how did the aurora crash?

koekiegsastkoekiegsast netherlands Join Date: 2016-07-26 Member: 220674Members
i don't understand how the damage we see in the on the aurora when loading the game would de-orbit such a big ship. if a laser hit it the thing woudent even move beceuse a laser is focused light wich makes things realy hot, it doesn't move it. if it was a railgun wich shot the aurora then it would have moved but looking at the damage and the facht that railguns are made to make a straight hole in something and not blow stuf up i dont think that is what hit the aurora. whatever it was what hit the aurora it woudnt cause it to de-orbit, to de-orbit it it would have to be slown down a lot and these inpacts only pushed or rotated it a bit, i know that because the power stays on in the auroro while falling and even when it exploded meaning that after the hit the enirtia damper should stil be on to stop the ship from spinning and moving. this means that the aurora got pulled or pushed towards the planet with something like a tractor beam wich also means that who ever shot it down wanted the ship and the crew.

also i dont think a dark matter drive is going to be happening, and dark matter is as radioactive as a banana.

and the fire on the aurora while it was falling to the planet trough space aint possible neither since there is no air in space and fire needs air to burn.

what do you guys think about this?

Comments

• SlackerstuSlackerstu Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217432Members
    I see where you are coming from but have to add a few insights.

- fire in the crash sequence is likely fueled by escaping environment from within the aurora though it should be reduced a bit and blue like a forced flame from a propane burner until entering the atmosphere where it finds more oxygen available and can burn bright yellow.

- You are right most weapons would not carry enough inertia to alter the coarse however if propulsion failed at a critical moment before an orbital slingshot it may not be able to complete or avoid the planet.

- It is suspected right now that there was a saboteur aboard the aurora. Likely there was tampering with navigation and communications but also looks like some of the damage may be caused internally.

- engine core radiation: it is never said that the engine runs entirely off of dark matter but may rather just be a catalyst in the reactions of a more traditional power system. ( very small amount used to focus or enhance a more traditional system) sooo when it blows it scatters whatever else the engines were running off of to create the radiation field. If this is truly dark matter as we conceive of it now any amount leaving the core during the breach would have canceled itself on normal matter almost instantly after leaving the controlled environment of the engines.
  • MrRoarkeMrRoarke Join Date: 2016-05-16 Member: 216830Members
    The simplest answer is "willing suspension of disbelief," meaning the story has to have some stimulus for starting, so this was it. Scientific accuracy always takes second-place to storytelling in Science Fiction.

The beginning narration says something like a "plasma burst" struck the Aurora. If the Aurora's engines were put offline (or exploded as in the illustration), then she would be susceptible to uncontrolled reentry because she would be unable to maintain orbit. If she was already headed into the atmosphere for landing, and the "plasma burst" whatever disabled the engines or attitude controls, then she would be susceptible to an uncontrolled reentry and subsequent crash.

Inertial dampers are fictional devices created to answer a simple physics problem (just like the gloriously clever "Heisenberg Compensator). Nobody knows how inertial dampers work. In Star Trek at least, they're REALLY unreliable, since they're always the first things to go off-line in an emergency. Followed by the warp core ejection system.

The fire on the loading screen first of all should be explained by "Destruction is cool and fire is pretty." If you really wanted an explanation for it, my assumption is the fire was being fed oxygen from escaping atmosphere from within the very large habitable volume of the Aurora or by escaping oxidizers from the propulsion system. Or both.

Ultimately, this is a science fiction game focusing on underwater exploration. The simple narrative of "got shot down, now stranded" will not stand up to deep scrutiny, because it shouldn't need to.

Just sit back, hit the "I believe" button, and enjoy the game.

Cheers,

J
  • TerrazinTerrazin Germany Join Date: 2016-03-01 Member: 213688Members
    There is no real evidence that the Aurora was in a stable orbit when she was hit. Could be she was approaching the planet and was about to correct her course for a stable orbit when she was hit by whatever it was.
  • GMasterHDGMasterHD Munic Join Date: 2016-07-26 Member: 220681Members
    I think that have been tampered with passengers the ship wantonly a group. They did not want that a person lands on the Subnautica planet. They wanted to kill all passengers and this lava castle built in the hope that no one finds it.
    (What is the name of Planet Sbnautica?)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    About the radioactivity of bananas... Maybe they have a Mr Fusion
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    You see a blue flash through the escape pod window followed by an explosion on the aurora. My guess would be a plasma technology energy projection weapon using charged particles to induce unhealthy amounts of electricity and heat onto the target, frying electronics, melting cables and overloading generators, together with firestorms in the corridors from molten, burning and evaporated hull material.

This happened while the Aurora made a slingshot maneuver to course correct, but at a lower altitude as they wanted to scan the planet as per their secondary mission parameters. With the engines misfiring and failing, orbit deteriorated and with no one able or available to correct the course, gravity did the rest. That's why the pods and the Aurora are so close together: They both basically went free fall.

The loading screen with the burning Aurora is more concept art than canon. Just compare the engines: Loading screen one is damaged, in game they are all structurally intact. While a household chemical fire needs oxygen to burn, a plasma fire caused by ruptured energy lines can as well evaporate material into glowing dust, which is what fire is made out of. once in the atmosphere, the ship kept burning conventionally.

