Should the coffee machine be removed? yes or no?

2»

Comments

• TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited January 2017
    zetachron wrote: »
    Inclusion of a sleep necessity function into the game isn't really necessary, but would improve the game. Of course coffee would decrease sleep need and mesmer attacks make you more sleepy. Your vision starts to blur when you are 20% awake. Which makes the mesmer more dangerous as he tends to eat his asleep victims.

I've personally found it odd that we as survivors constantly need food and water to survive (who doesn't?) and yet there is no fatigue mechanic in place that requires sleep. My character has stayed awake for over 100 days since the Aurora crashed; he should either have been driven insane from the lack of REM sleep, or simply collapsed from exhaustion due to lack of energy.

Does Subnautica need a sleep mechanic for gameplay? Probably not, the game is fine as it is. But I think it would add another layer of survival management and realism to the game. They could do the sleep mechanic like how Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword handles time passage during sleep. Besides, both the Aurora and the abandoned bases have beds for the various crewmembers, so sleep appears to have been a necessity to them... so why not for us?
  • AzirphaeliAzirphaeli USA Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217144Members
    Why not just leave it as a decoration if they don't want it dispensing coffee..
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    zetachron wrote: »
    Inclusion of a sleep necessity function into the game isn't really necessary, but would improve the game. Of course coffee would decrease sleep need and mesmer attacks make you more sleepy. Your vision starts to blur when you are 20% awake. Which makes the mesmer more dangerous as he tends to eat his asleep victims.

I've personally found it odd that we as survivors constantly need food and water to survive (who doesn't?) and yet there is no fatigue mechanic in place that requires sleep. My character has stayed awake for over 100 days since the Aurora crashed; he should either have been driven insane from the lack of REM sleep, or simply collapsed from exhaustion due to lack of energy.

Does Subnautica need a sleep mechanic for gameplay? Probably not, the game is fine as it is. But I think it would add another layer of survival management and realism to the game. They could do the sleep mechanic like how Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword handles time passage during sleep. Besides, both the Aurora and the abandoned bases have beds for the various crewmembers, so sleep appears to have been a necessity to them... so why not for us?

Even if there is no fatigue, a sleep mechanic should exist for those players that are scared of going out in the dark.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    It's just a fun little thing to add to the immersion, right? I never saw it as anything more to begin with, the devs are allowed to have some fun with this. Give us sandwitches, too, I want to be able to make sandwitches on an actual lab counter by putting bread, my choice of fish or fruit, then another slice.

Sandwitches better be a thing.

They better.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Trash Cans could let us trash items forever instead of needing to deconstruct Lockers instead.

This exists!
    http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Trash_Can
  • HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    I meant to vote 'Yes' but I'm a goose.
    All of the above points of why it should stay are very good and I agree with them, however, I feel that if implementing it properly will take up a decent chunk of development time (in regards to their allocated programming time and deadlines) and causing them a few headaches, I'd much rather they remove it and used that time to implement other smaller, more useful features or further polish the game. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but I'd rather see that development time put into something like making the Cyclops more mother-ship-like or polishing the game. Just my own opinion on the topic, please let me know what you think in response to it if you don't agree.

Give items in game a reason to exist rather than debate on whether to take them out. I mean, why go through the trouble to design and model items to exist in the game world that have no practical use, then decide at the last minute to just discard them?

These models were shipped over from NS2 to fill in a few things for the Aurora and its scattered wrecks, hence why they don't like like the posh Alterra equipment. This was done (I think and am confident in saying so) to save design time for the modelling staff, the artists and programmers of the Unknown Worlds team. They are more just fillers rather than planned-to-be items and features in the game, therefore they wouldn't have wasted much time if they cut some of them, in fact, they may save time (in my eyes)
    My humble own opinions ^
    Regards,
    Hybrid
    Trash Cans could let us trash items forever instead of needing to deconstruct Lockers instead.

This exists!

But are they only available on Experimental Mode at the moment or are they on the Stable version?
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    starkaos wrote: »

This exists!

But are they only available on Experimental Mode at the moment or are they on the Stable version?

Experimental mode only, I think...
    HYBRID1313 wrote: »
    I meant to vote 'Yes' but I'm a goose.
    All of the above points of why it should stay are very good and I agree with them, however, I feel that if implementing it properly will take up a decent chunk of development time (in regards to their allocated programming time and deadlines) and causing them a few headaches, I'd much rather they remove it and used that time to implement other smaller, more useful features or further polish the game. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but I'd rather see that development time put into something like making the Cyclops more mother-ship-like or polishing the game. Just my own opinion on the topic, please let me know what you think in response to it if you don't agree.

Regards,
    Hybrid

Behold! One of the aforementioned people who don't agree!
    I think that your points are valid, that the developers should focus on polish or larger goals over implementing small decorations. However, I'm pretty sure a functional coffee machine would be so easy to put into the game. Just have it dispense water (renamed "coffee") that restores some of the H20 bar. Maybe even a little bit of the hunger bar if the devs are feeling crazy. Seriously, all this would require would be some renaming and creation of a few models (there are already even coffee cup models in the game, in the DGR degasi base). I'm no game developer, but I'm pretty sure this is not too much work. No convoluted bonuses from drinking coffee need to be implemented.
  • SpectoneSpectone Join Date: 2017-01-05 Member: 226167Members
    I'd rather have a non-functioning coffee machine than no coffee machine at all.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    @HYBRID1313

They can kick out the ugly vending machine if they want as it has no function too and the style doesn't even fit the game. But the coffee machine is perfect to fit in even functionless. A simple coffee item to spawn with a bit lowering thirst wouldn't be that complicated. Only a full blown sleep functionality would cost development time.
  • FrustratedFrustrated Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223643Members
    I didn't even know there is a coffee machine, damn. Will have to go look for it now.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Frustrated wrote: »
    I didn't even know there is a coffee machine, damn. Will have to go look for it now.

It's in one of the Abandoned Bases. Good luck.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    I've also seen it laying around by the outside of some wreckage.
    B)
  • OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
    Coffee Vending Machines now gives Coffee which gives+4 Water while Vending Machines give Snacks which gives +3 Food and -2 Water.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    But the model need work
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    But the model need work

Agreed. Like the vending machine just got.
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    If the animations are too much work then leave it as is. Don't know what it hurts to just leave in.
  • RamjetgunnerRamjetgunner Join Date: 2017-01-27 Member: 227310Members
    One thing that could be nice to try is to get rid of the vending/coffee machine and/or introduce a nutrient block/solution maker that would make the different quality blocks based on the (hidden) recipes. This would resolve some of the issues with the coffee maker and introduce new something new for old players. For example, it could have a 6x6 storage to input ingredients and you use 9 lantern fruit. After 1-2 minutes it would have 4 low grade nutrient blocks that have a value of +15 food and -8 water. The values and its usages of those blocks can be changed with updates. This would add to the foraging aspect by encouraging people in survival mode to take more risks in-order to find and create recipes based off all the materials found in-game. The machine can also be in fragments that are in the Aurora (the automated shelves could be a model for it).

But this is only this idea is only something that should be implemented when the game's story and original mechanics have been ironed. The trickle of neat peripherals is a welcome surprise for people who have been playing for a while and I do not mind that you can get water from it (i.e. coffee for that matter). As long as these simple additions do not cause the devs to waste too much of their time and focus on the mechanics of these cosmetic features. My suggestion would be a prime example it creates a brand new mechanic that would change the entire dynamic of the game, but to implement this the devs would have to overhaul the game and push back the deadlines other (possibly) more important updates and patches.