A better Seamoth vs PRAWN?

harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
Just recently got the PRAWN working, and while it is quite cool, and interesting - I'm beginning to wonder just how valuable it really is. The Subnautica world is rife with narrow canyons and caves and other not-easily navigable places. How would you ever get a PRAWN into those sort of areas? I understand you can take it via Cyclops to anywhere - but still - it seems like it will be a PITA to get it into any place of real interest. And I've read comments that the suit itself has probs... SO:

The Seamoth is such a cool 'sports car of the deep' - it it SO maneuverable and is such a joy to fly. How about rather than putting any further work on the PRAWN - lets have some serious updates to the beloved Seamoth!

Seamoth needs the depth options of the PRAWN - plus some grappler-arm features so we don't have to leave it to gather materials. ASIDE: It also desperately needs some form of night-time illumination so it isn't so easy to loose in the dark, when outside!). Actually, not much else is really needed - the 'moth is pretty damn good as it stands!

Long Live the SEAMOTH! B)

Comments

• P4R4D0X1C4LP4R4D0X1C4L Louisiana, USA Join Date: 2016-10-13 Member: 223086Members
    Prawn is awesome once you get a jump jet. It'll get you where you need to go
  • P4R4D0X1C4LP4R4D0X1C4L Louisiana, USA Join Date: 2016-10-13 Member: 223086Members
    I like where you're going with this, but if you start giving the Seamoth some of the same upgrades as the P.R.A.W.N., doesn't it kind of start to become unnecessary to use one of the two? I hardly even use my Seamoth anymore because I can go anywhere I want with a PRAWN and Cyclops.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    The whole point of the PRAWN's greater depth capacity is that it can reach places the Seamoth can't. Upgrading the Seamoth would lessen the use of the other three vehicles and will therefore not happen. Same for the grappler-arm features; different vehicles for different functions. If you want to stay inside while gathering stuff, pick the PRAWN.

I have yet to take my PRAWN far since the last update. What with the Cyclops disappearing glitch still being in effect, I am postponing a visit to the deeper biomes until the next update. I therefore have limited insight in how the new energy balance affects the PRAWN, but at least before the PRAWN was a fine vehicle with as much versatility as the Seamoth, just differently distributed. It takes a little longer to get somewhere with the PRAWN (although I think that in part is because I have not yet had the time to learn to navigate from the seafloor the way I have from above), but its safer (predators & temperature) and comes with a drill (optionally). Walked it all the way down into the ALZ once to fetch sulphur. Then walked it all the way back up to base. Twas very doable.
  • harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
    Ok - guess I haven't worked with the PRAWN enuff yet to fully appreciate it. Does seem a bit clunky at first, tho...
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    You can always grapple the wall and recharge jets, for unlimited vertical ascent. Also, you can carry around spare arms and switch them around as needed.
  • AyradyssAyradyss Join Date: 2016-08-29 Member: 221864Members
    I really would like to see the SeaMoth get a depth upgrade to be similar to the Prawn suit in depth capability. (Technically, the SeaMoth's nearly spherical design seems like it should be -better- able to withstand pressure and be reinforced than the oddly-shaped PRAWN that appears to have little room for reinforced plating and such, considering all the hydraulics needed and . . . you get the idea.)

Sure, we shouldn't make the PRAWN obsolete, but then you shouldn't make the 'Moth obsolete either. I would be against adding grasper arms and such to the SeaMoth though -- that does step on the PRAWN's toes. But comparable depth capabilities would be very appropriate, IMO.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Ayradyss wrote: »
    Sure, we shouldn't make the PRAWN obsolete, but then you shouldn't make the 'Moth obsolete either.
    The meme of "Oh its better at some things so that instantly makes it better at EVERYTHING and you never need anything else ever!!!!" needs to die.

They are two different vehicles for two different purposes, each with their own strengths and weaknesses facilitating the need for the other.

