Let's have a talk about base stability.

Silk_SkSilk_Sk United States Join Date: 2015-01-03 Member: 200602Members
Overall, I love this mechanic a whole lot. When building massive bases as I tend to do, it becomes deliciously challenging to balance appearance with durability. Yeah, I'd love to have miles of glass corridors and 20 all-purpose rooms with nothing but windows at 800 depth, but how am I going to reinforce it all? There are only a few odd things about it that I think should be addressed.

Hatches placed on Alien Containment Units should not effect stability. If the ACU doesn't effect stability, then the hatches shouldn't either. In fact, I think ACU hatches should be a distinct module from regular hatches. I mean, look at them. They're so tiny yet they cost the same as an outdoor hatch. I think one or two titanium is all they would cost, since they use glass that's already there.

And about bulkheads: these are a convenient and cool way to reinforce your base, but you can only place them at the ends of corridors/compartments. Why can't I place them at the connection between two rooms? The cost of corridors also seems a bit much. 4 titanium? That's the same as a base foundation.

It would be nice to have another reinforcement module you could place inside rooms. I'm thinking a large plasteel pillar that would add +20 stability. The cost would be something like two plasteel ingots.

Finally, you should be able to place reinforcements anywhere you can put a window or an external hatch. Right now, you can't put reinforcements on the tops of corridors/compartments, but you can put windows there. If putting a window there decreases stability, you should be able to put a reinforcement there as well.

Oh, and I might as well mention the cost of windows. One window should cost one glass, but glass corridors should cost three glass. It's very strange for them to both cost two glass. That is all.

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I'd love all of this, especially the pillar. Could easily come with some variations like a simple pillar, one with a circular surrounding bench (would go great with a full glass room), and one with shelves to place stuff on.
  • TheLordEternalTheLordEternal The Earth Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206851Members
    Honestly it would look good if you could place reinforcement on windows as well, giving them that plated-edges-look that reinforced walls already has. Would obviously not give as much reinforcement as a wall, But enough to mitigate the pressure at deeper depths.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Honestly it would look good if you could place reinforcement on windows as well, giving them that plated-edges-look that reinforced walls already has. Would obviously not give as much reinforcement as a wall, But enough to mitigate the pressure at deeper depths.
    Reinforced Windows for 1 Titanium, 1 Lithium and 2 Enameled Glass? Is at least neutral for base integrity or may even add a few points.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    Reinforced Windows for 1 Titanium, 1 Lithium and 2 Enameled Glass? Is at least neutral for base integrity or may even add a few points.

Just 2 Enameled Glass I'd think, it's what the Cyclops uses and it goes all the way down to the depths.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    Silk_Sk wrote: »
    Right now, you can't put reinforcements on the tops of corridors/compartments, but you can put windows there.

Wait, what? Hold on, I gotta test this-

Huh, I couldn't put a window on the ROOF of the corridor, but I could put it on the end-cap, which was kinda neat.
  • Silk_SkSilk_Sk United States Join Date: 2015-01-03 Member: 200602Members
    edited March 2017
    Kyman201 wrote: »

Huh, I couldn't put a window on the ROOF of the corridor

Odd. I've done that many times. You can even put hatches there.

EDIT: See? http://i.imgur.com/sQrmIIH.jpg
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Silk_Sk wrote: »
    Kyman201 wrote: »

Huh, I couldn't put a window on the ROOF of the corridor

Odd. I've done that many times. You can even put hatches there.

EDIT: See? http://i.imgur.com/sQrmIIH.jpg

Wow! Thanks for the pic! I'm looking forward to trying that when I get off work. Thanks again!
  • winerdarwinerdar Join Date: 2017-02-22 Member: 228141Members
    The bulkheads are also great for separating your large seabase into sections in case of flooding, just like in real life. My main gripe with the bulkheads is that i can't place them inbetween two multipurpose rooms that are right next to each other. I would love to be able to place a bulkhead in that small corridor between to close multipurpose rooms. Instead i have to plan and space them out farther than i want to.

Now i recently made a giant seabase in the Lost River junction biome. To get an idea of scale, i had to bring over 4 shipments of my cyclops stuffed with titanium lockers on the main deck.

I dealt with the base strength problem via a few easy tactics. First is that much of my base on the bottom level is built on top of a foundation just like it would be in real life. The real major trick is that my multipurpose room for my powerplant is completely lined with the hull reinforcements except for the one slot used to get into the room.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    IMHO, it'd be great to have a few random events to make base stability fluctuate (so if you don't build withe enough margin, you might return to find flooding).
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Avimimus wrote: »
    IMHO, it'd be great to have a few random events to make base stability fluctuate (so if you don't build withe enough margin, you might return to find flooding).

I'd like that. It'd make base stability more immersive. (Ofc, then we also that much more badly need to have something to keep track of base stability outside of when building.)