QA Team Update - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited March 2017 in NS2 General Discussion

imageQA Team Update - Natural Selection 2

Greetings! My name is Chris “IronHorse” Gates and I wanted to announce a couple of things to the Natural Selection 2 community today. First off, UWE has brought me on...

Read the full story here

Comments

• WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    bump! and welcome aboard IronHorse
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Congrats Ironhorse.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Thanks! :smiley:
    I'm setting up the feedback system this week, it should be ready to go for you PTs by next week.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    so... does that mean you are the new community manager?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Lol... no.. that position is still not filled.
    However, since I am pretty active already in communications, and will be even moreso going forward.. it may appear like that's the case to some.
    For instance, I'm compiling answers for that 7 month old reddit Q&A..

But I'll be mainly doing QA to start.. with potentially more cinematic work down the line.
    (I've already done a bit of cinematic work previously, from halloween stuff to infested fx to redoing fade blink, Exo fx etc etc)
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Something is really wrong here.

FOR WHAT REASON you still have blue color text instead of yellow???
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bug report: railgun exos cannot shoot through walls. literally unplayabel. fix NOW
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Mephilles wrote: »
    so... does that mean you are the new community manager?

Ironhorse just does all the hard and gruelling work related to interacting with the community and testing the game, just without the pay.

I'd like to take a moment to say that I (and hopefully most people around) appreciate your sacrifice, @Ironhorse.

I feel the need to clarify that this post is 100% serious.
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    .. For instance, I'm compiling answers for that 7 month old reddit Q&A..
    It's 7 months already? I'm giving up and don't care anymore as probably several persons who do post a questions there.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Chris is best boss. Happy to have him back!
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2017
    Congrats.

Finally a FCAT analysis incoming to examine this effect?

130 fps in NS2 still didnt feel like 130fps.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2017
    I have a bug report,

/n the title in "System's" post, after the image

\o/
    @The_Welsh_Wizard Fixed!

@SquishpokePOOPFACE You know they used to originally, yeh? At least in the internal builds they did.. it was sooo powerful tho, it was silly.

@Vetinari Awww.. Thanks man :D

@ZycaR Well hopefully at the very least it will illicit new questions that I may field, even if the first answers I provide are no longer relevant anymore. Also, I'd rather the community know that we can be more responsive in our communications going forward, than worry about who considers it a waste of time to answer something so old.

@Narfwak <3

@dePARA I've definitely wanted to do an FCAT analysis for some time now.. it's definitely not an easy task tho, given the hardware setup requirements..
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • bonagebonage Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162230Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Congrats IH

Going to be honest though - what's the point of this exactly ? Does UWE believe NS2 has anything left in the tank to warrant an official QA position? Is there going to be a significant increase in development output or is it going to be more of the same?

Would legitimately love to have a rational discussion about what UWE thinks the future of this game will be with any dev that is willing; open or closed, either is fine.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Can't wait for all the ui updates and bug fixes....
  • xuuxuu Sydney, Australia Join Date: 2014-11-26 Member: 199814Members
    edited March 2017
    Firstly, congratulations on your new position.

Is it weird knowing that all your future hard work is for a community with an average of 220 players daily for the past 12 months? Don't you feel really really really cheated by that?

Yes this tone is cynical.

I love the enthusiasm, but wouldn't it be great if all that energy went into something which had a future. A future like NS3 could provide. Last time I checked NS2 was well beyond use-by date.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2017
    It's happened, the plan is complete. First matter of buisness, a blanket ban on all user accounts affiliated with AusNS2. Secondly, we're buffing the lerk - bzzzzz!

Still, I'm interested to see what comes of this, but I'm really waiting for some big announcement. Something must be happening for UWE to warrant continuing it's involvement and keeping members actively testing and updating the game... Right?
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited March 2017
    I actually posted this when i made this post, but for some reason it disappeared, i only checked back now, wait good luck for your QA testing if you ever need more help just let me know and i'll share some exploits/bugs with you again, regardless how about removing two for each new one added?

