Devs are asking for any final polishing ideas for 1.0 in this thread in /r/subnautica

0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
edited November 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
I'm sure they check the feedback in this thread as well, but hey! (Also a chance to organize your ideas into a comprehensive list / upvote others who already submitted the same idea)

Especially if your idea was in response to someone else's thread, I'd re-post a list of all your ideas that would be considered a final touch of polish here: https://www.reddit.com/r/subnautica/comments/5b4yqh/subnautica_polish_we_want_your_feedback/
Hey Subnauts! We are quickly headed for Subnautica 1.0 and I wanted to get everyone's opinion on what they would like to see in the final game. We know we have a lot of bugs left to fix, and optimization left to do; and we plan to get as much done as we can. That said, we also want to make the game as sexy as possible and adding some spit shine to various elements of the game will really help that along.

We want to get your feedback. What things would you love to see in Subnautica 1.0 that's not in there now?
Check the roadmap to make sure we're not already planning to add the feature you would like! https://trello.com/b/KbugnSRJ/subnautica-roadmap

Here's an example of what polish IS:

• The planets move too fast in the sky, you should slow them down.
  • FOV slider
  • Make the stupid lifepod stop drifting!
  • I would love it if the label on the storage create was easier to click.
  • You should add a way to turn on/off beacons and icons, they clutter the screen too much.
Here's what polish is NOT:
  • Multiplayer
  • More submarines
  • It would be so cool if the base could transform into a robot and fight the reaper.

Bugs should not necessarily be considered on this list, this is more or less for small, new features or enhancements/minor changes to current ones.
Upvote your favorite items and if they are reasonably easy to add in or worthwhile we may pick them for 1.0.
And for the love of Sammy The Safety Reaper: Multiplayerisnotapolishitem!
Edit: Formatting
Edit 2: I'm reading every single thing here! There are some great ideas! Keep em' coming!

Comments

• omegatauromegataur Spain Join Date: 2016-01-28 Member: 212240Members
    please do something to improve the construction tool, is very annoying to keep swimming around the place you want to put something accurately
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I updated my list and probably will continue to do so in the next few days as I recall issues.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    I updated my list and probably will continue to do so in the next few days as I recall issues.

I'm a little surprised you didn't mention being able to manually rotate the Moonpool and placing base rooms in the center of platforms not just on the edges ^^

Agreed with most everything you typed up there; I'd also like to (once again) add the Floodlights being able to draw from base power and power transmitters. They're great for decoration as well as practical use (like building a base at night), but having to go around replacing those batteries... :/
    edited November 2016
    Rezca wrote: »

I'm a little surprised you didn't mention being able to manually rotate the Moonpool and placing base rooms in the center of platforms not just on the edges ^^

Agreed with most everything you typed up there; I'd also like to (once again) add the Floodlights being able to draw from base power and power transmitters. They're great for decoration as well as practical use (like building a base at night), but having to go around replacing those batteries... :/

I have "full rotation for all base pieces", which covers the moonpool. Platform placement I did not include because I am the lone individual who does not mind you can't build in the center. Although I did feel cheated too when the Grand Reef base had centered platforms. I could add it next time I update it if you want? Done.

With floodlights, I'm sorta still waiting for lithium batteries and the way those should improve their usage. The wiki currently has them listed as removed along with the accumulator, another thing I've been waiting for. Neither claim is sourced and I deeply hope its not true.
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    edited November 2016
    Since I don't know what the devs are planning on polishing already, I'm not sure what I should include. And of course everything in this list is just one guy's opinion, nothing more.

