Beginner Questions

Virtuix_Virtuix_ Small Blue Green Planet 3rd from the Sun Join Date: 2017-03-26 Member: 229210Members
Hi,
I just finished downloading Subnautica on Oculus Home earlier today, and I was playing for a bit and sort of struggling. I'd like to know how long it usually takes you to "get into the swing of things", so you can start properly exploring and discovering. Do you have any tips on how to get to that point faster? I've also been experiencing frequent lag spikes and even a crash 5 minutes in. I am aware the game is still early access, but is it my system (I have a AMD FX-6350 and a GTX 1060 3GB)? Or is it an issue which the devs are working on? Any tips, tricks, or answers to my questions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited March 2017
    I can't help you on the technical bits, but to get started:
    1. Prioritize a scanner, fins, an airtank (you could consider two, depending if you favor swim speed or air supply), and a knife.
    2. Go after a repair tool to fix the lifepod (two spots!) and the habitat builder to get yourself a simple base. You want that base because currently floating lockers are bugged and will delete items. Furniture lockers are safe.
    3. Find yourself the means to build a vehicle (and a radiation suit) and start exploring. If you've done the above, things should start happening that give you clues where to go (just don't rush LP#4). All in all, lets say, 30-60 minutes to set things up?
    4. Titanium, quartz, and silver (sandstone) are the materials you want to be on the lookout for so as to have some when you need it.
  • MrRoarkeMrRoarke Join Date: 2016-05-16 Member: 216830Members
    Realize that encumbrance hinders your swim speed. As DrownedOut alluded to, more tanks slows you down. So does having anything in your hands while you swim. Keep tools put up unless you need them.

If you haven't read everything in your PDA, do it. Look over the starting blueprints you have, too. There's a reason you start with them.

Develop a system for finding your way around. You can even break out paper and pencil to make a map. Unless you want to use the debug screen to watch your coordinates, you can substitute measuring swim time for distance. Go out in straight lines from your lifepod to certain distances and note what you see. You can also swim a circle or grid pattern to find stuff. Before you can build a compass, it is usual to use the Aurora as a landmark for travel (e.g. towards it, away from it, parallel to it, towards it's bow or stern, etc.). Getting to know your local neighborhood is just like finding your way around in any new place: time lends familiarity.

Finally, remember this: it is designed to be slow going at first. The developers have arranged it so you really feel the struggle to survive early on. Relax, take in the scenery. Oh, yeah: look in and under things.

Enjoy!

J
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Scan, scan, scan. The scanner is your key to progressing in the game in every sense of the word. It's how you gain the ability to craft anything worth having (including vehicles), and it'll tell you everything you need to know about the game world - at least enough for the early part while you're still finding your way.

Except for a few cases which almost don't matter, you're not a fighter and can't kill anything trying to kill you. (Yes, little pests like biters and tiger plants can be killed, but the real predators in the water - stalkers, sandsharks, and all points north - can't be killed without cheating, and you'll die trying.) When in doubt, flee and return after the fish has left.

Stay away from the Aurora at the start of the game, but make yourself a radiation suit. You'll end up going there, but not until...well, let's just say "something happens." Trust me: you'll know it when you see it.

Nothing is trash in the beginning. While you'll undoubtedly think "Man, I have tons of this stuff" - whatever the stuff in question may be - by mid-game, that supply is going to dwindle. Don't squander uselessly; spend resources with a goal in mind.

You don't need to range far or deep until you become more familiar and comfortable with your surroundings.

Think ahead. Rash decisions and acting without caution are great ways to end up dead.

If it looks dangerous, it is.

Eat. Drink. Carry supplies to do both at all times. (In other words, keep a bit of prepared food and purified water in your inventory. Low food/water really sneaks up on you.)

As for the lag spikes...yep, we all see them. (Well, most of us.) It's expected to be cleared up during optimization, but it's by and large a known issue. If you encounter major slowdowns or crashes, though, report 'em - unreported bugs frequently become unfixed bugs!

And don't hesitate to ask questions! We're a sometimes odd bunch on the forum, but don't be afraid to ask when you're stuck. :)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    To add to the above: cured food doesn't rot (it's preserved with salt). Disinfected water (common coral sample + salt = bleach, which chlorinates the water enough to make it safe to drink) has more water than filtered water.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Most important tip of all: If you ever receive a message about something blowing up and telling you to get at least 1,000 meters away or you will die... You are already far enough away. You don't need to swim 1,000 meters away form the Life Pod. :)
  • DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    Scan everything, it's almost always useful.

