How do we want to save (Do we want autosave)?

AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
https://trello.com/c/0q2rUOQV/6379-autosave-on-quit
« hide previous quotes
Always save on quit no matter what.
Also get rid of Quit to Desktop and always quit to menu instead.
Make the button called "Save and Quit".

Comments

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    A seperate Autosave slot might be nice, a lot of games have a feature like that. I wouldn't really want the game to overwrite my file no matter what though. Like if I'm playing normally and then decide to goof off with the console then exit the game... I wouldn't want the game saving over my legit game file just because I exited. :/
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Rezca wrote: »
    A seperate Autosave slot might be nice, a lot of games have a feature like that. I wouldn't really want the game to overwrite my file no matter what though. Like if I'm playing normally and then decide to goof off with the console then exit the game... I wouldn't want the game saving over my legit game file just because I exited. :/

That's why I put Autosave, Manual Save, and also ability to "Exit without saving", or revert to previous manual save (although that would probably be better handled in the load game section, "load autosave or manual save?"
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    Rezca wrote: »

I used to use a minecraft mod that did this exact thing.
  • OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
    "Save cheating" is hard to resist, so no exit without saving. Autosave is needed because crashes. We need the following:
    -Autosave
    -Manual save
    -Save & exit
  • TriforceDragonTriforceDragon Denmark Join Date: 2016-11-18 Member: 224044Members
    Make it something you can modify.

If players want an "Ironman" style run of the game only autosaving, doing so regularly and at major events (like death) so that the player cannot save scum (cannot do so easily at least, usually there are ways around it), then let that be an option.

If people want manual saving or a hybrid of autosaving and manual saving, let that be an option.

The way a player can save can influence the difficulty and risk quite a bit, so why not give the option to modify it when starting a new game?
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    So, what I'm seeing is:

- A consensus that players don't want to be forced to only use autosave (everyone wants a manual save option)

- Disagreement about whether players should be able to quit without saving (with a minority of players wanting players to be forced to play 'ironman')
  • SpacedInvaderSpacedInvader Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211083Members
    edited May 2017
    I can definitely get behind the idea of any autosave option, but it must be something you can turn on and off from within the game. This is important for me as I often switch to creative mode to rough out my base building so I can have it always be daytime and so I don't have to have the resources on hand just to brainstorm new ideas and then when I'm done I revert to the save I made just prior to going into creative. I would not be willing to lose this ability just to get an autosave feature. I think it also goes without saying that I would hate an enforced save on close without the option to disable it. If someone else wants to play in iron man mode, that's their right, but it's not for me.
  • KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
    edited May 2017
    The biggest change is restructuring the game's start up menu(s) to allow for multiple saves.

Right now we have multiple game slots, but loading any of those games always takes you to the last save point for that game. I get the feeling we're looking for more flexibility.

How about this -- to the right of a game's slot are three buttons:
    • Continue (loads most recent save / auto-save, just like now)
    • Load Save (pops up a list where you can choose which save point to load)
    • Delete (works like the 'X' does now)

To cut down on visual clutter, those buttons only appear when your cursor is hovering over the specific game slot.

Once we get the ability to choose which save point to load, then we can debate the value of auto-saves and when they should occur, quick-save and quick-load keys, ironman modes, etc.

Edit: Would be really nice if we could enter a name for our game(s) and save point(s) so when looking at the lists we can easily tell what's what.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Usually a hardcore game with permadeath needs forced saves and restrictions to a single save file only. That would mean forced saving whenever you enter/exit structures or the game. Players can always bypass this by simulating a crash exit, but it's mainly for players who want to play it the hard way.

Standart players should have more than a save as they can die multiple times anyway.

But you might want to keep a save for testing purposes or as a showcase for others. Or there is a bug and a dev wants to look into the save file, but that would be overwritten long ago. So creating a second save should be always possible. Maybe these second saves could be called testsaves and be stripped from achievements and further saving, so once a testsave is made, it can't be saved again, only loaded or sent to a dev or another player.

