Build 311 is now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited October 2016 in NS2 General Discussion

Build 311 is now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

It’s crazy to think it has been four years since NS2 was launched and even more so to think that many of us were playing Natural Selection 14 years ago....

Read the full story here

Comments

• remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    Can you clarify
    "Made lights more spooky"
  • AdambeanAdambean Cardiff, South Wales Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53038Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
  • migalskimigalski Boston Join Date: 2014-07-02 Member: 197181Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    TinCan wrote: »
    Can you clarify
    Nope. :)

The spooky stuff isn't that major, but I want people to experience it first hand so they get a sense of discovery rather than just reading it in a changelog.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Undocumented change, everyone can have up to 4 badges now and the old pax badge is no longer additive to the hive badge count. (previously 3 + 1)
    remi wrote: »
    Can you clarify

The spooky stuff isn't that major, but I want people to experience it first hand so they get a sense of discovery rather than just reading it in a changelog.
    Oh, it's also worth mentioning that servers can disable all the halloween stuff, including this, with the command:
    sv_setseason None

• MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can you clarify

Oh, it's also worth mentioning that servers can disable all the halloween stuff, including this, with the command:
    sv_setseason None

Does this include disabling candy throw
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Guys, stop. You're making me think you're going to keep your promises and successfully turn this game around!

But seriously, I feel like development is taking a turn for the better. Now you only have to apply that awesomeness to some of the recent balance changes...

The Infested kinda looks like The Faded, but not quite. Do I understand this right? I would have never expected you to actually release an official second game mode. That's pretty cool. I hope it gets played. Will infected matches appear in the arcade tab?
    If you haven't already, you should probably notify some gaming press websites about this, along with plans for ns2's future. Shouldn't waste this opportunity to create publicity.
    Players can now see who the enemy commander is during pre-game, to help get games started faster

Such a simple change and yet such a great one.
    All map readyrooms have been made more spooky (Thanks Zavaro, Flatrectomy, and Samus!)

Flat, we thought you were dead D:
    (not really)
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    Is there going to be a way to see a mods list again? Not really sure how to get my Dot crosshairs back...
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I can see infested taking the lonely road of last stand shortly after release. Will be fun, i'm sure, but interested to see how long itd played for.
    edited October 2016
    maD maX wrote: »
    Is there going to be a way to see a mods list again? Not really sure how to get my Dot crosshairs back...
    What do you mean? You should be able to click on mods on the main menu to see the list. Can you attach a screenshot showing your issue?
    2cough wrote: »
    I can see infested taking the lonely road of last stand shortly after release. Will be fun, i'm sure, but interested to see how long itd played for.
    I hope not. I think this gamemode may have more staying power because it in some ways has a more straightforward design and actually sneakily teaches players the existing maps. Last stand had a more complicated design, required custom maps, and had some big issues which could make it feel very stale after a few rounds. The social aspect to Infested should help keep it feeling memorable and fresh. We'll see how the response is, though.
  • Roddy01Roddy01 Join Date: 2016-10-21 Member: 223282Members
    Has anyone else had performance issues with this patch? The last time I played was several days ago and today when I signed in my game turned into a slide show anytime I was fighting or moving quickly in a large space! Halp!
  • PuphBallPuphBall Join Date: 2013-06-06 Member: 185488Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    is the new game mode getting exiled to the Arcade section? lmao
  • HoSoS2HoSoS2 Join Date: 2016-10-27 Member: 223398Members
    Hai,
    I'm also having terrible performance issues with the new patch. Veil appears unplayable now, but this issue appears in other maps, too.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2016
    HoSoS2 wrote: »
    Hai,
    I'm also having terrible performance issues with the new patch. Veil appears unplayable now, but this issue appears in other maps, too.

Please head over to the tech support forum and open a thread there after reading http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131384/ . That's the only way we can fix those issues.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    PSA :

DO NOT USE DX11 FOR THE TIME BEING.
    Use DX9 fullscreen.

@HoSoS2 @Roddy01
  • nanonoobnanonoob Join Date: 2016-01-12 Member: 211315Members
    Any gameplay of infested?
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    my performance has taken a serious nose dive even in dx9
    Performance issue has been identified. Fix is rolling out in the next 10 minutes. Thanks for your patience.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Performance issue has been identified. Fix is rolling out in the next 10 minutes. Thanks for your patience.

*Puts pitchforks and torches back in the barn*
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is it only me, or has anyone else got the error "missing required mod ns2" when trying to join a server?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    The performance fix should be live now on all servers.

@deathshroud it was affecting dx11 more, but dx9 definitely still had the issue.

@oldassgamers servers still need updating, and will probably fix themselves after a map change. Just now I was able to join some servers but not others as a result. It'll settle out in a bit.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2016
    Lessons to learn from a free weekend, in relation to all these years they actually happened.
    1.you won't get as many players as you expect until you actually make the game free to play because no one will advertise freely for you for a weekend
    2.the servers you host are inappropriate, vanilla NS2 is completely troublesome, people won't play on it unless they're in a niche country without servers
    3.It's a waste of money, see UWE in early NS2
    4.The servers performance is terrible.
    5.Just go free to play.

edit:singapore is a needy country, and your disagreement doesn't make sense, tell me why i am wrong.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2016
    Archie wrote: »
    Lessons to learn from a free weekend, in relation to all these years they actually happened.
    1.you won't get as many players as you expect until you actually make the game free to play because no one will advertise freely for you for a weekend
    2.the servers you host are inappropriate, vanilla NS2 is completely troublesome, people won't play on it unless they're in a niche country without servers
    3.It's a waste of money, see UWE in early NS2
    4.The servers performance is terrible.
    5.Just go free to play.

edit:singapore is a needy country, and your disagreement doesn't make sense, tell me why i am wrong.

Your points about the servers are not even closely true as there is a new server hosting system in use now.

There are both extra vanilla and modded servers hosted by us in all regions (it's up for the users to choose). And the performance on all of them is great (it's a AWS EC2 C4 instance cluster which can scale with demand).

BTW you see the current amount of players looking for a server as "+ x" in your server browser as well ;)
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2016
    i was just on a rookie server that had 11 players and the idle was at 30 they had just sarted playing, 3.5ghz isnt scaling even with haswell servers, tickrate wont drop but performance will, can you remove the Aussie servers? we'll scale as needed, perhaps you can host a chinese server instead?

edit:forgot to say thanks to ghoul, it was kind of obvious you were going to.host since a couple of months ago.

edit:amazon should be pretty cheap compared to the original uwe crap haha, keep up that singapore server throw on some mods, get either hairy, fleas, cream, actus or one of the other numerous sg members on

edit3:i realised most of the people on the servers aren't even using there most local ones, mostly russians and the like playing but on aussie servers, interesting.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Btw, rock paper shotgun covered NS2 today: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/10/28/natural-selection-2-free-steam-weekend/
    No comments to judge a reaction from as of yet.
    All map readyrooms have been made more spooky (Thanks Zavaro, Flatrectomy, and Samus!)

Flat, we thought you were dead D:
    (not really)
    I am. That is why I get involved during Halloween. OOoOOoooOOoOooOo...

What's the internet connection through an ouija board like?
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Great article. Thanks for sharing.