People are too stupid to play NS2. Make an official alternative game mode already.

2

Comments

  • TheriusTherius Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Posts: 750 Advanced user
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    It's just pure cancer of the gaming industry in every conceivable way. Any minor benefit matchmaking gives you can easily be added as features to a server browser..

    How do you click the disagree button twice? Well-implemented matchmaking in a game with a large playerbase is the best thing since sliced bread.

    coolitic2coughMe9amigalski
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Members, Reinforced - Supporter Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Posts: 773 Advanced user
    Therius wrote: »
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    It's just pure cancer of the gaming industry in every conceivable way. Any minor benefit matchmaking gives you can easily be added as features to a server browser..

    How do you click the disagree button twice? Well-implemented matchmaking in a game with a large playerbase is the best thing since sliced bread.

    How can I disagree twice?
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Members, Reinforced - Supporter Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Posts: 773 Advanced user
    Deck_ wrote: »
    ^The advantages to matchmaking is you are playing on a server with equally skilled players and you are all starting the game at the same time. It would be nice in ns2 if you knew by the time you pushed start, you would probably be starting a game within 3 min for example with players of even skill level as you. That would be nice. Or maybe even have the commander picked during this time, that would be efficient.

    Yes, you could do that on a server browser but it is less smooth. You could end up joining a server in the middle of a round and then offset the balance, you could have to wait to play. You would need different skill level servers and for them all to have people in them. I think the experience of playing a game looks better with matchmaking in today's world.

    It looks like they are thinking about a hybrid matchmaking idea which might be the only way to go about it for NS2.

    I don't think anybody got a problem with good working matchmaking, but many people including me have a big problem when matchmaking is replacing the server browsers or the option to set up community servers in general.

    An NS3 without community servers or server browser would be completely ignored by me.
    Soylent_green
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United StatesMembers Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Posts: 729 Advanced user
    edited August 2016
    Deck_ wrote: »
    ^The advantages to matchmaking is you are playing on a server with equally skilled players and you are all starting the game at the same time. It would be nice in ns2 if you knew by the time you pushed start, you would probably be starting a game within 3 min for example with players of even skill level as you. That would be nice. Or maybe even have the commander picked during this time, that would be efficient.

    Yes, you could do that on a server browser but it is less smooth. You could end up joining a server in the middle of a round and then offset the balance, you could have to wait to play. You would need different skill level servers and for them all to have people in them. I think the experience of playing a game looks better with matchmaking in today's world.

    It looks like they are thinking about a hybrid matchmaking idea which might be the only way to go about it for NS2.

    I don't think anybody got a problem with good working matchmaking, but many people including me have a big problem when matchmaking is replacing the server browsers or the option to set up community servers in general.

    An NS3 without community servers or server browser would be completely ignored by me.

    +1 As far as I'm concerned "good working matchmaking" simply does not exist.

    If there's no server browser with community run servers, then there's no point for the game to be multiplayer at all. (and thus no reason to even bother trying to play it)
    Soylent_green
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind youMembers Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Posts: 1,684 Advanced user
    Deck_ wrote: »
    ^The advantages to matchmaking is you are playing on a server with equally skilled players and you are all starting the game at the same time. It would be nice in ns2 if you knew by the time you pushed start, you would probably be starting a game within 3 min for example with players of even skill level as you. That would be nice. Or maybe even have the commander picked during this time, that would be efficient.

    Yes, you could do that on a server browser but it is less smooth. You could end up joining a server in the middle of a round and then offset the balance, you could have to wait to play. You would need different skill level servers and for them all to have people in them. I think the experience of playing a game looks better with matchmaking in today's world.

    It looks like they are thinking about a hybrid matchmaking idea which might be the only way to go about it for NS2.

    I don't think anybody got a problem with good working matchmaking, but many people including me have a big problem when matchmaking is replacing the server browsers or the option to set up community servers in general.

    An NS3 without community servers or server browser would be completely ignored by me.

    This opinion really annoys me. It's been said many times that just because you have match making doesn't mean you lose community servers.
    When life gives you lemons, throw it back and demand chocolate.


  • MoFo1MoFo1 United StatesMembers Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Posts: 729 Advanced user
    coolitic wrote: »
    Deck_ wrote: »
    ^The advantages to matchmaking is you are playing on a server with equally skilled players and you are all starting the game at the same time. It would be nice in ns2 if you knew by the time you pushed start, you would probably be starting a game within 3 min for example with players of even skill level as you. That would be nice. Or maybe even have the commander picked during this time, that would be efficient.

    Yes, you could do that on a server browser but it is less smooth. You could end up joining a server in the middle of a round and then offset the balance, you could have to wait to play. You would need different skill level servers and for them all to have people in them. I think the experience of playing a game looks better with matchmaking in today's world.

    It looks like they are thinking about a hybrid matchmaking idea which might be the only way to go about it for NS2.

    I don't think anybody got a problem with good working matchmaking, but many people including me have a big problem when matchmaking is replacing the server browsers or the option to set up community servers in general.