So I'd pledge for a single forced save system, but with exporting testsaves that can be saved only once. Loading from an exported testsave should disable saving.
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    i like having multiple saves of the same game usually encase i die or loose something important, but it helps a lot to have a backup as sometimes auto-saves get corrupted such as during a brown-out or total power outage
  • Dead_zedDead_zed US West coast Join Date: 2015-05-24 Member: 204825Members
    After playing Breath of the Wild, i found that the 1 min or so autosave, took away a lot of the risk out of the game. Works great in Zelda but I dont think it would work here. I feel it would take away the sense of adventure, if you could respawn just a few meters back at full health with all items.

I like the ability to exit to menu without saving, so I can build or test new stuff without making it a permanent change.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited May 2017
    Normal difficulties:
    Manual save only. Autosave is annoying and encourages lazy play. Manual save system should absolute include a good old F5 quick-save as it's the best innovation in gaming history.
    However, saving should be limited. You should only be able to save while inside your base(s) so every excursion outside is a risk, something to overcome and survive.
    If you are able to save anywhere, every single bit of tension in the game is removed. So keep saving limited to when your character is "safe" inside the base.

Hardcore:
    You only live once. The game will only save upon exiting the game, and only when inside your base. If you try to quit when outside the game will warn you the game won't be saved.
    Usually I would also say "If you die, the game is automatically deleted" however, with this game, you will always have a chance to die from bugs. Clipping into things and getting stuck then drowning etc.
    Besides, there's nothing stopping a player from copying the save file at regular intervals anyway, if their conscience allows it.

This game really isn't ever going to be stable enough for a proper Ironman mode, so maybe just allow one save slot on hardcore, but still allow reloading because at some point you will inevitably get killed by a bug, and if that happens after 50 hours you're going to be furious.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Personally, a "save reminder" that pops up after a certain amount of time would be awesome.

Might be immersion-breaking, but also a lifesaver.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Personally, a "save reminder" that pops up after a certain amount of time would be awesome.

Might be immersion-breaking, but also a lifesaver.

Reminds me of the immersion-breaking O2 reminder that doesn't do a good job anyways.

Although ... in nature if our human body gets in danger the body signals flood our perception with non immersive pain more than enough.

But as long as we agree on a single savegame, autosaving every minute would be far more immersive and save.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    That is assuming the autosave doesn't corrupt our game files (or prevent us from quitting after a catastrophic glitch).

Imagine a player being stuck walking on the ocean floor and unable to swim due to the base glitch... one could easily get trapped in a depression.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I think saving inside base on both autosave and manual save is the way to go.
    Saving anywhere else should probably be removed.
    Base = any powered base. One may argue the cyclops counts also as a save point.
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    This since it will stop people from saving and then reverting back to before dying as that takes away all the danger
  • SodaSavvySodaSavvy Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230487Members
    Have as many options as reasonably possible. Have multiple save files for different runs, as well as backups when necessary. Have the ability to toggle autosave for those who prefer it. Have the ability for manual saves for when one doesn't want to wait around until the next autosave, or lose time. Have a pre-start Ironman Mode checkbox for those who want it.

Have the option to choose where the saves are stored!

More options are always better, and the fewer options there are the easier it is for a crash or bug to wreck hours of work.

And leave Exit to Desktop. I already have enough games where it's faster to terminate them through task manager on alt-tab/second monitor than to exit from ingame. I really don't want another.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    NerdyEric wrote: »
    This since it will stop people from saving and then reverting back to before dying as that takes away all the danger

Forced autosaving will also prevent people from reverting back before serious bugs. Which still happen.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    How about having the previous saved game marked every time you die, so even if you load it to escape death, it still knows you died. Then have an achievement for beating the game without any deaths.
  • luxidopteraluxidoptera Join Date: 2017-05-16 Member: 230551Members
    Lots of options is a good idea to me. You'd want to accomodate lots of playstyles, so lots of save options is a good idea imo.

