Oxygen Pump Moduile for Seamoth

mikeloevenmikeloeven Join Date: 2017-04-14 Member: 229623Members
When installed in a upgrade slot this allows pipes to be attached to the seamoth allowing it to supply air when exploring large wrecks

Comments

• SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    I feel like this would get very buggy and very hard to code very quickly. Maybe you could hook up oxygen tubes to it or something, like ones that would just sort of follow you through the wreck and provide oxygen.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    @SnailsAttack +1 from me. Sounds mor useable then a fixed solution with pipes. Maybe a little bit like the Divereel just with a oxygen producing submarine as anchor point.
  • mikeloevenmikeloeven Join Date: 2017-04-14 Member: 229623Members
    The other alternative would be a deployable oxygen generator basically like the surface pump but neutrally buoyant. due to the increased power needed for extracting oxygen from sea water this would run on a power cell rather than a battery
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    You don't want to remove the risk when exploring wrecks, though..
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    For some of the larger wrecks, it's harder to explore and navigate them without running out of air. Sure, you can carry more O2 tanks, but this kills inventory space and lowers movement speed. And you can also build a series of pipes, but that takes more time to set up and kills inventory space, and then you have to dismantle everything afterwards. I'd rather see some method of extending O2 supply but with a heavy drawback.

I've always wanted to see some device or function that can be enabled to reduce O2 consumption. It can be like -1 loss/tic instead of the -3 loss/tic , but the trade-off is your food and water consumption is drastically increased. In order to keep it balanced, you can't eat or drink while under it's effect, and when cancelled you can't reactivate it until five minutes real-time has passed... Maybe it could tie into a Transfuser serum.

Another idea is an upgrade to the Rebreather via the Modification Station. The Rebreather of course makes it so yellow and red depth gauges force O2 consumption always runs like white depths (3 O2 every 3 seconds). Perhaps a Mk. II upgrade could turn it into 2 O2/3sec and even a Mk. III pushing it to 1 O2/3sec.

You may be asking "Why are you so fixated on surviving underwater? Isn't the risk of death part of the gameplay bruh?" Well TBPH it's such a pain to explore some wrecks or even caverns without needing extreme oxygen supplies. Extra O2 tanks are cumbersome to carry and Oxygen Pipes are so time-consuming to build/dismantle.
    The average person can hold their breath underwater for about two minutes unaided, and some can go up to four minutes in more select cases; yet we can only go up to 105 seconds on a single tank (and even then if it's enhanced). You could explain the short times as due to the game's shortened day/night cycle, but when the PDA says "30 seconds" and "10 seconds" that's in normal realtime, so that doesn't explain that issue. :(

Now the point of this comment is not to poke fun at "inaccuracies" or makes complaints - it's to embrace the wonder and allure of the game! Sometimes it's fun to turn on OXYGEN and INVISIBLE codes and just explore this amazing world! There are a lot of details we miss by zipping in and out of areas, and just admiring the sway of blood grass on the ocean floor or the ethereal glow of creepvines at night is just incredible. :love: Many times I wish we could be able to stay underwater for longer without needing special equipment, if nothing else so we can enjoy this wonderful world even more. :blush:
    There's other ways. Try exploring a wreck with a Seamoth parked outside, Ultra Glide fins, and two or three Lightweight tanks. If you like to poke around a bit, use extra capacity tanks instead. I think you'll find you have a lot less problems. Also, equipping a SeaGlide can help you burst across open areas, saving precious seconds (just I wouldn't use it in tight areas as it slows you down more than speeds you up because of the clutter all around).
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    It all comes down to the core "decisions" ethos. More inventory space at the expense of O2 capacity? Or more oxygen and less inventory? Sometimes the only solution to a puzzle is to use planning, not tools. :)
    It all comes down to the core "decisions" ethos. More inventory space at the expense of O2 capacity? Or more oxygen and less inventory? Sometimes the only solution to a puzzle is to use planning, not tools. :)

