[Bug] Equipping PRAWN upgrades in specific order = docking issues with the Cyclops [40062 Oct 2016]

DyonasDyonas The bottom of the deep blue sea Join Date: 2016-04-09 Member: 215542Members
edited December 2016 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
I discovered that fitting two specific upgrades to the PRAWN suit then docking with the Cyclops causes it to go a little crazy. Specifically it tilts to the left and if left alone or you attempt to travel it will send the Cyclops into a slow spin. I haven't tested all combinations only two so it may happen with others.

I've had it confirmed by one other person with the following steps.

1. Spawn Cyclops.
2. Spawn PRAWN suit.
3. Equip grappling arm upgrade.
4. Equip torpedo arm upgrade.
5. Dock with the Cyclops and enjoy the madness.
6. Attempt to get back to the docking hatch while the sub spins and undock to fix the issue.

I have to point out that the order of those upgrades is important because equipping the torpedo arm and then the grappling hook gives no issues. It's also worth pointing out that even if you can undock after running into this issue there is a high chance that the Cyclops is not on an even level where the forward section is higher than the rear as if it has a heavy load in the rear dragging it down. When I discovered the bug I had other upgrades fitted but removing them did nothing to fix it nor did they cause it when fitted without arm modules. For completeness they were the pressure compensator mk 3, jumpjet upgrade module, and the hull reinforcement module.

I grabbed a video of it happening. Two things to note on this are that the Cyclops is a newly spawned item as is the PRAWN suit. I set the upgrades up before I recorded in the order I mention. The spinning starts around 50 seconds if you want to skip but it's worth watching the whole thing.

Comments

• mndfreezemndfreeze Grand Tempe Reef Join Date: 2016-02-26 Member: 213456Members
    Hah! wow. Thats one crazy 'feature' :D Think your prawn suit needs to go on a diet.

Issue kind of reminds me of when one object gets stuck inside the geometry of another object in a game with physics attached to both, so one of them tries to push the other one outside its mesh/skin and causes one to shoot off all crazy fast or do wierd spins, etc. Maybe the arms on the prawn suit go out of bounds when docked somehow.

I feel like I've seen this happen before with the cyclops a long long time ago when the seamoth docked into it as well.
  • DyonasDyonas The bottom of the deep blue sea Join Date: 2016-04-09 Member: 215542Members
    I got the distinct impression that the arm modules were colliding as I docked and you can hear it thunk. There was no smooth docking that's for sure.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Maybe the 'catching' of the PRAWN when it's colliding with the Cyclops causes this? Two objects collide, preventing further movement, but the animation sequence for docking is engaged, so the vehicles are forced together, making constant momentum applied to the Cyclops by the PRAWN?

To test, try to do a very CLEAN docking, straight up & into the Cyclops, no collisions.
  • DyonasDyonas The bottom of the deep blue sea Join Date: 2016-04-09 Member: 215542Members
    The docking in the video is as clean as I can get really. It may look weird because I came at it from an angle but that was basically straight up into the bay. Even the Seamoth clunks as it enters.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Huh. Well I 'unno, then, lol.
  • YohaskanYohaskan Join Date: 2016-10-08 Member: 222961Members
    I have the same thing in fact ...
    I wait because I think for a knowing bug ... but nothing
    and I have the Seamoth bug always go back to the starting site whenever the Cyclops takes it elsewhere
  • mndfreezemndfreeze Grand Tempe Reef Join Date: 2016-02-26 Member: 213456Members
    Try switching to the experimental version of the game. I don't have that issue with it and I just switched to it, so maybe its already been addressed and fixed just won't get pushed out until they do the next stable release.