NS2 free to play when, how far is it delayed at this rate @Flayra

I'd also like to interject that you are all being nudged and preparing to optimise for a steady build, sort of like what happened in NS1 around 3.11, i wonder if it's the same person doing the nudging as it was done back then, regardless...
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Does this mean that we will finally see no more floating pistols?
    edited March 2017
    bonage wrote: »
    Does UWE believe NS2 has anything left in the tank to warrant an official QA position? Is there going to be a significant increase in development output or is it going to be more of the same?
    Good question! The answer is yes, essentially, as the team has some larger features coming down the pipeline and they have their hands full with development, so they can no longer afford the time or focus necessary to truly ensure a bug free build by sitting in and managing PT sessions or reports. Some of these larger features and changes will be ripe with new bugs that need a detail oriented eyes and organization. You can always expect "more of the same" in regard to small fixes, but like I mentioned there's some bigger items coming too that we cannot just yet mention as its still too early in development / their viability is being assessed and we don't wish to get anyone's hopes up.
    Does that answer your question?
    Scatter wrote: »
    Can't wait for all the ui updates ....
    Discussing improvements to these today, actually :)

xuu wrote: »
    Is it weird knowing that all your future hard work is for a community with an average of 220 players daily for the past 12 months? Don't you feel really really really cheated by that?
    I definitely have a small sense of sadness over that, but frankly the game has been in development for sooooo long now and with a stable core of gamers still playing there's still a reason to continue development, and I hope that those that still play appreciate such a thing. I definitely don't feel cheated, however. And I also don't have any grandiose expectations like suddenly increasing the player base by 3k or anything. Mostly I feel like getting NS2 into a constantly better shape near the end of its life can only be a worthwhile endeavor, especially if F2P is ever on the docket. (it might be if development actually ends) I want to put a disclaimer that F2P isn't seen as some silver bullet in any way, and in fact can cause even worse issues, but if its my favorite game and I've been involved with its development for so many years, I really don't have any hesitation to continue contributions even this late in its life... if only for the 220 daily players or for an eventual end of life.
    Like I said, my largest hope is that they actually agree with and appreciate the changes, because they'd be things that they'd want and therefore wouldn't cause a controversial stir like some other features implemented in the past.

In my mind, a theoretical NS3 would be something many in this community might not even appreciate. I envision it as something that's less niche and much more casual, with mass appeal.
    But who's to say... in any case I know that the current team would be incredibly happy to start on such a promising project. But that doesn't take away from their passion on the work they do now.
    I guess that's really the summary / core answer to your question. Our passion for the game is still what drives us, against any potential demoralizing odds.
    Jekt wrote: »
    It's happened, the plan is complete. First matter of buisness, a blanket ban on all user accounts affiliated with AusNS2. Secondly, we're buffing the lerk - bzzzzz!

Still, I'm interested to see what comes of this, but I'm really waiting for some big announcement. Something must be happening for UWE to warrant continuing it's involvement and keeping members actively testing and updating the game... Right?
    You discovered the 4D chess strategy of mine! :P
    And unfortunately my prior contribution of a slight eHP buff to lerk (to compensate for hitbox change) is where it probably ends for that lifeform.. probably. I'm still pushing for one more thing..

I definitely don't wish to hype up anything because there's nothing *groundbreaking*, but there are some cool things in the pipe that I think will be appreciated. Some are already known like 64 bit.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Spores should replace Spikes as a Tier 1 Lerk ability and Rantology's alien bars should be made default.

Also congrats on getting hired. :tongue:
    Thanks!
    And yeah you read my mind.. (that's something I've said since launch) but that probably will not happen due to a very long story.
    So the change I am pushing for is more subtle one to improve accessibility, and that's wider Spike projectiles accompanied by proportionately adjusted damage.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    We already got bigger hitboxes, can we stop making this game like CoD now?
    @The_Welsh_Wizard
    52880601.jpg

If you don't think it's a good idea, it would be far more helpful if you could break down your reasoning why instead of whatever that was.
    You were against the eHP lerk buff, but that seems to have worked out without any game breaking side effects or high controversy?
    I won't rest until I win NS2 by natural selection (be the last player left in the game). From the steady 200+ concurrent players, it seems that they also have the same goal...
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Yes. I can finally blame Ironhorse for real! today is a good day.
    Mhuahaha.

Gratz on your new position man :)
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    So the change I am pushing for is more subtle one to improve accessibility, and that's wider Spike projectiles accompanied by proportionately adjusted damage.
    Wouldn't that be actually punishing the better players? Maybe the effects are minimal but the concept seems iffy without details.

When/what was this eHP buff by the way? I must have forgotten about it. I've survived as a lerk by a hair sometimes, but in general bad lerks flash and good lerks don't get that low anyway. I'm guessing he is more opposed to the buffing hp as a result of the hitbox change instead of just reverting the hitbox? It might even be a net loss for lerks as they will still take on more damage from the hitbox change.
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    In my mind, a theoretical NS3 would be something many in this community might not even appreciate. I envision it as something that's less niche and much more casual, with mass appeal.

Hmm.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    Nintendows wrote: »

Hmm.

sadface