Silver is Frustratingly Difficult to Find Now

MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
Hi Devs

I know you recently changed the chances of sandstone producing gold/silver from, I believe, a 30/70 ratio to a 50/50. I now find silver frustratingly difficult to find. Gold is found in 50% of sandstone and a percentage of basalt. Silver is only found in sandstone that I am aware of. Yet silver is needed in far more item productions than gold is, so why have you reduced the ratio of silver finds? I now have an abundance of worthless gold, but still trying to get a decent amount of silver. In my humble opinion, your moving sandstone to a 50/50 chance of producing silver was a bad move. Perhaps you could make basalt have a chance of producing silver too, in order to make the silver balance a little more favourable.

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Join the rest of us lamenters here. And apparently the silver thing is an improvement to some people because supposedly it used to be 75/25 even though like you I previously experienced it as 25/75.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Thank you DrownedOut :smile:
  • MrRoarkeMrRoarke Join Date: 2016-05-16 Member: 216830Members
    They'll be finagling resource balances until the end. The Trello page indicates they're aware of the difficulty and are attempting to rectify it.

The most silver shows up nowadays in the kelp forest caves. There's more than one kelp forest, so you'll have to scout out each one to find them. Happy hunting.
  • NachomanNachoman Join Date: 2016-12-16 Member: 225029Members
    I find silver so much easier to find at the present state of the game than it ever has been before. You can find more than enough to last you the entire game in the area just around your escape pod, check and dive into every thermal vent for a near guaranteed half dozen silver per vent. Dont have to swim for 20 minutes to find it anymore or go to depths to do so, safe shallows has plenty of it.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited December 2016
    They actually made Silver more common this update (in previous updates gold had a 70% chance of spawning and silver had 30%, now it's a 50/50 chance.)
    Maybe you just got really lucky with the RNG before? Because there were a lot of people complaining about Silver even before before this update.
  • Xxcookid123xXXxcookid123xX USA Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224587Members
    Silver is easy for me to find. I just take my seamoth and- *cries in corner because my save was damaged so i don't even have a world so I have no seamoth*
    I'm glad people who do find silver easily now are sharing their experiences with the new distribution because it gives more insight into what is going on (though note, I do not consider reciting the stats "sharing your experiences" - say how the situation has changed for you). But we have reached the point where we should come to the conclusion that there is something else going on than "luck".
    Nachoman wrote: »
    You can find more than enough to last you the entire game in the area just around your escape pod, check and dive into every thermal vent for a near guaranteed half dozen silver per vent.

Little curious, how do you enter the thermal vents these days pre-reinforced diving suit? I just have to hover slightly above it and heat damage already kicks in. I can't seem to go inside anymore in early game.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    Little curious, how do you enter the thermal vents these days pre-reinforced diving suit? I just have to hover slightly above it and heat damage already kicks in. I can't seem to go inside anymore in early game.
    Heat damage isn't massive. If you hurry you can get to the outcrops and out again before it becomes dangerous. It's not like you're going to run low on medkits any time anyway.
    Which is an interesting concept where hit points in games diverge from real life. In real life, hot water either almost burns you or burns you, right?

I guess you can get second and then third degree burns from hot water, in a complex mixture of temperature and duration of contact. But volunteering to burn yourself to obtain minerals will always be an odd concept to me.

Can you still pick up the rock deposits with the propulsion cannon? I'm noticing some difficulties with it after this update. If you can, you can remain some distance from them and pull them to you.

There are still the cave systems in each of the kelp forests that have lots of silver in them.
  • GRAW2ROBZGRAW2ROBZ Join Date: 2016-12-23 Member: 225373Members
    Gold is very easy to get compared to silver. I swam to that island and loaded up on gold.
    edited December 2016
    Yeah, that has become the issue. Stacks and stacks of gold, which is only required to make computer chips (maybe something else, can't remember), but hardly any silver, which is required for computer chips but also wiring kits.

I'm in the deep off the mountain island and the basalt chunks I think have almost nothing but gold, and the occasional diamond. Right next to huge diamond nodes that produce more diamond with the drill (which is the only late-game thing that requires diamond) than you'd ever need.

