SEVERE LAG - Looking for root cause

BrenaTRONBrenaTRON California, US Join Date: 2017-01-26 Member: 227259Members
Hi,
I am experiencing severe lag in Subnautica. It is not in a particular game, but rather throughout the entire game (including the main menu). I have found that decreasing graphics resolution (down to the lowest setting: 320 x 200) greatly increases performance but is of course unplayable. I am trying to determine if the issue is due to compatibility or my computer. I have all drivers up to date and have tried all options available to reduce lag (including redownloading the game). I have also noticed my clock rate is way below the recommended clock rate. Is this the cause of my low response rate and fps?

Additional technical information can be found in my previous post here: https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/147676/severe-lag-tried-everything-to-fix-it#latest

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited May 2017
    BrenaTRON wrote: »
    GPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500

Any chance of you getting a decent graphics card? That one is... pretty low end (it's built into the CPU and not an actual graphics card).
  • DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    Your computer sounds a lot like the Surface Pro I used to use to play the game back in the day. Needless to say, you should expect some lag to happen with specs like that. An integrated graphics card does not seem to work well with the game. As the devs have previously stated before, the game "talks" to the GPU, and it sometimes doesn't recognize the intergrated GPU very well. (This used to be the cause of some odd repeatable crashes.)

If you don't mind playing the game at an incredibly low and inconsistent fps it should work *mostly* fine (certainly better since the recent updates). I found that while reducing quality and resolution sorta helped, it wasn't a significant enough boost. You're better off at recommended settings and just seeing how it goes.

Theoretically, you don't need good fps to play through most of the game. I managed it!

...Barely.

You should probably just play it on another PC.
  • BrenaTRONBrenaTRON California, US Join Date: 2017-01-26 Member: 227259Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    BrenaTRON wrote: »
    GPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500

Any chance of you getting a decent graphics card? That one is... pretty low end (it's built into the CPU and not an actual graphics card).

Well the thing is, I have a 2 in 1 laptop so I can't change the graphics card .-.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Ouch. OK, make sure when you play your power profile is set to "High Performance". It's not much, but it's something and should help a little bit.
  • SidTheFurretSidTheFurret Uhm, nah fam Join Date: 2017-05-14 Member: 230510Members
    edited May 2017
    1) Go to Local Disk (C:) -> Program Files (x86) -> Steam -> steamapps -> common -> Subnautica -> SNAppData -> SavedGames
    2) Delete these two files; CellsCache & CompiledOctreesCache (they're in SavedGames -> slot00XX)
    This might fix the lag.
  • ShervicoShervico Join Date: 2017-05-14 Member: 230494Members
    ^ Common resolve and worked for me on a couple of times,only if the problem is with the cache tho