Multiplayer

davey10davey10 Join Date: 2017-01-09 Member: 226427Members
I haven't purchased the game yet because I don't know if multiplayer is in subnautica.

Do they have multiplayer?

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    davey10 wrote: »
    I haven't purchased the game yet because I don't know if multiplayer is in subnautica.

There's literally a post four down called "Multiplayer in Subnautica?". Not to mention the sticky. No, there's no multiplayer, nor will SN ever have multiplayer.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »

There's literally a post four down called "Multiplayer in Subnautica?". Not to mention the sticky. No, there's no multiplayer, nor will SN ever have multiplayer.

For launch, Subnautica won't have multiplayer. However, no one knows if it won't have multiplayer 5 years from now. All we know is that the devs claim it will take many man-years of work for multiplayer to be implemented.
  • davey10davey10 Join Date: 2017-01-09 Member: 226427Members
    starkaos wrote: »

For launch, Subnautica won't have multiplayer. However, no one knows if it won't have multiplayer 5 years from now. All we know is that the devs claim it will take many man-years of work for multiplayer to be implemented.

I knew that this game was sketchy. Luckily I check first before spending my money on a game that doesn't even have multiplayer.

Thanks for warning me goodbye.
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    If he wanted multiplayer he should of played subnautica on roblox
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Some people have no taste. They don't realize that great games don't need multiplayer. The only games that need multiplayer are MMOs, MOBAs, Call of Duty, and other games that require a human opponent.

Ikr. And games that only have multiplayer suffer the fate of being criticised by people who like singleplayer more beacuse they don't have good internet for example. Take Titanfall for instance. The first game was alright, but I got a bit of hate because there was absolutely no singleplayer campaign. It's a good thing that the devs added this one thing in Titanfall 2.
  • Xxcookid123xXXxcookid123xX USA Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224587Members

Or we also know they said in a sticky thread there will never be multiplayer. Lol.

Or we also know they said in a sticky thread there will never be multiplayer. Lol.

In all fairness, Cory Strader has said on Discord a day or two ago that mp still is somewhat a possibility. A very, very, very low one in a way that it's right the devs flatout deny it, but still a possibility. Although, and not to be a Strader hater, but just sometimes I get some Molyneux Lite vibes from all the things he says are still possible.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Don't let the door hit you on your way out!
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited January 2017
    It's also "still possible" that They will announce tomorrow that They are going to create a Subnautica II with a Multiplayer option...

But the actual likelihood that it happens, is about as great as Donald Trump voluntarily stepping down as the President.

> eyeroll <
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    People ain't got no time for that when on a mission to post their ideas :D
    I think from now on these Forums should be the only place considered to play SUBNAUTICA as a Multi-player game.

B)
  • TheRelmLordTheRelmLord The Void Join Date: 2017-01-04 Member: 226060Members
    Where Is The Declining Yarny? He Seems To Have Dissapeared.
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    I think from now on these Forums should be the only place considered to play SUBNAUTICA as a Multi-player game.

B)

Forum PvP is the multiplayer portion of the game in most games.
    edited January 2017

B)

In which case...

Watch out!

There's a Stalker behind you.

B)

B)

In which case...

Watch out!

B)

As well as a Troll and White Knight.

B)

In which case...

Watch out!

B)

As well as a Troll and White Knight.

Nahhh... they don't live in the ocean.
    B)
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    I knew that this game was sketchy. Luckily I check first before spending my money on a game that doesn't even have multiplayer.

Okay look buddy as an English major who's feeling vindictive I'm going to have to patronizingly belittle your word choice here...

'Sketchy' has connotations, SEVERAL connotations... And not a one of them could be applied to your disappointment. The central problem you have is that Subnautica does not have multiplayer. Okay, some people are looking for that, that's fine. Some people prefer single player (myself included) and that's fine.

Sketchy, however, implies that the game is misleading or not on the level. That it's dishonest or disreputable. Now, for Subnautica to seem 'sketchy' in the term that you're using it, it would have to be dishonest or misleading in some way.

The initial concept trailer shows a SINGLE person in a lifepod, falling off the lifepod into an alien sea, and looking at his surroundings.

The gameplay trailers and screenshots on the Steam page all feature a single perspective.

Nowhere on the page does it advertise multiplayer. In fact I do believe that on the Steam page it says, on the right, above the box confirming that yes, the game has VR support, that the game features "Full controller support" and "Single-Player".

This isn't even like No Man's Sky, where Sean Murray was asked point-blank by people "Can you run into other players in the game" and he said "Yeah". The game has, in every way, been clear and up front that it's Single Player. This forum, as many people have noted, is full of posts clarifying that no there is not multiplayer and there will likely never be multiplayer.

If you had wanted to get your point across, you could have said "I thought so. Luckily I checked first"

Or even better, not said that first sentence at all and just said "Luckily I checked first before spending my money"

Or better yet, dropped the angry tone entirely and just accepted that this game that advertises itself as single-player is in fact single-player and gone "Well shucks, thanks for your time"
    Can you please not respond to this account anymore unless multiplayer gets added. I don't have time to respond to 50 Emails.
    Kyman201 wrote: »

Okay look buddy as an English major who's feeling vindictive I'm going to have to patronizingly belittle your word choice here...

'Sketchy' has connotations, SEVERAL connotations... And not a one of them could be applied to your disappointment. The central problem you have is that Subnautica does not have multiplayer. Okay, some people are looking for that, that's fine. Some people prefer single player (myself included) and that's fine.

Sketchy, however, implies that the game is misleading or not on the level. That it's dishonest or disreputable. Now, for Subnautica to seem 'sketchy' in the term that you're using it, it would have to be dishonest or misleading in some way.