There's a tipping point where the extra O2 tanks slow you down, causing you to take so much more time that they aren't worth it. I think anything more than ~4 tanks total (one in the paperdoll slot and 3 in inventory) is a waste. Of course that can change with lightweight or extra capacity tanks, and player preference (if they like to mosey about taking everything in, they won't really be slowed down much, and would benefit from more tanks).
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    The average person can hold their breath underwater for about two minutes unaided, and some can go up to four minutes in more select cases; yet we can only go up to 105 seconds on a single tank (and even then if it's enhanced). You could explain the short times as due to the game's shortened day/night cycle, but when the PDA says "30 seconds" and "10 seconds" that's in normal realtime, so that doesn't explain that issue. :(
    I allow myself to ask you, have you ever tried to hold your breath for two minutes just sitting still and doing nothing? My bet would be that you can't do it unless you are trained in holding your breath. So the "average" person will not be able to hold their breath for two minutes. Maybe one minute...but that is in the end not the point I wanted to adress.

You named the reason in your post. It is the different pace of time in Subnautica. I don't know it's exact length but for an example let us say one second real time is one minute in Subnautica Time. So 105 real time seconds you get with 2 normal airtanks would be 105minutes of air. That again is not so unrealistic depending on the depth you dive in. Once we got the rebreather equipped we can easy judge our possible dive-time in seconds displayed in our O² hud no matter how deep we dive, thx to the "gameplay is more important than reality"-fact. The PDA says it in real time because it is way more comprehensible that way.

I think the Devs decided to limit our dive time to less then a minute at start and "only" a few minutes later in the game (depending on your tank count) to let O² still be a factor for survival. Sure a diving simulator would give you more real time underwater but such a simulator would factor so many things into its calculation aswell that it would only make fun for hardcore diving fans and not the usual gamer out there.

But you could just take many airtanks with you because most of the things you get out of wrecks are scans for blueprints or not? Sure you get 2 Titanium for each already scanned fragment but you don't really explore wrecks for Titanium now do you? So just for scanning you could almost fill up your whole inventory with airtanks which should give you plenty of time for each wreck out there.

If you dislike the dependence so much, you can start a creative game and just enjoy the world Subnautica offers. Or you can use the "Oxygen" cheat to get rid of the O² consumption. Maybe we will get a "custom game"-mode after release which will let us choose which factors we want to use and which not. Untill then you'll have to get along with the current system as it is I guess.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    There's a tipping point where the extra O2 tanks slow you down, causing you to take so much more time that they aren't worth it. I think anything more than ~4 tanks total (one in the paperdoll slot and 3 in inventory) is a waste. Of course that can change with lightweight or extra capacity tanks, and player preference (if they like to mosey about taking everything in, they won't really be slowed down much, and would benefit from more tanks).
    After taking a look at your charts about Speed/Swimmable Range/Air time I thought for Wrecks it would not matter so much. Because it is the time inside the wreck that is more important then your speed. If you would get too slow you could always save the space for a Seaglide instead of even more air tanks. That should help you get in and out fast enough AND give you alot of time inside the wreck itself to scan everything you want to scan and to find your way in and out.

And sorry for the double post...I simply did overlook your point with the "tipping point". :wink:

• TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited April 2017
    I allow myself to ask you, have you ever tried to hold your breath for two minutes just sitting still and doing nothing? My bet would be that you can't do it unless you are trained in holding your breath. So the "average" person will not be able to hold their breath for two minutes. Maybe one minute...but that is in the end not the point I wanted to adress.

I was hoping someone would bring up this point... :wink:
    Can practice improve your ability to hold your breath? Yes. Most untrained people can comfortably hold their breath for 30 seconds before gasping. That threshold has little to do with oxygen—your body has plenty of that in reserve. The more dangerous problem is the buildup of carbon dioxide, which acidifies the blood. (Source)

Could I point-blank, force myself to hold my breath longer than thirty seconds? I doubt I could be able to go beyond that. Without training for the exercise, more than 30 seconds is pushing it. (Point for TPG!) :) But is it conceivably possible?
    If you're asking how long someone can hold their breath if they are relaxed in a pool, I would say 2 minutes is a reasonable time. With some understanding of the physiology involved and practice, most people are probably physically capable of about double that... If you're asking how long could someone hold their breath if they are forced to because of an emergency situation then 30 seconds and even that might be generous. (Source)
    A lot of adults cannot hold their breath for more than 20 seconds; a good target is 60 seconds, and if you are in training, then aim for 120+ seconds for stamina. (Source)