I personally would like the game to autosave, but also have a Fallout-type quicksave, so you can quicksave before doing something risky.
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    edited May 2017
    Oh cheating this, oh cheating that, I'm so pro because I only autosave... blah blah blah

Takes 10 seconds to make a memory dump and load it as needed. Even if game has no saving feature as long as you are on PC you can save.
  • JozrozJozroz Sweden Join Date: 2017-05-15 Member: 230525Members
    edited May 2017
    Autosave upon reëntering an inventory secure point, the start of a new day cycle, and game exit. Manual save only in secure points.

Autosave in secure points would be very helpful, those moments you forget to save after returning with a massive haul, only to have the game crash shortly after... Yesch.
  • AmbaireAmbaire Join Date: 2016-06-27 Member: 219206Members
    Jozroz wrote: »
    Autosave upon reëntering an inventory secure point, the start of a new day cycle, and game exit. Manual save only in secure points.Autosave in secure points would be very helpful, those moments you forget to save after returning with a massive haul, only to have the game crash shortly after... Yesch.

Agreed. I started a new run a couple days ago, entered and exited my base a bunch, but forgot to do a manual save before exiting. Get back in... and the last autosave was somehow only 10 minutes in.

Also, I like being able to save anywhere. Way down in the caves in my seamoth and want to do something else or get tired and want to go to bed? As it is right now, I don't have to spend 10 minutes finding my way back up to my base.
  • Amazing_AquacatAmazing_Aquacat North Texas Join Date: 2017-05-22 Member: 230676Members
    There is a "work around" to create your own multiple saves in a way. Create a separate backup folder and copy your current saved game there, ideally before you've launched the game. I'm currently playing one game across two computers so I wanted to be able to transfer my saved files. For my purposes the quickest way to transfer files was to use a USB Flash drive as uploading to offline storage took too long. I downloaded SyncToy from Microsoft (it's free) and use that to create pairings that I run before or after a play session.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited May 2017
    I think a lot of folks are forgetting that this is a SOLO PLAYER game...

There is absolutely no reason to force upon other players, ones particular favorite play-style.

There's no actual effect to other players if one chooses to save at a particular point or not.
    It's not really cheating, since the only one being affected is oneself.

And if one doesn't have the capacity to Not Use a particular game saving option, then that's that players problem and shouldn't be an argument against Not Having a particular saving option for others.

There is also no actual effect to other players if one chooses not to use a particular saving option. (Ironman)

Therefore, having as many Saving Options in the game as the Dev's choose to, and have time too create is the best option for all.

B)
  • tommy21toestommy21toes Subnautica Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230666Members
    I would like to see a save system nearly identical to how Skyrim or Fallout works. You autosave when entering or exiting bases/cyclops, you can manual save while in the environment, and you have access to quicksave and quickload anywhere.

If you start a new game the autosave gets overwritten on first save, so before making a new game you would want to create a full save first. Also for this to work out, I would like the ability to name my saves.
  • supertiger2340supertiger2340 Eugene OR USA Join Date: 2017-07-21 Member: 231956Members
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    I'd really like to have some sort of save functionality in hardcore, just as a measure against game crashes without the hassle of waiting for the game to reload every time.
  • XautosXautos Join Date: 2017-07-31 Member: 232161Members
    edited August 2017
    i would like to see autosave points everytime you enter your escape pod, seabase, cyclops, aurora and each prescursor base and cache, also the same when leaving those same objects, this includes items docking or undocking from the cyclops and moonpool.

autosave points every 5-120 minute intervals that can be adjusted from options as well as options to turn on and off the save feature.

finally an autosave on exit while retaining the ability to manually save. the autosave file is in it's own save point and can not be overwritten from in game with an attempted manual save over it. it can only be overwritten by another autosave and underneath is several manual save points.

To go with the idea behind this, i am hoping the devs come up with a way to export the save folder out so you can create new save folders and load up old ones. i figure perhaps before loading into the game and after choosing a new game that there is an in game character naming so each save folder can be named invididually and and loaded up as such with an extended load and save support.