Game crashes when entering water.

DrWhiteouTDrWhiteouT USA,UT Join Date: 2017-02-20 Member: 228085Members
I bought this game for my son to play on his PC but the game keeps crashing every time he enters the water.
This happens in all game modes, he is able to play with no issues at all unless he gets in the water. He was even able to craft something to be on top of the water and go to the wreckage however the game did not crash so my only thought is there is an issue with being in the water. I do not have a save file to share as he never saved the game during any of this.

His PC info:
AMD Phenom II x4 B50 (3 cores at 3.4 GHz)
8G RAM
AMD Radeon HD 5770 1G RAM
Windows 10 64Bit

Game build is Jan-17 43604

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Have you tried lowering the detail and water settings to minimum? You've only got 1GB of video RAM, it might be running out when it tries to load the textures under the water.
  • DrWhiteouTDrWhiteouT USA,UT Join Date: 2017-02-20 Member: 228085Members
    The graphics are on minimum and water settings are medium (lowest it goes).
    Try verifying the integrity of the Subnautica files in Steam (right-click, properties, local files, verify integrity IIRC)
    I did, it had 1 missing file and reacquired it. It had the same issues so I hit the trouble shoot option and hit the trouble shoot guide which immediately closed out the game and deleted the .exe. I again verified the integrity to get the .exe back and it would not download because the content was locked. This pissed me off so I reinstalled the game and it had the same issues still so I again checked the cache and needed 3 files to be reacquired. Once I downloaded them it still happened, even if his head never goes into the water (jumping in from the top of the craft) it lags out and crashes.
    edited February 2017
    Hmm. Try running a chkdsk (links in my signature if you need directions) on the drive where Subnautica is installed. Once that's done, uninstall the game, go to the folder where the game was ( \Program files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ ) and be sure the Subnautica folder is removed. Then re-install.

If you had any saved games, (I know your son didn't but I 'unno, maybe you like it as well? Probably at least not yet with this bug, anyways) first move the folder \steamapps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames to, say , your Desktop. After re-install, move it back.
    Chkdsk did not find any issues with the hard drive. I will completely remove the game directory and reinstall. I will post again once the install is finished.

As for me having any save files the answer is no, he has a different pc then I do so there is no worries on keeping save files.
    I'm a derp. I forgot to ask you to check if the graphics drivers are updated through Steam (in Steam, hit Steam > Check for video driver updates).

This may resolve the issue. Also, you should be sure Windows is up-to-date, but since you're on Windows 10, I'm assuming that's already the case.
    I decided to download the AMD Crimson program that detects your GPU and gives you the best driver for it. I have driver 16.50.2011 and it recommends 15.7.1. I will install the recommended driver if the game still has issues after the install (5 min from this post according to the steam download page).
    OK so here is the update with everything. Nothing has changed and I am tired of spending time on this blasted POS game. I spent the last 8 hours working on every fix I could find on the internet for issues with it crashing when you enter the water. I have no idea why my sons PC that is almost at the recommended settings cannot play the game at the minimum settings.
    Nice, just did the verify cache and 4 files failed. 2.1GB of data to re-download holy crap this is pathetic.
    edited February 2017
    DrWhiteouT wrote: »
    Nice, just did the verify cache and 4 files failed. 2.1GB of data to re-download holy crap this is pathetic.

This is telling me either:

1) you have corruption in your data when downloading, be that due to the network adapter on the PC, your router, your modem, or your ISP connection.
    2) your hard drive is failing (not likely as chkdsk found no problems, but still possible, if the system is extremely slow at certain times while loading Windows, that would increase the possibility of it being the hard drive)
    3) your system memory (RAM) is failing
    4) Steam's servers have a problem and are transmitting corrupted data (not likely, but possible, especially given that they have multiple copies on their servers at different locations to increase download speed, so maybe only the server closest to you has an issue with its copy of those files)
    5) The game files on the server were corrupted when uploaded (impossible, as no one else that is playing on that version has this bug)

Your graphics card (even if underpowered) would not be causing failure on verifying cache.

If you want I can try to help you figure out exactly what the problem is. (It can't really be Subnautica as Subnautica isn't loaded when you ask Steam to verify the integrity of the files.)
    1. If this was the case it wouldn't have downloaded properly on my PC.
    2. The hard drive is fairly new and only has Steam installed on it, plus the chkdsk didn't show anything and the CDI says it's good too.
    3. Is there a way to test the RAM? It is older RAM passed down from a few older systems.
    4. Again if this was the issue the download would have been bad on my PC as well but it downloaded just fine on my PC last night and my son was able to play just fine. However the devs have even said that there is a few times that their game gets ruined by the Steam downloader so I will attempt again today.
    5. Agreed that it is not likely possible.

I am all for all the help I can get, I posted this on Reddit and all I got was 1 guy giving me the basics as if he never read this thread and some dumb ass just typing HAHAHAHA because that person is most likely a child and doesn't know what working for a living is like.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    Not much I can do to help, but I'd like to say that this game is in early alpha, and bugs like these may be fixed in later updates.
    DrWhiteouT wrote: »
    3. Is there a way to test the RAM? It is older RAM passed down from a few older systems.

Get the "full v4.61 ISO" download: (use the browser download option)

https://falconfour.wordpress.com/2013/08/08/falconfours-ultimate-boot-cd-v4-61-patch/

Download Rufus, and use it to make a bootable USB flash drive from the ISO. Or, burn the ISO to CD using whatever you like (ImgBurn is a good free one if you don't have your own preferred burning solution).

Boot up FalconFour's and choose the memtest86+ option, let it run through a full cycle. (there's like between 8 and 13 different tests in a complete pass, look at the pass% to see progress)

Any red errors that show up while testing are bad news.
  • LightningAstroLightningAstro Join Date: 2017-02-25 Member: 228232Members
    Ah I had this problem on my very old computer I eventually found a fix.

If you own the game on steam Open steam and right click on subnautica. Go to Properties and Set Launch options and input this code: -force-d3d9
    Exactly like that It fixed my problem when I needed it.

Hope this helps!