Frankly, trying to "upgrade" the Seamoth to completely invalidate the PRAWN is just pointless fanboyism towards a fictional submarine and is cancerous to the game's balance and continued development.
  • AyradyssAyradyss Join Date: 2016-08-29 Member: 221864Members
    Wow, I don't understand where you're coming from. The purpose of the SeaMoth is primarily exploration/scouting. The purpose of the PRAWN is primarily mining/resource gathering.

Giving the SeaMoth greater depth upgrades just allows you to scout out deeper areas more readily. If you want to get out there and mine those resources, that's what you use the PRAWN suit for.

I think I -DID- say not to give the SeaMoth any manner of grasping/mining appendages, didn't I? Oh, yeah, right there in the rest of my paragraph that you -DIDN'T- quote:
    Sure, we shouldn't make the PRAWN obsolete, but then you shouldn't make the 'Moth obsolete either. I would be against adding grasper arms and such to the SeaMoth though -- that does step on the PRAWN's toes. But comparable depth capabilities would be very appropriate, IMO.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Oh, yeah, right there in the rest of my paragraph that you -DIDN'T- quote
    I didn't think it needed to be addressed for the simple fact that the PRAWN in no way invalidates or obsoletes the Seamoth, due to the aforementioned role differences.

• harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
    Well this "fanboy" (whatever the hell THAT is) says: DUMP the PRAWN - the Seamoth and "Super Seamoth" should RULE!
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    You can make the Seamoth a bit more visible by painting it in the Vehicle Modification Station
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited October 2016
    The inability to access some cramped spaces, and the depth limitations of the Seamoth are intentional design choices on part of the devs. The Seamoth is really intended to be used in the early game, by itself, or as quick transport between shallow bases. Late game, players are supposed to be loading the PRAWN on the Cyclops for deeper and deeper missions.

Wrecks, reef structures, and caves are meant to be explored manually (Dive Reel, Flares, Flashlight, and Light Stick). You can use drones, but those are purely exploratory with an emphasis on risk assessment. The whole point is that this game mechanic is to make the game actually a challenge. If you could Seamoth everything the game would be boring, and dull. I don't see this suggestion being implemented at any time in the future becasue it deviates in the opposite direction the game have been moving. In fact, I can tell you right now it's not going to happen. With the exception of some tweaking, there are not going to be drastic depth buff for the Seamoth.
    Sure, we shouldn't make the PRAWN obsolete, but then you shouldn't make the 'Moth obsolete either.
    The meme of "Oh its better at some things so that instantly makes it better at EVERYTHING and you never need anything else ever!!!!" needs to die.

They are two different vehicles for two different purposes, each with their own strengths and weaknesses facilitating the need for the other.

Frankly, trying to "upgrade" the Seamoth to completely invalidate the PRAWN is just pointless fanboyism towards a fictional submarine and is cancerous to the game's balance and continued development.

This is the gist of things. Both vehicles, like different tools, are designed for different mission roles - and are not meant to be interchangeable. Otherwise we'd just give the Cyclops teleportation, invulnerability, and shrinking powers. Heck, building the Cyclops should just win the game.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    Wow, I don't understand where you're coming from. The purpose of the SeaMoth is primarily exploration/scouting. The purpose of the PRAWN is primarily mining/resource gathering.

Giving the SeaMoth greater depth upgrades just allows you to scout out deeper areas more readily. If you want to get out there and mine those resources, that's what you use the PRAWN suit for.

I think I -DID- say not to give the SeaMoth any manner of grasping/mining appendages, didn't I? Oh, yeah, right there in the rest of my paragraph that you -DIDN'T- quote:

This point is null.

That is a misrepresentation of the game's current design. The Seamoth is an early game asset the player uses to explore shallow biomes. Around mid to late game the player will have the opportunity to find PRAWN fragments. At the very same time the players get the PRAWN, they will start to realize the Seamoth isn't meant for pure, deep exploration - that bit is left to drones. The PRAWN is meant to collect resources in inhospitable environments, and unlock the ability to mine larger resource nodes to support late game progress.

Dumping an overpowered craft in the player's lap is going to ruin the game's progression. Stop suggesting based on personal, momentary preference, and try to think about what's best for the game overall.