A new challenge: Cave bases! (i.e. how many caves have room for a multi-purpose room?)

AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
The new patch actually improved base building in a lot of ways - for instance, you can now build structures on the sides of cliffs if they are even just a little bit rugged. However, it added a new challenge too!

Before the patch building in a cave would create a larger cave - now it doesn't. So you have to really plan any underground bases.

Furthermore there are only a few places where caves are big enough to hold a multi-purpose room... for that sweet filtered water!

So the challenge is What locations are large enough for cave bases?

Feel free to share coordinates and pictures!

Comments

• Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    Well, I am on a fresh save since the last update. I'll see if I can get creative lol.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Jellyshroom caves comes to mind immediately, if you want to tangle with Crabsnakes every time you exit your base. But there are quite a few thermal vents for power.

There is the Mountain Island caves, there are some wide, open caves with a lot of plants for Bioreactor power.

Possibly caves in the Koosh zone might be big enough, but I'm not exactly sure of that.

And if you want a real tight space, the caves inside the giant Mushroom tree could hold a single room.

Those are all the caves I can think of.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    The Sparse Reef has quite a few caves at the border to the Sea Treader's Path which are spacious enough for even a Moonpool.
    The northern Blood Kelp zone is riddled with deep caves that have plenty of room if you don't mind four legged banshees screeching all the time and creepy Biters bumping around.
    There is one big cave in the Mountains, near the wreck, which has a thermal vent inside, iirc. Would work well for a base, too.
    There is a nice Thermal vent with plenty of flat area going from the Boneyard to the lava zone. I believe it is right after the tree heading from the boneyard entrance. I have built a small base here and manage to stay relatively safe. I would recommend a PRAWN suit before attempting this cave. It also doesn't serve much purpose other than a deep sea outpost for when you're messing around the lava zone, but it is a neat place to build.
    Crewman87 wrote: »
    There is a nice Thermal vent with plenty of flat area going from the Boneyard to the lava zone. I believe it is right after the tree heading from the boneyard entrance. I have built a small base here and manage to stay relatively safe. I would recommend a PRAWN suit before attempting this cave. It also doesn't serve much purpose other than a deep sea outpost for when you're messing around the lava zone, but it is a neat place to build.
    Right before you come to the tree, there is a plateau with three vents perfect for a forward base, that does not go below 900m, so it's perfectly save for a maximum depth Seamoth. While the area at and beyond the tree is around or below 900m. And you have the Precursor base right next door.
    @Fathom I believe that is the one I was thinking of, but you did a much better job explaining the location haha.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    I have a gigantic creative mode base in the tree cove - I'll post pictures soon.
  • lucashc90lucashc90 Brazil Join Date: 2017-01-05 Member: 226176Members
    edited February 2017
    There is a green cave in the kelp forest on the way to the array island, near lifepod 3 and it even has a thermal vent nearby (in the strip of shallow land between both kelp forests). The cave is full of silver and mesmers. It is a very tight space cave system, byt there is plenty of room for 3 or more multipurpose rooms and resources are plentiful around it (just watch out for the mesmers while building there).
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    lucashc90 wrote: »
    There is a green cave in the kelp forest on the way to the array island, near lifepod 3 and it even has a thermal vent nearby (in the strip of shallow land between both kelp forests). The cave is full of silver and mesmers. It is a very tight space cave system, byt there is plenty of room for 3 or more multipurpose rooms and resources are plentiful around it (just watch out for the mesmers while building there).

Mesmer Cave Base, lol. I've got a stack of like 8+ MP & ACUs in that cave on one of my saves, it's pretty cool.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    The Precursor Gun's Moon Pool is big enough to build a base if you don't mind building a linear base. Of course, you have to start the base from outside the Precursor Gun.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    starkaos wrote: »
    The Precursor Gun's Moon Pool is big enough to build a base if you don't mind building a linear base. Of course, you have to start the base from outside the Precursor Gun.

I thought that too...having the Precurser-Moonpool as a kind of Cyclops Dock would be nice. I guess the Warpers and Reapers could be a little bit troubleing there but it would still be cool. :smiley:

Do the Ion-Crystals respawn once you picked them up? If so you could "farm" them every now and then from a base like this.
    starkaos wrote: »
    Tried that out quick on creative. You can place a Moonpool directly next to the entrance and build your base from there out.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    My impression is that you can build bases on some of the flatter parts of the interior of the precursor base (after the most recent patch). I'll post some pictures.
    The holy grail: A multipurpose room inside a small cave (eastern mushroom zone):
    b36i6il5rrzi.jpg
    kddrtp00lieu.jpg

A multipurpose room inside a large coral tube:
    p6v2dzhc1znq.jpg
    4kc1fnagxai4.jpg

A small base inside the skull cave:
    2lnw9zq2831b.jpg
    lyio4ulotc23.jpg

A base half-in one of the most dangerous cave systems (note: One could easily remove the upper part of the base if one is willing to go without the multipurpose room and to use a reinforced dive suit for protection).
    bqxli0fn86km.jpg
    gpynb8g21bn7.jpg
    hzhbk4h14bs8.jpg

Is this Mesmer cave?
    z4kldl7w3t38.jpg
    pu7rbsy85gp8.jpg
    7eqo8c6tkc5v.jpg
    mcrs4uucwc07.jpg

Is this the mountain cave base?
    ngj4i3qmsr5f.jpg

Inside the precursor base... (now a possibility):
    1a54d1m2f7fz.jpg
    0rgw04o1m146.jpg
    d8g3oyquewnr.jpg
    wjqsaygcxddb.jpg
    Note quite a cave base, but a canyon base with caves:
    d3pjyblcakxh.jpg
    exwowcdzllrq.jpg

Lost River also allows some substantial canyon bases, some of which snake under arches of stone and have roofs of brine (kindof making them cave bases).
    rdibw4bbjoqx.jpg
    gtpiqz7x4lvd.jpg
    5wy57hbcrctq.jpg
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    I think the Mountains cave they're referring to is a different one. It's got a thermal vent directly outside the opening, and a singular entrance rather than two side by side. Deep within there's a circular 'room' with a single thermal vent in the center.

Some pretty cool bases there, quite inspiring :)
    From Sweden - looks familiar? AAEAAQAAAAAAAAj1AAAAJDE3OTk1OTBlLWEwYWItNDU4My1iYTUwLTg0MjAwZTMxMmY4MA.jpg

Anyway, a quick update: I've confirmed that a base can be built inside the largest of the floating islands (complete with a multipurpose room).
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    This is easy! I'll just whip out my trusty terraformer and...

...damn it.

...damn it.

Exactly! A whole new challenge :)

...damn it.
    item 514

• Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    edited March 2017

...damn it.

Rekt :D
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    edited March 2017
    Avimimus wrote: »
    From Sweden - looks familiar? AAEAAQAAAAAAAAj1AAAAJDE3OTk1OTBlLWEwYWItNDU4My1iYTUwLTg0MjAwZTMxMmY4MA.jpg

DAY-UMN... What is that place?
  • BossblasterBossblaster None Join Date: 2017-02-17 Member: 228004Members

...damn it.

I miss that so much

...damn it.

I miss that so much
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

...damn it.
    item 514

Phoenix223 wrote: »

Apparently Julian Assange's lair.
  • nocommonsensenocommonsense Join Date: 2016-08-16 Member: 221427Members
    I've built MPRs inside the precursor caches. The doors to the caches are just wide enough to allow the cylinder section to be built through them.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Phoenix223 wrote: »

Ernst Stavro Blofeld's rec room, I think. Before Bond trashed it.