Resource balances are skewed is the short answer.
    Yeah I need silver to make a few basic wiring kits. I already made advanced wiring kits cause that was easier to come by.
    MrRoarke wrote: »
    Yeah, that has become the issue. Stacks and stacks of gold, which is only required to make computer chips (maybe something else, can't remember), but hardly any silver, which is required for computer chips but also wiring kits.

I'm in the deep off the mountain island and the basalt chunks I think have almost nothing but gold, and the occasional diamond. Right next to huge diamond nodes that produce more diamond with the drill (which is the only late-game thing that requires diamond) than you'd ever need.

Resource balances are skewed is the short answer.

You need 17+ pieces of gold atm, 14 of which indeed are part of advanced wiring kits. The rest goes to polyaniline and power transmitters. If the power transmission system gets a significant update to be more flexible, I can see gold join the ranks of secondary base materials but until than its of medium use.
    Fathom wrote: »
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    Heat damage isn't massive. If you hurry you can get to the outcrops and out again before it becomes dangerous. It's not like you're going to run low on medkits any time anyway.

I don't think I consider vent silver early silver than. Getting pain signals does not encourage going forward.
    Yeah, you're right. I got that totally wrong. My bad.
  • zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    what's so hard about finding silver? it's in the kelp forest... go in the kelp forest. every new game i make i get 2 lockers full of silver in no time.
    zimzum wrote: »
    what's so hard about finding silver? it's in the kelp forest... go in the kelp forest. every new game i make i get 2 lockers full of silver in no time.

Ikr same lol. Idk what everyone else's luck is.
    edited December 2016
    I found 3 pieces of silver yesterday pretty quickly. Then game crashed after making basic wiring kit and almost made computer chip. Then lost the data and had to start over. Then found another piece of silver and a garbage can. Then I called it a day since it was laggy.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Yea, I have to say I don't have a hard time finding silver myself. It's pretty much just there in the Kelp Forest, which has tonnes of Limestone deposits in it. But oh well, it's just the luck of the draw I suppose.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited December 2016
    Or at least allow us to craft Gold Ingots so gold will take up less space in our lockers.
  • OttiusOttius Join Date: 2016-12-26 Member: 225530Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Or at least allow us to craft Gold Ingots so gold will take up less space in our lockers.
    Would love it if they allowed the ore/minerals to stack. For example 10xSilver Ore would only take up one inventory space.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Or at least let ingots be broken down into the components. personal experience is that I can still find enough, but I also know exactly where to look. It's a pain,but I'm never totally stumped.
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    I recently started a new save file on the 22nd, due to a glitch with the Grand Reef wreck preventing me from going past a Sealed Door (the door was cut to 100% but the cutout never fell away, reloading didn't fix it). The second time through I had to struggle to find Silver Ore from the Kelp Forests (even inside the Kelp Caves); meanwhile I had almost six Lockers just crammed full of useless Gold Ore. While Gold can have some use with Power Transfer devices, I never have a need for it since I build my bases near thermal vents.

My suggestion to the developers would be: either outright remove Gold as a possible drop from Sandstone rocks, or at least lower its appearance rate to 1:3 vs Silver. In the early game, you need a lot Silver for Computer Chips and Wiring Kits to build up your devices and base features. As for Gold, not only does it ALSO appear in Basalt rocks in the Grand Reef, by the time you find the Power Transfer fragments from that biome (which needs Seamoth support) you've got access to Power Plants and Moonpool fragments, rendering Gold as a worthless commodity.

Please, for our sanity, either lower/remove Gold sources from the early game, or at least add a recipe to justify its abundant appearance on this desolate world. :cry:

I swear I have no idea if you guys have a game error or what. When I go to the kelp forest and find sandstone rocks, I always find silver. usually 50/50 for gold and silver.
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    Yea, I have to say I don't have a hard time finding silver myself. It's pretty much just there in the Kelp Forest, which has tonnes of Limestone deposits in it. But oh well, it's just the luck of the draw I suppose.

