The Carar is getting worked on~

LeonDOGELeonDOGE France Join Date: 2016-01-16 Member: 211525Members
... and it's in-game (Experimental) right now, swee- omg that's horrifying~

IEeeqEM.jpg

Comments

• Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    Ehhhhh, I thought it would look a little worse. Still cool though!
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Reminds me of every boss in the Dead Space games where you have to shoot the yellow puss bits.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    Does it spread to the other creatures?
  • LeonDOGELeonDOGE France Join Date: 2016-01-16 Member: 211525Members

Affects 1% of the total population only, including the player.
  • HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    Reminds me of every boss in the Dead Space games where you have to shoot the yellow puss bits.

First you fire out a Doom reference (a while ago, I think - BFG, wasn't it) and now a Dead Space reference. Proud of you hehe :tongue:
    LeonDOGE wrote: »

Oh! I thought it efected nearly every creature on 4546B. But that doesn't answer my question. Does it spread from creature to creature in the game. Like, you see one creature with it and then you see it growing on another.

• JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    edited September 2016
    1% is still a lot, when you just think how much life there is in the game. I made a new world and already there are 2 Carar-Infected dudes swimming around. I can fit them in one shot :
    ygg5u5mfsh1b.png
    It's a little hard to spot, but there's an infected Peeper on the left hand side of the screen and an infected Rabbit Ray on the right in the background; 2 of my 3 favourite creatures in this game (another being the Reefback). If I find a Carar Reefback, I swear...

Exhibit B: I was trying to get a picture of this Carar Rabbit Ray I found when a Hoopfish just swam past. There was a Garryfish there, too, but it swam away before I could get a good picture :/
    n5isi8c5yghk.png
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Effect is only a temporary effect and is not final.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Obraxis wrote: »

Since the effect's not final, I have an idea as to what it could look like. It's basically a bit like an insect infected with the cordyceps fungus. Here's what it looks like (I've spoilered the following images in case there are people who have a phobia of this sort of thing):
    3t2hli2jlglm.jpg

k9i47cv011m5.jpg

cr6m369b9hqu.jpg

4o1g7vviqjgw.jpg

w8dlcs274sjk.jpg

It looks gross, I know, but at least it looks like a "proper" infection. It was also the sorce of inspiration for The Last of Us.
  • awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members

Since the effect's not final, I have an idea as to what it could look like. It's basically a bit like an insect infected with the cordyceps fungus. Here's what it looks like (I've spoilered the following images in case there are people who have a phobia of this sort of thing):
    3t2hli2jlglm.jpg

k9i47cv011m5.jpg

cr6m369b9hqu.jpg

4o1g7vviqjgw.jpg

w8dlcs274sjk.jpg

It looks gross, I know, but at least it looks like a "proper" infection. It was also the source of inspiration for The Last of Us.

NOOO! XD This is terrifying! Carar is gonna be terrifying and gross. Those images are actually a real infection.
  • TheLordEternalTheLordEternal The Earth Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206851Members
    3t2hli2jlglm.jpg

k9i47cv011m5.jpg

cr6m369b9hqu.jpg

4o1g7vviqjgw.jpg

w8dlcs274sjk.jpg

That's a fungal infection though and the Carar is bacterial in nature. (Don't search that up on google, It's not too bad, but it's also not very pretty.)
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    It has all the appearance of a Bug in game. I even made a bug report on it in the forums, because it covers up the player model and acts like a huge pile of seaweed between you and the rest of the game - and its displayed on non living objects like your lifepod. This is in Stable/Survival, btw, not just Experimental.
  • Tom2121Tom2121 USA, VA Join Date: 2016-09-04 Member: 222057Members
    Been seeing them all over the Place!
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    I was under the impression that the reason why the warpers were after us was because that the player had the Carar disease too, yet theres no effect on the player that i can see .... maybe the player is affected by a very early stage of the disease so that theres no visual effect yet?
  • ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members

3t2hli2jlglm.jpg

k9i47cv011m5.jpg

cr6m369b9hqu.jpg

4o1g7vviqjgw.jpg

w8dlcs274sjk.jpg

It looks gross, I know, but at least it looks like a "proper" infection. It was also the sorce of inspiration for The Last of Us.

YES like the clickers
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Why do we see the Carar so early? Why not have it appear slowly after you visit the Precursor Gun?
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Why do we see the Carar so early? Why not have it appear slowly after you visit the Precursor Gun?

I had the same thought as you when I first saw it, that new players would see it to early. But when I thought about it it made more and more sense. For starters, it's in the water, and there's no escaping this story element. Everything in the water has a chance of getting infected. Then, when it comes to new players, they'll be going around seeing these glowing green creatures and will be thinking "What's that, then?". When they progress in the story they find out that it is an illness and that THEY'VE got it too, and that their ship got knocked out of the air because of the disease. It is a really cool feature in my eyes :)
  • The08MetroidManThe08MetroidMan Join Date: 2016-09-23 Member: 222527Members
    edited September 2016
    LeonDOGE wrote: »

Actually, according to the Subnautica Trello, it looks like 10% of the game's population spawns in as infected - and it can transmit to other creatures if you put an infected in a tank with other creatures.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Because every game needs a zombie mode these days. It's right there in the Steam contract.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    I was under the impression that the reason why the warpers were after us was because that the player had the Carar disease too, yet theres no effect on the player that i can see .... maybe the player is affected by a very early stage of the disease so that theres no visual effect yet?

If you check Trello, you can get more details. And spoilers.
    They haven't finished up the plot and player-infected animation yet, I believe.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    Rainstorm wrote: »

If you check Trello, you can get more details. And spoilers.
    They haven't finished up the plot and player-infected animation yet, I believe.

Ahhh i see, makes sense :smile:
    So it'll come eventually, as i noticed this lil card on the Trello recently

theres also another card that appeared recently depicting player-related carar