Add Claw Arm Functionality to Grapple Arm

mikeloevenmikeloeven Join Date: 2017-04-14 Member: 229623Members
edited April 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
So just to point out the standard claw arm allows you to pick up items however the upgraded grapple arm lacks this ?? Seems like more of a downgrade for a upgrade module Grappling module should have a claw attachment on the grapple hook so it can pick up items as well as grab onto rocks

On a side note grapple arm should bind reel in / reel out to forward / back buttons kinda wonky as it is now

Comments

• TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    I love the Exosuit, and usually I'll Spiderman around the environment with dual Grappling Arms (so much fun!) :blush: But when I need to pick up items (especially in hazardous areas) or if I need to drill deposits (I go Grapple/Drill in that case), it's a tad annoying to have to switch out Grapple for basic Claw. If anything I wish we could switch out or disable/enable arms without having to exit the vehicle and access upgrades every time.

On a side note, I've noticed a minor issue cropping up lately. If you have a specialty arm on the left slot, and a basic arm on the right, when you approach an item the prompt says "Pick up X (Left Mouse Button)". But the pick-up option is bound to the right mouse button in that case! I know it's incredibly minor, but it bugs me every time as I keep the dominant action arm in the left slot (LMB) when I am salvaging for items (RMB). Could this be addressed sometime? :sweat_smile:
  • L4NDSL1DEL4NDSL1DE Planet 4546B Join Date: 2017-04-22 Member: 229850Members
    edited April 2017
    What about....externally holstered attachments? In this case the upper arm stays on the suit, only swapping the "forearm" if you will since the upper part of the model never changes. Say two of these can be stored on the back beneath the jump jets. But we have four special attachment possibilities, so what about two more being clamped partly into the "thighs" (maybe alongside the lower cockpit) of the Prawn? Say the Propulsion Arm closes it's fingers and the drill bit telescopes most of the way into the Drill Arm to keep things compact.

As for animation the back storage would feature the arms swiveling backwards until you can't see them with a sound of being locked by magnetic clamps. The now empty elbow comes back into position to load the thigh/cockpit holstered attachments which would come out, be pushed up into the elbow and locked. It should be visible, but not overly complex.

If you exit the suit, you can see the stored attachments and at a glance know what you have equipped. For safety's sake it shouldn't be possible to have no attachments, so it swaps the arms out automatically. Sure, it's a LOT more work than just having a grappling/claw combo but I think it would be an awesome way to implement attachment swapping while inside the Prawn. Have it carry and load the attachments itself.
  • mikeloevenmikeloeven Join Date: 2017-04-14 Member: 229623Members
    edited April 2017
    you could just give the suit 4 arm sockets that way not only can you upgrade the two claw arms but you can add two additional arms to the empty sockets. The suit is called a PRAWN and most crustaceans in that category prawns have multiple appendages.

Though i cannot see this happening without additional key-binds.
  • L4NDSL1DEL4NDSL1DE Planet 4546B Join Date: 2017-04-22 Member: 229850Members
    edited April 2017
    That would be pretty cool, the shoulders do seem wide enough for two more arms. Or something like Edge of Tomorrow with the arms coming over the top? Maybe there could be an Mk. IV Experimental suit to find in an upcoming area.

Your pinky is pretty much the only free finger if you still want to be able to move and jump at the same time, so I think Shift and Control would be the way to go for controlling the other two arms...pretty sure the Prawn doesn't Sprint anyway.
    edited April 2017
    Your issue with controls is actually just that an issue with the game's limited key binds. I actually have a pretty nice joystick i bought for Star Citizen and it has multiple analog thumbsticks on both the main stick and the throttle unit so yeah single finger is enough to actually control four arms but the game needs to have its input system seriously revamp to handle more complex control setups.
    I mean ffs people you can't even control the pitch of the cyclops enough to navigate caves without constantly hitting things
  • KostriktorKostriktor Switzerland Join Date: 2017-01-08 Member: 226342Members
    imo the whole prawn suite is in a pitty condition atm.
    moves clunky, has not enough power to walk upwards, the arms as module is a pain.
    needs heavy workon
    yeah I would like to see gimbals on the thrusters so you can direct the thrust for forward momentum instead of just jumping. Also the upgrade should improve thruster duration as well as just force. Perhaps an additional MKII and MKIII thruster upgrade for speed and duration as well
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    mikeloeven wrote: »
    yeah I would like to see gimbals on the thrusters so you can direct the thrust for forward momentum instead of just jumping. Also the upgrade should improve thruster duration as well as just force. Perhaps an additional MKII and MKIII thruster upgrade for speed and duration as well
    Directable thrust would be great. Maybe add an buoyancy upgrade to compensate the weight in addition to that? So that we don't sink to the bottom as long as it is active? Could be based on something like the Air bladder maybe.