Camping With Your Seamoth: A Mini Guide

scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
To me, the Seamoth reminds me of a Volkswagen Bug, like the one I had as a teenager. One of the things I did with that old Bug was go camping a lot, since you could toss a pretty fair pile of gear in the front cargo compartment, and it got amazing gas mileage.

So I got a little nostalgic and came up with this little guide, on how to go camping in your Seamoth.

Tune up your ride
You'll want to make a total of five mods for it - Hull Reinforcement, Storage Solution (aka Cargo Compartment), Perimeter Defense System, Pressure Compensator MK3 (that will take a lot of resources, but its worth it), and finally the Solar Charger. Fit the Perimeter Defense System first (it will end up in the #1 slot on your HUD later), then the Hull Reinforcement, then the Pressure Compensator MK3, and finally the Cargo Compartment. Hang on to the fifth mod, the Solar Charger, for now.

Fly your colors
Use the Seamoth Modification Station to rename your Seamoth to something appropriate for a free spirit out camping on the cheap, and maybe change the color scheme to reflect this. Mine looks like a roll of Lifesavers and is named "Ziggy" after a guy named Mike Alvarez that I knew in high school. It screams 'hippy' when you look at it, perfect for camping in a Bug. Don't judge me, bro, I'm a child of the 60s.

Assemble your camping gear
Make a Beacon. Deploy it somewhere and change the name to "Camp", then recover the beacon so you can use it later.
Make a Waterproof Locker, label it "Stuff" or something equally helpful. Its basically a big backpack for your stuff now, anyway.
Put the Solar Recharger mod inside of the Waterproof Locker. That leaves 15 empty spaces, which you want to fill with these things:
  • Titanium x9
  • Quartz x2
  • Glass x1
  • that Beacon you made earlier
  • a Marblemelon Seed (its just a seed, Officer)
  • a First Aid Kit (accidents happen, and there are snakes and bugs out there)

Pack it all in the car
Now that the Waterproof Locker is full of your stuff, stuff it into the cargo compartment of the Seamoth.
You are ready to go camping, now. Remember to bring your usual gear, like a Habitat Tool and you know, air tanks and stuff.

Head for the wilderness
Don't worry about running the charge down on your Seamoth while your traveling to your camping spot, as long as you're above 200m depth when you set up camp, everything will be cool, you'll see. If you have to, give any pesky wildlife a tickle with the Perimeter Defense System - it encourages them to hassle someone else.

Pick out a nice camp site
Found a groovy spot to relax and hang out? Park the Seamoth directly above where you plan to camp, get out and drag your Waterproof Locker out of the Cargo Compartment. Deploy it next to where you want to set up your shelter. Now open it up to get to your stuff, and transfer the contents to your personal inventory.

Pitch your tent
Use the Habitat Tool to create a Tee corridor section first, remember to use the Q/E keys to rotate it so the stem of the Tee faces towards the best view. Now add a hatch to the stem of the Tee, so you have a little window facing your view. Next, add a Solar Panel to the top of the Tee. Assuming its day time, in a second or two you'll see the power come on inside, and your tent is ready for you to move in. Go inside and make a Bench along the back wall, directly opposite the hatch you came in. Now you'll be able to look out the hatch while you relax. Now make a Planter Pot next to the bench, and plant your Marblemelon Seed in it. In a little while, that seed will make you some snacks to deal with any cravings you might have.

Park the car and plug it in
Go back outside, open the access panel on the Seamoth, and remove the Cargo Compartment mod. In its place, fit the Solar Charger mod. Congratulations, your vehicle will recharge itself as long as there's daylight. I told you these things get amazing mileage. I like to move it down closer to my tent, so I don't have to swim very far when I come out of the shelter in the morning. Same thing for my Waterproof Locker, I put it right next to the hatch. Put the Cargo Compartment mod into the Waterproof Locker, and go back inside the tent.

Appreciate your Zen Garden
Take a seat on the Bench, and just relax. Contemplate your little planter and the miracle of life.You won't need food or water while you meditate, so just do some navel gazing until the Marblemelon is ready to harvest. Once it is, harvest it with your knife to get four more seeds. Replant all four in the planter and relax some more on the bench. While you are waiting, consider the fact that you are leaving zero carbon footprints on the local wilderness, since your vehicle is drinking up solar power, and you're gonna be eating free range gluten free organic Marblemelons in a few minutes. Once the four fresh melons are ready to harvest, pick three for your dinner and harvest the fourth for seeds that you replant. Its the cycle of life, man.

Explore the neighborhood
Now that you have a little camp site, you're all set for food, water, and fuel. Deploy that Beacon right above your tent, so you can find your way back here later. Now go ahead and explore around your camp, use the Seamoth if you want, or stretch your legs if you prefer. Maybe take some nice pictures with your PDA, play fetch with a Stalker, or just listen to the Reefbacks singing.

Time to go
All done? Right on. Let's strike camp and head home. Leave no trace, right? First thing you do is swap out the Cargo Compartment Mod with the Solar Charger mod. Put the Solar Charger Mod back into the Waterproof Locker. Go inside the tent, make sure you have one seed for future gardens, and eat all the rest of the fruit. (You can replant the extra seeds, then deconstruct the planter to avoid leaving seeds laying around.) Deconstruct the planter pot, then the bench. The tent should be empty now, so go outside and deconstruct the Solar Panel next. Then the Hatch, then the Tee corridor. Put everything back into the Waterproof Locker, then put the locker back in the Seamoth's cargo compartment. Make sure any campfires are extinguished (remember, only you can prevent forest fires) and then hop back in the car for the ride home.

6msWdid.jpg

Comments