Camera Drones - What's The Point?

MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
KK, so I have made my vary first scanner room and have been testing out the drones. BUT!! They only have a range of 500m? What's the point? If I have to build a scanner room in any region that I want to use the drones to explore, then I may as well swim to the area and explore it myself.

The range of the drones really needs to increase dramatically. At the moment they are absolutely useless.

Comments

• EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Yep. They would make far more sense on the Cyclops than the scanner room.
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    I think they mentioned they want to increase it's range, but have some issue with it at the moment. Last I knew they plan to make it a viable component to the game before launch.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    They could make the drones upgradable in the modification station for more range or speed.
  • rolandtigerfishrolandtigerfish Join Date: 2017-01-25 Member: 227248Members
    edited February 2017
    Avimimus wrote: »
    If the drones could 1) Increase the scan range or 2) act as beacons or 3) pick up one item... then they might have some use.

My only attempt to use a drone to locate resources led me to cost me more time as a result of difficulty finding where the drone was and swimming to it.

Soooo true. I spent more time trying to find where I parked the drone than the drone survey. The point of a done is to survale an area that's too dangerous and physically come back when it's safer.

I upgraded the range to max made a HUD chip and tried to stack the range increase chips.
    They did not stack. The HUD chip only highlighted resources and not the drone.

I built another scanner room at the outside edge of the drones range to see if it could be bounced... Nope.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Avimimus wrote: »
    My only attempt to use a drone to locate resources led me to cost me more time as a result of difficulty finding where the drone was and swimming to it.

Why bother with using a drone to locate resources. The Scanner Room HUD chip allows you to see any resource that is nearby. Build enough Scanner Rooms and you can see all the nearby resources at the same time. In fact, you can even use the Scanner Room to search for fragments. So build a temporary base near a wreck with a Power Supply and Scanner Room and the location of every single fragment in that wreck is shown.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    Does the scanner room still display "ghost positions" of ressources that you already picked up? The last time I used it (which was about 6 months ago) it displayed "empty" positions and kept on showing them even after a rescan of the area. That made the Scanner room almost useless to me and I havn't build it since.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Does the scanner room still display "ghost positions" of ressources that you already picked up? The last time I used it (which was about 6 months ago) it displayed "empty" positions and kept on showing them even after a rescan of the area. That made the Scanner room almost useless to me and I havn't build it since.

Probably showing multiple copies that are duplicated and just not rendering but still costing resources. (No I don't know if that's happening. But it would explain why clearing CellsCache clears up stuttering and crashing.)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2017
    The funny thing is, we've got some modders who can make consumer quadcopters go out to around 10Km with ease... So in this future world we've got them things, which cannot even go past the default range of ~300-500m that even most basic quadcopters can reach? It's a small world :trollface:

I see, this is some darn interference from those dastardly Precursors
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Not a use-use, but atm the wildlife (minus stalkers) doesn't attack camera drones. So they're useful if you want to make a few nice shots for the picture frame.

I don't know if this will be something that stays, but I wouldn't mind if not and a cameo module is introduced to accommodate an observation mode.
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    The funny thing is, we've got some modders who can make consumer quadcopters go out to around 10Km with ease... So in this future world we've got them things, which cannot even go past the default range of ~300-500m that even most basic quadcopters can reach? It's a small world :trollface:

Water blocks radio signals a lot more than air.
  • v497_vesperv497_vesper Join Date: 2016-08-21 Member: 221558Members
    Fathom wrote: »

So does Stone and Brick, Radio Waves are among the weakest waves in the electromagnetic spectrum
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_spectrum
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

I know, but I would also assume they'd use something different in scifi land :tongue:
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    The whole scanner room discussion is a bit strange, as most of the issues are really old and made the scanner room sort of an abandoned use item for most players and a reason why the devs are reworking it. Due to engine problems with the map range this task was shifted until now. But I think it's too early to complain as the implementation of the scanner room v2 shouldn't be finished by now.

