About having to come up to the surface...

Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
Something's been bugging me. I've recently seen Markiplier's latest episode of the game. Here's the vid:

One part got me thinking (around 11:26). Mark drowned extremely near the surface when he got the "10 secs of oxygen" warning. He was swimming horizontally at around 20 meters deep, which is shallow enough to get back to the surface before drwning. Now, it's either cause Mark was really dumb, or it's because the oxygen warning isn't obvious enough. That's what I want to discuss about.
Let's compare to reality. When you need oxygen to get back up to the surface, you immediately know it cause your body lets you know. Whereas in the game, the only warning we get is from the AI, and then from the screen blackening. I may only be fearmongering or even wrong about this, but I don't want to immediately jump to the conclusion that this is a serious problem or that Mark is a pure idiot :p
So I want to know your opinions on the subject. Should the need for oxygen be made more obvious?

Comments

• SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Maybe when at zero oxygen for the first few times that it happens, have the AI yell something like "Return to the surface immediately! Why didn't you listen to me!"
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    I don't think the problem is Mark or the game, but rather that having to perform while playing is going to be a distraction. I also suspect he's forgotten about the spacebar letting you ascend straightaway as he should've been able to surface with the time he had left.

It would be nice if the 30 second warning would not occasionally be skipped, but otherwise the warning system is fine.

He still doesn't seem to have figured out that holstering your held item makes you swim faster either, but in his defense he has been away for a while - though he really should have heard the AI alert about ten seconds remaining. Probably would have too, if he wasn't talking at the moment :P
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    I don't think the problem is Mark or the game, but rather that having to perform while playing is going to be a distraction.

I agree with this. He was sorta talking over the ten second warning to boot. That didn't make it any less painful to watch when he did it, but still... markymoo what are we gonna do with you?

• EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    He's an idiot.

And not just because he died.
  • OguaguOguagu Finland Join Date: 2016-11-19 Member: 224081Members
    He's an idiot.

And not just because he died.

That's a nice attitude right there, roight dere mmMMMM RIGHT THERE!
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    Remember that Mark has to do commentary, entertainment, AND he hasn't played the game in a while.

I think it's safe to say nobody else is having this issue.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    He did mention that he cheated a lot in the game. And thanks to that he didn't worry about things like having to breathe and carrying items in your hand. Using cheat codes a LOT (instead of just when you're stuck and can't find a solution) can do that to you...
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    Mark recently returned to the game after many months of not playing (July 13), and as he mentions in the new video he used cheat codes a lot for convenience and for accessing late-game content earlier. He did get the "10 second warning" audio prompt in the video, but was too busy admiring the game and talking about his plans and progress for the game, and quite honestly he just wasn't paying attention. Also note that as the screen goes black he does realize what's happened and regrets messing up. Not to mention that this time he's not using any information or advice to play the game (outside of the YouTube comments) so he can learn naturally what most of us have learned already and take for granted.
    He's an idiot. And not just because he died.

You sir, can go jump into the abyss. Markimoo is lovable and charming, while you are abrasive and curt. I shall bite my thumb at thee! :angry:
  • ThosarThosar Join Date: 2016-08-14 Member: 221302Members
    Speaking more directly to the OP question...

The only issue I see is playing without sound, which for some people is necessary. I think making the O2 bar flash red when less than 10 seconds remain isn't too obnoxious, but helps when you can't have sound on.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    Actually when the screen goes black the first thing he seems to think is that night has come. Well... he said so himself right before stating that he was dumb (after dying). :)
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited November 2016
    Lonnehart wrote: »
    Actually when the screen goes black the first thing he seems to think is that night has come. Well... he said so himself right before stating that he was dumb (after dying). :)

What's fun is that this is the second time he's died because he was too busy rambling to notice the oxygen meter / warning, but to be fair this time he was honestly distracted AND has the defense of having not played in mooooonths. The first time he was just completely oblivious and even didn't realize what happened until after the recording when he was going over it for editing. To be honest, that was one of his greatest moments in the series, tying for first with blowing up his seamoth by running into a floating rock.

I don't say this in a meanspirited way, but more because it's fun to see his reactions when playing these games. Which is also why I feel it's unfortunate when people spoil a lot of things for him in the comments or when he looks a ton of stuff up in advance like with the episode where he spawned the unimplemented content in. This way, he's not as surprised when he sees the new things since he's already been told about it or read about it himself long before he's seen it naturally. I like seeing him be honestly surprised when seeing something new, but that's a bit off topic sorry ^^;
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    you are abrasive and curt. I shall bite my thumb at thee! :angry:

Heheh that's a win in my book!

No seriously, I have nothing against Markiplier, I don't enjoy his videos but whatever.

I just enjoy winding you guys up. The community here feels like a bunch of friends whom I can abuse without them getting too offended.

knj0oytijti0.jpg
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    Even when you hit 0 and screen fades out you have about 2 extra seconds to surface. If you use something like air bladder I've had situations where I was 20 meters down with 0 and I still surfaced just fine.

Yes there is no, up in your face, visual indication for oxygen warnings but you are given a lot of leeway otherwise.
  • GreybeardGreybeard USA Join Date: 2016-09-24 Member: 222538Members
    edited November 2016
    Well, I'll start with this, just as a starting point: SN is not real. Not all of it is based on realism. Now, that said; the O2 system. Well, air gauge systems have readouts to give you information as to how much air is available. What you do with that information is up to you. I'm no professional diver, but I'm guessing they might even make an audible beep (SN has a vocal warning). As for oxygen deprivation, I could see possibly adding a longer struggle time and audible cues from the character (gasping/grunting) and perhaps a longer gradual buildup of a visual cue (pulsing/closing view).