2 Oxygen tanks should be good for general exploration.

And the deeper and darker it is, the more you'll want to explore it. Be brave! (But be wary.)
    edited March 2017
    Most important advice I think I ever saw was that you can have more air tanks than just the one in the "paperdoll" to the right. If you wanted, you could load up your inventory with ONLY air tanks and have a massive amount of air. That's definitely overkill. But carrying two more in your inventory besides the one on the "paperdoll" is definitely a nice amount of air.

The second most important advice: Build lots and lots of Beacons. Unless you have an insane sense of direction and a photographic memory, eventually you will come upon some great resources you don't have inventory space to gather right then. Beacons are awesome tools for finding your way back to that location later on. It is probably a good idea to always carry at least a couple of beacons so you can "save your place" and come back later if you want.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited March 2017
    Most Important...

Take Your Time...,

Enjoy all the Incredible Views in the assorted Biomes.

And as said above... scan, Scan, SCAN... everything you can.

B)

And remember that the more messages you actually read from the Communication Device, the farther along you get in the storyline.

So, if you want to make the game last longer without getting killed by the Carar Disease, don't touch the Terminal in the Gun Emplacement on the Mountain Island when prompted to do so.
    (at least until you WANT to finish the story)

It advances the storyline and forces you to go to another place in the ocean to be cured.

B)
  • honzikcahonzikca Tábor Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219795Members
    edited March 2017
    That's weird,I have almost exact build as you do but haven't experienced any major problems with the game whatsoever.Those were just gpu and cpu,what about the other sys. specs?
    honzikca wrote: »
    That's weird,I have almost exact build as you do but haven't experienced any major problems with the game whatsoever.Those were just gpu and cpu,what about the other sys. specs?

Isn't that AMD CPU a lower end CPU with similar performance to an I3. Is an I3 just a bit under-powered for a 3D game?
  • Virtuix_Virtuix_ Small Blue Green Planet 3rd from the Sun Join Date: 2017-03-26 Member: 229210Members
    garath wrote: »
    honzikca wrote: »

Isn't that AMD CPU a lower end CPU with similar performance to an I3. Is an I3 just a bit under-powered for a 3D game?

For usage with the Oculus Rift, yes it is...I bought the PC off Amazon as it was listed as "VR-Ready", however it was only later that I discovered how outdated the processor was. I have been contemplating whether to update it or not, but I am very inexperienced with computers, and don't really want to go poking around in there chasing the CPU at the risk of breaking my computer.

Thank you all for your really good advise and suggestions! I do have one other question - how often does Subnautica auto save, or does it only save when you quit? I have experienced two crashes so far 10 minutes in, and have found both my save files to be deleted.
    Plenty of good videos on YouTube explaining how to swap a CPU, and you can ask for help in a bunch of places, here's two to start you off: /r/helpmebuildapc (actually building it right then and need help), /r/buildapc (for help selecting the correct components before you roll your sleeves up).
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Plenty of good videos on YouTube explaining how to swap a CPU, and you can ask for help in a bunch of places, here's two to start you off: /r/helpmebuildapc (actually building it right then and need help), /r/buildapc (for help selecting the correct components before you roll your sleeves up).

No. No. and No. Please don't just go watch YouTube videos on how to replace a CPU and then try it yourself. Without following the correct ESD (Electro Static Discharge precautions), you could easily short out one or more components on your computer and go from a working but slower computer to no computer at all. In addition, it is important to note that not all CPU's can fit in all motherboards. So, you would need to know which CPU's can even serve as replacements, etc, etc. At a previous job, we routinely built computers and did all manner of piece by piece upgrades. But it has been several years. The last time I tried to build my own computer, I failed to follow ESD precautions and shorted out $400 worth of components. Hopefully, you are much smarter and patient and careful than me. But please learn from my mistakes and do not just think you can remove a CPU and replace it with another faster one as easy as you could perform a simple auto repair like changing the headlight bulbs. Given a choice between replacing a CPU in a computer and just buying a new computer, I would almost always recommend buying a new computer and selling the old one.
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    I am certainly no expert and I've managed to change out three CPU's in my various computers through the years without any problems. (among other parts)

Just remember to ground yourself by touching the metal frame of the computer you are working on before touching any of the components inside.
    Or you can touch any fairly large piece of metal nearby. (a metal table leg, a metal doorknob, etc...)

It's any static electricity buildup in your body that you need to get rid of.

Also, make sure you've unplugged your computer before working on it.