The initial concept trailer shows a SINGLE person in a lifepod, falling off the lifepod into an alien sea, and looking at his surroundings.

The gameplay trailers and screenshots on the Steam page all feature a single perspective.

Nowhere on the page does it advertise multiplayer. In fact I do believe that on the Steam page it says, on the right, above the box confirming that yes, the game has VR support, that the game features "Full controller support" and "Single-Player".

This isn't even like No Man's Sky, where Sean Murray was asked point-blank by people "Can you run into other players in the game" and he said "Yeah". The game has, in every way, been clear and up front that it's Single Player. This forum, as many people have noted, is full of posts clarifying that no there is not multiplayer and there will likely never be multiplayer.

If you had wanted to get your point across, you could have said "I thought so. Luckily I checked first"

Or even better, not said that first sentence at all and just said "Luckily I checked first before spending my money"

Or better yet, dropped the angry tone entirely and just accepted that this game that advertises itself as single-player is in fact single-player and gone "Well shucks, thanks for your time"

What I meant by sketchy was that the game looked like a scam and it's not worth $20

Since the game lacks multiplayer it made it look even more suspicious.

What I meant by sketchy was that the game looked like a scam and it's not worth $20

If you want to disable getting emails from here, then it can be turned off in your account settings. Go to the top of the screen where your account name is, then click on the gear icon and select the Edit Account option. After that click on Notification Preferences, get rid of every single check mark under email, and then click on Save Preferences. That should remove any future emails from this thread.

I would suggest taking a look at Let's Play videos of the game from Youtubers like Markiplier and Jacksepticeye to make an informed decision. Comparing Jacksepticeye's initial Subnautica videos to the ones he just released shows how much Unknown Worlds has done in 21 months. The majority of us consider the game to be worth the $20 we have spent on it, but everyone has different tastes in games. This game is heavily into exploration, survival, resource grinding, and base building where it is the main character all alone against an alien ocean with just the help of their Fabricator to survive.

If you are into PvP, then there is Natural Selection 2 which is also created by Unknown Worlds. Not sure how good of a PvP game it is since I am not into PvP, but it was released Halloween 2012 and still releasing content for the game.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    edited January 2017

Okay what looks like a scam? A scam implies that they lied to you to sucker you out of money. At NO point are the devs anything but 100% open and honest with what the game is, what you'll expect, and what you'll get.

If that's not what you want? Well, sorry to hear that, shame you won't be buying a game I personally would pay like 30-40 bucks for and got for like 20.

But throwing around words like 'sketchy' and 'scam' are objectively incorrect by any reasonable definition of the words. And English is a versatile language that contains words that can properly communicate your feelings.

A game lacking multiplayer isn't suspicious, it merely indicates that the game doesn't have multiplayer. Which MANY great games don't. The KOTOR games (obviously not counting TOR as it's an MMO), the Dragon's Age games, Mass Effects 1 and 2, Portal 1, a charming little game called Recettear, I could list hundreds of high quality games that have no multiplayer element.

You use words to imply that a product of clear love and passion is on par with those Unity Asset Flips that appear on Steam Greenlight to con players out of their money on something that doesn't work and is hardly a game at all. This is wrong and I will object to it VERY strongly.

And yes I realize that what you meant was "I don't want to buy a game that doesn't have multiplayer". I'm making a big deal out of it because you didn't say that, and I can get passionate and admittedly petty and vindictive.
    I'd love to keep posting in this thread so that you continually get emails...,

But you're just not worth the effort.

B)

If you want to disable getting emails from here, then it can be turned off in your account settings. Go to the top of the screen where your account name is, then click on the gear icon and select the Edit Account option. After that click on Notification Preferences, get rid of every single check mark under email, and then click on Save Preferences. That should remove any future emails from this thread.

I would suggest taking a look at Let's Play videos of the game from Youtubers like Markiplier and Jacksepticeye to make an informed decision. Comparing Jacksepticeye's initial Subnautica videos to the ones he just released shows how much Unknown Worlds has done in 21 months. The majority of us consider the game to be worth the $20 we have spent on it, but everyone has different tastes in games. This game is heavily into exploration, survival, resource grinding, and base building where it is the main character all alone against an alien ocean with just the help of their Fabricator to survive.

If you are into PvP, then there is Natural Selection 2 which is also created by Unknown Worlds. Not sure how good of a PvP game it is since I am not into PvP, but it was released Halloween 2012 and still releasing content for the game.

Thanks for telling me how to disable the emails from this community.

In all fairness, Cory Strader has said on Discord a day or two ago that mp still is somewhat a possibility. A very, very, very low one in a way that it's right the devs flatout deny it, but still a possibility. Although, and not to be a Strader hater, but just sometimes I get some Molyneux Lite vibes from all the things he says are still possible.
    I felt the need to step in and clarify this comment, since this is how rumors and, later, accusations start, about what devs "promised". I very clearly stated in Discord that mp was not ever...ever...going to be in the game for 1.0. I said it was something we would POSSIBLY investigate AFTER 1.0, but that it was a massive ton of work, and we certainly were making no promises about mp ever being in SN.

Given the amount of time I spend in Discord answering questions and giving people in there a behind the scenes look into game development, it seems a pretty low blow to drop a Molyneux comment in reference to me (at least in the way that it was intended in the comment ), since I've never promised something we didn't deliver on. And if I say something is a possibility, I mean it. And when it's not a possibility, I am clear about that, as well.

I meant the ML comment as a harmless joke. I acknowledge this is not how it was received (and looking back, even without the response, I probably would have changed the wording. Seemed funny last night, doesn't this morning) and I offer my apologies for that. If this is not sufficient to undo the damage, I am open to instructions how to elaborate on it.
This discussion has been closed.