How to give the Ghost Leviathan a vanishing ability while not having to write a new AI.

kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
Ok, I know how difficult programming is. Please, for the love of larry, don't give me "THIS WILL NEVER WORK" rants. It is just an outline.

Step 1: Make about 10 different models for the GL, with decreasing transparency. Keep the eyes always 100% opaque.
Step 2: Copy the reaper AI
Step 3/ Patrol mode: Where the reaper would roar, The GL will turn invisible by looping through the different models. Set a delay for about 15 sec, and run through the loop again, but backwards. wait 30 - 40 sec, and repeat this whole step.
Step 4/ Attack mode.: When the GL notices the player, it will pretend not to notice. (like the reaper) It will swim away, and fade out. Now it, like the reaper, will do a 180 degree turn, and charge the player while invisible, and letting out a ghostly howl/roar. When the GL catches the player, It will deal 70 dmg and become visible. If has chased the player for about 20 seconds without success, it will become visible again. If it does not catch the player, it will go into Patrol mode again.

That's it for now. I may edit this to add help for any wandering dev who happens to stumble across this thread.

Comments

• CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    This is awesome! I made a thread that talked about some invisible ability, and this is exactly what I imagined!
  • AstromancerAstromancer Texas Join Date: 2016-05-13 Member: 216713Members
    Neat idea, but it does sound a like fair amount of work, so if something similar to this ever happens, it would be after 1.0
    Please put all ideas and suggestions in the proper forums sub-section next time.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    Wouldn't it take a lot of memory/time to switch out the models and rig them to the same shape as the previous models?
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Neat idea, but it does sound a like fair amount of work, so if something similar to this ever happens, it would be after 1.0
    Please put all ideas and suggestions in the proper forums sub-section next time.

Sorry about that. My bad.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Wouldn't it take a lot of memory/time to switch out the models and rig them to the same shape as the previous models?

Not if you do the rig first and then dupe the models.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    kingkuma wrote: »
    Ok, I know how difficult programming is. Please, for the love of larry, don't give me "THIS WILL NEVER WORK" rants. It is just an outline.

Step 1: Make about 10 different models for the GL, with decreasing transparency. Keep the eyes always 100% opaque.
    Step 3/ Patrol mode: Where the reaper would roar, The GL will turn invisible by looping through the different models. Set a delay for about 15 sec, and run through the loop again, but backwards. wait 30 - 40 sec, and repeat this whole step.
    Step 4/ Attack mode.: When the GL notices the player, it will pretend not to notice. (like the reaper) It will swim away, and fade out. Now it, like the reaper, will do a 180 degree turn, and charge the player while invisible, and letting out a ghostly howl/roar. When the GL catches the player, It will deal 70 dmg and become visible. If has chased the player for about 20 seconds without success, it will become visible again. If it does not catch the player, it will go into Patrol mode again.

That's it for now. I may edit this to add help for any wandering dev who happens to stumble across this thread.

I love this idea!

But I'd hate to have a reaper A.I. dupe. Maybe modify the behavior a little so it moves in a different way than the reaper.

Love the invisibility mode tho ;)
    ShuttleBug wrote: »

I love this idea!

But I'd hate to have a reaper A.I. dupe. Maybe modify the behavior a little so it moves in a different way than the reaper.

Love the invisibility mode tho ;)

I agree with your point on the dupe. Maybe they could modify it after implementing the first script, so they can test it.
  • wowwinkwowwink Merica Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224596Members
    I just thought that you needed this.1mrteki1p0pu.gif

It's a Monday
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members

Not if you do the rig first and then dupe the models.

The difference is ten different models or one model that's ten times the size it needs to be. Either way, gonna need a lot more RAM than just changing the alpha(a single number) of the skin texture. I'd rather wait and they update the ghost leviathan with unique behavior later doing it right.
  • El_Leviatan_FantasmaEl_Leviatan_Fantasma Florida Join Date: 2017-02-19 Member: 228053Members
    Considering it's already pretty translucent and will be in a biome with spooky green water, the Phantom Leviathan doesn't need a cloaking ability to be hard to see.
  • DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members

Unfortunately, the devs specifically stated that the Ghost leviathan will only get in before 1.0 as a Reaper re-skin. If it makes it to post-1.0, though, it could be more interesting, or it could be updated with different abilities.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Dracobomba wrote: »

Unfortunately, the devs specifically stated that the Ghost leviathan will only get in before 1.0 as a Reaper re-skin. If it makes it to post-1.0, though, it could be more interesting, or it could be updated with different abilities.

Well, v1.0 just got pushed to .. September? So, who knows (it would depend on the different devs responsible for doing the workload, and how much spare time they have between optimization and bugfixing).
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    edited March 2017
    I absolutely love this idea, but know that if the ghost leviathan gets ingame, it's very improbable that it has this ability to start with. However, it could be made a thing after some updates. Remember the crabsquid? It was added in the machinery update (may 2016) but the EMP blast was only out with the dangerous creatures update (september 2016).

Temporary invisibility would be amazing, the slime rancher devs did it with one of their slimes:

latest?cb=20160827123207