Cutefish Pet

Joeypyle1993Joeypyle1993 Garden Grove Join Date: 2016-10-03 Member: 222822Members
I have been playing Subnautica ever since it was released on steam. I have been eagerly awaiting every update as it comes out. i have also been waiting for the Cutefish Pet to come out as well. It was supposed to go to those that bought Subnautica before the 1.0 Update. Can anyone tell me how and when we will get the pet?

Comments

• maximo101maximo101 Australia Join Date: 2016-10-27 Member: 223413Members
    I just bought the game last week and am loving it.
    Is the v1.0 update - just the retail release Jan 2017 ?
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    maximo101 wrote: »

Yes, it is. Well, February 2017 by the current schedule. And it is unknown yet what you have to accomplish in the game to get it. I await the critter eagerly myself too.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    maximo101 wrote: »

Yes, it is. Well, February 2017 by the current schedule. And it is unknown yet what you have to accomplish in the game to get it. I await the critter eagerly myself too.

I think that it will just be in your steam inventory and it will "find" you in game.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    The predicted evolution of the relationship with a Cutefish:
    - find Cutefish
    - enjoy Cutefish
    - ignore Cutefish
    - get annoyed by Cutefish
    - PRAWN Cutefish
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    1. Find cutefish
    2. Play with cutefish
    3. Breed cutefish in Alien Containment
    4. ???
    5. PROFIT

(Perhaps step 4 is: sell Cutefish babies to Warpers.)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Re-usable Stalker taming bait?
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    - find Cutefish
    - enjoy Cutefish
    - ignore Cutefish
    - PRAWN Cutefish
    - find Cutefish
    - enjoy Cutefish
    - ignore Cutefish
    - PRAWN Cutefish

Alternative to #5:
    Find way to make the damn thing useful by holding it like a Seaglide and making it pull you around.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    You guys are EVIL!!!
    Wasn't there an idea for it to be able to shoot ink at threats? Would be cool if you could get some of it too for an exclusive torpedo or something.
  • IcremunIcremun Join Date: 2016-09-12 Member: 222276Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    Wasn't there an idea for it to be able to shoot ink at threats? Would be cool if you could get some of it too for an exclusive torpedo or something.

Too complex just fire the cute fish out of the torpedo tubes.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    - find Cutefish
    - enjoy Cutefish
    - ignore Cutefish
    - PRAWN Cutefish

I wouldn't if I were you, I hear those things can get a bit... dangerous.
    wdbvxi39mwrj.jpg
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited November 2016
    I know the general consensus is that everyone loves the Cutefish pet and think it's the most adorable thing ever, but I have to respectfully disagree. That thing is hideous! I'm to understand that this was the original Crashfish, but honestly I'd rather have the current Crashfish following me around instead (it's cuter). Can we have the "Cutefish" disabled somehow if we don't want it? Cuz if that thing follows me around everytime I play, it's gonna become fast friends with my Propulsion Gun... :unamused:

And to those who question my motives or tastes, it's nothing against the fish pet; I have a strong aversion to what many people find "cute". Take Final Fantasy XI: the Summoner job can get a combat pet called Carbuncle, who is absolutely adorable! But last year, Square-Enix made an in-game novelty hat based on its appearance; everyone who I questioned think it's the cutest thing ever, but I find it hideous. :|

TL;DR: I don't like the Cuttlefish, I don't want it following me, and will replace its model if I absolutely must.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    - find Cutefish
    - enjoy Cutefish
    - ignore Cutefish
    - PRAWN Cutefish

wdbvxi39mwrj.jpg

And to think that the devs want to have sea dragons patrolling the void to keep people out. Just stick that monstrosity there instead!
  • Joeypyle1993Joeypyle1993 Garden Grove Join Date: 2016-10-03 Member: 222822Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    I know the general consensus is that everyone loves the Cutefish pet and think it's the most adorable thing ever, but I have to respectfully disagree. That thing is hideous! I'm to understand that this was the original Crashfish, but honestly I'd rather have the current Crashfish following me around instead (it's cuter). Can we have the "Cutefish" disabled somehow if we don't want it? Cuz if that thing follows me around everytime I play, it's gonna become fast friends with my Propulsion Gun... :unamused:

And to those who question my motives or tastes, it's nothing against the fish pet; I have a strong aversion to what many people find "cute". Take Final Fantasy XI: the Summoner job can get a combat pet called Carbuncle, who is absolutely adorable! But last year, Square-Enix made an in-game novelty hat based on its appearance; everyone who I questioned think it's the cutest thing ever, but I find it hideous. :|

TL;DR: I don't like the Cuttlefish, I don't want it following me, and will replace its model if I absolutely must.

