Any advice for a new starter to the game?

SubnaticbroV2SubnaticbroV2 Join Date: 2017-04-24 Member: 229918Members
Hey, I'm new to Subnautica and I really need some advice on where to build a base and stuff like that. Can anyone help me?

Comments

• SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited May 2017
    Honestly, wherever you want.

There aren't any restrictions for base building, so you want to build in the shallows? Go ahead. You want to build in the Kelp Forest? There ain't no stoppin' you. You want to build in Reaper infested Dunes? To each their own, I guess.

But I guess if you want specific places that are beneficial, I would go with near the Deep Grand Reef, as that place is important to the story.
  • william1134william1134 Join Date: 2017-01-09 Member: 226439Members
    I don't think you should spoil the storyline too much by asking these questions. I found a great deal of pleasure in the game from just discovering new stuff that would had been spoilt by reading the forums.
  • SubnaticbroV2SubnaticbroV2 Join Date: 2017-04-24 Member: 229918Members
    Skope wrote: »

There aren't any restrictions for base building, so you want to build in the shallows? Go ahead. You want to build in the Kelp Forest? There ain't no stoppin' you. You want to build in Reaper infested Dunes? To each their own, I guess.

But I guess if you want specific places that are beneficial, I would go with near the Deep Grand Reef, as that place is important to the story.

Yeah, definitely no reapers, nor leviathans near my base......I hope...
    I don't think you should spoil the storyline too much by asking these questions. I found a great deal of pleasure in the game from just discovering new stuff that would had been spoilt by reading the forums.

I know the storyline, I just need some tips and tricks to the game
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2017
    The basic starting out tip is to use your escape pod as your main base for a while and after you've found some blue prints go ahead and place a secondary base (your new main base actually) on a spot where multiple biomes meet to get that resource/blueprint gathering efficiency.

If you're up to this point and have a self sustaining base, you should know more than enough to start exploring the depth of Subnautica

-pun soOoO intended
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited May 2017
    The best spot that I put a base is either : the Bloodgrass - Shallows - kelp forest - crash zone junction, or next to the energy pulse origin. You'll find out what I mean soon enough.

Picture of junction location to be added soon.

ALSO - It is possible to navigate the world with just two beacons. Put one at the front of the Aurora, then one at the back. Name them A and B.
    From these two beacons, you will be able to triangulate your position, and just keep a log of the spots you've found stuff at in a notepad (if you don't consider that cheating.) Note: I have not tried this, but I will expect it to work fairly well, along with the depth meter.
    Skope wrote: »

Honestly, I wouldn't build in the DGR. There are creatures down there, and you don't want to build anything powered near them.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    If you're up to this point and have a self sustaining base, you should know more than enough to start exploring the depth of Subnautica

-pun soOoO intended

@Kouji_San You should bow your head down in shame! God killed 10 kitten on that one :fearful:

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »

-pun soOoO intended

@Kouji_San You should bow your head down in shame! God killed 10 kitten on that one :fearful:

12059779785_64fb54c08f_o.jpg
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    Try to find an area without too many predators (they attack bases now).

Harder to build in deeper areas, there's more pressure.

Make sure you build in a place with plenty of table coral. You will need it for computer chips and you can't grow it yourself.

Make sure there is room. You don't want to build your moon pool too close to the ground.
  • LilwolfLilwolf OH, USA Join Date: 2017-05-08 Member: 230358Members
    Predators will attack your base. So, initially, create a base in a safe location. You can always get your resources back and move your base with the fabricator (just do it piece by piece..)
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    edited May 2017
    ...gives tons of good advice...

This is the guy I want as my partner when we crash land on a planet.

I'll add some further advice in the same 'no spoiler' theme:

1. Generally, you want to use your life pod as your first 'home base', because it has unlimited (recharging, anyway) power, and a fabricator plus the ever useful medkits. It has limited storage space, though, so you'll either spend some resources making Waterproof Lockers, or using natural depressions in the sea floor to pile stuff up.
    2. You need to maintain your supply of food and water of course, but your short term goals should be to increase your mobility, your travel range, and your ability to harvest resources - this means fins, another air tank or two, and a survival knife.
    3. Your PDA has *tons* of useful info in it, beyond all of the fluffy story stuff. Pay attention to the recipes for things, and plan ahead to gather what you need.
    4. Most of the critters on the planet make unique noises. Learn which ones mean danger, and pay attention. This is not one of those games that is best played with the sound off.
    5. Prey fish are less active at night (easier for you to catch them), and predators are more active at night (easier for them to catch you).
    6. This planet has frequent, but brief, eclipses. While they are happening, its effectively Night Time (see #5).
    7. Save your game (using the menu) before you undertake any major/risky activity, and at least once per hour of real time. Its easy to forget to do this, and lose many hours of game play when you die.
    8. You can build a small base out of a corridor section (T/X/etc), a hatch, and a solar panel. This will have enough room inside to put most everything you need to survive. This is often the first base you make, not far from the life pod. Once you have the tech/resources to build a larger base (with fabricator/etc), you will probably have already explored enough to decide where to put it.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited May 2017
    Oh, one more big thing. Really important.

SCAN EVERYTHING.

I'm not kidding. First chance you get, you need to get a scanner made and keep it on you at all times. It's the only way you progress.

