How to save the Rock Puncher!

Comments

• Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    I do think that that speed would suit, yes.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited September 2016
    Captagear wrote: »
    @DrownedOut
    Like this? haha
    Lava_Zone_Concept.jpg

Heh, like that. I can't check rn (waiting for a new graphic card; my current one is taken out), but would the bottom of the Underwater Islands be a good location? I recall finding it disappointingly empty, but I don't recall if the terrain is even enough to make programming walking creatures simple.
  • CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    @DrownedOut
    I wonder how far the Devs got on its actual AI package, hmm? I'd be interested if they finished its navigation/walking :O (The animations were done so yeah :))
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    I dont think that the Rock Puncher belongs in the ALZ/ILZ, maybe a reskin to fit those biomes and maybe a slight alteration of the PDA entry.
    Found this on the 'Save the Rock Puncher' Thread:
    #SaveTheRockPuncher
    We should use it on all the rock puncher saving threads.
    Found this on the 'Save the Rock Puncher' Thread:
    #SaveTheRockPuncher
    We should use it on all the rock puncher saving threads.
    I put it in my signature B)

edited September 2016
    @Captagear, what do you mean by 'put it in my signature.
    Edit: do you mean the bottom bit?
    @Captagear, what do you mean by 'put it in my signature.
    Edit: do you mean the bottom bit?

yep
    How do you do those anyway?
    @Nautical_Nick go to profile, then edit profile. Then finally click signature settings :)
    edited September 2016
    Oh okay!
    Edit:Done!
    To quote myself from my discussion:
    EDIT: Apparently I missed an older thread where a Dev said the following:
    Despite what the Trello board says, Rockpuncher is not on the chopping block because of the removal of the Terraformer. It's because we only have so much time to devote to new creatures, and that guy is a pretty complicated one to design and program. I'm sure he'll make it into the game at some point, even without the terraforming ability, if not for 1.0 then hopefully for a post release update.
    I really hope they are still considering this! :)
  • ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
    helloimbob wrote: »
    what's the rock puncher

Hwo cant you know :(
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    I feel as though Rock Punchers should should walk around in the mountains and surround the base of the mountain island and punch all of those rocks over there. I would also really like to see a Rock Puncher path running through the Dunes, beneath all of the Reapers (somewhat mirroring the Sea Treader). This way you can watch as Reapers glide down to gobble up a Rock Puncher when the dude just bats it away back into open water, and the Reaper goes about its business like nothing ever happened :)
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    They could also act like mines. If you steer your sub too close they punch it and take off a large chunk of hull integrity
  • MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
    Simply, they should just wander around everywhere and chop those large drillable chunks. This will make those resources viable also before the player gets exo drill.
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    They could also act like mines. If you steer your sub too close they punch it and take off a large chunk of hull integrity

Lovee this haha! xD
  • Hammy2211Hammy2211 Join Date: 2016-10-18 Member: 223218Members
    I didn't know this thread existed, so I ended up creating one that was pretty similar.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/145756/suggestion-on-alternate-role-for-the-rock-puncher#latest

I think mine could both save the Rock Puncher and make flooding more of a threat.
  • TigerTankSniperTigerTankSniper Join Date: 2016-01-20 Member: 211735Members
    Hammy2211 wrote: »
    I didn't know this thread existed, so I ended up creating one that was pretty similar.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/145756/suggestion-on-alternate-role-for-the-rock-puncher#latest

I think mine could both save the Rock Puncher and make flooding more of a threat.

Its okay, there are MANY other threads like this, there will be many more once this thread dies.
    edited October 2016
    Dies hehe, never ;)

EDIT: I'm back :D
  • ookasmcplookusookasmcplookus Join Date: 2016-10-22 Member: 223300Members
    I like the ideas about having it associated to the large resource deposits. Especially if it spawned them rather than cleared out an area and bypassed the whole prawn suit drill arm mechanic. Why not have it be sort of an upgraded version of the sea treader such that its method of bottom feeding is to smash into the ground to reach worms or other subterranean creatures burrowing around under there (this only needs to be explained in its PDA entry, don't actually have to add worms). When it does so, it pushes up large resource deposits around it which it will sometimes go back to clear from its feeding ground to keep it clean (not spawning the associated resources so as not to bypass drill arm). This would need to be designed so that there is a range in the amount of deposits a rockpuncher will have around it at any one time (perhaps when it detects x, it will go about breaking x*0.8). The ones that it does leave around the player can drill with a prawn suit to get the associated resources.

I also like the idea about them having a vendetta against bases. Perhaps they see these as large foreign objects in their breeding grounds that they also want removed to keep it clean. I especially like these proposed functions for it because I think it would also work in very well with my long list of suggestions in which perhaps a hatched rock puncher would be an upgrade to a hatched sea treader or perhaps it provides the bulk resources while the sea treader provides the rare ones. Then to defend the base, once again a hatched reaper would be used to keep them at bay.

All in all, yeah, #SAVETHEROCKPUNCHER
  • raziel29araziel29a Nosgoth Join Date: 2016-10-17 Member: 223205Members
    Since rocky the puncher was removed due to terraforming being dropped out maybe you could just skip the terraforming part of rocky. For example, you could make him punch the ground thus creating several rocks like sea traders create basalt crops at the moment. Then he could throw them in defense when attacked or approach too close or something. Those rocks would have limited lifetime like the basalt crops mentioned earlier so he wouldn't terraform anything.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    raziel29a wrote: »
    Since rocky the puncher was removed due to terraforming being dropped out maybe you could just skip the terraforming part of rocky. For example, you could make him punch the ground thus creating several rocks like sea traders create basalt crops at the moment. Then he could throw them in defense when attacked or approach too close or something. Those rocks would have limited lifetime like the basalt crops mentioned earlier so he wouldn't terraform anything.

Oh, yes! A lite version of the Sea Treader resource creation would be nice. Have them range around Kelp Forest, and have a chance of spawning silver occasionally.

Better yet, the game could possibly track how much of various resources are available, and when the player starts to run low on something in an area, it could quietly activate a few routines to alleviate the lacks.
    There had been so many suggestions on this topic aye! hahaha :)

I'm sure at this point the devs know of the large community backing of Rocky

btw, anyone like the easter egg idea I proposed on the general thread about this? As in the devs should put something in (i.e. poster) to hint at the community love of this big ol boxer! :-)
    edited October 2016
    There had been so many suggestions on this topic aye! hahaha :)

I'm sure at this point the devs know of the large community backing of Rocky

btw, anyone like the easter egg idea I proposed on the general thread about this? As in the devs should put something in (i.e. poster) to hint at the community love of this big ol boxer! :-)
    Yeah I like your poster idea!
  • LeechSoupDotYumLeechSoupDotYum Join Date: 2016-02-24 Member: 213378Members
    Please devs if you ditch rocky you will break our heart :(
  • smellslikebleachsmellslikebleach Join Date: 2016-12-22 Member: 225337Members
    Necro Posting!

Yes and No.
    Also, who cares?! To my knowledge it's not against the rules.
  • lucashc90lucashc90 Brazil Join Date: 2017-01-05 Member: 226176Members
    I would love ta see this giant crab punching the S out of my own base just for the sake of it.