B)

This. Any decent YouTube video will show you how to do this.
    edited April 2017
    Latest beginner tip: Go into your 'Ping Monitor' and change the color of your Lifepod to another color besides the default blue. Then, when the game spawns in a duplicate LIfepod 5, you will easily be able to tell the difference between the original and the clone.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited April 2017
    On the main theme of the thread: @Virtuix_
    Autosaving is currently in the works, so make sure you manually save fairly frequently. (You don't have to go bananas, but do so regularly.) Make sure you save after doing something particularly 1. complicated, 2. brave, or 3. so insanely stupid it should've killed you but didn't. ;)

On the subtheme:
    You know, I worked in electronics fabrication for a couple years building various control boards and processor backplanes and I gotta say...we never killed one from ESD. Frankly, you need to pop something very sensitive for it to be a serious issue. I wouldn't recommend shuffle-shocking your processor, but electronics are a hell of a lot hardier than people give them credit for being. Take water, for instance. So long as the device doesn't have an active power supply, electronics can go swimming without ill effect - you just have to get them completely dried out before reconnecting power. (Fun fact: most boards actually start their lives in what looks like a big industrial cafeteria tray washer. Soap and everything. Toss 'em onto racks, run 'em through the washer, dry 'em, test 'em, pack 'em.)
    That said, when it comes to something as simple and basic as ESD preventative measures, just do it. A shock might not KO your gear, but why take the chance when it's so easy to ground yourself?
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    edited April 2017
    Electronics are funny things. I've heard stories of people washing computers with no ill effects. (don't try at home)

Starter advice: make sure to explore different areas, including caves and wrecks. You may sometimes encounter danger, but the starter areas just need a medkit. Don't forget to watch your air as you dive.
    narfblat wrote: »
    Electronics are funny things. I've heard stories of people washing computers with no ill effects. (don't try at home)

Speaking of washing computers... have you seen the over-clockers who fill their case with mineral oil?

Almost a Subnautica-worthy computer build...

• JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Most modern computer components have board or chip-level electrostatic discharge protection. Most components you will be safe using other hand on ground to equalize levels. To be sure, use a wrist strap clamped to ground. Just be very careful changing your processor. You want to extra careful on socket insertion to make sure it's home before pushing the clamp lever. Then be careful putting on the conductive paste and the heatsink.

For Subnautica, for shallow diving you also want to make an Air Bladder. Preinflate it before you dive, then unequip it. That way when you equip, it's already inflated. It's a rapid and certain way to get back to the surface before oxygen runs out.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members

Speaking of washing computers... have you seen the over-clockers who fill their case with mineral oil?

Might be possible to do it in water provided the computer parts are sprayed with a superhydrophobic coating. Apparently distilled water is still somewhat conductive to make it useless, but pure water should be non-conductive to run their computer in until the pure water gets contaminated with enough ions to make it conductive.
    starkaos wrote: »

Might be possible to do it in water provided the computer parts are sprayed with a superhydrophobic coating. Apparently distilled water is still somewhat conductive to make it useless, but pure water should be non-conductive to run their computer in until the pure water gets contaminated with enough ions to make it conductive.

Easier to just not use water. So-called "dry water" like FM200 or Novec 1230 are fire suppressants that are non-conductive and harmless to electronics. (Datacenters use 1230 instead of water for their fire systems.) You can immerse any electronics in FM200 or N1230 without any ill effects. You just don't want to breathe the vapor. ;)

Check it out:
  • Virtuix_Virtuix_ Small Blue Green Planet 3rd from the Sun Join Date: 2017-03-26 Member: 229210Members
    Thanks for all your tips! I've given up playing on the Oculus Rift due to severe lag and crashing issues, however I found that you can right click on it in Oculus Home and launch it in Desktop mode! I've been playing it for just under an hour, and I've gathered lots of titanium, quartz, food and water. I've crafted a scanner as well. I have a couple of questions about what to do now though. Firstly, I performed a self scan, and it said I was infected and it has caused skin irritation and my immune system has been affected, I don't know what that's about...secondly, at one point, I saved my inventory and just decided to swim as far as I could go. After about 1000m, I found land! On that island there was some weird alien building, with little known information. I found a purple artifact lying around and I opened the door. I found lots of data terminals and ion crystals. On my way back, I also obtained gold, lithium and lead. I also have no idea what thats about.