The type of use discussion is something different. Like asking if it wouldn't be better to get this scanning into the cyclops. If a scanner room equipment would be inside the Cyclops, the range limit would be no problem at all. Drive to a location and scan and send out drones. But the time it takes to establish a temporary base for local scanning is too much and no fun at all with those limited ranges and the devs are forced to increase the ranges if they want to make the players actually use the scanner room and be happy about it.

So a comparison:
    • Cyclops use: limit of 100m scanning and 500m drones is more than enough and could even be less range and still be more fun
    • Base use: probably needs 500m scanning and 1000m drone range at least to compensate the long setup time and you'd always wish for more

So low range scanning would be awesome for the Cyclops and make that slow submarine far more useful, while bases absolutely need far range scanning and drone ranges.

Maybe the devs think about the idea of an increased fun and usage for the Cyclops if it could integrate drones and scanning. I doubt players will like to be forced to a tedious setup of a network of small minibases for the scanner rooms. Or forced to do it like nomads with their tents.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members

I know, but I would also assume they'd use something different in scifi land :tongue:

Unless you're going to go full Trek, though, you have problems.

Water is notoriously...difficult (I'd use a stronger word) when it comes to any kind of transmission save one: acoustic. It'll transmit sound better than any other medium, but when dealing with any other type of transmission, it's a real bear. Light scatters quickly, so lasers are out. Radio waves lose power quickly due to molecular interaction, so they have an extremely short range. It's why modern subs use radio buoys to communicate and why we went to all the trouble to develop ELF communications; water sucks for technology, and not just when you drop your iPhone in the toilet. And upping the signal power doesn't help, either; for a tiny bit of depth penetration, you get much more distortion. Bad trade.

The problem with acoustic is that it has to be one-way. If you tried broadcasting instructions to your drone while simultaneously trying to receive data from it, you're going to get neither; the waves interact, constructive and destructive interference occurs, and you're left with a mash of sound that means nothing.

Short of saying "it uses a subspace radio" or "quantum entanglement communicators" (which would probably be the size of a truck, making them quite unsuitable for those little soccer ball drones), short-range is the most realistic.

That said...yeah, I was pretty disappointed in those drones, too. :/
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    zetachron wrote: »
    • Cyclops use: limit of 100m scanning and 500m drones is more than enough and could even be less range and still be more fun
    • Base use: probably needs 500m scanning and 1000m drone range at least to compensate the long setup time and you'd always wish for more

So low range scanning would be awesome for the Cyclops and make that slow submarine far more useful, while bases absolutely need far range scanning and drone ranges.

Yes, I like that idea. :smile:
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members

More likely it just needs to track the player position, AND track the drone position. If the drone goes too far, suddenly the player is in un-loaded territory, and would need a delay or loading screen to bring the world back in around the player.

And if it needs to put camera views from the drone on the wall, and the drone is in territory without the terrain loaded, it will probably look wonky.
  • Carl_BarCarl_Bar Join Date: 2017-02-03 Member: 227560Members
    According to the Experimental build logs they're currently messing with it (scanner room), ATM.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    The ranges of the new scanner room in the latest experimental 44779 now are:

300m for resource scanning
    500m for camera drones

unknown if this will get expanded with range upgrade chips

My opinion:
    It's getting already powerful enough. Tested with 300m range with the cameras that perfectly work up to that range. If the player needs a certain resource very much this will help him greatly! I think a big base set up permenantly might not find it very useful unless scanning includes incoming creatures that attack the base. But a few strategic harvesting bases might work with it.

The negative:
    I can't think of much players that want to set up much mini scanning bases for harvesting like nomads set up tents. The process is still tedious and not much rewarding, so not so much fun.

Suggestions:
    • Turning a base into a custom blueprint by scanning and deconstructing it into some matter block would allow to set up complete bases that were already constructed again and again. Bases might be even tradable as blueprints in a workshop. Bringing fun into quickly and repeatedly setting up bases.
    • Allowing a small mobile Cyclops version of the scanner room would make it fun to scan for resources too. The Cyclops would get far more useful.

But all in all the new range extension now at least makes the scanner room useful again.