    An NS3 without community servers or server browser would be completely ignored by me.

    This opinion really annoys me. It's been said many times that just because you have match making doesn't mean you lose community servers.

    While that may be true.. you can't blame us since the vast overwhelming majority of devs that use matchmaking do not include a server browser or community servers in their games.

    Also the presence of community servers and a browser in NS2 does not mean they will be in NS3..
    IronHorseSoylent_green
  • MephillesMephilles GermanyMembers, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Posts: 975 Advanced user
    just imagine in a wonderland where in ns2 you have a ranked game option which has a limited playernumber and which is the only environment where you can gain or lose ELO while on the other side you have unranked matches which are just playin community servers with custom mods, playernumbers and whatever...

    too bad this is physically impossible to achieve right?
    return to zero
    VetinarimigalskiMaxAmus.trixX.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United StatesMembers Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Posts: 729 Advanced user
    Mephilles wrote: »
    just imagine in a wonderland where in ns2 you have a ranked game option which has a limited playernumber and which is the only environment where you can gain or lose ELO while on the other side you have unranked matches which are just playin community servers with custom mods, playernumbers and whatever...

    too bad this is physically impossible to achieve right?

    Why include ELO and/or rankings for the matchmaking only?

    Why not have seperate ELO and/or rankings for both matchmaking and the browser? This ensures that people aren't forced to play matchmaking if they want to gain ELO/rank.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Members, Reinforced - Supporter Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Posts: 773 Advanced user
    Mephilles wrote: »
    just imagine in a wonderland where in ns2 you have a ranked game option which has a limited playernumber and which is the only environment where you can gain or lose ELO while on the other side you have unranked matches which are just playin community servers with custom mods, playernumbers and whatever...

    too bad this is physically impossible to achieve right?

    It is impossible because the playerbase. Look at the gathers played atm.
  • umdum9umdum9 London ON.Members Join Date: 2015-01-24 Member: 201013Posts: 37 Advanced user
    I feel like rookies would greatly benefit from the Marine tutorial teaching players how to strafe skulks..
    "Eren, the difference between your judgement and ours is something that arises from the gap in our experience. But not relying on something like that is just fine. Choose. Whether you should believe in yourself, or believe in the Survey Corps, myself included. I myself don’t know… I never have. Whether I believed in my own abilities, or whether I believed in the decisions of my trusted comrades, in the end no one ever knew what the outcome would be. So I guess… you have to do your best to make a decision that you won’t regret."
    -Levi Ackerman
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The NetherlandsMembers, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Posts: 15,782 Advanced user
    edited September 2016
    I observed one of these oddball creatures who couldn't find their way to the front (other game, but still)


    Saw someone walking around on my team back towards spawn and back to the action only to get stuck in a building, he definitely heard the combat noises. Only to not figure out how it was possible this wall was in between him and the action..... I just stood there, observing this poor lost soul and even walked towards the lad to try and get him to follow me, so he could do the shooty thing towards the enemy... It also occurred to me though... Maybe it is to dangerous for him too go there in any case...

    So... After explaining where he should go and you know... Maybe follow me or something... I eventually went, WALK OUTSIDE THE FRIGGING BUILDING, GO ONTO THE STREET, GIT TO THE MAIN ROUTE AND GET TO DAT ACTION YOU TIT.


    While he still was lost in that building... We're talking about a two story building the size of a tiny store with three exits (front, back and a side door), all kinda leading to the main route/action...




    Speechless I was after that encounter, I've never seen something like this before... I've seen people get lost or just confused about something, but not... Well... I mean...

    \o/︵ ┻━┻

    Post edited by Kouji_San on

    Guardian of the "magic cookiejar" 

    Retired forum Admin, I mostly used a flamethrower tank for disputes... Mostly

    Retired EUPT Deputy | Moral Support | Squad 5 Blue | 102 1HP Skulk escapes and counting

  • jrgnjrgn Members Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58289Posts: 146 Advanced user
    Have you never considered that there could be a 7 year old kid behind the wheels on that player? Or a drunk loonatic? Or a 76 year old granny? Just reducing everyone without knowledge about the game to a retard seems a little....retarded :) Also something else that i have noticed is the fact that a lot of players simply do not speak or understand english. This is pretty common with russians (most east europeans actually), french and spaniards, asian even though some are very good speakers of anglosaxian languages. I have myself made that mistake and it really makes you feel awkward and ashamed, when you find out that the player you have been shouting "save that pg<insert random insult> is a 8 year old autistic girl with a heart disease. ;) But i do agree that the numbers of new players that show no sign of understanding or communicating can be a little frustrating sometimes...
    NordicSupaFredVetinari
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind youMembers Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Posts: 1,684 Advanced user
    edited September 2016
    jrgn wrote: »
    you find out that the player you have been shouting "save that pg (insert random insult) is a 8 year old autistic girl with a heart disease

    I can call out people for acting stupid if I want to (preferably in a nicer way to people in general), and the small chance of them being autistic is not my responsibility. Also, what is an 8-year old doing online on a mature game without supervision? Again, that's not my responsibility. And what does having heart disease have to do with anything? Or are you just spitting out random ailments to elicit false compassion?
    When life gives you lemons, throw it back and demand chocolate.


