ns2_tanith

12346»

Comments

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited August 2013
    Mendasp wrote: »
    To elaborate a bit I'm quitting NS2 entirely, but I'm still debating what to do with my other mods (Custom HUD, Spawns/Lights, NSL maps)...

Sorry to hear that.. but before you go atrium could really use some plants :bz

Good luck with what you continue to do!
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • JonacrabJonacrab Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18705Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    I will be dabbling in working on this map. I cant guarantee I wont lose interest along the way, and because I am an official mapper I have other responsibilities, and so this will only be done in my free time. So if others have interest in finishing it, I would encourage it. If I get far enough along I will start posting new versions to the workshop.
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Jonacrab wrote: »
    I will be dabbling in working on this map. I cant guarantee I wont lose interest along the way, and because I am an official mapper I have other responsibilities, and so this will only be done in my free time. So if others have interest in finishing it, I would encourage it. If I get far enough along I will start posting new versions to the workshop.

I have studied the layout quite a bit and thought about it for ns2, if you need any feedback please don't hesitate to contact me. The map does need some changes so it will work for ns2.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I briefly considered taking over Tanith when Mendasp posted he was stopping (still :'(), but like Grissi said, it needs some (imho big) changes to make it work properly for NS2, so I promptly decided against taking it on. (And my current projects already require enough of my attention, of course.)

That and I'm still stuck in the hospital, so I couldn't actually work on it at the moment anyway. :D
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    How about you work on caged Flaterslave.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Jekt wrote: »
    :D

I wish that I could right now. All these sketches of layout fixes and detailed portions of rooms/corridors in my notebook, but no access to the Spark Editor. :( I've been in the hospital for 6 1/2 weeks now, and my NS2 withdrawl symptoms aren't getting any less. *foams at the mouth*
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    pfft you should mapping in the hospital
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer

I wish that I could right now. All these sketches of layout fixes and detailed portions of rooms/corridors in my notebook, but no access to the Spark Editor. :( I've been in the hospital for 6 1/2 weeks now, and my NS2 withdrawl symptoms aren't getting any less. *foams at the mouth*
    Pfft, you will never win this race at this rate man.
    Lokee wrote: »
    pfft you should mapping in the hospital
    Unless UWE releases NS2 for Android, which is what runs on this tablet, I don't see that happening. :P
    Mendasp wrote: »

Pfft, you will never win this race at this rate man.
    I weel nevar be a weener? No :'(
  • JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
    edited August 2013
    ...Android...

1. Mapping on a fast PC with a mouse for 24,99$... ok
    2. See Flaterectomy mapping with a 2 finger-touchscreen on a slow tablet with the "superb customer-friendly" Spark Editor... and finally raging... unpayable :P
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
  • JonacrabJonacrab Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18705Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Added a new workshop section "NS2_tanith" with an updated and fixed version of this map. Should be a big improvement over the last version.

Changelog:

-Retextured and relit all the greybox areas with something more along the lines of where the art should be headed, but just a basic pass
    -Added a corridor from storage access to Central Access in the north part, to help aliens if they start in waste hive, to be able to expand to the cargo resource node.
    -Removed vent into Sat Comm
    -Adjusted vent from Central Access to waste so that marines cant easily access it
    -Adjusted all resource nodes so that aliens and marines can move around a built extractor
    -Removed the path from External Satellite Relay to Chemical that was a weldable entrance in NS1
    -Modified the east corridor coming out of Fusion Reactor to try and help with cargo being a huge camping point for marines
    -Modified the pool in Reactor Room so that onos cant get stuck
    -Added a Stairway in Reactor Room to make it more alien friendly
    -Commander invisible issues, power nodes, and location boxes should all work correctly.

This version is for testing, I would like the map to stay as close to the original as possible, even if it is not ideal for ns2. Ns2's ideal map layout almost always end up very similar to summit, so if you suggest anything along those lines, ill probably ignore it :P Im attempting to create a different map that is still fun to play on, so keep the suggestions along those lines.

