"Legendary" Knife - Marguerit's "Heatfang"

04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
EXPERIMENT Glowing 1000 degree KNIFE VS VARIOUS ALIEN FISH

I thought it would be neat, considering that the last we hear of Marge she's repeatedly stabbing a Reaper Leviathan after it wakes up, that she died in battle and left her knife embedded in the head or face of the Leviathan she was in combat with.

I would like to be able to find this unique Knife embedded in one of the Reaper Leviathan Skulls in the Lost River. It could be an unbreakable Heatblade with a unique model, that functions as a heat blade until its battery runs out, then functioning as a regular Blade, until the battery is replaced. It could also do double damage to creatures, as well.

"Heatfang" would come with about 20% of its original charge remaining, requiring a battery replacement shortly after pickup, teaching the player that this unique knife is both unbreakable and can be recharged or left as a regular knife.

It would also have a unique Encyclopedia entry and PDA message

Encyclopedia Entry:
There is a small inscription on the hilt of this knife, reading "Heatfang"

An illegally modified personal armament of one Marguerit Maida of the Degasi, the blade of this knife has been subjected to intense deep sea pressure for hundreds of years, giving it an exceptionally sturdy, virtually unbreakable blade. Found lodged in the brow of a Reaper Leviathan skull deep in the Lost River, it is safe to assume the elite mercenary will not come looking for it.

This knife is illegally modified from standard Fabricator specifications, featuring a serrated mono-molecular edge (outlawed on 14 worlds), a replaceable battery to sustain and improve its heated blade (outlawed on 7 worlds), and an ergonomic, contoured handle for improved grip and comfort (outlawed on 2 worlds)

PDA Messages:
Warning, this knife is not compliant with standard Alterra Fabricator Knife regulations. Continued use of this weapon may result in disciplinary action by your parent corporation at their discretion.

(Of course nothing really happens)

Comments

• TwootsTwoots Sweden Join Date: 2017-01-09 Member: 226436Members
    Love it, especially the bit about outlawed comfort handle x3
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    They should do this for Bart's transfuser, all effects last twice as long.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    edited January 2017
    The Dragon's Tooth (or 'Heatfang', if you prefer) belongs to Héloise Maida now. The circle is complete.

Super-heated diamond permablades rule.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    An idea like this removes the usefulness of all other knives, which is why it won't get my vote. Any item addition that makes earlier ones obsolete is a gameplay breaker as far as I am concerned.

Though I would be interested to have it as a collectable to put on display. I'd love more stuff to put into a memorial room.
  • wowwinkwowwink Merica Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224596Members
    Ok I love that. I have always wanted special things that you can only find in some places :D
  • smellslikebleachsmellslikebleach Join Date: 2016-12-22 Member: 225337Members
    Love that too but concerning with the reduced located age rating I supose there is not much space for special knives weapons like this... :/
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Twoots wrote: »
    Love it, especially the bit about outlawed comfort handle x3

Outlawed on Boredom Prime and Lethargia
  • iknowaghostloliknowaghostlol lakewood, CO Join Date: 2017-01-07 Member: 226273Members
    like it.....but sounds too OP
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    An idea like this removes the usefulness of all other knives, which is why it won't get my vote. Any item addition that makes earlier ones obsolete is a gameplay breaker as far as I am concerned.

Though I would be interested to have it as a collectable to put on display. I'd love more stuff to put into a memorial room.

I mean by the time you get to the lost river you'll probably be established enough to not have to worry about getting rubber and titanium for knives anymore.

You'd still have to keep it charged up with batteries for its Thermoblade and Double Damage effect, but otherwise it's just an unbreakable Diamond Blade.

I also like the idea of finding trophies you could hang up/display.

