how did the aurora crash?

2»

Comments

• dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    DagothUr wrote: »
    I don't understand how the damage we see in the on the Aurora when loading the game would de-orbit such a big ship.

I don't understand how fire burns in space, or why it would look like wind was blowing against it. ;)

Oxygen was being combusted as the pressure sucked it out of the ship, causing that effect. :wink:
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    I don't understand how the damage we see in the on the Aurora when loading the game would de-orbit such a big ship.

I don't understand how fire burns in space, or why it would look like wind was blowing against it. ;)

Well that's simple. The fire is feeding off of the air escaping from hull breaches. The smoke moving away from the ship like that could be explained by:

A) the shape of the hull breaches is blowing it outward and back

b) the ships engines are still firing, so it's accelerating while the smoke is maintaining a constant speed

c) it's on a the very edge of the atmosphere, with just enough air to provide some resistance to the smoke, which has little mass.
  • AlexHoundAlexHound St. Peterburg Join Date: 2015-10-23 Member: 208694Members
    sayerulz wrote: »

Well that's simple. The fire is feeding off of the air escaping from hull breaches. The smoke moving away from the ship like that could be explained by:

A) the shape of the hull breaches is blowing it outward and

b) the ships engines are still firing, so it's accelerating while the smoke is maintaining a constant speed

c) it's on a the very edge of the atmosphere, with just enough air to provide some resistance to the smoke, which has little mass.

• AlexHoundAlexHound St. Peterburg Join Date: 2015-10-23 Member: 208694Members
    How did "Aurora" crashed: "Aurora" fell from the orbit. And so Aurora crashed )
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    *attempts to replace the Seamoth power cell with a can of refried beans to see if his own theory of why the Aurora deorbited is true*...
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Lonnehart wrote: »
    *attempts to replace the Seamoth power cell with a can of refried beans to see if his own theory of why the Aurora deorbited is true*...

"Now my Seamoth won't run! It only farts..."
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    sayerulz wrote: »

A) the shape of the hull breaches is blowing it outward and back

I like it! See, things can make sense if we try! :smile:

• cheetored20cheetored20 cheetored20 Join Date: 2016-06-14 Member: 218564Members
    edited August 2016
    the aurora was clearly not made for re-entry nor landing and a for a slingshot manouvere (what the aurora was doing) the woud not be close enough to a planet to touch it atmosphere or it should have corrected it earlyier also i think that the aurora had a lot of doors to make hul breaches les of a problem and air leaves a ship very quickly. in films and games it takes way to long for air to escape from a room of a spaceship. and the reason i think it had many doors around the hole is becease otherwise the player running to his pod would be viontly sucked somewhere,

there is a little thing called areobraking, you slow down using a planets atmosphere. its used for saving fuel.
  • SanguisDiabolusSanguisDiabolus Join Date: 2016-07-30 Member: 220790Members
    Terrazin wrote: »
    Ooooh sassy.
    The OP is over-analyzing the science of a ship getting knocked out of orbit, when it's a science fiction game taking place on an alien planet, which already requires you to suspend the disbelief of existing technology to GET to said planet.
    The simple answer to his question is exactly what I posted.

And is probably what he already knows. I can see your point but your reply wasn't really what this topic is about.

The point is the people making this game are game developers, not astrophysicists. So it's pointless to have a discussion over science that the people who made the game likely never considered in the first place.
    It's a game meant to be played, enjoyed, and experienced. Not a simulation whose accuracy and validity is in question. There are a TON of things in this game that make no sense realistically, but they are issues that are pushed aside to allow the game to be fun and not a chore.
    In short, arguing over how the ship crashed into the ocean serves no purpose, since there is no way to come up with a definitive answer.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    q8krcl0hayj9.jpg

I'll just leave this here.
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    This isn't entirely related to this thread, but it's close enough: my current favourite theory is that someone shot down the Aurora because their pet stalkers were running out of metal to play with. No other reason.
  • TerrazinTerrazin Germany Join Date: 2016-03-01 Member: 213688Members
    In short, arguing over how the ship crashed into the ocean serves no purpose, since there is no way to come up with a definitive answer.

This isn't a discussion on how to make the game better or anything. The purpose of this topic is simply discussing said astrophysics for the sake of it. In short: for the lulz.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    edited August 2016
    Terrazin wrote: »

In short: for the lulz.

So is my theory of the Aurora deorbiting because someone tossed a can of refried beans into the reactor still valid? ;)

• koekiegsastkoekiegsast netherlands Join Date: 2016-07-26 Member: 220674Members
    aurobraking is for braking and a slingshot manouver is for speeding up so no they where not aurobraking when they flew allong and aurobraking burns a ship too, the theorie about the damaged navagition system sending the ship into the atmosfhere seems like a good theorie to me. but about the discovery that ships where shot out of orbit beceuse they where infected seen on a pda in the precurser gun base meens that the virus is spaceborn and infects insanly fast, interesting.
  • cheetored20cheetored20 cheetored20 Join Date: 2016-06-14 Member: 218564Members
    edited September 2016
    aurobraking is for braking and a slingshot manouver is for speeding up so no they where not aurobraking when they flew allong and aurobraking burns a ship too, the theorie about the damaged navagition system sending the ship into the atmosfhere seems like a good theorie to me. but about the discovery that ships where shot out of orbit beceuse they where infected seen on a pda in the precurser gun base meens that the virus is spaceborn and infects insanly fast, interesting.

actually ships ALSO need clearance from the system to enter orbit, not just leave orbit, if they dont get it they get shot down, at least thats the impression i got from the pda