Invincible Cyclops.... when not in inside

garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
Just saw this on the check-ins:

47548 /main 2017-05-05 18:20:45 Scott Thunelius Made cyclops completely invincible when not inside

Whoop!

:)

Comments

• SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited May 2017
    garath wrote: »
    Just saw this on the check-ins:

47548 /main 2017-05-05 18:20:45 Scott Thunelius Made cyclops completely invincible when not inside

Whoop!

:)

I knew that they were going to make the Cyclops stealthy. :D

EDIT: I just now realized that it says "invincible" and not "invisible"

I'll just, uh, I'll show myself out.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited May 2017
    gamer1000k wrote: »
    That kind of a change seems like a band-aid fix for a deeper problem, possibly with the creature AI or Cyclops physics that allowed to be easily damaged when the player isn't inside. Hopefully they'll have time to properly fix this before release.

The Cyclops should still take damage when the player isn't inside, but it should be in a reasonable way. Like the player ramming into it with another Cyclops, or parking it next to the Sea Dragon.

Agreed. After all, seabases take damage from wildlife when you're not in them. (Bloody gasopods.)
  • The08MetroidManThe08MetroidMan Join Date: 2016-09-23 Member: 222527Members
    gamer1000k wrote: »
    That kind of a change seems like a band-aid fix for a deeper problem, possibly with the creature AI or Cyclops physics that allowed to be easily damaged when the player isn't inside. Hopefully they'll have time to properly fix this before release.

The Cyclops should still take damage when the player isn't inside, but it should be in a reasonable way. Like the player ramming into it with another Cyclops, or parking it next to the Sea Dragon.

Agreed on it being a band-aid fix for a larger problem; damage values with creatures are too skewed for them to do much else without risking the ship get destroyed.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    The way you take damage inside or outside a vehicle is different. I've tested ramming every combination of vehicle against each other and found that the vehicle being rammed takes far more damage than the one doing the ramming. An unenhanced seamoth can ram a prawnsuit to death and with an armor upgrade can ram the cyclops to death. Prawnsuits can quickly wreak a cyclops just by jumping up and down on top of it. Invincibility when outside wouldn't be the worst bandaid, though it was fun deliberately scuttling a bunch of cyclops.dnvj2w6v7ulz.jpg

Welp..., now we know where old Cyclops go to die.

The Old Cyclops Graveyard.

B)
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    The way you take damage inside or outside a vehicle is different. I've tested ramming every combination of vehicle against each other and found that the vehicle being rammed takes far more damage than the one doing the ramming. An unenhanced seamoth can ram a prawnsuit to death and with an armor upgrade can ram the cyclops to death. Prawnsuits can quickly wreak a cyclops just by jumping up and down on top of it. Invincibility when outside wouldn't be the worst bandaid, though it was fun deliberately scuttling a bunch of cyclops.dnvj2w6v7ulz.jpg

Welp..., now we know where old Cyclops go to die.

The Old Cyclops Graveyard.

B)

farmers-188_hK8jjhe.jpg
    ...and Farmer's covered it, July 16, 2391. We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    edited May 2017
    farmers-188_hK8jjhe.jpg
    ...and Farmer's covered it, July 16, 2391. We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.

This from the guy who said they're supposed to be this bloody fragile? :*
    farmers-188_hK8jjhe.jpg

Yeah; it's called a "joke." They're fragile. You insure fragile things.

You really need to learn to let things go.

This coming from the guy who apparently missed the emoticon that was meant to signify that reply was also a joke?

You really need to learn to lighten up.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited May 2017
    farmers-188_hK8jjhe.jpg

... I think, @scifiwriterguy , if we are to have any faith in each other over the Interwebs, that this should be taken as @The08MetroidMan letting it go and cracking a joke. I'm assuming. Time will tell (please T8MM, don't be one of those asshats that makes snide "jokes" trying to drive their point home all the time. It's funny if it's in jest, when it's not, we figure it out pretty quick and it just means you're an ass. Like I said, time will tell, and I have faith that not everyone is a bridge troll. (: )
  • L4NDSL1DEL4NDSL1DE Planet 4546B Join Date: 2017-04-22 Member: 229850Members
    I think attack behavior should be tweaked for some creatures now, rather than adjusting the Cyclops back toward it's invincible former self in big steps like that. Hopefully it's to do some troubleshooting and will be readjusted.

- Bonesharks, River Prowlers, Lava Lizards and Ampeels should miss some of their bite attacks due to the shape and size of the Cyclops. Maybe they should even take longer between attacks as if they become dazed in the exchange.

- Crabsquids seem balanced enough as they prefer to use their EMP versus a physical attack and don't roam in large groups.

- Reaper Leviathans I think should receive a buff actually. Up to 150 damage from 80, if possible just against the Cyclops. The Cyclops is heavy enough to resist being moved, meaning a Reaper should be able to use it's weight and speed more effectively to hit it with higher force.

- Sea Dragons I think are fine as the hard counter to the Cyclops, but would like improved systems to deal with them such as the ability to launch Decoys forward like a torpedo mentioned in another Cyclops thread.

They also seem a bit too aggressive toward our Seamoth and Prawn when we're not in it. I'd expect some curiosity but they've started showing a tenacity in taking bites when we aren't looking. If the vehicle isn't moving and the lights are off (please give us a Prawn light toggle!) they should be drawn to other more interesting things like their normal prey or the player.

• DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited May 2017
    I've discovered that just about all the NON-electrical creatures in the game really do not like getting zapped in the face with the Seamoth's Perimeter Defense System.
    (including the Leviathans)

Couldn't we get something similar for the Cyclops?
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    I'm fine with the possibility of being able to repair your Cyclops from the interior. At least then, I can perform hotfixes when it's too smoking to drive properly.