That would encourage players to build bases deeper, while also allowing the story's storm as experienced by the Degassi to affect the player.

On a side note: it does feel odd that the planet doesn't experience adverse weather patterns considering the proximity and relative size of the moon.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    Jozroz wrote: »
    On a side note: it does feel odd that the planet doesn't experience adverse weather patterns considering the proximity and relative size of the moon.

I'd kind of like to see some tidal effects, particularly during an eclipse.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    scubamatt wrote: »
    Jozroz wrote: »

I'd kind of like to see some tidal effects, particularly during an eclipse.

How would you go about this? You'd have to make the eclipses a lot longer to really see any effect, but they'd have to be drastic enough to have an effect beyond the first thirty minutes of play while not being game breaking... any ideas on how to implement it?
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Right now the best reason to make more than 1 base is the cyclops.
    It each so much power that making a base near areas for deep dives is like mandatory.

I got a base near the big blue tree, powered by heat.
    It has a bunch of powercell chargers, water filtration and food production. I can live there forever, although bored.
    So its nice on hard dives.
    May 'soon' see if I will shove in a moonbay for the heck of it, save even more cyclops power.
  • EstebanLB01EstebanLB01 Join Date: 2017-05-09 Member: 230377Members
    One idea that comes to mind is the need to do experiments to progress (tech, materials or just the story), be it with fauna or flora, in a determined biome. Therefore, you will need to construct a research outpust there to do them
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    One idea that comes to mind is the need to do experiments to progress (tech, materials or just the story), be it with fauna or flora, in a determined biome. Therefore, you will need to construct a research outpust there to do them

That's a great, lore-friendly way to encourage building multiple bases. Additionally, maybe we could have special points of interest that would require a base at that specific location in addition to the general biome research bases.