Subnautica and No Man's Sky

starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
No Man's Sky just released a new update that introduces base building. The base building is heavily inspired by Subnautica's style of building except NMS allows you to build cubes in addition to Multipurpose Rooms and hire aliens for the base.

Comments

• TaiphozTaiphoz UK Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Members
    Was looking at that, people have really bashed the game but what the developers have actually done is stunning, ruined only by the backlash from people expecting multiplayer, multiplayer is HUGE in today's gaming and I suspect its either next or high on the list of things to add to NMS, even if they handle it the same way Elite Dangerous does people will love it.
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    I'm just happy that they showed us they are still working on the game :/. Also I'm glad they did the Subnautica building method as a more open MC style wouldn't fit at all.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    As I enjoy Subnautica, the base building looks fun, but it seems a little TOO heavily inspired. Like they didn't have enough ideas of their own so they just yoinked SN's.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Eh, better well stolen than badly invented (or however you say that one in English). I'm just happy for the NMS crowd they're getting their promised updates.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    Eh, better well stolen than badly invented (or however you say that one in English). I'm just happy for the NMS crowd they're getting their promised updates.

I don't think it'll ever fully recover from the negative first impression it got, but I'm glad they're not just leaving it in that state and moving on. X Rebirth also had a real rocky start and manage to work up and solve that unfortunate beginning, so maybe No Man's Sky will as well. Time will tell if they see it through or give up along the way.

In any case, seeing that they've been trying to rebuild made me put it back on my wishlist, but $60's still steep for me so I'm waiting for it to go 85% off or something :B
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited November 2016
    I haven't played No Man's Sky myself (And because of the negative feedback, I doubt I ever will) but It's nice to know that they're still making an effort with it.
    Can you imagine the flood of rage if they started making paid DLC for it?
    I haven't played No Man's Sky myself (And because of the negative feedback, I doubt I ever will) but It's nice to know that they're still making an effort with it.

Here's the fixes we promised. That'll be $19.99 please.

Yeah, it wouldn't do them much good if they did that....
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Rezca wrote: »

I don't think it'll ever fully recover from the negative first impression it got, but I'm glad they're not just leaving it in that state and moving on. X Rebirth also had a real rocky start and manage to work up and solve that unfortunate beginning, so maybe No Man's Sky will as well. Time will tell if they see it through or give up along the way.

In any case, seeing that they've been trying to rebuild made me put it back on my wishlist, but $60's still steep for me so I'm waiting for it to go 85% off or something :B

It was on sale this past weekend for like half price.
    B)
    DaveyNY wrote: »

It was on sale this past weekend for like half price.
    B)

Which is still like $30, but that's better than sixty I guess xD
    However I was flat broke at the time so even half off was too much ^^;
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members

Here's the fixes we promised. That'll be $19.99 please.

Yeah, it wouldn't do them much good if they did that....

I pretty sure the community would actually just find them and take their money back.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    edited December 2016
    My issue with NMS was that they released a game, then went totally radio silent. They tweeted and made noise up until release, then got a couple of patches out the door, and then... NOTHING. They kept getting hammered (justifiably, IMO) for their lies, and still said nothing, charging $60 for a game worth no more than $20. I've gotten FAR better stuff from Humble Bundles.

The Steam players-playing numbers went from 200k at one time to... 500-ish a lot of the time, last I checked. SN is pulling 2000 at this very moment.
    http://steamcharts.com/app/264710 vs http://steamcharts.com/app/275850

Now, they're back to 3k-7k swings, which is MUCH more healthy, but still a fraction of what they started with.

But total radio silence? Pretty much anything they did was going to get roasted, but they could have kept up some sort of communication.
  • ShuryCZShuryCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206047Members
    I didn't buy NMS. It was obvious that the hype train was off the rails and that the game won't fulfill promises. It is clear early access model applied on full price tag of A game (Sony's fault?)

But I like the new content from what I've seen and might pick the game up later after few updates, because it still has incredible potential. So, untouched by the hype or hate trains, I will probably enjoy the game later.

(Subnautica so much better, lol)
  • yomamayomama On the freeway Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215861Members
    I got it for $20 on Amazon for PS4...at that price, I have far more forgiveness than for a $60 game
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members

Egosoft in last 15 years has done their releases the exact same way over and over and over again. If people are ignorant, can't google, blind or flat out imagine things that were never promised... it is not developers fault. They said exactly what you will get LONG before you could pre-order anything. Yes this time they borked their testing... but it was a new engine... finally a replacement to their 15 year old engine, it was really not doing it anymore. Also they are probably the only dev studio around that will still patch some game they released 10 years ago because it has hickups with modern gpus. Their releases may be as buggy as Bethesdas but they do fix their shit actually... unlike Bugthesda that has long stopped even trying to look like they are fixing something.