-Being able to turn on/off beacons (mentioned in the dev post) is good.
    -Being able to read your PDA while seated on a chair or bench is a must, or in bed.
    -Balancing power equipment needs: The spotlight draws WAY too much power, the water filtration machine is debatable (I'd like it to use less power). Battery chargers use WAY to little power, this allows for the Cyclops charger exploit (which should go away). The scanner room should draw power when it's scanning, how much power? I don't know.
    -Are lithium batteries still going to happen? If not then the Seaglide power consumption needs to be reduced. It's too power hungry.
    -The storage lockers on the Cyclops, if they aren't going to be made bigger at least make them 3x4 instead of 2x6 so we can store the Seaglide. Making them 3X5 would be great (hint, hint).
    -Change the creature A.I. so that some creatures follow you up to the surface. Right now you can swim on the water's surface without a care in the world. Or perhaps add a surface predator?
    -Please add conical spotlights to the Seamoth (just like the one's on the Cyclops). This will make the Seamoth MUCH easier to find in the dark, and add some visual continuity.
    -Speaking of visual continuity, why do some scanned items not disappear? When you scan the Seamoth fragments, they disappear, but when you scan the plant pots they don't. I do understand why the Multipurpose room shouldn't disappear when scanned.
    -Please add beacons to the scanner room drones that activate when they detach from the scanner room. This serves two purposes; one, to find the damn thing after you drive it out of range (or the stalkers run off with it), and two, so you can park it next to some fragment or resource you found and then find your way there.

I'll add more when (and if) I think of more.
    Thank you for your consideration.
  • ErnieWErnieW tonasket WA Join Date: 2015-07-13 Member: 206134Members
    fix the bugs; this crash thing some of the things intruding on objects. more life. not near enough to make a biome operate properly. sorry the error is rather glaring at times.
    over all the game is good. I however think that your gonna get a lot of complaints about the game as new players end up dead in game because they have no guidance in this game. this is not an easy game to learn.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    -Are lithium batteries still going to happen? If not then the Seaglide power consumption needs to be reduced. It's too power hungry.

I think they were in experimental, last I checked.
    I think I have "perfected" my list. Does anyone else have anything to add still?
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    Does anyone else have anything to add still?
    I am a little surprised that there aren't more suggestions in this thread. Maybe people are just posting straight to the original Reddit thread.
  • danny2334danny2334 Join Date: 2016-11-10 Member: 223796Members
    maybe a machete or heatblade machete arm for prawn if the add reaps(drops from creatures) in?
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Does anyone else have anything to add still?
    I am a little surprised that there aren't more suggestions in this thread. Maybe people are just posting straight to the original Reddit thread.

I don't know, @DrownedOut has basically said everything I was thinking and then some...
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    -Slight increase in power efficiency for seaglide
    -Glass Roof
    -When I'm in the Cyclops, I shouldn't see through the walls of my base
    -Give a better sense of direction for at least one of the lost river enternaces.
    -Give a better sense of direction for the second and third seabase.
    -Give a better sense of direction of the Lava Castle. After days of playing, have still never seen it. Maybe I suck...
    -XBOX FRAMERATE FIX
    -Cyclops Dock
    -Food Storage
  • SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
    edited November 2016
    -Add in a day/night length slider option to the menu at the start of a new game. (I.e how long each day and night is in real world minutes, from a day/night lasting 10 mins up to 60ish?)

-A world map (that is revealed/created as we explore) that we can add our own markers and notations to. (since dumping beacons everywhere just cluttered up the world view with marker pings.)

-Give the cyclops the sonar mapping function the Sea Glide (and Seamoth addon) have.

-Give us the ability to repair the diving knife when it's nearly ruined. (Having to continually make new ones feels rather wasteful)

-Give us an in game "note pad" To write on. (Helpful when you wish to note down future plans or reminders for your next play session.)
  • PattersonPatterson Germany Join Date: 2016-03-13 Member: 214179Members
    Silveressa wrote: »
    -A world map (that is revealed/created as we explore) that we can add our own markers and notations to. (since dumping beacons everywhere just cluttered up the world view with marker pings.)

MAP !