Some annoyances / bugs / suggestions for the cam drones:
    • the cam drone collision boxes seem a bit too big
    • cam drones have health but still don't get attacked by creatures exept the ones like the stalker
    • cam drones should be vulnerable to electrical attacks like the Ampeel or Crabsquid that should 1 hit destroy them
    • a bit more range maybe (500m with good signal and ending at 800m)
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    I just wanna use a camera drone from my Cyclops!

Unless you're going to go full Trek, though, you have problems.

Water is notoriously...difficult (I'd use a stronger word) when it comes to any kind of transmission save one: acoustic. It'll transmit sound better than any other medium, but when dealing with any other type of transmission, it's a real bear. Light scatters quickly, so lasers are out. Radio waves lose power quickly due to molecular interaction, so they have an extremely short range. It's why modern subs use radio buoys to communicate and why we went to all the trouble to develop ELF communications; water sucks for technology, and not just when you drop your iPhone in the toilet. And upping the signal power doesn't help, either; for a tiny bit of depth penetration, you get much more distortion. Bad trade.

The problem with acoustic is that it has to be one-way. If you tried broadcasting instructions to your drone while simultaneously trying to receive data from it, you're going to get neither; the waves interact, constructive and destructive interference occurs, and you're left with a mash of sound that means nothing.

Short of saying "it uses a subspace radio" or "quantum entanglement communicators" (which would probably be the size of a truck, making them quite unsuitable for those little soccer ball drones), short-range is the most realistic.

That said...yeah, I was pretty disappointed in those drones, too. :/

Well, if you can teleport large objects over large distances with phasegates and teleporters, the obvious solution is to open a micro phasegate internally and teleport the 2-way signal to and from the receptor.
    I have had an idea:

Perhaps the drones can act as relays for each other. So, you could take one drone out to the limit of its 500m range and then it would act as a relay station for a second drone who could then use the first drone as its signal booster and allow it to go another 500m, so you get a 1000m range in effect with the second drone. You could then add a third drone and a fourth, and so on. Eventually you could over many places covered with the drone CCTV.

Or, alternatively. perhaps the devs could create relay transmitters that can be 'planted' and they act as a relay to extend the signal range of the drones.
    Do drones have a beacon yet? If not, they need one, so they work as markers for interesting locations you have discovered.
    Do drones have a beacon yet? If not, they need one, so they work as markers for interesting locations you have discovered.

Yes they do in experimental
    edited February 2017
    Cooool Now if only they, (drones), had a built in scanner. So you could actually scan stuff with them. Would make the room super useful in some locales.
    Myrm wrote: »
    I have had an idea:

Perhaps the drones can act as relays for each other. So, you could take one drone out to the limit of its 500m range and then it would act as a relay station for a second drone who could then use the first drone as its signal booster and allow it to go another 500m, so you get a 1000m range in effect with the second drone. You could then add a third drone and a fourth, and so on. Eventually you could over many places covered with the drone CCTV.

Or, alternatively. perhaps the devs could create relay transmitters that can be 'planted' and they act as a relay to extend the signal range of the drones.

You'd want to set the repeater at full signal strength distance, if you wanted to be realistic (just like a wifi extender - you want it at the edge of where you're still getting full signal). Otherwise, you'd barely get anything at all. (Yes, I know this from personal experience. Repeaters (this was just one) at the edge of available signal barely function at all, and only when the weather's nice, lol.)
    edited February 2017
    Okayu had a play.Wow the amoutn of stuff you miss without it. Dang this is actually worth a lot now. With full range upgrades you can scan past 500m :open_mouth:.

Only issue seems to be increased odds of large deposit resources falling through the world when you drill them, and a few resource normal nodes spawning in walls. Then again they may have been like that before and we just never noticed.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    You'd want to set the repeater at full signal strength distance, if you wanted to be realistic (just like a wifi extender - you want it at the edge of where you're still getting full signal). Otherwise, you'd barely get anything at all. (Yes, I know this from personal experience. Repeaters (this was just one) at the edge of available signal barely function at all, and only when the weather's nice, lol.)

Stop being such a nerd! :D

Myrm wrote: »
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

Stop being such a nerd! :D

Please see the last link in my signature.