I disliked X-BtF so I had 0 interest in playing Rebirth. I still pre-ordered some digital special edition of it... I was not surprised it was broken (even their most beloved xpack was unusable for a year and it was on engine they used for about 10? years or so and this one was brand spanking new), you were told you will only have one ship... you were told everything they went as far as being just short of saying it was X-BtF 2.0... well I guess there was one surprise for me personally and that was the fact that I actually got into it when I checked on it after a year with some change, usually enough time for Ego to make it work.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    edited December 2016
    They made some pretty good progress with the foundation update. I'd kinda like to see a comparison between NMS and Osiris: New Dawn. From what I've seen Osiris kinda has more promise at this point (it also helps that its been compared with Subnautica in a different setting... which is kinda awesome in itself that SN just raised the bar on an entire genre and it isn't even released yet.)
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    They made some pretty good progress with the foundation update. I'd kinda like to see a comparison between NMS and Osiris: New Dawn. From what I've seen Osiris kinda has more promise at this point (it also helps that its been compared with Subnautica in a different setting... which is kinda awesome in itself that SN just raised the bar on an entire genre and it isn't even released yet.)

The crafting for Subnautica is more similar to Osiris than NMS. With Osiris you need to build a Forge, Chemistry Table, and Fabricator and you are able to build vehicles while with NMS you find a blueprint and craft it from inventory with no crafting tables and all vehicles are either repaired or bought.

With Osiris' base building, you build the frame for the room, then build each wall which can get extremely tedious. Building the room, then changing the wall is a far easier method for base building.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I've got my eye on Osiris (waiting for sale).
  • jpinardjpinard Join Date: 2016-09-17 Member: 222373Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    I've got my eye on Osiris (waiting for sale).

Me too. I hope it turns out good!
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    starkaos wrote: »
    The base building is heavily inspired by Subnautica's style of building except NMS...

That's a very fan-tastic interpretation.

Modular building (eg. Subnautica), as opposed to blocks (eg. Minecraft) is in plenty of other computer games. It's very common.

In the case of NMS it's how NPC structures are procedurally generated. And behind the scenes - for testing purposes - devs already had the ability to manually construct buildings. So all player base building required was some gameplay bits (like needing materials) and the like.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Halios wrote: »
    starkaos wrote: »
    The base building is heavily inspired by Subnautica's style of building except NMS...

That's a very fan-tastic interpretation.

Modular building (eg. Subnautica), as opposed to blocks (eg. Minecraft) is in plenty of other computer games. It's very common.

In the case of NMS it's how NPC structures are procedurally generated. And behind the scenes - for testing purposes - devs already had the ability to manually construct buildings. So all player base building required was some gameplay bits (like needing materials) and the like.

I'm not quite sure how true that is, having never played NMS myself, but while other games may have modular building as well, the systems in Subnautica and NMS bear far more than a passing resemblance. I doubt it was entirely of their own design.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    I actually talked in the "Subnautica: Next No Man's Sky" thread about base building. About how they were vastly different since Subnautica had an endgame when it came to base building, and No Man's Sky did not have an endgame (that god damn ending still pisses me off).

Now I'm going to talk about how absolutely stupid it is that they introduced base building into this bucket of memes.

The whole concept of the game is that you hop from planet to planet discovering new creatures and natural structures until you eventually reach the centre of the galaxy and you can do it all over again. It's all about discovery. Now they expect us to want to stay in one place with the bases? What the hell is that?! I have yet to find a planet that looks like the original trailer: tall pink trees with rivers and golden plains and deer-like creatures drinking and a giant beast killing everything, and birds an all that. All I see are barren wastelands and the exact same animals everywhere I go. The game expects me to enjoy these horrible environments so much that I'd want to stay in one of them? The skys are green, the terrain is barren, the creatures are boring and/or hostile and I wouldn't care if Santa stormed into my room on Christmas Eve with no presents, he just broke No Man's Sky for me. In fact, I'd thank that memelord for doing me a favour and for doing my House a great justice, in the Clause name.

Compare that to Subnautica, which has hand-crafted environments, great creatures and POSTERS. The god damn POSTERS are enough to get me excited. So, yea, Subnautica's a game that needs Base Building, since you aren't gonna abandon your base in a day or two (in game). No Man's Sky base building is an unnecessary waste of resources and time, and it needs to find its own end game.
    p5b4q0tfq88f.jpg

It is difficult to beat that level of adorable.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    yomama wrote: »
    I got it for $20 on Amazon for PS4...at that price, I have far more forgiveness than for a $60 game

Im gonna wait for a 70% sale on that game or something ... Steam's holidays deals are just around the corner so im gonna be on the lookout for it then :wink:
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    edited December 2016
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    I actually talked in the "Subnautica: Next No Man's Sky" thread about base building. About how they were vastly different since Subnautica had an endgame when it came to base building, and No Man's Sky did not have an endgame (that god damn ending still pisses me off).