If it's sitting still, scan it.
    If it's swimming away, chase it and scan it.
    If it's trying to eat you...well...keep dodging and scanning. Unless it's the size of the Chrysler building. Those can wait.

And these right here:
    scubamatt wrote: »
    4. Most of the critters on the planet make unique noises. Learn which ones mean danger, and pay attention. This is not one of those games that is best played with the sound off.
    5. Prey fish are less active at night (easier for you to catch them), and predators are more active at night (easier for them to catch you).

Take them to heart. @scubamatt nailed one of the most important (and downright cool) aspects of the game.

(Lots of games include sounds that just serve as atmosphere. Not here. Everything you hear is a clue about your immediate surroundings, and every critter makes some sort of vocalization. Hear 'em, learn 'em, heed 'em. Because when you get right down to it, most of the predators on the planet are kinda like Elmer Fudd (Be vewwy qwiet. I'm hunting divews.) because "stealth" is not their strong suit. Almost all of them can be heard before they're seen. After a while not only should you know the dangers by sound, but you'll be able to gauge roughly how far away that little meanie is based on the sound. Some predators you can hear a long way off. Others, not until it's almost too late to avoid getting chomped. General rule: the bigger the sound, the bigger the fish. Works on Earth and on alien planets.)

(And @scubamatt? If Alterra faceplants the ship, I'll send you my lifepod number. You bring some batteries and a laser cutter; I'll get the compass, scanner, and repair tool. Ten bucks says we're enjoying a cold beer before first sundown.)

8. You can build a small base out of a corridor section (T/X/etc), a hatch, and a solar panel. This will have enough room inside to put most everything you need to survive. This is often the first base you make, not far from the life pod. Once you have the tech/resources to build a larger base (with fabricator/etc), you will probably have already explored enough to decide where to put it.

I've done this and it has worked BEAUTIFULLY I can store a lot in the little area and it's right next to my constantly drifting life pod.....stupid life pod.....

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members

I've done this and it has worked BEAUTIFULLY I can store a lot in the little area and it's right next to my constantly drifting life pod.....stupid life pod.....

Supposedly giving your lifepod a dose of Stasis Rifle will get it to stop drifting. Hitting it from the bottom will get it drifting again.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

Supposedly giving your lifepod a dose of Stasis Rifle will get it to stop drifting. Hitting it from the bottom will get it drifting again.

Awesome, I will have to try to bump it back over towards my base before I do that
    edited May 2017
    You can simply anchor 4 pieces of pipe around the life pod (one on each side, they don't have to be connected). That will prevent any drifting, permanently. Just put them sticking up/down vertically, like fence poles, close but not touching the pod.
    edited May 2017
    Pfft could be done with three man, anything is a triangle if you bend it hard enough :trollface:
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    To the problem with the drifting life pod. Did you repair it already? It can be overlooked but you can repair certain parts of the lifepod with a repairtool. I don't know if this is still a thing in the current game-version but the lifepod used to have a sort of "gravity-anchor" when it was fully repaired that held it in place. I think the line "Gravity-Anchor online" is no longer on the lifepod display after it has been repaired so I don't kow if it still holds the pod or not. It also was possible to "push" the lifepod where you wanted it to be. Again...did not try this for a while and can't say if it is still possible to swim against it and "push" it in the current build.
    You can simply anchor 4 pieces of pipe around the life pod (one on each side, they don't have to be connected). That will prevent any drifting, permanently. Just put them sticking up/down vertically, like fence poles, close but not touching the pod.

I tried that, let's just say....I never saw my life pod again.....
    It flew across the map
    edited May 2017
    I've never seen a lifepod drift, after I put up a four pole barrier. Are you playing experimental, or an old build perhaps?
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    I personally always get the habitat builder before anything else, start a small base near the edge of the safe shallows in a spot that looks nice (now that my default base location has been shredded) and then swim to the floating island for lantern fruits and to scan all the modules there

Oh and get a scanner before you go to the island there's heckin stuff to be scanned
  • mr_manmr_man Join Date: 2017-02-23 Member: 228164Members
    I play the game with paranoia so I found the small part of the safe shallows that directly connected to the grassy plateaus and built my base there. From there I built down to the
    jelly shroom caves . I then build a giagantic
    System of compartments to every biome and establish my bases. I'm more of a build/ explore player so I just do that and when I'm done I'll do the story
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    My lifepod is in the void as of this moment. Yeah, and I repaired it.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    I've started maybe 6-8 games and have never seen the Lifepod move. It's so strange to hear folks talking about it moving. I wonder if they are playing a completely different game than me. :)
    I've never seen a lifepod drift, after I put up a four pole barrier. Are you playing experimental, or an old build perhaps?

Nope, the in-game build
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Don't know what to tell you; mine's always stayed parked. Once I repair the lifepod systems, it doesn't move a bit.
  • ImmortalHunterImmortalHunter Surrey BC Canada Earth Join Date: 2016-10-04 Member: 222853Members
    So I'm the only one who saw this?
    H6xV3pN.jpg
    the whole "gravity anchor" thing.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited May 2017
    So I'm the only one who saw this?
    H6xV3pN.jpg
    the whole "gravity anchor" thing.

Sweet.