All THAT said, your air is your life in SN. The game is BUILT on the fact you're underwater. Just as with a racing game, you should be watching your speed, in SN you should be watching your air... carefully... all the time... period. Except on land, derp! I don't mind the current system, nor do I care if they change it. I've only ever drowned in SN a handful of times, and generally because I misjudged on depth vs air time. Just my 2 cents.

P.S. I'm one of those old fashioned gamers who thinks "let's plays" are silly because I would just play the game myself. To each his/her own, obviously.
    That would make drowning a bit more dramatic/traumatic and upsetting vs 'oh well, I died.' I used to think the same thing @Greybeard then I found Mark and Jack's channels. There is something about them that are so much more entertaining than simply playing them, or watching their channels for games you might like or similar things. Besides, they have more games than I do :sunglasses:

• GreybeardGreybeard USA Join Date: 2016-09-24 Member: 222538Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    That would make drowning a bit more dramatic/traumatic and upsetting vs 'oh well, I died.' I used to think the same thing @Greybeard then I found Mark and Jack's channels. There is something about them that are so much more entertaining than simply playing them, or watching their channels for games you might like or similar things. Besides, they have more games than I do :sunglasses:

I certainly don't want to turn this into a "love or hate let's play" thread, so just to finish up...

I'm sure some "Hosts" are entertaining in various ways, and never would I tell someone how to spend their time, so please don't misunderstand where I come from. To add a bit more perspective, given a choice to either play video games or watch tv, 98% of the time I choose the first. In fact, I choose video games over most things. (I visit forums for games I'm currently really into while going to bed, or on the "throne". Or while waiting for SN to load, HA HA!). I am occasionally forced to watch a show here and there with my wife, LOL! Also, I will check out Twitch or YouTube when looking for gameplay to help me decide on a game purchase.

For better or worse, I am very passionate about video games, always have been, and spend as much time playing games as I can. What can I say?.... I LOVE VIDEO GAMES. really... i do.......
    Oh no, I didn't mean to say that as a start to an argument/ off-topic thing, just thought it was interesting since I had the exact same perspective at one point. I don't think I was really going anywhere with that, I tend to post late at night after work and my brain is a little cooked after 10 hours in the kitchen, lol. I believe you love this game as much as or more than I do. Cheers!
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited November 2016
    Whatever you think of Lets Plays an sich, the biggest benefit of them is simply mouth-to-mouth advertisement. Just off the top of my head, the games I discovered through Lets Plays are the Lisa series, RPGMaker adventure games in general because people kept calling them RPGs so I never bothered with them until LPs showed they were not RPGs but adventure games, Lumen (and through that Broken Puppet), Sort the Court, Dropsy, Among the Sleep, Knock-Knock, Five Nights at Freddy's and its alikes (Monstrum and Spooky's House are my favs), Tormentum, Don't Starve, and of course Subnautica.

Just saying, LPs aren't so much "watching or playing" as they are "watching then playing".

Wasn't there some story that Jack's LPs of SN kept the game alive?
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Yeah, I'm probably just fearmongering over this. Nvm :p
    Wasn't there some story that Jack's LPs of SN kept the game alive?

Yeah, he did actually:
    Now I just found something really interesting. Do not watch the entire video if you want this to stay on-topic, just the first few minutes are relevant.

Jacksepticeye's vids of Subnautica actually saved UWE from going bankrupt? That's amazing!
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    So if it wasn't for slap happy jack, the game company could have... sunk...
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    edited November 2016
    On a side note, when you are about to drown underwater, your body does not always let you know - free divers die fairly often from this phenomena, actually. When you get that feeling that you 'need to breath', what is really happening is your Carbon Dioxide levels are dangerously high, triggering a response from your brain that tells you to get some more O2 and expel the CO2. Free divers who hyperventilate and then dive don't get this 'need to breath' feeling when the CO2 levels in their blood reach dangerous levels. Sometimes they simply blackout and drown, without ever experiencing the 'need to breath' feeling at all.

Let's compare to reality. When you need oxygen to get back up to the surface, you immediately know it cause your body lets you know.

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Greybeard wrote: »
    Ralij wrote: »

I certainly don't want to turn this into a "love or hate let's play" thread, so just to finish up...

I'm sure some "Hosts" are entertaining in various ways, and never would I tell someone how to spend their time, so please don't misunderstand where I come from. To add a bit more perspective, given a choice to either play video games or watch tv, 98% of the time I choose the first. In fact, I choose video games over most things. (I visit forums for games I'm currently really into while going to bed, or on the "throne". Or while waiting for SN to load, HA HA!). I am occasionally forced to watch a show here and there with my wife, LOL! Also, I will check out Twitch or YouTube when looking for gameplay to help me decide on a game purchase.

For better or worse, I am very passionate about video games, always have been, and spend as much time playing games as I can. What can I say?.... I LOVE VIDEO GAMES. really... i do.......

Move SN to SSD if you have one, see my sig. Load times went from 3+ minutes to 45-50 seconds.
  • LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
    The OP is called Darwin-Evolution, yet wants even the dumbest of our species to survive in the alien ocean, this aint how natural selection works and thats a part of the whole thing!
  • QuillQuickcardQuillQuickcard Deep Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-11-22 Member: 224131Members
    If you want to duplicate the real effects of hypoxia, the clearest visual cue would be increasing tunnel-vision eventually leading to blackout. A decrease in peripheral vision around 10 or 5 remaining seconds could serve as a secondary visual aid for the hearing impaired without the need for a flashing HUD, and it would be representative of actual hypoxia.