Is Subnautica DRM free?

itworksitworks Join Date: 2016-11-27 Member: 224288Members
According to this thread on Steam:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/0/412447613561814267/

Subnautica is DRM Free. Yet I can't find the game on the linked list there:

http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

So, is it DRM free or is not?

Comments

• Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    What does DRM free mean?
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited November 2016
    What does DRM free mean?

You know how a lot of Electronic Arts and Ubisoft games have those annoying things running in the background and stuff when you launch the game to make sure your game is 'legitimate'? Or require you to be online at all times even when playing solo in a campaign mode? Means the game lacks stuff like that.
  • itworksitworks Join Date: 2016-11-27 Member: 224288Members
    edited November 2016
    In this case it means whether it can be started without Steam.

Lots of games on Steam are actually independent from the client. Just for example: Game Dev Tycoon. You can copy its folder from the Steam folder, delete Steam and the game is still able to run. The list above (http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games) lists all those games. Subnautica was apparently listed there also, but now I can't find it there anymore.
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    I doubt it has anything more then steams api hook not atm anyway.

Certainly never seen anything anal... like online only, bullshitforce that can make your disk explode and mangle your opticdrive or any of the craps that require periodic connection to some server that will inevitably disappear.

None of them accomplish anything at the end of the day. Except screw over legitimate users, if someone wasn't going to buy it they won't buy it, just devs forking more money to some random shmucks that provide nothing of use except potentially degrading performance or flat out taking away access to product people payed for... They do help publishers hide their buckets of vomit so people can't see just what kind of sack of garbage they are getting. *cough* dishonored 2 *cough* love how all "reviewers" give it glowing scores... yet user reviews on steam average at about what? 1.5 out of 10? I scrolled for 10 minutes trying to find those illusive positive reviews that steam claims to have... I found 7 in 10 minutes of mindless scrolling. Ugh. CD Project Red proved a point that if your product isn't crap, if it is done right and people aren't treated like shit you don't need any drm to break the bank. If you are Ubisoft however... online only with no locally stored data of any kind is the best. I still remember their glorious response to me when PoP3 manged a dvd in my dvd-rw that wasn't even in circulation yet. "Not our problem, its your fault for not talking to starforce to make sure your hardware is compatible with their software, talk to Starforce", didn't put a dime in their pocket in past decade.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited November 2016
    If it's DRM-free, they should put the game up for sale on Good Old Games (GOG) as of like yesterday!!.

EDIT: just bumped an old thread regarding this.
  • JoeakuakuJoeakuaku USA Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215614Members
    I remember on a crack copy/pirate copy webpage (not that I've ever pirated this game - got my parents to let me buy it soon after finding out about it because of Markiplier's videos last December) the cracker mentioned the 'developer'(s) added crack protection.
    Joeakuaku wrote: »
    I remember on a crack copy/pirate copy webpage (not that I've ever pirated this game - got my parents to let me buy it soon after finding out about it because of Markiplier's videos last December) the cracker mentioned the 'developer'(s) added crack protection.

He could just be saying that to get you to install his rootkit...
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Joeakuaku wrote: »

They didn't, by the way. I originally obtained this game through less than legal means, and it worked fine. That being said, when I finally got enough spare cash I was quite happy to purchase it legitimately, as I think a lot of pirates are.
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    edited November 2016
    Clearly Subnautica isn't DRM free.

It's not yet out of Early Access, so you can't take the EA out, making it DREAM.

And then, this thread.

On the other hand, I suppose they're free DReaMs, so maybe that still counts.
    Vote in this poll. (GOG related)