• soversover germany Join Date: 2016-12-19 Member: 225184Members
    Unbreakable is too OP and I would have to agree with DrownedOut there that it also would be a game breaker

but I do like the idea of being a heat and normal blade and have high durability

so after finding it you either can repair it with

normal blade + heatfang = +50% of durabilty on the heatfang

even if the heatfang has like 4 times the durability of a diamond blade

or you would be able to modify your fabricator (in other words blueprint after picking up the heatfang)

diamond blade + normal blade + heatblade + diamond + battery = heatfang

something like that

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    sover wrote: »
    Unbreakable is too OP and I would have to agree with DrownedOut there that it also would be a game breaker

but I do like the idea of being a heat and normal blade and have high durability

so after finding it you either can repair it with

normal blade + heatfang = +50% of durabilty on the heatfang

even if the heatfang has like 4 times the durability of a diamond blade

or you would be able to modify your fabricator (in other words blueprint after picking up the heatfang)

diamond blade + normal blade + heatblade + diamond + battery = heatfang

something like that

Again, by the time you get to the Lost River you either have the Exosuit and Drill Arm, or enough Titanium/Rubber to make a plethora of knives, so the durability of knives isn't a problem anyways. This simply saves time having to open your inventory and add a new knife to one of your hotbar slots.

Its like adding an unbreakable pickaxe to The End in Minecraft. By the time you get there you already have a bunch of diamond picks, or a bunch of virtually unbreakable enchanted picks anyways. All it does is save valuable inventory space.
    edited January 2017
    so you also would like finding selfrecharging ion power cells in inactive lava then?
    and a selfnurishing reinforced diving suit that filters plankton makes nutrients and pumps direclty into you
    and a rebreather that opens a wormhole connection to above the water so unlimited air?

and yes your unbreakable knife is the same category even if it is more >useless< than the above : GODITEMS

also I think the Drill should have durability and would have to be repaired or even completly switched out
    so you also would like finding selfrecharging ion power cells in inactive lava then?
    and a selfnurishing reinforced diving suit that filters plankton makes nutrients and pumps direclty into you
    and a rebreather that opens a wormhole connection to above the water so unlimited air?

and yes your unbreakable knife is the same category even if it is more >useless< than the above : GODITEMS

Yeah that's not hilariously exaggerated for no reason.
    It's a special knife. Not a Creative Mode cheat.
  • somerandomsurvivorsomerandomsurvivor Join Date: 2016-12-28 Member: 225606Members
    edited January 2017

Yeah that's not hilariously exaggerated for no reason.
    It's a special knife. Not a Creative Mode cheat.

I can agree, sort of. I feel like it should break, but not be completely gone if it does. The durability itself could be maybe 300 instead of diamond's 200, and should it hit 0 it changes to "Broken Heatfang" Which can't be equipped. You would auto unlock heatfang in your fabricator for something like: 1 Broken Heatfang, 1 Diamond, 1 Battery, 1 titanium ingot. Not necessarily those supplies but the broken knife, 2 cheapish things and 1 expensiveish thing to make a fully repaired blade. And a second recipe that is the broken heatfang by just using Heatfang with the fabricator.

I do understand why unbreakable would be a bit op, but knives are nearly pointless (pun intended) late game due to the prawn and stuff like that. This idea is not just lore friendly, but it makes sense from a progression standpoint.
    DrownedOut wrote: »

Well the pressure compensators MK I and II get obsoleted by III, and your flippers get obsoleted by the upgraded ones, and your oxygen tanks get obsoleted by the lighter one (all + no - like the bigger one since it makes you slower), and... this is following a theme. Progression. Yes I agree indestructible ruins the purpose, but that whole repair Idea would balance it out nicely and honestly makes it a pretty decent upgrade. If not 1.5X durability over diamond then just make it diamond and heated knife with a bit more damage (Oh and another example of progressive obsolescence: the diamond knife. Double durability, nothing lost.)

And before it is said, yes you can argue the original ones are cheaper but then my idea follows that same path, and also You only need to produce a limited number of oxygen tanks and flippers so... kinda moot at that point. Especially since this knife would have you risk a reaper leviathan encounter (Stasis rifle doesn't stop the fact that it is dangerous as hell because insta death is a thing, because R I P if you miss).
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    1 titanium ingot. Not necessarily those supplies but the broken knife, 2 cheapish things and 1 expensiveish thing to make a fully repaired blade.

A seamoth's worth of titanium?? How about 2 Titanium and a Lithium?
  • somerandomsurvivorsomerandomsurvivor Join Date: 2016-12-28 Member: 225606Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    1 titanium ingot. Not necessarily those supplies but the broken knife, 2 cheapish things and 1 expensiveish thing to make a fully repaired blade.

