Where are the land vehicles?

TheNuclearSoldierTheNuclearSoldier Mississippi, USA Join Date: 2016-12-09 Member: 224748Members
I know subnautica is set on an ocean world with known land masses to be just a few hundred meters square, but one PDA ingame mentions that the Aurora had "All Terrain Vehicles" onboard (presumably for exploring more land based planets). While an ATV (truck or 4-wheeler) would next to USELESS in game, they are still mentioned by the PDA. It would be funny to find some, download their schematics, and see how many people waste important resources just to watch their newly fabricated truck plunge uselessly into the ocean. XD

Comments

• phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    I know subnautica is set on an ocean world with known land masses to be just a few hundred meters square, but one PDA ingame mentions that the Aurora had "All Terrain Vehicles" onboard (presumably for exploring more land based planets). While an ATV (truck or 4-wheeler) would next to USELESS in game, they are still mentioned by the PDA. It would be funny to find some, download their schematics, and see how many people waste important resources just to watch their newly fabricated truck plunge uselessly into the ocean. XD

"All terrain" would probably make the vehicles anthibious. Or a giant spider walker
  • Dysius043Dysius043 United States Join Date: 2016-11-17 Member: 223999Members
    Probably refering to the Prawn suit.
  • Comander_SkullComander_Skull colorado Join Date: 2016-06-04 Member: 218107Members
    But what about vehicles for the sea floor.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • TheNuclearSoldierTheNuclearSoldier Mississippi, USA Join Date: 2016-12-09 Member: 224748Members

"All terrain" would probably make the vehicles anthibious. Or a giant spider walker

I was just going on the modern use of the term. As in pretty much any vehicle with off road ground capability. Tho having such a useless blueprint in the game would still be hilarious.
  • TheNuclearSoldierTheNuclearSoldier Mississippi, USA Join Date: 2016-12-09 Member: 224748Members
    edited December 2016
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    Forklift. There's a few laying around. Make their blueprints scannable.
    Got yer land vehicle right there.

That bugged me as well. Im like "Why cant I scan this?!" *continues to see if I can get a different angle for the scanner*

Raises the question: whats the point of forklifts if you have PRAWN suits? They look like they can be used as heavy lifters.
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    That bugged me as well. Im like "Why cant I scan this?!" *continues to see if I can get a different angle for the scanner*

Raises the question: whats the point of forklifts if you have PRAWN suits? They look like they can be used as heavy lifters.
    Prawn suits use more power to be worth it maybe?
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    NerdyEric wrote: »

Prawn suits use more power to be worth it maybe?

That, or I guess size maybe. PRAWN suits are rather bulky, looking at them.
  • QuillQuickcardQuillQuickcard Deep Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-11-22 Member: 224131Members
    The prawn is a true all-terrain vehicle. With its jump jets and grapple arm, it can get just about anywhere. But forklifts can still move far more weight, making them perfect for the warehouse work of inner-craft cargo.
  • mndfreezemndfreeze Grand Tempe Reef Join Date: 2016-02-26 Member: 213456Members
    I would like to see perhaps some more land based vehicles in the debris fields as it does make sense we would have some sort of rovers and other wheeled vehicles on a ship and mission of that size.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Even a small forklift can lift ~3,000 pounds. Source: I have to drive forklifts a lot at work (moving finished material up, bringing WIP down to my line).
    mndfreeze wrote: »
    I would like to see perhaps some more land based vehicles in the debris fields as it does make sense we would have some sort of rovers and other wheeled vehicles on a ship and mission of that size.

Yeah. It doesn't really need to be a gameplay element. Just more evidence of background lore, abit of world building.
  • QuillQuickcardQuillQuickcard Deep Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-11-22 Member: 224131Members

Yeah. It doesn't really need to be a gameplay element. Just more evidence of background lore, abit of world building.

I can agree to that.
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members

The only thing in that department that I could see being stored in some capacity on a ship that is off to build a ->space<- station would be cargo movers and we saw fork lifts.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Well, they were trying to build a phase gate which probably would entail moving pallets of equipment and material across the surface. Assuming that the planet is not entirely water, of course.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    Well, they were trying to build a phase gate which probably would entail moving pallets of equipment and material across the surface. Assuming that the planet is not entirely water, of course.

A phase gate is a space station. An end point of a bigass teleporter for large scale ships.
    think of it like the mass drivers from Mass Effect

It was not going to be built on the surface of the planet.

Maybe like a base camp, but nothing large scale enough to facilitate land vehicles.

A phase gate is a space station. An end point of a bigass teleporter for large scale ships.

Maybe like a base camp, but nothing large scale enough to facilitate land vehicles.

Well the planet wasn't a fully known quantity (as apparently any ship that got close gets blasted by that damned artillery cannon). So they would have to bring a variety of vehicles due to not being sure if there was enough land or not. One would assume they brought at least 1 land based vehicle that would serve the same purpose on land as the Seamoth and Cyclops do in the sea, just in case.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members

Well the planet wasn't a fully known quantity (as apparently any ship that got close gets blasted by that damned artillery cannon). So they would have to bring a variety of vehicles due to not being sure if there was enough land or not. One would assume they brought at least 1 land based vehicle that would serve the same purpose on land as the Seamoth and Cyclops do in the sea, just in case.

Bro you can see from space if the planet has land on it. They knew it was mostly an Aquatic world. Which is why you find Cyclops and Seamoth fragments and not Peterbilt and Nissan Sentra fragments
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members

Bro you can see from space if the planet has land on it. They knew it was mostly an Aquatic world. Which is why you find Cyclops and Seamoth fragments and not Peterbilt and Nissan Sentra fragments

Actually it's an uncharted planet, so they had no knowledge of it before the ship arrived. Therefore, while the Aurora would have been able to tell when in orbit that they needed their ocean planet gear, they would not have known on the journey there what to expect.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    jiju0g94eyji.jpg

My first thought as well.

B)
    Sidchicken wrote: »

Actually it's an uncharted planet, so they had no knowledge of it before the ship arrived. Therefore, while the Aurora would have been able to tell when in orbit that they needed their ocean planet gear, they would not have known on the journey there what to expect.

Not to mention that when the Aurora got close, it got shot down.
    They have the tech to fab anything they want near-instantly, so the water tech there could have easily been fabbed up upon seeing the first scans of the planet.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members

They were only supposed to to a drive by to check for the Degassi with their sensor arrays, not land and rescue. Breaking atmosphere was entirely unintended.
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    You guys know we don't see the entirety of the ship....right? They could just be in its own wing
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    I always assumed that:
    - The aquatic mining equipment
    - The weird proportions of the player model
    - The super human swimming speed

These all indicate that the player (and Alterra) are part of an aquatic space-faring civilisation... i.e. one which moves from water world to water world...

I mean - why not have different civilisations for different planetary niches right? Less competition.
    Fathom wrote: »

They were only supposed to to a drive by to check for the Degassi with their sensor arrays, not land and rescue. Breaking atmosphere was entirely unintended.

Yeah, the Aurora was supposed to look for the Degassi while doing a gravity slingshot maneuver.