Also - how do you craft a knife? I really need one but its not in my crafting menu.
    Just played for another hour! Got a seaglide and a radiation suit and started building my base! The only problem is I can only build tunnels, and not an actual room, do I need to find a blueprint or something?...I also tried to explore the Aurora, and I got a message saying something along the lines of "If the radiation is not contained may ruin the alien ecosystem etc" which I'm wondering if I should just ignore...
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Virtuix_ wrote: »
    Just played for another hour! Got a seaglide and a radiation suit and started building my base! The only problem is I can only build tunnels, and not an actual room, do I need to find a blueprint or something?...I also tried to explore the Aurora, and I got a message saying something along the lines of "If the radiation is not contained may ruin the alien ecosystem etc" which I'm wondering if I should just ignore...

Yeah, you need to unlock the room blueprint. There's three places where you can do that. Though you'll find you can live well for a while in the corridors.

You should do something about the radiation, but you're not on a timer. Only get to it when you feel like it.
  • MichloMichlo Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, US. Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222215Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Most Important...

Take Your Time...,

Enjoy all the Incredible Views in the assorted Biomes.

And as said above... scan, Scan, SCAN... everything you can.

B)

And remember that the more messages you actually read from the Communication Device, the farther along you get in the storyline.

So, if you want to make the game last longer without getting killed by the Carar Disease, don't touch the Terminal in the Gun Emplacement on the Mountain Island when prompted to do so.
    (at least until you WANT to finish the story)

It advances the storyline and forces you to go to another place in the ocean to be cured.

B)

Umm, giant spoiler. :disappointed:
  • L4NDSL1DEL4NDSL1DE Planet 4546B Join Date: 2017-04-22 Member: 229850Members
    I highly recommend checking out this guy's T-section base, it'll change your mind a bit about how much space is really available inside. :)
    Coranth wrote: »
    I know we're going to be losing the Multipurpose Room at the start of the Game so, as a test, I slapped together the tiniest base in the Universe. Presenting... the Bolt Hole. How much can you fit in just a T-Section? As it turns out: quite a lot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZclxigyolSw

Update: After a bit of tinkering (I wish they would add more "placement points" for things!) I managed to jam a Medkit Fabricator Box next to the battery charger.

Other than that, sounds like you're on your way with a lot of good advice, have fun exploring!
    This T-Corridor Base looks cool! Perhaps a X-Corridor? But I see he used the T to add a Reinforcement on the wall, giving the design better depth possibilities. Has only 1 Solar Panel but that could be upped, especially at depth. However, I think at the depths that can still use Solar Panels as an effective power source wouldn't need the Reinforcement. Especially if a Foundation could be used.

I make a starting base with 1 or 2 Foundations and 1 Glass Corridor (I like the glass so I can see what's going on outside). On bases I expand, I later add on a MPR opposite the hatch. In the corridor itself, I can put 2 Wall Lockers, 2 Floor Lockers, a Fab, a Medkit Fab, a Comm Relay, a Battery Charger, and 2 Powercell Chargers, and all without using the opposite wall I reserve for expansion.
    Jacke wrote: »
    This T-Corridor Base looks cool! Perhaps a X-Corridor? But I see he used the T to add a Reinforcement on the wall, giving the design better depth possibilities. Has only 1 Solar Panel but that could be upped, especially at depth. However, I think at the depths that can still use Solar Panels as an effective power source wouldn't need the Reinforcement. Especially if a Foundation could be used.

I make a starting base with 1 or 2 Foundations and 1 Glass Corridor (I like the glass so I can see what's going on outside). On bases I expand, I later add on a MPR opposite the hatch. In the corridor itself, I can put 2 Wall Lockers, 2 Floor Lockers, a Fab, a Medkit Fab, a Comm Relay, a Battery Charger, and 2 Powercell Chargers, and all without using the opposite wall I reserve for expansion.

Could also go thermal for deep bases, too. Even when solar's totally impractical, there's usually a thermal source in the general vicinity to mooch off of.

I always add a glass corridor, too. :) The aesthetic is just too good to pass up, even if I do have to build five or six reinforcement panels to pay for the structural integrity hit.
    Could also go thermal for deep bases, too. Even when solar's totally impractical, there's usually a thermal source in the general vicinity to mooch off of.

I always add a glass corridor, too. :) The aesthetic is just too good to pass up, even if I do have to build five or six reinforcement panels to pay for the structural integrity hit.
    Good point about Thermal. I always add in a few of them for my Centre Base as there's a Geyser nearby that I can hook up with 2 or 3 Power Transmitters.

And even at max depth (x3.94 to negative Hull Integrity values), one Glass Corridor (-2) is almost offset by one Reinforcement (+7).