New Cyclops

Comments

• DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited April 2017
    You missed my point, as far as the Dev's are concerned, the camera is your periscope.

There's nothing currently in the game that necessitates the Cyclops having anything more than the camera at the top of the coning tower for seeing above the surface.
    B)
  • unknown_aqua_knight3unknown_aqua_knight3 mi,us Join Date: 2017-03-10 Member: 228815Members
    There should at least be a propulsion/ stun gun things you can add just like how you add arms on the P.R.A.W.N suit and you can use the with the cameras so you can defend you cyclops from fauna
  • Canek2317dCanek2317d Russia Join Date: 2016-06-17 Member: 218696Members
    edited April 2017
    Have you ever think that all diesel submarines always surfaced to pile up the batteries from the sun?
    АНГЛИЙСКИЙ
    All diesel submarines have always surfaced on the surface to recharge the batteries from the sun. Yes that's too much, but why not .. Can developers in general beg for a new submarine, a more ambitious or a belt dron for the Authors ... Something that has not been updated Aurora for a long time. Neither team cutting nor a large screen whether the bodice or anything ....
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    I don't think Alistair MacLean, author of Ice Station Zebra was a submariner (served in the RN on surface vessels 1941-1946), so I'd say it's just his idea. I'd heard about the German WW2 sub diving without stopping its diesel engines. In ISZ, the American submarine was damaged by sabotage and under the ice and not really worried about being detected so much as surviving. It couldn't surface without repairs that were being hampered by the smoke. It's a bit of a stretch, as it requires the exhaust to be of sufficient pressure to force its way out. It also requires a fine hand at switching off. :)
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Canek2317d wrote: »
    Have you ever think that all diesel submarines always surfaced to pile up the batteries from the sun?

No, I never thought that, because they never DID that.

They surfaced, and ran the diesel to recharge the batteries. That time period never saw solar panels. The diesel also ran the engines while it recharge the batteries. Batteries were used for sub-surface running when the sub wanted to kill people, while not being seen from surface ships that could splatter it.

Shee, play a sub simulator game. :p
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    You missed my point, as far as the Dev's are concerned, the camera is your periscope.

There's nothing currently in the game that necessitates the Cyclops having anything more than the camera at the top of the coning tower for seeing above the surface.
    B)

Yes, you are right. I read what you said, and somehow missed the "camera". My bad.

Also, from the links I posted before, the Cyclops cameras would be related more to the photonic masts than to periscopes because:

-P.M. doesn't retract to the hull, as a periscope does. Thus, the cameras would be more like then than to a periscope.

-Or it could be the cameras belongs to an entire different category of naval equipment, which may exist nowadays, but both you and me doesn't have the name of the category.
    edited April 2017
    Standard set of submarines: fire extinguishing system, seawater desalter, solar battery charger, air purifier, emergency surface ascent system, life-saving capsule..
    EvilSmoo wrote: »

They surfaced, and ran the diesel to recharge the batteries. That time period never saw solar panels. The diesel also ran the engines while it recharge the batteries. Batteries were used for sub-surface running when the sub wanted to kill people, while not being seen from surface ships that could splatter it.

Google translator of course a lot can miss, but I'm talking about this .. On charging the surface of the battery from the sun batteries
    Why do we take away health when there is a lot of smoke ?! We also have cylinders with compressed air
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members

Google translator of course a lot can miss, but I'm talking about this .. On charging the surface of the battery from the sun batteries

There weren't solar chargers back then. Batteries charge via running the engine, probably similar to how the batteries in the car charge, since they ran the engine on the surface the batteries charge. The sun wasn't really involved in charging them.
    Why do we take away health when there is a lot of smoke ?! We also have cylinders with compressed air

I'd wager that you're choking on the smoke. Not good for your lungs and all that.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    play a sub simulator game.

You speak as if you have experience, can you recommend some good ones?

Try switching this article to your native language: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine
  • CryselleCryselle Canada Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226011Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    I'd wager that you're choking on the smoke. Not good for your lungs and all that.

Except... you're wearing a scuba set with an air tank. I could see that, in heavy smoke, it would deplete your 02 meter, but I can't imagine why I'd be breathing the smoke when I'm wearing another option anyhow.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    My only concerns are that the max travel speed is the same as before; couldn't we get an overdrive system to double the speed in exchange for higher risk of structural damage and fires?
    Max travel speed is faster in the new Cyclops then the old one. There are now 3 speeds - Flank, regular, and slow. Flank is faster and regular is the same speed as the old Cyclops.
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    I like the damage/repair aspect but I don't want to babysit the Cyclops every 5 minutes (as seen in a recent video by IGP someone posted here).
    There have been many many changes since that IGP video.

-Cyclops health increased
    -Reduced health percentage at which fires can start, meaning more damage needs to occur before fires start.
    -Reduced the probability of fires starting
    -Fixing bugs, which were probably a factor in that video. For example, the brine in Lost River is currently damaging the Sub, which it shouldn't be, and it damages it based on a very large bounding box, which means the sub doesn't even need to be touching the brine to take damage. So, that was probably leading to more frequent damage and fires in the IGP vid.

Anyway, I strongly encourage people to reserve judgement until they have played with the new Cyclops for themselves, rather then basing opinions on an outdated youtuber video.

Will be there a "Ramming Speed"?