So while the "average" of untrained everyday people is a mere 30 seconds, times of 2 minutes (or longer) is perfectly acceptable, as long as the person develops and maintains the ability to do so. (Point for TPG and Tark!) :smiley: Now, for the point of my request - asking if we could increase how long we stay underwater at the cost of increased health risk - is it reasonable?
    As ungainly as we humans may look in the water, evolution has gifted us with something called the Mammalian diving reflex. If you understand how it works and are able to stay calm in the water holding your breath for several minutes isn't that difficult if you're healthy. It is rather boring and can be very dangerous though.(Source)
    Interestingly when we are underwater our breath holding time gets longer - it is called the diving reflex - the record is over twenty minutes - don’t try it - too dangerous.(Source)

So, trained people can indeed stay underwater for several minutes at a time (or longer!) and it's perfectly reasonable to do so. However, it seems it comes at an increased risk, with potential health factors involved. Perhaps... a dramatic increase of Food/Water levels, or a slow tick of Health loss as a result? (Point for Tark!) :blush:
    You named the reason in your post. It is the different pace of time in Subnautica. I don't know it's exact length but for an example let us say one second real time is one minute in Subnautica Time. *snip* ...thx to the "gameplay is more important than reality"-fact. The PDA says it in real time because it is way more comprehensible that way.

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't play Subnautica as much if game-time were more like real-time... although taking five minutes to craft a Titanium Ingot would be an interesting twist! (I KID, I KID! I remember when the Experimental increased crafting time changes were first implemented, so many people got so angry...):bawling: But to be sure, the game time runs so fast; I wish they day/night cycle were longer, so that exploring during the day and having to scavenge for food/materials at night were more harrowing.
    If you dislike the dependence so much, you can start a creative game and just enjoy the world Subnautica offers. Or you can use the "Oxygen" cheat to get rid of the O² consumption. Maybe we will get a "custom game"-mode after release which will let us choose which factors we want to use and which not. Untill then you'll have to get along with the current system as it is I guess.

Thanks, but I dislike the Creative version of the world... to me there's no point in playing if there's no game survival or meters to be managed - just swimming around with nothing to do really. And I don't like using codes like OXYGEN, NODAMAGE, INVISIBLE while playing a Survival mode; it just defeats the purpose I think. :sweat_smile: And I've been lobbying for a 5th game mode "Custom" since I pretty much started playing! The ability to alter time passage, adjust survival meters, affect how much damage you take, even how much storage you can have or power you consume, would be such an interesting change! Adding to that, if they could add a "Challenge" mode, where you have to meet some goal in the world but with one or more dynamics changed, it would be fun (and a great way to add more Achievements!)

@ThePassionateGamer please don't take what I said as criticism, I enjoyed rebutting your points. Believe me, I did a lot of fact checking before I posted (but is it really factual if it comes from the internet, though?) :expressionless: I love this game as much as you and everyone else here, and I want to see it prosper to 1.0 and beyond! :blush:
    There's other ways. Try exploring a wreck with a Seamoth parked outside, Ultra Glide fins, and two or three Lightweight tanks. If you like to poke around a bit, use extra capacity tanks instead. I think you'll find you have a lot less problems. Also, equipping a SeaGlide can help you burst across open areas, saving precious seconds (just I wouldn't use it in tight areas as it slows you down more than speeds you up because of the clutter all around).

Yeah, I use the SeaGlide with Swim Charge Fins attached (infinite fast travel speed, yeah!) with just a High-Capacity O2 Tank installed, and it causes issues when exploring certain large wrecks (such as Deep Grand Reef #2 and the Floating Islands). I suppose I'll have to use more tanks when deep diving, but I just hate dealing with the reduced inventory space and movement speed. :confused: But! I'm always up to trying new things; this last update got me to use the SeaGlide again in months, as well as the Stasis Gun and Power Transfer modules for the first time ever. :smiley:
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    I allow myself to ask you, have you ever tried to hold your breath for two minutes just sitting still and doing nothing? My bet would be that you can't do it unless you are trained in holding your breath.

