I'm going to need assurances from the devs that this game will be optimized before final release.

Silk_SkSilk_Sk United States Join Date: 2015-01-03 Member: 200602Members
(reddit x-post)

Let's be real. This game is mind blowing, but it runs like a one-legged hippo pushing a loaded shopping cart through a mirror maze. It's slow, confusing, inconsistent, and everything is breaking or being lost entirely.

I've been playing this game for two years because it is incredible. But it's starting to feel like this is just the way it is. Half the map will always have an average of 1-15 fps with terrain and creatures constantly popping into existence a few feet in front of your face. If this were any other game, I wouldn't play it for one hour before asking for a refund.

But it isn't any other game. This is Subnautica, and I fell in love with it forever years before early access even started, when the music and concept art were released.

The game feels nearly finished. It will more than likely be this year. But with version 1.0 so tantalizingly close, the fact that the game is still in such rough condition breaks my heart.
Sometimes I imagine what it would be like to play this game with a steady framerate and no terrain pop-in and I get goosebumps. I want to play that game so badly it is physically painful. But while the end of early access feels closer and closer, that dream feels more and more distant.

So please, devs. I need a guarantee from you that the game will not launch like this. I don't care when it releases. Whether it is this year, next year, or two years from now, no matter how much it work it takes to fix, no matter how many months go by without a content update, whatever the cost, the game cannot be released in anything resembling this horrid condition. Because if you do, it will not take the world by storm the way I know it deserves to. Its legacy will be tainted and the rest of the gaming world will drop this game before they can see the a truly magical experience it has the potential to be. Please promise me this won't happen.

Comments

• GreybeardGreybeard USA Join Date: 2016-09-24 Member: 222538Members
    Disclaimer: I am not aiming this squarely at the SN devs. Rather, the whole industry.

You're asking the impossible. No way are ANY developers/publishers going to admit to anything putting their game into a negative light. Of course they're gonna say it'll run great (even if it won't). There are deadlines and bottom lines to be met, and they override any goodwill towards us gamers. It's sad, but true. I used to be a bit more idealistic when I was a younger lad, but time has changed that. The gaming industry has made me jaded. It's no different in the music, or movie industry.

505 Studios lied and lied to us on the forums, concerning fixing and not abandoning Pixel Piracy...

If it were 100% up to the devs, I'm sure they would want nothing more than to give us the best version of their vision. Sadly, that's not how it works. I'm hoping for the best, but setting my expectations somewhere in the middle.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    I'm inclined to agree with @Greybeard here, but UWO has been one of the best dev teams I've followed through a beta so there is still hope that it will come out smooth. It would be a crime against gaming to let the masterpiece that is Subnautica (imo) to be finished without addressing the pop-in.
  • zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    the dream..... ppl bitchin' about a game that's in active development... the dream.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    (god how many people do I have to tell this to?) The game is still EA, a work in progress. You can't optimize something that isn't finished yet, or not implemented yet. When the game is released, it will run solid, I bet you.
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    (god how many people do I have to tell this to?) The game is still EA, a work in progress. You can't optimize something that isn't finished yet, or not implemented yet. When the game is released, it will run solid, I bet you.

And the game is launching in May.

Unless there is a delay, I doubt there will be any significant fixes unless they complete the game within the month and focus all efforts on bugs. Furthermore there are still things making this game far too easy I believe they should fix.

So yeah they have work.
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    Reapers spawning right in front of us...
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    And the game is launching in May.

I love the game, but I'd be vary surprised if it is released in May.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    I'd rather they wait another year before releasing. That way they can fix the bugs and work on the content that was cut due to time restrictions.
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    Well, we need to be patient I'm afraid. Time will tell if 1.0 will be released on May or postponed to another date.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Personally, I run top settings on water quality and overall quality, and I never get lag (except for when I need to clear my cache). The only bug I get is the terrain not loading, but that's pretty rare, If your game has lag problems:

1. Reset your cache.
    2. Get a better graphics card / processor

I feel like AT TIMES (not saying now) people try to blame the devs for their own computer issues. If a game lags, It's not necessary the devs' fault.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    kingkuma wrote: »
    Personally, I run top settings on water quality and overall quality, and I never get lag (except for when I need to clear my cache). The only bug I get is the terrain not loading, but that's pretty rare, If your game has lag problems:

1. Reset your cache.

I feel like AT TIMES (not saying now) people try to blame the devs for their own computer issues. If a game lags, It's not necessary the devs' fault.

You running Subnautica from an SSD? If not, move it to one if you've got one. My signature has instructions if you need (but note you'll also need a Steam Library on the SSD before Steam will show you the option to move it).
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Solid State Drives definitely make a huge difference. I'll watch YouTube videos of Subnautica game play where it seems like it takes 60-70 seconds to load the game. For me, running it from an SSD, it never takes more than 15 seconds to load the game.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    I never get lag (except for when I need to clear my cache)

But if you never get lag, then you don't need to clear your cache... or are you saying do you get lag? :confused:

This is true, and I will admit I currently run Subnautica on a sub-optimal set up. However I would like to point out, when I first started playing in July 2016, the game ran phenomenally well in the early days, but over the course of a few stable updates the game progressively got worse after several hours of a save file progress. Whether it was due to cache files not unloading properly, memory leaks crashing the game, or the game tracking terrain changes causing the save file to billow out over 3GB in size, it was largely due to the game itself. My system hasn't changed over the time of playing Subnautica, yet something was dragging down performance.

The game has since improved dramatically for me since the December update, what with the removal of active terrain deformation and many under-the-hood system changes. It runs as well now as it did when I first started playing, and I appreciate all of the hard work the developers have done and will continue to do for this wonderful game. :love: But just keep in mind, there are players with far better systems than I have who also are playing Subnautica, that have performance issues worse than what I've had to deal with.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

1. Reset your cache.

You running Subnautica from an SSD? If not, move it to one if you've got one. My signature has instructions if you need (but note you'll also need a Steam Library on the SSD before Steam will show you the option to move it).

Yes, I have an SSD.
    edited March 2017
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    I never get lag (except for when I need to clear my cache)

But if you never get lag, then you don't need to clear your cache... or are you saying do you get lag? :confused:

Oh - sorry for the confusion. I clear my cache when my game takes about 3 minutes to load. I don't even bother seeing if it lags. I know it will.
  • winerdarwinerdar Join Date: 2017-02-22 Member: 228141Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    The 'May launch' date is not set in stone as we're self-publishing the game. May was just a guestimate. We will move the date if we feel the need to. Performance right now isn't great, we know this. We need time to get it better. We're going to be working very hard to get performance where it needs to be and we're very confident that we can do that for 1.0, whenever that is.

This is why i love the Subnautica devs. You actually read what the community says and keeps us informed.

As for performance, the xbox one version has helped create a baseline requirement for performance. The standard should be to be able to run well on a system with similar specs to the xbox one. The xbox one has a small amount of ram and doesn't utilize an SSD.

Currently, the precursor update dramatically improved framerates but entity and terrain loading is terrible. Specifically the render distance of terrain is too short. I explore the lost river and i don't have the walls load even though i can see them far away.