There should be.
    edited April 2017
    tluv4irbpw5u.jpg
    There is not enough deck for access to the luggage compartment of the moth and for its belt. Why waste an extra slot of improvements. It's better to put a console there, with which you can control the process of charging the moth, place a holographic projector there, which will display the relief as in the scanning room, cool. BUT a little increase the size of the boat. .. The example of this photo is the same only in the submarine .. To be able to inspect it and the like. Downstairs in the passage to make a ladder, where there is a compartment for transport ..scj8w46t6415.png
    Cryselle wrote: »

Except... you're wearing a scuba set with an air tank. I could see that, in heavy smoke, it would deplete your 02 meter, but I can't imagine why I'd be breathing the smoke when I'm wearing another option anyhow.

hmm... now that you mention it I'm not really sure. Heat maybe?
    You don't think that the Cyclops too small submarine? For descriptive reasons here boat 172 meters length and 12 floors height. With a special anti-sonar covering. The leviathan would begin to attack such boat, I think no. Give by means of the docking mine of a Cyclops we will add a feature to do additional compartments in the boat of no more than one or two... It will be or a projector as in the room of scanning or system of water purification + a cabin as a separate compartment.d39mch0bij7s.jpg
    fa379hwr285z.jpg
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    You don't think that the Cyclops too small submarine? For descriptive reasons here boat 172 meters length and 12 floors height. With a special anti-sonar covering. The leviathan would begin to attack such boat, I think no. Give by means of the docking mine of a Cyclops we will add a feature to do additional compartments in the boat of no more than one or two... It will be or a projector as in the room of scanning or system of water purification + a cabin as a separate compartment.d39mch0bij7s.jpg
    fa379hwr285z.jpg

Remember the cyclops is not a battleship or nuclear submarine
    Keep in mind that the Cyclops is meant to have a crew of 3. A typhoon class sub (possibly pictured above? Correct me if I have the wrong class) has a crew of 170. The Cyclops is about the same length as a Reaper so its fair game to be attacked I think. Things like bonesharks though? No way.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    Keep in mind that the Cyclops is meant to have a crew of 3. A typhoon class sub (possibly pictured above? Correct me if I have the wrong class) has a crew of 170. The Cyclops is about the same length as a Reaper so its fair game to be attacked I think. Things like bonesharks though? No way.

The reaper is also 55 meters long so the cyclops is no baby toy
    ShuttleBug wrote: »

Of course not, but its large enough that a reaper is likely to take your presence as a threat or competitor for resources since it likely won't understand the cyclops is an object and not a creature if you're moving. But its not so large that the reaper would likely consider it a predator.
  • unknown_aqua_knight3unknown_aqua_knight3 mi,us Join Date: 2017-03-10 Member: 228815Members
    edited April 2017
    In the cyclops if you surface water and look at the front the waves are bigger or it like you're srunken and when your at the surface of the water with your cyclops and you look at it from the out side it looks like this
    47jwh7vs6qmy.jpeg
  • s1nt4x3rr0rs1nt4x3rr0r Join Date: 2017-04-17 Member: 229683Members
    edited April 2017
    Finally made an account just to voice this concern. I adore the changes made to the cyclops. The new displays, possibility of damage, and having an active part in damage control are all things am I'm ecstatic for. Others have already mentioned durability related concerns i agree with, but for me the biggest most glaring thing is that creatures in a whole different weight class attack my sub. Things no bigger than dolphins attacking a 55M loud metal behemoth makes no sense to me, and the mechanical sound alone would likely drive smaller creatures away (we dont see smaller creatures attacking reapers). Leviathan class creatures however, being of a similar weight class, could viably attack it to defend their respective territories. I do think that anything with explosive based attacks could cause considerable damage to the hull however; a couple stealthily placed crash plants could effectively depth charge the sub. I don't think it makes much sense to have players facing considerable (or rather, possibly expensive) threats in biomes they have already "conquered". At least not avoidable ones. Thoughts?
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    Finally made an account just to voice this concern. I adore the changes made to the cyclops. The new displays, possibility of damage, and having an active part in damage control are all things am I'm ecstatic for. Others have already mentioned durability related concerns i agree with, but for me the biggest most glaring thing is that creatures in a whole different weight class attack my sub. Things no bigger than dolphins attacking a 55M loud metal behemoth makes no sense to me, and the mechanical sound alone would likely drive smaller creatures away (we dont see smaller creatures attacking reapers). Leviathan class creatures however, being of a similar weight class, could viably attack it to defend their respective territories. I do think that anything with explosive based attacks could cause considerable damage to the hull however; a couple stealthily placed crash plants could effectively depth charge the sub. I don't think it makes much sense to have players facing considerable (or rather, possibly expensive) threats in biomes they have already "conquered". At least not avoidable ones. Thoughts?

Exactly! The much bigger creatures should do damage, I don't see how a boneshark could do anything, really besides smash it's face. We can go to 1500 meters, but something the size of a boneshark can heavily damage our sub and create fires? Everything else you said makes perfect sense. Also when creatures attack you and chase you, they should chase you until you are probably a little ways out of that biome, not forever and ever.
    edited April 2017
    This is how I felt the first time you guys added cyclops health

But thanks for balanceing it. Now I can move without having to fix it every minute
    ShuttleBug wrote: »

Well, yes, and this, too, I'm for making Cyclops a little more for a couple of compartments. And why is there no scanner as in the scanning room?! On the boat it would be very useful ...
    Does anyone think of new rooms in Aurora do ?! I think they are needed!
  • Aviator1945Aviator1945 Appleton, WI Join Date: 2017-01-02 Member: 225904Members
    I use that tower camera as a periscope. That's all i need in my tower. In case of fire and smoke... Oberfläche das Boot! In a cave you better get those sprinkler systems on. I like this new cyclops, another thing to manage and an extra challenge. But that's just me.
    edited April 2017
    @Squeal_Like_A_Pig -- just wondering, but why is the upgrade fabricator on the other side of the engine from the upgrade console where the upgrades will be placed upon fabrication? I'd think it would be better placed on the same side to avoid confusion.

EDIT: to add, are there plans to add the Cyclops Power Efficiency Module to the list of upgrades that can be fabricated?