Eh...not trained so much as practiced. Personally, my own record is about 110 seconds. So tantalizingly close to two minutes, I know, but there are two things to consider - one of which is keeping me from trying to best that record.

1. That's inert testing. As in only the exertion necessary to hold yourself under the surface. The lowest possible oxygen consumption, coupled with a very, very relaxed state of mind (no, not a trance, just focused). The more you exert, the faster you burn that oxygen. And yes, the more practice you get, the better you get. Pearl divers can actively freedive for several minutes, but they have lungs like a frickin' Clydesdale just from sheer repetition.

2. When you're doing a hold test, you usually game the test by hyperventilating. Contrary to popular belief, hyperventilation doesn't superload your blood with oxygen as much as it strips out as much CO2 as possible. This extends your submergence time, but it opens the door for death. I'm not kidding. Blood CO2 concentration is what cues your nervous system that you're running out of air and need to breathe, not the O2 level. When you artificially drop the CO2 concentration, that warning system is essentially broken. As a result, you can and will run out of O2 before you feel the need to surface and breathe, so if you're not alert for the symptoms of hypoxia, you can actually drown without realizing you're running out of air. It's called hypoxic blackout, but also goes by the names freediving blackout or the generally-obsolete shallow-water blackout. The net result is the same: you pass out because your brain runs short on usable O2. If that happens on land, you pass out and wake up again after your blood gas balance goes back to normal. But underwater, you pass out and automatically take a good lungful of water. But your brain doesn't have enough oxygen to "wake up" and realize you're drowning...so you take another lungful. And unless someone hauls you out and drains your lungs...you die.

I kid you not: you mess around with that sort of test and don't know what you're doing, you can kill yourself very, very easily. Don't bloody do it. The bragging rights aren't worth it.

Now, since I really don't feel like fighting with the forums' er...interesting quote system, I'm just going to call out two points from @Tarkannen's very well-written post. :)

The Mammalian Diving Reflex
    Isn't going to help in this situation. The Diving Reflex (its contemporary name, since it's not limited to mammals) really only helps in an emergency. Basically, what happens is your body reroutes oxygenated blood to the heart and brain to stave off death for as long as possible. A diver, who has to swim and maneuver, is basically manually overriding the reflex, and thus gains little benefit from it.

Brian Palmer
    Really, really needs to go back to biology class. ;) Humans don't have a huge oxygen reserve; we just use the stuff too quickly. Without training or prep, the average, fit adult can probably hold breath for 30 seconds without undue stress. But you're going to feel it. It's not going to be comfortable, and everything in your skull is going to be screaming "Breathe, dummy!" regardless of the situation. And, if you're on alert, even 30 seconds is going to be tough; with adrenaline boosting your metabolism, you're going to be burning through O2 like crazy. Yes, CO2 saturation is your enemy, no doubt about it, but the degree of blood acidification (properly called acidosis) and its attendant issues is insignificant next to hypoxia - low oxygen - and its effects on your brain and heart. In short, CO2 poisoning isn't going to be the cause listed on the death certificate; it's going to be oxygen deprivation of some sort (drowning, etc).
  • mikeloevenmikeloeven Join Date: 2017-04-14 Member: 229623Members
    edited April 2017
    You don't want to remove the risk when exploring wrecks, though..

Honestly as i pointed out before the major problem with this game is rate of oxygen consumption even with the re-breathers (which would actually extend your dive time by hours not seconds.) which in my opinion is detrimental to a game primarily about exploration.

The optimal solution would be replacing pipes with long air hoses that connect directly to your tanks and unwind as you explore. believe it or not while the days of huge brass helmets and hand pumps are gone modern divers still use hoses in some situations
    edited April 2017
    mikeloeven wrote: »
    The optimal solution would be replacing pipes with long air hoses that connect directly to your tanks and unwind as you explore. believe it or not while the days of huge brass helmets and hand pumps are gone modern divers still use hoses in some situations

Very true. In fact, the art used for our Rebreather in Subnautica is a Kirby-Morgan dive helmet (looks like a SuperLite 27), and most of those are surface-supplied. But you wouldn't want to feed that line from a little bitty submersible like a Seamoth; you'd deplete its bottled gas reserves in no time flat. (Surface-supplied diving isn't exactly gas-efficient.)