Power cell charging in Cyclops

Recon777Recon777 Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215505Members
Is it true that you can charge power cells for free in the cyclops? If so, that should definitely be fixed.

Comments

• ClovilahClovilah turn around Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223583Members
    I have one in my Cyclops, this is not true. It's useless in fact because it's just a cycle lol
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Clovilah wrote: »
    I have one in my Cyclops, this is not true. It's useless in fact because it's just a cycle lol

If you have a full Cyclops charge, and, let's say you have 2 power cell chargers, like me, and you fill them, so 4 power cells charging from a fully-charged (6-cell) Cyclops.

When those 4 power cells are charged, you won't have even drained 1 of the Cyclops power cells. So yes, it is true. However, the Cyclops lacks an alternative for charging (that I know of) besides hauling out the power cells by hand and charging them in-base, so until they implement a method for the Cyclops to charge itself, I'd say leave it the way it is. After they figure that out, though, definitely needs fixing.
  • Recon777Recon777 Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215505Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

If you have a full Cyclops charge, and, let's say you have 2 power cell chargers, like me, and you fill them, so 4 power cells charging from a fully-charged (6-cell) Cyclops.

When those 4 power cells are charged, you won't have even drained 1 of the Cyclops power cells. So yes, it is true. However, the Cyclops lacks an alternative for charging (that I know of) besides hauling out the power cells by hand and charging them in-base, so until they implement a method for the Cyclops to charge itself, I'd say leave it the way it is. After they figure that out, though, definitely needs fixing.

You guys sure? Because the folks on Reddit have been saying that you can get infinite power by putting power cell chargers inside the cyclops and then use those to replace the empty ones once they are depleted. For certain with the power efficiency module, but perhaps even without it.
    Recon777 wrote: »
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

You guys sure? Because the folks on Reddit have been saying that you can get infinite power by putting power cell chargers inside the cyclops and then use those to replace the empty ones once they are depleted. For certain with the power efficiency module, but perhaps even without it.

That's what I just said, that you can charge 4 power cells and not even use a full charge from one of the six in the Cyclops power supply sockets.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    This definitely works... I wouldn't call it a "bug" however. Exploitable? Most definitely. But not a bug.
  • clubs12clubs12 texas Join Date: 2016-11-03 Member: 223619Members
    how does ones car recharge the battery when its in use could be the same idea here.
    clubs12 wrote: »
    how does ones car recharge the battery when its in use could be the same idea here.

Easy. It converts (part of) another power source (gasoline, or diesel) into electrical energy, and stores it in the battery.

It goes like this:

The engine converts energy stored in gas using a thermal reaction (combustion)
    The engine also converts some of that energy into electricity to run your electrical stuff (for gasoline, that's especially important, as the spark plugs use electricity to fire off the gas mix, but both gas and diesel both have electrical fuel pumps as well) using the alternator, including charging the battery.
    Why does it need a battery? Well, in order to run electric stuff when the engine is switched off, but more importantly, to turn the engine over to start it when it's not running.

This knowledge can actually be used to diagnose a bad alternator (or bad connection to alternator) vs a bad battery. If you have a bad battery, the car will run fine once it's been jump started by a car with a good battery (because the alternator is producing electricity and everything is fine). But once the car has been shut off, it won't start again (this means the battery either isn't getting a charge because of a bad connection, or is bad and isn't holding the charge. If the battery was good and the alternator was bad, the battery would slowly run down while the car was running and then the car would stall out once the battery didn't have enough charge to run the necessary spark plugs, fuel pump, Engine Control Unit, etc).
    Now to quickly confirm the alternator is bad, get the car running, and unhook the battery. If the alternator is good, the car will keep running. If it's not, the car will die as soon as no electricity is available to run the important bits not powered mechanically by the engine.

How does this apply to the Cyclops and your question?

Easy. The Cyclops is all-electric. There is no reactor, no thermal plant, no solar, no Biofuel plant. Only Power Cells. Same with the Seamoth, and the SeaGlide (uses smaller batteries).

Unless there is another source of power for the Cyclops that's not documented yet, which is highly unlikely, or it wouldn't need 6 Power Cells, and it would never run them out (because they would be charged by the other power source, just like the gas engine in your car recharges it's battery.

Do you understand that or should I simplify it a bit?
  • ErnieWErnieW tonasket WA Join Date: 2015-07-13 Member: 206134Members
    got 800 power in the base, got a transmission Crystal on top and i park near the crystal. while i charge power cells it seems a bit of a problem that the sub does not keep a charge. i would like the reactor to be built in the space in front of the engine room it seems like that would be the fix for several things like keeping the sub charged, and the moth or prawn. it would also give you the power to discourage the critters. those bloody leaches are a huge pain in the butt.