Immersion Idea: Fatigue option in survival

TheChefTheChef Michigan Join Date: 2016-12-23 Member: 225388Members
edited December 2016 in Subnautica on Consoles
As a former competitive swimmer, I can tell you that it is exhausting after a while. Considering the fact that Subnautica is an underwater based game, I don't feel like the playable character should be able to swim from one end of the map to the other and back, catch some fish, do crafting, and go on another 5 km swim without even taking a nap. I just feel there should be an option to enable fatigue in survival prior to starting a new game for immersion purposes. What do you think?

Edit: assume that the frame rate problem has been fixed in this scenario

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited December 2016
    Yes but not too much. I mean after a while, swimming would seem like walking if you did it all the time. So maybe make the effect taper off after a while, and then just have it be fine as long as you 'sleep' once in a while.
  • GRAW2ROBZGRAW2ROBZ Join Date: 2016-12-23 Member: 225373Members
    ARK has this. But I wouldn't like it cause I don't have any big vehicles to drive yet. Maybe in some hard core mode this be cool.
  • TitanismTitanism Join Date: 2016-12-24 Member: 225458Members
    I would welcome a fatigue setting and the ability to 'sleep' in the game to make things like battery/powercell charging go faster and change time of day quickly.
  • iknowaghostloliknowaghostlol lakewood, CO Join Date: 2017-01-07 Member: 226273Members
    i voted no , because they added this feature to fall out 4 and i didn't like it i think the food bar and water bar are enough and honestly i only see this happening if you could counter the fatigue with something maybe the bed (sleep) that you can craft or the coffee machine. (stimulant). and even then you have to keep in mind that this would just be another obstacle you have to work around to explore....but i like the fact that this feature would make the bed and coffee machine useful...but if this were to be implemented i would expand the player inventory space and make some buffs to the player in terms of hunger and hydration.

overall im split on this i wanna vote yes..but im afraid i might react to it the same way i reacted to fo4 survival.
    i voted no , because they added this feature to fall out 4 and i didn't like it i think the food bar and water bar are enough and honestly i only see this happening if you could counter the fatigue with something maybe the bed (sleep) that you can craft or the coffee machine. (stimulant). and even then you have to keep in mind that this would just be another obstacle you have to work around to explore....but i like the fact that this feature would make the bed and coffee machine useful...but if this were to be implemented i would expand the player inventory space and make some buffs to the player in terms of hunger and hydration.

overall im split on this i wanna vote yes..but im afraid i might react to it the same way i reacted to fo4 survival.

What if they made the effects non-lethal? Like just hallucinations if it's severe enough, and occasional micro-sleep otherwise?
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Call this the Kansas state legislature election of 1855, because I came from the neighboring state of Gen. Disc. to vote on this poll!

I think that conceptually, a fatigue option would be really nice and fit realistically into the world. However, I think that it might make survival unnecessarily hard. In my opinion, people don't need another stressor to worry about in the game. However, if it were to be implemented, I think something similar to what @0x6A7232 said would be the best way to go about it, with minimal effects that were annoying but non-lethal.
    Call this the Kansas state legislature election of 1855, because I came from the neighboring state of Gen. Disc. to vote on this poll!

I think that conceptually, a fatigue option would be really nice and fit realistically into the world. However, I think that it might make survival unnecessarily hard. In my opinion, people don't need another stressor to worry about in the game. However, if it were to be implemented, I think something similar to what @0x6A7232 said would be the best way to go about it, with minimal effects that were annoying but non-lethal.

Oh, those effects aren't lethal in and of themselves, but they could contribute quite nicely. Hallucinating about a Reaper, then all of a sudden a real one has you. A burst of micro-sleep right before a bleeder gets you (that's more of a jump scare though, not too lethal), or next to a Gasopod cloud or Drooping Stinger... It could get pretty interesting. xD