Sandstone, not limestone. And no one is complaining about a lack of sandstone (although the lack of "dedicated"/early areas for sandstone does play a role), but rather the odds of silver - the one resource one cares for to come out of sandstone - vs the odds of gold - a resource about thrice as useless and at least thrice as easy to find.
    I swear I have no idea if you guys have a game error or what. When I go to the kelp forest and find sandstone rocks, I always find silver. usually 50/50 for gold and silver.

Which is not acceptable for the one source (barnacles barely add) of a high priority material.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    edited December 2016
    They should just flip the recipes in which silver/gold are used.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Until they make silver easier, I recommend working toward prawn suit drill arm. Once you get it, you can fill lockers. Only a few silver needed along the way(iirc for moonpool and vehicle modification station). The biggest obstacle for me was getting the blueprints, though a couple of the resources are in deeper areas.
  • Excorpion2013Excorpion2013 Chile Join Date: 2016-12-29 Member: 225688Members
    I think that gold need to be tuned down a little bit, same thing with lead
    and tune up silver.

Now we have a lot of reciped that needs silver
    and just a few that needs gold

Also, gold looks like it more concentrated
    Silver instead, is everywhere.
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    Yeah, the game is basically "Underwater Silver Hunt" until you get a PRAWN with a drill.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    I recently started a new save file on the 22nd, due to a glitch with the Grand Reef wreck preventing me from going past a Sealed Door (the door was cut to 100% but the cutout never fell away, reloading didn't fix it). The second time through I had to struggle to find Silver Ore from the Kelp Forests (even inside the Kelp Caves); meanwhile I had almost six Lockers just crammed full of useless Gold Ore. While Gold can have some use with Power Transfer devices, I never have a need for it since I build my bases near thermal vents.

My suggestion to the developers would be: either outright remove Gold as a possible drop from Sandstone rocks, or at least lower its appearance rate to 1:3 vs Silver. In the early game, you need a lot Silver for Computer Chips and Wiring Kits to build up your devices and base features. As for Gold, not only does it ALSO appear in Basalt rocks in the Grand Reef, by the time you find the Power Transfer fragments from that biome (which needs Seamoth support) you've got access to Power Plants and Moonpool fragments, rendering Gold as a worthless commodity.

Please, for our sanity, either lower/remove Gold sources from the early game, or at least add a recipe to justify its abundant appearance on this desolate world. :cry:

While i agree with you that gold is waayyyyy too common for the use we have for it i must say that about silver, its not as hard to find it nowadays than it was way back. If you know where to look you can easily get a locker ful of silver from one kelp forest. Of course, gotta manage the stalkers disagreeing with your presence in their forest lol

Every game has its bottleneck, some ''added'' difficulty like a place hard to reach or an item hard to find that makes the game in general more challenging. In this game its silver. Its an artificial difficulty that makes the game harder (orslower) to progress for those who struggle to find enough silver for their need.

Its debatable if its a good thing or a bad thing, since like i said every game has its bottleneck like that, Subnautica follows the same rule ...... Personally i like the fact that something is less common to find than the rest :wink:
    Rainstorm wrote: »

While i agree with you that gold is waayyyyy too common for the use we have for it i must say that about silver, its not as hard to find it nowadays than it was way back. If you know where to look you can easily get a locker ful of silver from one kelp forest. Of course, gotta manage the stalkers disagreeing with your presence in their forest lol

Every game has its bottleneck, some ''added'' difficulty like a place hard to reach or an item hard to find that makes the game in general more challenging. In this game its silver. Its an artificial difficulty that makes the game harder (or lower) to progress for those who struggle to find enough silver for their need.

Its debatable if its a good thing or a bad thing, since like i said every game has its bottleneck like that, Subnautica follows the same rule ...... Personally i like the fact that something is less common to find than the rest :wink:

I don't know when exactly "way back" was, but unless memory plays me it used to be so that sandstone could be found on the GP plains (instead of only on the GP pillars). Silver has always been a pain, but I would say it was easier to get it back then.