Can my PC run Subnautica?

imajanaeshunimajanaeshun California, US Join Date: 2017-03-28 Member: 229261Members
I played the free trial on Xbox One and I LOVED IT, but the frame rate was pretty atrocious. :( I want to play more of this awesome game, but don't want to sink (no pun intended) $20 into something that's going to hiccup every ten seconds. I'm hoping my gaming laptop can do a better job at running the game, at least until Version 1.0 releases and I can get it on the PS4.
Here's my specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
RAM: 12 GB
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited March 2017
    It should play, but it will probably be a bit laggy.

Also, don't count on PS4 anytime soon.
    They don't even have a definitive start date for that yet.

They might possibly start to fiddle with it after the April update, but that's got a question mark next to it on Trello.
    B)
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    With the V1.0 release pushed back...probably later. Sorry, @DaveyNY.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited March 2017
    With the V1.0 release pushed back...probably later. Sorry, @DaveyNY.

For what?

You pretty much confirmed what I said.
    No apology needed.
    B)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited March 2017
    I played the free trial on Xbox One and I LOVED IT, but the frame rate was pretty atrocious. :( I want to play more of this awesome game, but don't want to sink (no pun intended) $20 into something that's going to hiccup every ten seconds. I'm hoping my gaming laptop can do a better job at running the game, at least until Version 1.0 releases and I can get it on the PS4.
    Here's my specs:
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
    RAM: 12 GB
    Thanks in advance!

What graphics card? You can run Speccy to find out.
  • imajanaeshunimajanaeshun California, US Join Date: 2017-03-28 Member: 229261Members
    @0x6A7232 Crap, I knew I was forgetting something. xD Sorry about that.
    It's a Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    I tried to lookup your graphics card on the Toms Hardware Graphics card hierarchy. But since it is a laptop video card, it's hard to look it up.

I would tend to assume it would be powerful enough to run Subnautica. But I don't know for sure. Here is the place I tried to look it up:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

• MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    My current laptop has a NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 980 DESKTOP - 8.0GB DDR5, G-SYNC - Geforce GTX VR Ready

but my previous laptop had a NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680M - 4.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11 and it ran SN pretty well - a little lag here and there, but on the whole it coped with SN. Your 765M should be fine.
  • imajanaeshunimajanaeshun California, US Join Date: 2017-03-28 Member: 229261Members
    @Myrm @garath Thanks so much! I'm going to buy and install it right now! :blush:
    @imajanaeshun @Myrm @garath Try this site when you can't find the answer conclusively elsewhere: http://www.userbenchmark.com/ Comparing the GTX 765M with Myrm's GTX 980: here, and with Myrm's GTX 680M here -- as you can see, the answer isn't always in the model numbers. However, I'm playing on an Intel HD 530, which compares to your GTX 765M here.

All results will improve as Subnautica is optimized towards it's release date, however. I think you'll be fine (you can always lower settings or even resolution to help.)
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    @imajanaeshun - It's worth buying from Steam, as if your PC can't run it you can have the game deleted from your account and refunded; so long as you have played less than 2 hours or had the game for less than 2 weeks, whichever comes first, you can have a refund. It's a win win situation. No need to visit other sites, install any GPU programs or do morris dancing. Just trial the game.
    Myrm wrote: »
    @imajanaeshun - It's worth buying from Steam, as if your PC can't run it you can have the game deleted from your account and refunded; so long as you have played less than 2 hours or had the game for less than 2 weeks, whichever comes first, you can have a refund. It's a win win situation. No need to visit other sites, install any GPU programs or do morris dancing. Just trial the game.

Or if you love it too much, you can keep it, and reinstall it years later when you get a better PC (although it might be better for you to refund it and buy it at the later point, because it may be cheaper).
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    @imajanaeshun @Myrm @garath Try this site when you can't find the answer conclusively elsewhere: http://www.userbenchmark.com/ Comparing the GTX 765M with Myrm's GTX 980: here, and with Myrm's GTX 680M here -- as you can see, the answer isn't always in the model numbers. However, I'm playing on an Intel HD 530, which compares to your GTX 765M here.

All results will improve as Subnautica is optimized towards it's release date, however. I think you'll be fine (you can always lower settings or even resolution to help.)

Thanks for the tip!
    edited April 2017
    Thanks everyone for the advice! Game runs MUCH better on my PC. The frame rate still hiccups every now and then, and I did have to lower the graphical settings a tad, but the game still looks gorgeous and it still runs infinitely smoother than the Xbox One version. I've already put 24 hours into my save. I LOVE IT. xD
    Thanks again!