What is the scariest biome in subnautica?

InnovaInnova Join Date: 2017-03-11 Member: 228829Members
What's your opinion? For me it is that open, dark area of the underwater islands.

Comments

• CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    For me probably blood kelp.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    But seriously, I'd say the lost river
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Underwater Islands - those bone sharks are mean!
  • LordDerpLordDerp Netherlands Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207871Members
    Going off atmosphere, I'm gonna have to say parts of the lost river and the bloodkelp zones (mostly the original, very deep one). However, I HATE large open areas, so for me the part under the floating island and the underwater islands are the creepiest
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Blood Kelp. Most of the abyssal regions of our own planet's oceans haven't been explored. The creatures that make it their home are pale, eerie and downright alien, if not horrific. I don't get that same feeling with the new Blood Kelp zone (The one bordering the floating islands and mushroom forest), it seems too open and bright. But the Blood Kelp Trench is very creepy to me.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited March 2017
    Accidently falling off the edge of the seafloor into the abyss when maneuvering in my PRAWN.
    (and forgetting to have my Grappler arm)

:#
  • InnovaInnova Join Date: 2017-03-11 Member: 228829Members
    I also find the deep parts of the dunes quite unsettling, I mean, it is so open and dark. Plus reaper jump scares.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Grand Reef and Deep Grand Reef are my biggest "check my surroundings every five seconds". They're spacious, yet feel cramped, and the crabsquid-warper combo makes me nervous to no end.

Second is the Sparse Reef for flawless atmosphere. It's completely safe, but the combination of those spires almost like the area is fenced off, that hollow music, the lack of upwards structures (other than the precursor arch) combined with the presence of various gorges, and the eerie green dead look of it all sets me on edge.
  • DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    Lots of places in the game are very deep and scary. It's hard to specify one.

On my first playthrough, though, I specifically remember being terrified by the Blood Kelp Zone (which was originally just the Blood Kelp Trench). I passed by it by chance while trying to find my way back to the Grand Reef. Seeing a deep crevice with only a slightest hint at the eerie Blood kelp was truly a harrowing experience. Not to mention it's pitch black down there, and if you go deep enough, there's ampeels lurking down there. It was also (at the time) the deepest part of the map, which only added to the creepy atmosphere.
  • Deoxys_0Deoxys_0 Join Date: 2017-01-21 Member: 227029Members
    edited March 2017
    Blood kelp simply because of the Blood Crawlers:
    800?cb=20160819144839
    640?cb=20160920212538
    (Images from the wiki.)
    It's weird because almost no other creature in Subnautica freaks me out/scares me, not even Reaper Leviathans nor Crabsquids. But something about Blood Crawlers just never sits well with me. I think it has to do how large they are and how their legs are significantly longer in proportion to their bodies than Cave Crawlers, because I'm not bothered by Cave Crawlers at all. I think the long legs, size, and probably a bit of arachnophobia are the reason why this is literally the only creature in Subnautica that I'm afraid of, and it's not even very dangerous. But it definitely has to do majorly with the legs being so long, because like I said, Cave Crawlers don't bother me. However, Sea Treaders don't bother me at all so I think it's also how the legs are set up and attached to the body (the shape of them and what not).

EDIT: I also forgot to mention the sound. That plays a big part as well. They're always screaming at you with eerie screeches and other creepy noises.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Underwater islands, by far. Sets off my thalassophobia every time.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Deoxys_0 wrote: »
    I think the long legs, size, and probably a bit of arachnophobia are the reason why this is literally the only creature in Subnautica that I'm afraid of, and it's not even very dangerous. But it definitely has to do majorly with the legs being so long, because like I said, Cave Crawlers don't bother me. However, Sea Treaders don't bother me at all so I think it's also how the legs are set up and attached to the body (the shape of them and what not).

Might also be that blood crawler legs are much more in motion than the steady, sturdy step of sea treaders.
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    The blood kelp, the deep grand reef, and the deeper ends of the mountains to a lesser extent.

As far as visually scary, blood kelp easily.
  • SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
    The Inactive Lava Zone Corridor that's to the north of the Aurora wreck, that tunnel is pretty much pitch black walls, ceilings and floors so it's very easy to get lost in there when piloting the Cyclops, (more so when the Cyclops's lights don't illuminate the tunnel worth a frag.)

