Would you pay more for a map / level creation & modding tool(s)?

0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
edited October 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
Games like Freespace 2 that have included modding tools are still going strong after 17 years. (And still bringing in money! <- long term investment for the devs' kids' college funds)

Comments

• EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Modding and custom levels would quite probably extend the game lifespan. People would not still be posting Skyrim videos about the base game alone.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    I love the idea of modding but I sadly don't think it is going to happen.
  • CyionCyion London, ON Join Date: 2016-04-04 Member: 215334Members
    Modding wouldn't work well with the xbox version, that is why PC is better than console. Us PC guys lose out though when games are designed for both systems.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Depends, but they wouldn't devote any of their time into such a thing until the game hits 1.0 at the very least. Fallout 4 managed to get player creations working on the consoles, so it's not impossible to see extensions to the game be present on both platforms, but I don't know what went into getting that to work so who knows if UnknownWorlds would be able to do the same. Even if it's just a PC-only tool though, it might be a nice thing to have.
  • tickeratickera Australia Join Date: 2016-05-06 Member: 216399Members
    I wouldn't pay for it; it should be a steam workshop thing like with gmod
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Cyion wrote: »
    Modding wouldn't work well with the xbox version, that is why PC is better than console. Us PC guys lose out though when games are designed for both systems.

You'd think that the PC modding tools could make a universal level (the resources (maps, sounds etc) are the same anyways..) for both, and, once UW and MS approved, the mod could be downloaded on Xbox.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    The only reason that would interest me is if people would create mods of concept art content that's not in the game, and then it would make more sense to pay more for UWE to implement that stuf instead of spending time on mod inclusion.
  • stevenwojostevenwojo Texas, USA Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222252Members
    Modding tools would be really nice, even if they only allowed it outside the main map, where people could add biomes to what is now the abyss. Even if they never officially allow modding, I'm sure people will figure out a way to do so. Many games that never had any "official" modding tools have been modded extensively. Modding tools just makes it easier, both to mod and to install mods. Though most games that have extensive mod support are generally multi-player, it seems. (I'd be surprised if there weren't at least some modders out there digging into the code as you are reading this, trying to figure out how to make a multi-player mod.)
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited October 2016
    It depends on what it is really. For Subnautica I would pay more to have a procedurally generated map, and more randomization in where stuff is found and how the story can play out (even though I'm happy with how things are now). Now I will say there were two old FPS I used to play, Tribes and its sequel Tribes 2, where the base game was fine on its own. But a particular modding group called Shifter really added pizzazz to the core game: 7 custom classes vs the 3 original ones, new weapons/equipment/deployables, able to choose which abilities you wanted, and an improved scoring system.

But all that said, I think I'd rather have the creators support the game with additional content (future updates, DLC, Subnautica II, etc) and have more reliable content than rely on 3rd-party modders to add questionable quality content to the game.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    But all that said, I think I'd rather have the creators support the game with additional content (future updates, DLC, Subnautica II, etc) and have more reliable content than rely on 3rd-party modders to add questionable quality content to the game.

If they did that I wouldn't mind. But modding support would mean even after that, it's possible a dedicated group of modders would make the game live on indefinitely, with alternate plot lines, additional content / updates, and even total conversions. See: Freespace 2 for a good example of that (I'm sure there are others, and if anyone knows, I'd be interested to hear of them. Usually that level of dedication means the source material is also very good, or at least had a great deal of potential, on release).