I Miss The Old ILZ...

ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
I dunno... something about that emptiness, silence, darkness. Nothing but the sound of the seamoth.

I mean I love the new story and all, but I miss the old game a little.

Does anyone else feel like this or is it just me?

Comments

• Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    That old ILZ gave the impression the story was happening on a world bigger than it. Now, the world is fitted to the story.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    That old ILZ gave the impression the story was happening on a world bigger than it. Now, the world is fitted to the story.

Yeah, I'm not complaining about the story, or really that it's full at all. I just enjoyed the eerie feeling of the empty, ominous cavern of the old ILZ
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    What's wrong with the inactive lava zone now? The sea dragon leviathan thing is kind of loud but the game is better than it used to be.
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    Nothing is wrong. We just miss the old ILZ, the not-linear one.
    What's wrong with the inactive lava zone now? The sea dragon leviathan thing is kind of loud but the game is better than it used to be.

Like i stated before, I'm not complaning at all. I love the ILZ flora and fauna, but the game was a lot creepier in its early stages.
    Avimimus wrote: »
    ShuttleBug wrote: »
    I dunno... something about that emptiness, silence, darkness. Nothing but the sound of the seamoth.

I agree - it was frightening. Really. Truly. Frightening. To be blind in the deep. To have difficulty navigating and no shelter before the yawning abyss.

There is a lot more gameplay in the finished ILZ... definitely the better of the two in that respect.

But I'll miss how the abyss made me feel!

I love the feeling of exploring in your seamoth in the DGR and finding a seemingly endless pit in the ground and wondering what's down there?! without it being filled with life.
    If you think about it, that dark, eerie lifeless tunnels streching under the map were perfect for Subnautica, if for some reason the development of the game had taken another direction.

The old version and the new one are both good on their own way. Each one suited for a specific gameplay over the other, contradictory to one another.
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    edited March 2017
    Am I the only one still confused as to why they removed the ambient sound from the abyss?

Just like a year or so ago, if you were to go to the abyss, you'd hear what sounded like water rushing everywhere (when you're very deep underwater the pressure of the water creates a very loud and very... honestly pretty soothing sound) and a very faint high pitched sound way off in the distance. Now it's just complete silence, and I'm very confused why they did that.

Edit: For those of you unfamiliar with what the deep ocean sounds like:

Just ignore the sound of an iceberg scraping the seafloor and pretend you can hear a very faint high pitched call, and that's what the abyss used to sound like.
    @Fluffers Probably because the Void will be inhabitated by leviathans, and Cyclops will not be invincible. The devs must have reasoned the chances you go deep enough to hear the sound would be slim, since the player character wouldn't even be alive to hear it in the first place.
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    Fluffers wrote: »
    Am I the only one still confused as to why they removed the ambient sound from the abyss?

Just like a year or so ago, if you were to go to the abyss, you'd hear what sounded like water rushing everywhere (when you're very deep underwater the pressure of the water creates a very loud and very... honestly pretty soothing sound) and a very faint high pitched sound way off in the distance. Now it's just complete silence, and I'm very confused why they did that.

Just ignore the sound of an iceberg scraping the seafloor and pretend you can hear a very faint high pitched call, and that's what the abyss used to sound like.

nope.gif

How do you know it's an iceberg hmmmmmm????
  • wowwinkwowwink Merica Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224596Members
    #articbiomeconfermed
    edited March 2017

nope.gif

lol, it's really fun knowing that this is a real recording of our oceans, and you'd have heard that if you were out diving in open ocean.

Imagine being on the first manned voyage to the bottom of the myriana trench and while in this larger-than-mount-everest sized canyon in the pitch black ocean you hear that low pitched wailing all around you.
    edited March 2017
    Edit - Accidentally posted
    there's still a chance that the earth equivalent of the reaper is in our oceans

hiding

Waiting

nope.gif

lol, it's really fun knowing that this is a real recording of our oceans, and you'd have heard that if you were out diving in open ocean.

Imagine being on the first manned voyage to the bottom of the myriana trench and while in this larger-than-mount-everest sized canyon in the pitch black ocean you hear that low pitched wailing all around you.

This is my my worst fear in one sentence.

Subnautica really doesn't help either
    And also this
  • DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    I dunno. I always felt that the old ILZ was dark and scary, but rather underwhelming due to the darkness, and had as hell to navigate. I like the much more...."active" ILZ we have now.

If you're looking for spooky territory, the Blood Kelp Trench works just fine imo.
    Dracobomba wrote: »
    I dunno. I always felt that the old ILZ was dark and scary, but rather underwhelming due to the darkness, and had as hell to navigate. I like the much more...."active" ILZ we have now.

If you're looking for spooky territory, the Blood Kelp Trench works just fine imo.

Well... I was looking for a place with nothing but darkness and spooky ambiance. The ILZ and BKT work, but there so full of life that it feels like it's a place you have to visit. After you visit the BKT and ILZ a lot, you start to loose the fear. I would like a place that's pitch black and silent and the only thing that makes you want to go there is your own curiosity. The old ILZ had that perfectly.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    There is already a perfectly good place that fits your description to a 'T'...

Go wander around in the dark abyss off the ends of the map.

B)
  • cdaragorncdaragorn Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212685Members
    Nah, there's nothing there so my curiosity is over in about 10 seconds. There still needs to be something to explore.
    cdaragorn wrote: »
    Nah, there's nothing there so my curiosity is over in about 10 seconds. There still needs to be something to explore.

Well, that old ILZ sure was something. All the biomes, for some reason, they don't get very interesting after some time exploring them.

Maybe, if the devs had decided to keep the old ILZ, and adding that sound @Fluffers posted here, and oh boy! Sum it with the Ghost Leviathan.

If things were like that, bye bye PG-10 XD
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members

You own the game, yes? There are ways of acquiring older revisions... just to compare. I mean, the devs aren't going to get any good feedback (probably) if you're playing an outdated version. But it would be fun just to go back in time, and it is possible.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    DaveyNY wrote: »

B)

• SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

You own the game, yes? There are ways of acquiring older revisions... just to compare. I mean, the devs aren't going to get any good feedback (probably) if you're playing an outdated version. But it would be fun just to go back in time, and it is possible.

Care to elaborate on how to do this?

The farthest back in time I've gotten is just by not updating my first save file, and it is now stuck in pre H2.0.

But I would love to play when the game was first released. My nostalgia levels would be through the roof.
    Skope wrote: »

Care to elaborate on how to do this?

The farthest back in time I've gotten is just by not updating my first save file, and it is now stuck in pre H2.0.

But I would love to play when the game was first released. My nostalgia levels would be through the roof.

Ya, but not publicly (as then anyone who wanted could just get the game for free, unfortunately). XP See PMs in a min or two.

B)

I do this often but it's not the same feeling as the old game :(

I would love to know how to do this!

Ya know, for da spook ;)

B)

Ya know, for da spook ;)
    PM'ed

B)

Ya know, for da spook ;)
    PM'ed

Thanks ;)
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited March 2017
    Kouji_San wrote: »

B)

DAVE always wins in the end...

:p