Namely when leaving the lnactive Lava zone by the south entrance, finding your way out while extremely running low on power cells from leeches can be more than a little scary/stressful.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    The mountans. No question. I'm driving a seamoth - "wait - was that a reaper?" - (frantically looks around) "no, just my music (I usually play hans zimmer's "mountains" when I'm there)" This repeats a few times. (hears noise) "oh, just my music" (sees tail) "OH CRAP IT'S AN ACTUAL REAPER.
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Accidently falling off the edge of the seafloor into the abyss when maneuvering in my PRAWN.

Yes, I have just done that and have gone too deep to use the jets. So I jumped out and left it suspended there (I notice that falling objects stop falling when out of sight). My intention is to get the Cyclops upgraded to the deepest it can go, drive over and past the PRAWN, then dive so I am at a lower depth than the PRAWN, then slowly make my way toward it, hopefully appearing right beneath it so the PRAWN lands on top of the Cyclops. Then vary slowly ascend, hopefully keeping the PRAWN balanced on top of it.

Not sure if it will work, but it's worth a try.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Myrm wrote: »
    DaveyNY wrote: »

Yes, I have just done that and have gone too deep to use the jets. So I jumped out and left it suspended there (I notice that falling objects stop falling when out of sight). My intention is to get the Cyclops upgraded to the deepest it can go, drive over and past the PRAWN, then dive so I am at a lower depth than the PRAWN, then slowly make my way toward it, hopefully appearing right beneath it so the PRAWN lands on top of the Cyclops. Then vary slowly ascend, hopefully keeping the PRAWN balanced on top of it.

Should be able to drop down on top of the PRAWN and it will dock, IIRC I read someone did that so there's that. Use your lower camera located amidships, I think that will give you the best vantage point to try this.
  • SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
    edited March 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Should be able to drop down on top of the PRAWN and it will dock, IIRC I read someone did that so there's that. Use your lower camera located amidships, I think that will give you the best vantage point to try this.

Aye I've done that before when I've had the Seamoth or Prawn run out of juice unexpectedly, it's really pretty easy once you get the hang of it.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    For me it's the dunes or the mountains, not because of the atmosphere but because I know what lurks there. As far as what biome had the biggest inital "holy crap" impact... definitely the blood kelp trench.

edited March 2017
    Myrm wrote: »

IT WORKED!!!!!!! :o:D Just rescued my PRAWN 800m down in the void using the method described above.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    Scariest? Literally everything after the safe shallows. But the worst is probably where the dunes and mountains meet at the end of the map because I usually never go there. The fear of the unknown man. The fear... :'(
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    The place where I've felt the closest to fear (more like oppression) is underneath the floating island. I dunno, something about all that rock above and no clear path to the surface.

I should feel the same in cave systems but I don't. There's Just something about being under that island.
    I feel like the grand reef has the potential to be terrifying, but the lack of threat there kinda counters the music, atmosphere, and ambiance. Maybe like a Pygmy leviathan or something could make it more threatening :s
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited March 2017
    I think it's the "CTD Biome"...

The one that some folks end up in, where they can't play the game.

17-Silly-Minion-Quotes-5877-12.jpg

• FleursFleurs France Join Date: 2017-02-18 Member: 228025Members
    The place where I've felt the closest to fear (more like oppression) is underneath the floating island. I dunno, something about all that rock above and no clear path to the surface.

I should feel the same in cave systems but I don't. There's Just something about being under that island.

I think it is due to the fact it is one of the darkest biome, and it feel so deep, since you can't see the bottom, and once you reach it, there is only blackness all around, even light seems to suffocate there. I find it the most oppresive too due to that.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    ShuttleBug wrote: »
    I feel like the grand reef has the potential to be terrifying, but the lack of threat there kinda counters the music, atmosphere, and ambiance. Maybe like a Pygmy leviathan or something could make it more threatening :s

They added bonesharks and mesmers.
    edited March 2017
    kingkuma wrote: »
    ShuttleBug wrote: »

They added bonesharks and mesmers.

I think too many biomes have the plain "bone shark". Mesmers or a variation of the bone shark could fit.