The game crash randomly

SPASMadnessSPASMadness Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156958Members
Whenever I play, the game end up crashing randomly, sometimes after a few map played, sometimes after 10 minutes. Most of the time after 20-30 minutes. I have no idea why.
To be honest the game has never run perfectly on my computer, it's rather old and I've often had FPS drop but I could still play. I came back to the game two weeks ago after a few month without playing so I don't know after which patch this started.

There's no message when the game crash, it just close the whole game (it does not send me back to the menu) saying "NS2 has stopped working" and I have to use ctrl+alt+suppr to end up the game not responding. You can find the result of the TechSupport.exe linked to this post if that can help.

Thank you.

Comments

• antouantou France Join Date: 2016-07-24 Member: 220615Members
    Hello,

Random crashes started happening with the last update (https://unknownworlds.com/ns2/update-314-now-live-steam/), I don't think everyone is impacted but you're definitely not the only one. I'm sure the devs are working on a fix, meanwhile you did the right thing by uploading your tech support file here :)
  • NovoReiNovoRei US Join Date: 2014-11-18 Member: 199718Members
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    Also had a crash this week, while playing.. and this is curious for me since my game never crashed till now.. (except when starting the game sometimes, but that never bothered me ssince it would run fine after the second try) ...

while scrimming/ gathering I noticed a vast increase of crashes since it happens sometimes almost every round that we had to pause least once per round ...

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    To everybody posting about having crashed, please please please run TechSupport.exe right after the crash, and get us this info. It's very very difficult to figure out the cause or causes if we don't even know if the crashes are related, for starters.
  • SPASMadnessSPASMadness Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156958Members
    The game crashed again less than 5 minutes after I joined a server, I ran this TechSupport right after the crash
  • ekrizonekrizon Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170924Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Lately I have been crashing once or twice a day, probably started 3 to 5 weeks ago. Long time player and have never had any issues with crashing before this. Attached techsupport.zip.

Also tried x64 bit client, same issue occurs.

• jrgnjrgn Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58289Members
    same here, mostly as comm
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Yesterday I've seen three com crashes, two marine and one alien (8bit #1). It never happened to me though...
  • Legend_BossLegend_Boss UK Join Date: 2014-02-27 Member: 194394Members
    I find generally its alien comm that crashes.

I've been recommended to include "-fulldmp" as part of the start up properties found when right click ns2 file through steam.

When you crash, this creates a copy of the RAM at the time. I think this is meant to be more helpful in attempting to identifying the problem than the tech support but I am not completly certain or response to my query about this.

The alien comm crash was quite frequent last year, then it stopped or didn't happen as frequently but at some time within the last few builds the problem has returned with a vengeance.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    2 times I crashed this week as fade...
    faulty modul: MSVCR120.dll, Version: 12.0.21005.1
    exceptioncode: 0x40000015
    Fehleroffset: 0x000a7676
  • ekrizonekrizon Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170924Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Might be jinxing myself here however updated to the new Windows 10 creator build and latest nvidia drivers and have not crashed since... YMMV
  • necroanonymnecroanonym Join Date: 2017-05-12 Member: 230455Members
    edited May 2017
    Same as op, happen after ~30 min everytimes
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8zzb7t6972zt0ai/tech_support.zip?dl=0
    can't attach the file for some reason
    ekrizon wrote: »
    Might be jinxing myself here however updated to the new Windows 10 creator build and latest nvidia drivers and have not crashed since... YMMV

nevermind... still happening. Is there any update on this??
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Hi, we are still investigating these crashes. A few potential fixes will be shipped with build 315 which we hope to release at the end of this week.
    From Discord:
    BeigeAlert - Today at 4:09 AM
    Welp... unfortunately the next build has hit some snags. It will not be releasing tomorrow. Will probably be at least a week or two before 315 goes live. :frowning:

(that's 4am in France so approximately 10pm in the US)
  • CelticSonCelticSon Join Date: 2004-09-26 Member: 31933Members
    same issues, it mostly happens as gorge while trying to place a web.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2017
    CelticSon wrote: »
    same issues, it mostly happens as gorge while trying to place a web.

Thanks for yor tech_support.zip .

