Large Silver Deposits in the Dunes now dropping LEAD? 43700

ANGRYABOUTELVESANGRYABOUTELVES WITHIN AND BEYOND ALL THRESHOLDS Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207174Members
I sure hope this is a bug, because this is not okay. The only reason you'd need this much lead is if you're running multiple nuclear reactors.

Comments

• RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Are you sure it's actually not a large lead node? large silver and lead deposits look nearly the same though lead is a bit darker.

Lead - latest?cb=20160905095249
    Silver- latest?cb=20160905095332

• ANGRYABOUTELVESANGRYABOUTELVES WITHIN AND BEYOND ALL THRESHOLDS Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207174Members
    edited January 2017
    I could have mixed them up, yes. I've never encountered a large lead node before this update, so I assumed they didn't exist. I'll go see if I can find a large silver node elsewhere.
  • ANGRYABOUTELVESANGRYABOUTELVES WITHIN AND BEYOND ALL THRESHOLDS Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207174Members
    edited January 2017
    The wiki lies. I've spend the last hour searching, and there is not a speck of silver in the jellyshroom caves. I can't get to the inactive lava zone to check if there's any there because I don't have the upgraded pressure compensators. I don't have the upgraded pressure compensators because I can't find any silver to make computer chips with.

Pre-update I wandered over to the Dunes one day and ran into two large silver deposits right next to each other. That was enough silver for me to get all the upgraded pressure compensators and some luxuries, like a Medkit fabricator for my Cyclops and a couple extra Power Cell Chargers. In my post-update new game I can't find a single large silver deposit anywhere, and I'm getting lead poisoning from going to the Dunes. I'm reasonably certain all the large silver deposits in the dunes got replaced by large lead deposits, and that is not fine.

Also, having large silver deposits and large lead deposits share the same model with a slight tint change is like the worst sort of cruel joke. "Haha, you thought it was something useful, but it was actually garbage!" Whoever decided that one of the least useful resources should look almost exactly like the rarest and most useful resource in the game either didn't think that decision through, or they're a sadist.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    The wiki lies. I've spend the last hour searching, and there is not a speck of silver in the jellyshroom caves. I can't get to the inactive lava zone to check if there's any there because I don't have the upgraded pressure compensators. I don't have the upgraded pressure compensators because I can't find any silver to make computer chips with.

Pre-update I wandered over to the Dunes one day and ran into two large silver deposits right next to each other. That was enough silver for me to get all the upgraded pressure compensators and some luxuries, like a Medkit fabricator for my Cyclops and a couple extra Power Cell Chargers. In my post-update new game I can't find a single large silver deposit anywhere, and I'm getting lead poisoning from going to the Dunes. I'm reasonably certain all the large silver deposits in the dunes got replaced by large lead deposits, and that is not fine.

Also, having large silver deposits and large lead deposits share the same model with a slight tint change is like the worst sort of cruel joke. "Haha, you thought it was something useful, but it was actually garbage!" Whoever decided that one of the least useful resources should look almost exactly like the rarest and most useful resource in the game either didn't think that decision through, or they're a sadist.

Have you reset your cache since updating? Whenever there's an update, it's always a good idea to reset it, as sometimes stuff gets scrambled, or not updated. Delete CellsCache and CompiledOctreesCache from \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames\slot00xx where xx is the number of your saved game.
    edited January 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Have you reset your cache since updating? Whenever there's an update, it's always a good idea to reset it, as sometimes stuff gets scrambled, or not updated. Delete CellsCache and CompiledOctreesCache from \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames\slot00xx where xx is the number of your saved game.
    I did one better; I started an entirely new game. I also said so in the post you quoted.
    In my post-update new game I can't find a single large silver deposit anywhere

Edit: I managed to scrounge up enough silver from the kelp forest to get a pressure compensator mk3 and headed down to the inactive lava zone. The only large resource deposits I could find down there were kyanite. Some sandstone, in the passage to the main chamber, but no large silver deposits. Where exactly are they supposed to spawn? Has anyone found one in a post-update game?
  • SpectoneSpectone Join Date: 2017-01-05 Member: 226167Members
    Silver is in the dunes area, you need to go right out where the reapers are. I just mined a heap of it in (43777) after I cleaned the cache.
  • VoutareVoutare Join Date: 2017-01-27 Member: 227314Members
    The wiki lies. I've spend the last hour searching, and there is not a speck of silver in the jellyshroom caves.

The wiki can be wrong, but have you tried searching with the scanner?
    (I've just build the PRAWN in my new jan2017 game and I haven't searched for large silver resources yet)
    Directly the "silver" in the scanner seem to be the large resource deposits, where sandstone are the singular ones. (scanner looks to be WIP though)
    edited February 2017
    Spectone wrote: »
    Silver is in the dunes area, you need to go right out where the reapers are. I just mined a heap of it in (43777) after I cleaned the cache.
    I reset my cache every time I reboot the game and I am also in the experimental version. I still only find lead in the Dunes.

We are talking about the same Dunes, the ones on the starboard side of the Aurora? Or are there other Dunes I'm not looking in?
    Voutare wrote: »
    The wiki can be wrong, but have you tried searching with the scanner?
    (I've just build the PRAWN in my new jan2017 game and I haven't searched for large silver resources yet)
    Directly the "silver" in the scanner seem to be the large resource deposits, where sandstone are the singular ones. (scanner looks to be WIP though)
    I've never actually used the scanner room since I heard it had really low range, and it also requires a ton of computer chips. 2 to actually build it, up to 4 for the range upgrades, another for the HUD upgrade, however many more for extra camera drones that get destroyed... I don't have that much silver. Seems like the sort of thing you can only build after you find at least one large silver deposit.

Edit: I just cheated myself enough chips for a scanner room w/upgrades and it only scans, like, a 100 meter radius or so with full range upgrades. I'd have to build an entirely new base in the Dunes, power it, scrounge up enough silver for the scanner room, the range upgrades, the HUD thing, and then I'd have to tear it down and rebuild it every 70 meters or so for a proper grid search because it scans a circle. Not to mention the time spent waiting for it to actually scan things. The scanner room is just a way to waste silver getting camera drones stolen by stalkers right now, not a way to find more silver.
    edited February 2017
    Spectone wrote: »
    I reset my cache every time I reboot the game and I am also in the experimental version. I still only find lead in the Dunes.

We are talking about the same Dunes, the ones on the starboard side of the Aurora? Or are there other Dunes I'm not looking in?

That my friend is called the Crashzone, You are in the wrong place.

Grabbed a map and altered it slightly, where you are is the red, you need to be where the green circle is.

kdFE0uV.jpg
    Oh, thank you. I guess I'm just lost.
    No worries, sometimes it helps to have a visual aid ;)