Also, is it a 'dark matter drive' core or a 'dark matter' drive core? The latter could be used to fuel whatever else the FTL drive is utilizing to achieve its effect. My hypothesis is that they use a dark matter reactor to produce exotic matter on demand for the drive to utilize so rampancy issues from accumulating exotic matter can be avoided. The process produces high amounts of gamma radiation that needs to be contained in the reactor with the reactor field.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    Something had to have shot the thing down. Probably a very high intensity energy weapon that punctured or otherwise damaged its Dark Matter Drive. It's not like the thing could be easily taken down by throwing the contents of a can of refried beans into the reactor core...
  • GingerNguyenGingerNguyen USA Join Date: 2016-07-26 Member: 220671Members
    I don't understand how the damage we see in the on the Aurora when loading the game would de-orbit such a big ship.
  • SiegeSiege Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219769Members
    I don't understand how the damage we see in the on the Aurora when loading the game would de-orbit such a big ship.

Perhaps the massive damage from the weapon caused a failure in the navigation systems and the ship zigged when it should have zagged.

A simpler explanation: A wizard did it.
  • koekiegsastkoekiegsast netherlands Join Date: 2016-07-26 Member: 220674Members
    the aurora was clearly not made for re-entry nor landing and a for a slingshot manouvere (what the aurora was doing) the woud not be close enough to a planet to touch it atmosphere or it should have corrected it earlyier also i think that the aurora had a lot of doors to make hul breaches les of a problem and air leaves a ship very quickly. in films and games it takes way to long for air to escape from a room of a spaceship. and the reason i think it had many doors around the hole is becease otherwise the player running to his pod would be viontly sucked somewhere,
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    *ahem*

I've attempted to explain events leading up to Aurora's crash in the story 'Aurora Falls', in the General Discussion forum.

Note: A certain degree of 'suspended disbelief' may be required to fully appreciate this tale.

There's also a few MacGuffins scattered about to cover my woeful lack of knowledge in the fields of advanced particle physics, cosmology and xenobiology. The underwater physics I've used are pretty solid, though. Former SCUBA diver. :)

Please, enjoy.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    The chief engineer was stoned and peed on the electrical grid.
  • SiegeSiege Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219769Members
    Could also be the ship had a Capissen-38 engine. I hear those fall right out of the sky.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Siege wrote: »
    Could also be the ship had a Capissen-38 engine. I hear those fall right out of the sky.

Yea, don't fly in anything with one of those.
  • SlackerstuSlackerstu Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217432Members
    DagothUr wrote: »
    The chief engineer was stoned and peed on the electrical grid.

Limited gravity bong technology is complicated and there was an accident...
  • BrokenGamez77BrokenGamez77 United States Join Date: 2016-07-26 Member: 220689Members
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    I still think someone threw a can of refried beans into the dark matter reactor core, causing the engines to explode from passing dangerous amounts of explosive gas...

In all seriousness I can't wait 'til the devs add something that hints at what caused the crash. :)
    "A fire, a little one," he says.

The Deliverator says nothing. Because he knows that all of this is going onto
    videotape. The tape is being pipelined, as it happens, to CosaNostra Pizza
    University, where it will be analyzed in a pizza management science laboratory.
    It will be shown to Pizza University students, perhaps to the very students who
    will replace this man when he gets fired, as a textbook example of how to screw
    up your life.

"New employee -- put his dinner in the microwave -- had foil in it -- boom!"
    the manager says.
  • MouldybaconMouldybacon Northkorea,USA Join Date: 2016-07-25 Member: 220641Members
    Now I watched a video on a bit of this and the aurora was attempting a slingshot manoeuvre around the planet so if it had been shot then it could have de orbited it Aswell as that there is some small evidence that someone on-board had tampered with the ship
  • HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    Banana. That's all I have to say. My work is done.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    HYBRID1313 wrote: »
    Banana. That's all I have to say. My work is done.

Someone give this man an award.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    /minionvoice on
    Bana-na? BA NA NA!!!
    /minionvoice off
  • SanguisDiabolusSanguisDiabolus Join Date: 2016-07-30 Member: 220790Members
    When visiting the floater island and the broken down structures there, you find PADDs containing info on the people who lived there. They say their ship was shot down by some kind of weapon, so they ended up salvaging what they could and establishing a small colony on the island.

Logic would dictate the same thing happened to the Aurora.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    When visiting the floater island and the broken down structures there, you find PADDs containing info on the people who lived there. They say their ship was shot down by some kind of weapon, so they ended up salvaging what they could and establishing a small colony on the island.

Have you ever considered reading the OP of a thread before replying? Just a crazy idea I had......
  • SanguisDiabolusSanguisDiabolus Join Date: 2016-07-30 Member: 220790Members
    sayerulz wrote: »

Have you ever considered reading the OP of a thread before replying? Just a crazy idea I had......

Ooooh sassy.
    The OP is over-analyzing the science of a ship getting knocked out of orbit, when it's a science fiction game taking place on an alien planet, which already requires you to suspend the disbelief of existing technology to GET to said planet.
    The simple answer to his question is exactly what I posted.
  • TerrazinTerrazin Germany Join Date: 2016-03-01 Member: 213688Members
    Ooooh sassy.
    The OP is over-analyzing the science of a ship getting knocked out of orbit, when it's a science fiction game taking place on an alien planet, which already requires you to suspend the disbelief of existing technology to GET to said planet.
    The simple answer to his question is exactly what I posted.

And is probably what he already knows. I can see your point but your reply wasn't really what this topic is about.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    DagothUr wrote: »
    "A fire, a little one," he says.

The Deliverator says nothing. Because he knows that all of this is going onto
    videotape. The tape is being pipelined, as it happens, to CosaNostra Pizza
    University, where it will be analyzed in a pizza management science laboratory.
    It will be shown to Pizza University students, perhaps to the very students who
    will replace this man when he gets fired, as a textbook example of how to screw
    up your life.

"New employee -- put his dinner in the microwave -- had foil in it -- boom!"
    the manager says.

You, sir, have made my whole week by quoting this book.

I don't understand how fire burns in space, or why it would look like wind was blowing against it. ;)