Did you already try to see if the crash still occurs after switching back to Direct3D 9 in the Graphics options? To test if creating a web causes the crash just create a local server via the server browser.
  • NovoReiNovoRei US Join Date: 2014-11-18 Member: 199718Members
    Keeps crashing in b315.
    edited June 2017
    There is another memory management related crash issue we are still investigating into right now. If you want to help us please follow the steps below:
    1. Right click at Natural Selection 2 in your steam library and select Properties. Then click at Set Launch Options and enter
      -fulldmp

That option will force Natural Selection 2 to create a full memory dump which allows us to extract all parameters that may trigger the crash.
    2. Now the next time Natural Selection 2 crashes please wait about 5 minutes before you kill it. Afterwards enter %appdata% into your windows search bar and open the Natural Selection 2 folder. Inside you should find a lastcrash.dmp file.
    3. Please zip that dmp file and upload it to some cloud drive (gcloud, onedrive, dropbox etc.) and send us the link for further analysis via private message in the forum, discord or email.
  • NotPaLaGiNotPaLaGi Join Date: 2014-05-29 Member: 196291Members
    edited June 2017
    For anyone still having crashing problems since b314, I randomly ran the "Verify Integrity of Game Files" through Steam and it ended up reacquiring 6 files for me (usually it's only 2, replacing my custom crosshairs.dds and crosshairs-hit.dds). Since then, I haven't had any crashes.

Definitely a bit surprising, but for what it's worth, that was the fix for me.

EDIT: NEVERMIND, CRASHED AGAIN. PLEASE REVERT TO B313. The humor of Ironhorse getting "promoted" to QA guy for b314 (when the crashes started) is not lost on me.
    I've got a daily crash now in the first half hour of playing. Games later on, on pub or comp didn't result in any crashes.. I can try to get a techfile
    edited June 2017
    Please make sure to send us your crash dumps. At the moment we are aware of the issue but are unable to reproduce it (so far no dev or play tester has experienced the issue) and hence we lack details about it which we need to fix it.
  • SnowsharkSnowshark Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194866Members
    Something I noticed is I would consistently crash if I tried to view the tech tree immediately after dying, I don't have a tech support file though, I'm sorry if this isn't useful.
    edited June 2017
    Snowshark wrote: »
    Something I noticed is I would consistently crash if I tried to view the tech tree immediately after dying, I don't have a tech support file though, I'm sorry if this isn't useful.

Same for me with the scoreboard. I get killed, open the scoreboard, and crash. Always the same !

Here's a tech support file from such a crash a few seconds ago

edit: I just crashed a second time, during pregrame. never had that one before !
    Okay thanks for sending us all the crash reports. We have so far isolated two main crash reasons. One has to do with multi threaded physics and the other with DX11 and certain graphic cards.

So in case you experience random crashes you should be able to avoid those in 90% of all cases by switching to DX9 in your graphics options and disabling Multi-threaded physics in the general options. We will try to resolve the issues in one of the upcoming patches so you can use those features again.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Okay thanks for sending us all the crash reports. We have so far isolated two main crash reasons. One has to do with multi threaded physics and the other with DX11 and certain graphic cards.

So in case you experience random crashes you should be able to avoid those in 90% of all cases by switching to DX9 in your graphics options and disabling Multi-threaded physics in the general options. We will try to resolve the issues in one of the upcoming patches so you can use those features again.

Brilliant, thank you, was experiencing same crashes myself but others beat me to it.
  • RumanoxRumanox Argentina Join Date: 2017-06-22 Member: 231271Members
    edited June 2017
    I am still having random crashes. Am i in that unlucky 10% left?
  • NotPaLaGiNotPaLaGi Join Date: 2014-05-29 Member: 196291Members
    Rumanox wrote: »

You are not alone :( I did that auto-submit thing yesterday after a crash. Hopefully it helps.
    edited June 2017

I'm sorry but you will have to upgrade your Windows to the 64 bit version to continue to play Natural Selection 2.

I know this sucks but memory management has always been a very difficult topic for NS2 and at this point the game needs up to 3GB memory which is the very edge of what a process is allowed to allocate under a 32 bit OS. In your case the OS only provides 2814MB RAM for programs as the rest of the 4 GB memory windows 32-bit can allocate is used by the kernel and some drivers. So NS2 is literally crashing because it runs out of memory.

Some more details about the differences of running a 32 bit or 64 bit OS (Windows) can be found at https://www.howtogeek.com/56701/htg-explains-whats-the-difference-between-32-bit-and-64-bit-windows-7/

Knowing your hardware specs i can only highly recommend to upgrade.
    NotPaLaGi wrote: »

You are not alone :( I did that auto-submit thing yesterday after a crash. Hopefully it helps.

Keep sending those. We are digging throw them daily and are working on solutions for every kind of crash we can trace down.

Edit: For internal references NotPaLaGi last crash id is 368
    Edit2: @NotPaLaGi Please make sure you have physicsMultithreading disabled. Your crash looks very much like the one related to that and your config file has physicsMultithreading set to true.
  • RumanoxRumanox Argentina Join Date: 2017-06-22 Member: 231271Members
    Alright, i was already planning to upgrade anytime soon.
    ironically, back when i had windows XP the game run just fine, and i had the same processor.