Now I'm going to talk about how absolutely stupid it is that they introduced base building into this bucket of memes.

The whole concept of the game is that you hop from planet to planet discovering new creatures and natural structures until you eventually reach the centre of the galaxy and you can do it all over again. It's all about discovery. Now they expect us to want to stay in one place with the bases? What the hell is that?! I have yet to find a planet that looks like the original trailer: tall pink trees with rivers and golden plains and deer-like creatures drinking and a giant beast killing everything, and birds an all that. All I see are barren wastelands and the exact same animals everywhere I go. The game expects me to enjoy these horrible environments so much that I'd want to stay in one of them? The skys are green, the terrain is barren, the creatures are boring and/or hostile and I wouldn't care if Santa stormed into my room on Christmas Eve with no presents, he just broke No Man's Sky for me. In fact, I'd thank that memelord for doing me a favour and for doing my House a great justice, in the Clause name.

Compare that to Subnautica, which has hand-crafted environments, great creatures and POSTERS. The god damn POSTERS are enough to get me excited. So, yea, Subnautica's a game that needs Base Building, since you aren't gonna abandon your base in a day or two (in game). No Man's Sky base building is an unnecessary waste of resources and time, and it needs to find its own end game.

Part of the point of base building in NMS is being able to go back to your favorite planet on your journey to the center of the galaxy. To have a place called home that you can go back to whenever you need some time to recharge from the journey. All it takes is going to a space station and teleporting back home, then teleporting back to the space station.

If you find a better planet, then you can just claim a new home base. Half of your resources put into the old base seem to be refunded and anything put into storage containers requires the storage container to be built in your new base to reclaim the items stored within.

Scanning a planet from space indicates which hazards are present on a planet based on the materials present. Coryzagen indicates it is a freezing planet, Temerium indicates it is a freezing planet, Fervidium indicates a scorching planet, Candensium indicates a radioactive planet, and Spadonium indicates a barren planet. So any planet that doesn't have these materials means that you don't have to worry about hazard protection which helps reduce the number of planets you visit if you want to play it safe and have a chance of a vibrant ecosystem, but there are some desolate planets mixed in. If you don't want to play it safe, then radioactive and toxic planets should give some interesting ecosystems to explore.

My current base is located on a "paradise planet" where it is a green world with extremely low amounts of vegetation and all the wildlife hops around. The paradise planet designation is from the game and not my personal opinion. I guess the designation is due to everyone on the planet is jumping so the inhabitants must be happy about something.

Edit: There is also the option of using a Freighter as your home base if you think constantly teleporting to a home planet is problematic. One of the problems with Stargate Universe was the communication stones which allowed the main characters to go back to Earth whenever necessary which defeated the suspense of being stranded on a starship that is headed into the unknown. So NMS allows players the option to rely on Freighters or Bases if they want. However, the Freighter costs just over 7 million to purchase the first one with 13 slots containing a maximum of 1,000 resources or 10 crafted items for each slot and it does allow base building.
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    I'm not quite sure how true that is, having never played NMS myself, but while other games may have modular building as well, the systems in Subnautica and NMS bear far more than a passing resemblance. I doubt it was entirely of their own design.

Seriously - you haven't even played NMS but you're certain they're ripping off Subnautica. Holy crapsnacks!

And yes it is utterly 100% true that modular building (i.e. what both Subnautica and NMS have) is extremely common. That's why we have a term for it. Modular building.

Just a few current examples.

Skyrim - so popular they released it twice!

Kerbal Space Program

Empyrion Galactic Survival - has Minecraft style block building but also allows players to design and apply their own modules

Astroneer (out soon)

None of them ripped off / drew inspiration from Subnautica. They just all opted to use modular building.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    It also could be possible both games drew inspiration from something else, but I kind of tend to doubt it. Could be, though.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    (that god damn ending still pisses me off).

I haven't played NMS and was pretty neutral towards it up until the content controversy stuff... But despite my lack of investment, when I saw Angry Joe's video about it and saw that ending I was livid on behalf of the people who played the game. That's a major slap in the face, I mean, JEEZE.
    Skyrim is technically modular building, though incredibly limited compared to literally anything else that has it. (What do you mean I can have a library OR a kitchen? What kind of house is this?! Being Thane isn't all its cracked up to be.)

The description of NMS above about the building bit makes me think a lot of Starbound, just without the story or the ability to actually make colonies full of people.