Silver is Frustratingly Difficult to Find Now

2»

Comments

• MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    I don't know when exactly "way back" was, but unless memory plays me it used to be so that sandstone could be found on the GP plains (instead of only on the GP pillars). Silver has always been a pain, but I would say it was easier to get it back then.

Hear hear, brother! :D
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    I don't know when exactly "way back" was, but unless memory plays me it used to be so that sandstone could be found on the GP plains (instead of only on the GP pillars). Silver has always been a pain, but I would say it was easier to get it back then.

Thats true, but then you had to roam"age' the red grass for them and then not loose them silver chunks in the red grass while praying the subnautican gods that the sandsharks and biter yould eat you alive while doing so lol For that reason i would never go there to find silver, i was too fook'n skeered of that place to stay there that long :smiley:

So i always stuck to the kelp forests for silver and in my memory you wouldnt find as many sandstones in there as you would now, added to the fact that i mostly seemed to get more gold then silver out of them sandstone nodes then today. Of course, that could have only been my luck that was horrible :sweat:
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    Back when sandstone was abundant in the grassy plateaus there were also a lot less need for silver, due to a lack of prawn suit/vehicle upgrades in general.

Yes silver isn't a deal breaker when you know where to look and how to prepare for it but it is nearly impossible for players that haven't figured out that each resource has a themed location or what those themes are. Not everyone reads the wiki/forums and they shouldn't have to.

I say change the computer chip recipe to use gold instead of silver, or offer that as a second recipe for computer chips. Silver would still have a use with the wiring kits that are fairly commonly needed and you have something to sink your extra gold into.

As it stands silver is a resource that is tricky to locate but frequently used in recipes requiring any kind of circuitry. Compare it to other high-need resources like quartz or titanium that are easily found- demand is high but so is supply.
  • VoqarVoqar Join Date: 2017-01-01 Member: 225844Members
    As a new player I find the whole silver thing frustrating. For pretty much all other resources you can find as much as you want easily as long as you know where to look and can get there, but silver is a tedious lotto (where you don't really need all the gold/lead).
    Jarin wrote: »
    Yeah, the game is basically "Underwater Silver Hunt" until you get a PRAWN with a drill.

Again, new player, and haven't built a PRAWN and fragments in my game have been screwy - either tons in one loc (probably due to wreck stack/multiple bug and not knowing that could happen til way after) or sparse as hell, so I don't have a drill arm yet. But, I don't see much point in building the PRAWN since I have just about everything else and a huge base. The only thing I'd need to drill for is to pile up resources I don't really need. I'll probably end up building it just to build it and bust some large nodes to have tried everything.

It's worth noting that I probably play this differently than some; harvesting resources just to pile them up and/or build more bases just to build them doesn't do much for me - rather just play one of my 100's of other games or dozens in backlog and wait for dev to get further along in this game. So like for me, once I could build (and did build and thoroughly deck out) my cyclops, I was like, that's nice - but I have everything so what am I going to do with this?
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »

Thats true, but then you had to roam"age' the red grass for them and then not loose them silver chunks in the red grass while praying the subnautican gods that the sandsharks and biter yould eat you alive while doing so lol For that reason i would never go there to find silver, i was too fook'n skeered of that place to stay there that long :smiley:

So i always stuck to the kelp forests for silver and in my memory you wouldnt find as many sandstones in there as you would now, added to the fact that i mostly seemed to get more gold then silver out of them sandstone nodes then today. Of course, that could have only been my luck that was horrible :sweat:

For me, the GP was the place to go for silver because it is more open and thus easier to see around and to escape if need be. Became even more easy once you got the Seamoth. So, the removal of silver from anything but the pillars struck me hard. As pie1055 reminded me, the GP change also came with an increase in the need for silver - I think I recall what a setback that was, especially for a multi-base builder like me.

It strikes me as logical that at least the "walls" covering the transition from Safe Shallows to Grassy Plateaus should offer sandstone instead of having the occasional limestone. It would be a bandage at best to the current situation, but all the same fair in how sandstone is presented.
  • ilemiesilemies Finland Join Date: 2016-03-19 Member: 214499Members
    Silver drop chance was increased? Weird. In late Summer when I played last, I had more than enough but had trouble getting gold. Now I started a new game and I got 4 floating boxes full of gold and really struggle finding silver. Pretty much all silver I get is from the kelp forest and it's not much. Strikes me really odd that so many say getting silver is easier now and almost equal amount say it's harder. So far I've rummaged pretty much all of the west half of the map. I've barely found enough to have one base with basic manufacturing and recharging capabilities. Rest are purely for storage.
  • Kostas91Kostas91 Join Date: 2016-12-27 Member: 225547Members
    Drive your exosuit to Dunes and drill all the silver you can carry. Even if you dont have the suit yet, there is plenty in Kelp forest.
  • Mordecai WalfishMordecai Walfish Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164803Members
    edited January 2017
    Yesterday I took my prawn to the dunes just to the west of pod 17, and found 4 large silver nodes almost instantly upon getting to the dunes, enough silver to fill a storage locker and then some. Try checking just west of pod 17 if you have a prawn suit.

edit: changed "wreck" to "pod"
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    I haven't even built the PRAWN suit as for some reason the devs decided to change the ingredients - to include aerogel!! For that you need those spore things and they are vary rare indeed. They appear only to be found in vary few locations and then only found in vary small quantities. Only just found two now. :neutral:
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Myrm wrote: »
    I haven't even built the PRAWN suit as for some reason the devs decided to change the ingredients - to include aerogel!! For that you need those spore things and they are vary rare indeed. They appear only to be found in vary few locations and then only found in vary small quantities. Only just found two now. :neutral:

Spore sacks are easy if you can find so much as one for farming (I always get from the trench near the Aurora). They don't rot, so you can stock up easily. They disappear after three slashes, but you can do two slashes, then pick up the remaining plant, replant it, and repeat for a huge amount of seeds in short time.

It's highly broken, but until fixed and the spore sack shortage amended, it might as well be exploited.