I wont be moving forward with any major visual changes until I am satisfied with the balance of the current layout. So if there are any gamebreaking bugs or designs in the current version I will be updating with those changes as they are found.

• WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    *Does the crab dance*
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Glad you don't want to change the layout much. ns2_sumith no thanks.

reactor room water : D
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Agreed, I play NS2, not Dota 2.

I think that cargo will need to be smaller in the future of this because it is not accessible for fades in NS2 like it was in NS1. Those guys get shot the f up in there now. That's the only layout change I'd really suggest and it isn't based off alot of testing, just a little.

Chem Trans, how can we work it so that marines don't have a ridiculous time getting up those ladders? NS2 Ladders aren't really used anywhere important like that anywhere else.

Until there is water available, please add a ladder to double so one can get in the vent to chem trans, that's obviously supposed to be accessible.

I'll be trying to play this more now that I know there's work being done on it again. Gunna convince some tanith pugs to happen.
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Not had the chance to open up the new map yet, any chance anyone could post a minimap / screenshots? Would be very thankful :).
  • ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Its good to see this project revived once more! I look forward to playing a few games on the new build. I had a run around it earlier and its certainly got some nice rooms.
    The only issues I can point out atm is External satellite relay is a bit bendy and uplink command feels a bit removed from the maps outer ring (summit-it-up :P ). Also I think the most northern vent is a little OP. Maybe break it up? I haven't test this latest build yet, so that's me just assuming stuff. So probably best to ignore me atm.
    I never played the original, what made it so good?
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    According to what you posted this could very well be a candidate for the season map pool! Would need some testing for pathing and other bugs that could occur. But it definitely seems viable, great job Jona!
    I'm a bit curious as to why you removed the vent to Sattelite. Care to share?
    Grissi and I talked about it, just seems OP. Mostly because its right above the RT, marines need a tech point to hold and satellite in a lot of cases will probably be the one they have to hold, so having a vent above the RT and tech point seems off. But if there is some consensus that its not going to be OP I can add it back in.
    Update:
    -comm wont get stuck on exit from sat comm hive
    -fixed pathing so drifters should be able to build hive in waste
    -fixed a stuck spot in a vent

let me know if any of these fixes don't work, or of any new issues
  • AichmanAichman Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22782Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I don't have the images right now since i'm working but in the vent that goes from satellite to acidic processing, as you arrive to the 90º turn, look at your left and up, you will see a hole in the geometry of the wall just on top of the pipe that goes though the vent.

I'll post the images as soon i get home.
  • ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well, from SCC's previous experiences on Tanith, that vent in Satellite Command was certainly a great annoyance for marines and played out pretty much as you have surmised.

We played a game last night and there are a couple of issues that I can remember:

- A Satellite Hive doesn't have enough room on that upper platform to spawn eggs correctly, either destroying eggs or spawning them right at the entrances.
    - Fusion Reactor has a small 'lip' that surrounds the techpoint that spawning aliens can get stuck in.

We did find that Uplink Command is a very turtle friendly room, especially once marines have exos.
  • Mr MoeMr Moe Join Date: 2009-12-17 Member: 69696Members
    I just can't wait to see the finished Sat-Com. Maybe a custom Model?
    Man this brings up memories xD
  • IronmanIronman Join Date: 2012-03-22 Member: 149184Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I always liked tanith because it has 3 paths to get out of marine base. and the vents were great for aliens, plus you could drop structures inside to help push a hive. How much time does it make to create a polished map like ns2 caged, or ns2 eclipse.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Ironman wrote: »
    I always liked tanith because it has 3 paths to get out of marine base. and the vents were great for aliens, plus you could drop structures inside to help push a hive. How much time does it make to create a polished map like ns2 caged, or ns2 eclipse.
    The problem with 3 exits out of marine base is it's less about how many exits for marines there are, but more about how many entrances there are for aliens that marines now have to defend, which means fewer marines out on the field, attacking elsewhere.

From greybox to final polish, each ns2 map takes anywhere from 6 months to 2 years to complete... depending on how many people are working on it at a time.