If the pet comes as a code you wont have to actually use it as on the main menu is a promo code bar.

I think the cutefish is adorable, but I share the sentiment of not wanting to hold hands every second of my life with it. Pets in games are fun when they add something meaningful to the experience, not when they are mandatory. I want cute interactions and maybe some usefulness (the aforementioned ink, transfuser serum), but I also need to be able to tell it to go play with its shadow or something.
  • Joeypyle1993Joeypyle1993 Garden Grove Join Date: 2016-10-03 Member: 222822Members
    One of the suggested means for the Early Access buyers to gain the Cutefish in-game is via an egg automatically spawning in the first Alien Containment the players build - this is not final and will be subject to change.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members

I myself found the cutefish's smile somewhat unsettling. I do like the interaction options- the high fives especially! I really do hope we can make use of it though- I would love being able to hang onto it and use it sort of like a seaglide.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    The cutefish's face reminds me of a puffer fish. They too have a great big smile.
    4HljVqm.jpg
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited November 2016
    I'm really glad people have been constructive to my post; I didn't make it to troll anyone or bash the little guy. I just find the Cutefish unsettling to look at, and regardless of appearance I don't want it following me around.

If the pet comes as a code you wont have to actually use it as on the main menu is a promo code bar.

According to my first link above from the Trello, they're thinking of adding the Cutefish as a Steam Inventory item that the game will check for and spawn the fish in-game, regardless of game mode or story progression. I really like Subnautica and want to show my support for it; having an early-access gift that other Steam users could see would be fun. I could likely delete the Inventory item to prevent it from spawning, but I don't want to give up the trophy that anyone after 1.0 launch won't ever get. :(

I myself found the cutefish's smile somewhat unsettling. I do like the interaction options- the high fives especially! I really do hope we can make use of it though- I would love being able to hang onto it and use it sort of like a seaglide.

When I first learned of the Cutefish and its ever-present nature, my first ideas for it were "infinite food" and then "infinite biofuel"... I'm horrible. :pensive:
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    They could have an option to spawn it in, i.e. you always get the egg but then you have to hatch it yourself - so just stash it somewhere and forget about it.
    Once hatched I could see it being just a little troublesome at times if you wanted to be alone, so maybe they'll have a command to tell it to go wait back at the lifepod/base/etc or "just wait here".
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Rezca wrote: »
    They could have an option to spawn it in, i.e. you always get the egg but then you have to hatch it yourself - so just stash it somewhere and forget about it.
    Once hatched I could see it being just a little troublesome at times if you wanted to be alone, so maybe they'll have a command to tell it to go wait back at the lifepod/base/etc or "just wait here".

Just make it able to be picked up, and put in Alien Containment, or a small aquarium. Then you can have it as a regular fish pet, not as one following you in the wild.
    The cutefish's face reminds me of a puffer fish. They too have a great big smile.
    4HljVqm.jpg

The resemblance is uncanny.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    - find Cutefish
    - enjoy Cutefish
    - ignore Cutefish
    - PRAWN Cutefish
    - find Cutefish
    - enjoy Cutefish
    - ignore Cutefish
    - PRAWN Cutefish

Alternative to #5:
    Find way to make the damn thing useful by holding it like a Seaglide and making it pull you around.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    You guys are EVIL!!!

:wink:
  • That_Gaming_Guy1That_Gaming_Guy1 A Strange Water Planet Join Date: 2016-04-30 Member: 216198Members
    edited November 2016
    - find Cutefish
    - enjoy Cutefish
    - ignore Cutefish
    - PRAWN Cutefish

wdbvxi39mwrj.jpg

And to think that the devs want to have sea dragons patrolling the void to keep people out. Just stick that monstrosity there instead!

you would actually want it. it will protect you to the end. and by the end i mean the end of the game as it can never die. ever.
    - find Cutefish
    - enjoy Cutefish
    - ignore Cutefish
    - PRAWN Cutefish

wdbvxi39mwrj.jpg

you would actually want it. it will protect you to the end. and by the end i mean the end of the game as it can never die. ever.

SUPER PET!!