Everyone has the same experience - while returning from anywhere to the habitat-base you found it: a cave, a wreck, anything of interest, and you have no buoy anymore - or forgotten to built one or already used all of them
    --- and you miss the spot and search in large circles after coming back...again and again. Its a pain, not exploring.

We build high-tech habitats and subs and Exosuits ... and have no MAP - function in our Alterra PDA ( Alterra, remember ? The company that takes care about us with an all-envirement-personal suit just in case of an emergency ..... )

The found and downloaded coordinate signals have a distance - to - receiver information ( meters ) , the signal-buoy must get that function as well.

remove the crash-bugs , and then
    give us this map. Please.
  • HectorroseHectorrose Join Date: 2016-10-16 Member: 223161Members
    Things that I would like to see polished are:

An improvement in the creature ai, because basically its just: are you close- go agro. are you not- kill other fish

I would also like to see less blank space in the precursor gun, because you have to think, what was all that empty space used for, they should add like old precursor ab equipment to it to make it less bland or something like that.

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Here's one: people are asking for maps, or coordinates, etc...

..devs want us to explore, not just steam straight to what we want and go back to our fortress.

...so what if we compromised? Have a very broad set of coordinates able to be bookmarked by the PDA. Have it so broad that upon returning, you still have to go actually find it, but you know the general sector, so you won't wander off to other areas. Sort of like how large the batches are right now, maybe?

It would be like if you made a bookmark for the Aurora drive core, it would make a mark for the whole Aurora -- you would know about where it was, and you wouldn't wander off into another zone while looking, but you'd still have to find it.
  • Julian1337331nailuJJulian1337331nailuJ The Grand Reef Gubtorial Election Or Something. Join Date: 2016-11-12 Member: 223824Members
    edited November 2016
    Or A Map That's Created The More You Travel Having You Know Where You Have Gone And Where You Have Not Gone.
    This Comment Is Edited And I Just Found The Reason Thing.
  • WarzouzWarzouz Join Date: 2016-11-05 Member: 223674Members
    - Directions. Even we don't have GPS (we should have sats which would be shot by the gun. But there are some inertial positioning which is very precise. As the game terrain si 2km*2km, inertial positioning is as precise as GPS.

- The compass is not well readable. Sometime no cardinal appears on the wheel. You have to turn to see where you're going.

- We should have a artificial horizon, especially on the Seamoth and the Cyclops.

- Beacons should be togglable and or color coded from distance in the PDA.

- Signals shouldn't be items but togglable from the PDA as Beacons.

- Glass should only cost ONE QUARTZ

- Base doors should be always open by default and open sequence camera move should be reduce (it gives me motion sickness). Cyclops doors are OK : simple and efficient.

- Please make ladder rotate ! As well as moonpool.
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    edited November 2016
    Going to be a broken record and also mention that PDA is what most likely gets beacon signals, it should have capability to toggle them on and off and probably rename them remotely as well. Lifepod signals, base signals and any other should be done the same way, currently some obscure human inserted object just makes no sense at all, I get it that it was a placeholder but before story comes they should really do away with them.

Thermometer should be default and part of PDA, it does say it has a full suit of monitoring capabilities for vitals and ability to get visual and audio input.

Compass should be an >upgrade< to PDA, like hardened knife or thermal blade etc. I strongly believe it shouldn't be default piece of gear since it changes your ability to navigate drastically. Maybe tied to another object... like a special beacon or require scanner room or something else as point of reference but... that would mess up internal coordinates and your navigation would be arbitrary to how you want it so it's a bit wonky.

Dive reel needs to be finished before 1.0. It's awesome for early game but rope clipping through walls makes it only a quarter as good as it can be.

Seaglide and power consumption need to get sorted out before release. Either reduce the energy use or let us put more then one battery in or what ever but it needs to be functional before 1.0 it's a piece of starting gear and it needs to be desirable.