A seamoth's worth of titanium?? How about 2 Titanium and a Lithium?

Like I said, not exactly those things, but more expensive than that. This is literally stronger than a heated knife, more/as durable as a diamond knife, and at worst takes up a whole battery (gosh that's SOOOO much late game) *snarky snarky snark*.

In all seriousness though, it is supposed to be the ultimate knife progression and should have more than just 2 titanium and lithium. it needs SOMETHING of decent cost late game. I just thought of ingot because of quantity over quality, but you could easily do some late game item and 2 titanium or around that. It just needs to be a bit expensive to even out the fact that it is... well what I said before. Yeah an ingot is a bit much in quantity, but I think my point is clear enough.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    2 Titanium, a Lithium, a Diamond, and an aluminum oxide? I dunno.
  • NecromNecrom The Grave Join Date: 2016-04-07 Member: 215444Members
    Unique collectibles in any game are easily the best part, just look at Skyrim. So many named and special artifacts. I would love to see something like this. On a side note, is it safe to assume that the precursors had weapons? Thus the possibility of a unique alien rifle in the emperor containment facility, and even more late game fun.
    a large alien cattle prod? haha
    it needs SOMETHING of decent cost late game.
    Have you considered getting to the Lost River to be a part of the cost?
    Finding all the Exosuit fragments, or all the Cyclops fragments is quite the task.

Necrom wrote: »
    Thus the possibility of a unique alien rifle in the emperor containment facility, and even more late game fun.

Something like a Warp Rifle would be rad. It functions similarly to the Stasis Rifle, but creates a vortex like a vortex torpedo, and anything sucked into it gets Teleported somewhere else. Charging it up would make a larger, more powerful warp vortex.

Exploring the Active Lave Zone? Boop, No more Sea Dragon in your face, but now it's in the Grand Reef. So it can get a target out of the way completely, but doesn't actually remove it from the game. Shooting it at Leviathans would be a risk, since it could potentially teleport it to a safer biome, like the Kelp Forest or Grassy Plateaus

It would have to run off of Ion Crystal Batteries or something.
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
  • NecromNecrom The Grave Join Date: 2016-04-07 Member: 215444Members
    That's a good idea, I just see kind of a problem with the random chance thing. It'd have to draw a hell of a lot of power to use just once, otherwise you just use it whenever you have a problem. It would need to be a niche weapon with limited usefulness even though it's late game. One other idea is that it's more of a flare gun type thing. Like, you'd fire it at a creature and if you hit it it's send a signal out and a bunch of warpers would warp in to attack it and distract it for like 20 minutes.
    edited January 2017
    it needs SOMETHING of decent cost late game.

Have you considered getting to the Lost River to be a part of the cost?
    Finding all the Exosuit fragments, or all the Cyclops fragments is quite the task.

Rule 1 of game development when it comes to unnecessary progression: NEVER consider the natural progression of the game as a cost for those non mandatory rewards.

Imagine progression as a tree. The trunk is your normal game process. Throughout this trunk the game would progress from one zone to the other. Some parts of this trunk require free things to progress the game state smoothly, such as a radiation suit for free in LP 6, or your free pressure compensator. These things are made free and found because they are required to smoothly progress the game. For instance, that pressure compensator lets your seamoth go into the purple caves to get the required materials and advancements there. You need to get it for free because making them would either be impossible due to progression (unlikly to make a moonpool before caves) or because it's pointlessly tedious (rad suit is needed early and would take away from focusing on building what needs to be built early).

This knife is not in that natural progression trunk, it is a branch, such as say a stasis rifle. It helps, but under no circumstances is it impossible to progress in the game without it. That is why you have to have a separate cost because natural progression is a reward unto itself. You progress to progress until you beat the game, and this knife is not required to do that, rather make it easier to do so, but to make it easier you must pay your cost. A branch is not part of the trunk, the reward of the trunk is basically going higher up the trunk, but a branch's reward is whatever is on the tip of it if that makes any sense to you.

EDIT: i haz gude spellin'