Cyclops storange and upgrades also need to get sorted out before 1.0, animation for steering... a ship that big with bunch of scanning stuff spinning like crazy on top should have some navigational perks.

PDA pictures. For everyone!!! Ahem... but seriously everyone needs wants to be loved.

Think about the story progression and spread fragments accordingly. There shouldn't be weird loopholes that require player to either know where to find something really hard to find... or know where one can find a diamond without crazy gear and so forth.

Cyclops initial build cost. The thing is a massive game changer it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg or some crazy rare resources since those are for >upgrades< not basic hull composition but Cyclops should take a bit more resources then it currently does... double? tripple?

Vehicles and tools that use an energy source but don't have an energy source as building requirement should be built without one. A minor thing yes... but it would be consistent with the rest of the world and make for a nice little detail.

None of seeds/spores should take more then 1 unit of storage. Spore from a mushroom should not take as much space as an oxygen tank. Some other items need their size re-evaluated.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    I have two request both for Oculus:
    Have an option for the animations to be turned on/off
    Stop the terrain from glitching out
    As an aside, if the devs could give us a few Craig McGill logs, that'd be sweet. It's sort of part of people asking for more snarky PDA messages; I love the obnoxious and utterly irrelevant stories about a guy whose plight has been solved ages ago.
  • Jones108Jones108 Join Date: 2012-12-10 Member: 174670Members
    edited November 2016
    Pretty nice feedback. Here is my small list:

- I would love it if the label on the storage create was easier to click.

- Thermometer should be default and part of PDA.
    - Add a day and night length slider.
    - Let us repair the knife.
    - Ladders rotate.
    - Glass roof.
  • Julian1337331nailuJJulian1337331nailuJ The Grand Reef Gubtorial Election Or Something. Join Date: 2016-11-12 Member: 223824Members
    Idea 1. Elevators. Reason? So That We Could See The Place And Get To Destinations Faster.
    Idea 2. Base Part Upgrades. Reason? I Don't Know. Maybe So That You Could Get It Stronger?
    Idea 3. Batteries For The Base. Reason? For Power Storage. The Name Might Sound Stupid. But Its A Separate Room For Power To Be Stored. This Is Where The Upgrades Come In.
    Idea 4. Prawn Starting At MK 1 Then Going To MK 3. Reason? I Don't Know. So That You Can Start Out With Something Cheap But Not As Good As The Final Upgraded Version?
    Idea 5. Turrets. Reason? For Defense. And A Usage For The Upgrades.
    Idea 6. Research And Engineering. Description. A Separate Room For Gaining The Upgrades, Tools, And Other Base Parts. Plus Fauna And Flora Knowledge. Reason? More Reasons To Explore.
    Idea 7. Animal Research. Reason? To Learn About The Creature By Experence And Not By Scanning And Instant Knowledge.

That's About It.
  • FrustratedFrustrated Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223643Members
    Put the current F3 graphics options into the main menu graphics options, after launch.
    Put in an option to remove your own shadow
  • FlixFlix Join Date: 2016-11-16 Member: 223912Members
    edited November 2016
    The floating lockers need a bit of hit box adjustment. Many time while trying to open them I either wind up picking them up or I activate the rename function. An upgraded version with a built in short range beacon would be very handy as well.
  • MedbotMedbot Safe Shallows Join Date: 2017-01-06 Member: 226212Members
    If you use the repair tool on the sea moth and then enter without unclicking the sound continues to loop forever.
  • CARARbonaraCARARbonara UK Join Date: 2017-01-06 Member: 226250Members
    Hey devs, Could you fix the thing on xbox one where you can't use picture frames, I think they're a really cool mechanic and I'd love to use them, thanks!
  • TheRelmLordTheRelmLord The Void Join Date: 2017-01-04 Member: 226060Members
    Maybe First You Send A Satilite To Space Then Go To Space Instead Of Just Going To Space Without Thinking About Possible Meteors Or Impact With The Planet?