  • .trixX..trixX. BudapestMembers Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Posts: 864 Advanced user
    coolitic wrote: »
    Also, what is an 8-year old doing online on a mature game without supervision?

    As if we weren't playing doom and duke nukem roughly at that age... And if we had internet, we would've been online too :D

    NO Cyril, when they're dead they're just hookers!
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United StatesMembers Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Posts: 729 Advanced user
    Battlefield 1 looks like it just might get the server/matchmaking thing done right. You fire it up and click multiplayer to be greeted with 3 choices..

    Matchmake conquest
    Matchmake rush
    Old school server browser

    So we can completely ignore the matchmaking if we choose to. This is a must have option for any multiplayer game to be playable.

    Also in regards to stupid players.. Can we stop defending every rookie comm with the argument "they're new" because in the end it doesn't matter..

    What matters is whether or not they are trying to learn.. Played a game yesterday with a rookie comm (marine) who didn't seem to be doing too badly at first, until we noticed he was floating 60 res without having started w2/a2 or shottys.. Asked nicely for him to start shotguns and upgrades.. He didn't. Asked again and added "need to spend some of that res" to which he responded with "i know shut the fuck up"

    After that it still took several minutes before he started shotguns or upgrades, instead he spent res on arcs in main (which he sent out across the map one at a time) nanoshield, and sentries in main.. People constantly calling for rt's and pg's were being blatantly ignored. He even refused to drop extractors at the forward phase locations... So naturally some of us started trying to eject.

    At which point it degraded into the comm yelling profanity and insults, while we (understandably) were telling him that he needs to listen and not be so hostile... Then some of the idiots on or team started to defend the rookie comm.. "He's just new relax" Him being new wasn't the problem, it was his refusal to learn coupled with his intense hostility towards anyone making a request.

    In the end we lost because half the team wouldn't eject him, and those same idiots were blaming us for the loss (because apparently an eject vote = automatic loss)
  • VetinariVetinari Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Posts: 3,469 Advanced user
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Battlefield 1 looks like it just might get the server/matchmaking thing done right. You fire it up and click multiplayer to be greeted with 3 choices..

    Matchmake conquest
    Matchmake rush
    Old school server browser

    So we can completely ignore the matchmaking if we choose to. This is a must have option for any multiplayer game to be playable.

    Weve been telling you this is possible for months.
    formerly known as F0rdPrefect

    I am good Onos
    migalski
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United StatesMembers Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Posts: 729 Advanced user
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Battlefield 1 looks like it just might get the server/matchmaking thing done right. You fire it up and click multiplayer to be greeted with 3 choices..

    Matchmake conquest
    Matchmake rush
    Old school server browser

    So we can completely ignore the matchmaking if we choose to. This is a must have option for any multiplayer game to be playable.

    Weve been telling you this is possible for months.

    Yeah well I've also had people telling me matchmaking works fine ever since MW2..

    And truly they could still muck it up before launch.. By having certain modes only available under matchmake.. Or put some other "penalty" for joining community servers (like no upgrading/unlocking gear for example)

    I'm reminded of MW3.. Pre- launch we thought it was going to be the perfect mix of matchmaking and servers.. In the end the server portion was severely sabotaged by the devs. (including being set up so you had to leave the server browser and enter matchmaking to create classes)
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind youMembers Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Posts: 1,684 Advanced user
    .trixX. wrote: »
    coolitic wrote: »
    Also, what is an 8-year old doing online on a mature game without supervision?

    As if we weren't playing doom and duke nukem roughly at that age... And if we had internet, we would've been online too :D

    Nevertheless, they must take the responsibility of being treated like an adult.
    When life gives you lemons, throw it back and demand chocolate.


  • bERt0rbERt0r Members Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Posts: 611 Fully active user
    You can say what you want but NS1 Combat was fun. It was completly different than NS2 Combat mod. there was simply more thought and effort put into it. I wish NS2 all the best, haven't played it in years. It does some things very good but if fails at other crucial things. It never reached the brilliance of NS1.

    NS2 sales were great because NS1 was that great of a game. NS2 just isnt. This forum has been talking down to players who pointed this out all along. There was just this sence of elitsim of people who bought into alphatesting this game and got a kick out of it. Suddenly they were supposed to be the experts of game design. Well i got bad news.

    Maybe I could give it another go since there seem to be still updates but I doubt the majority of buyers ever will.

    TLDR: ya didnt listen to me when I complained about stuff and now shit is fucked up. Booo hooo
  • rebirthrebirth Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Posts: 385 Fully active user
    Zek wrote: »
    I completely disagree that Combat was harmful to NS1. It didn't "split" the community, it retained/attracted players who were more interested in that type of gameplay than in an FPS/RTS, and would otherwise have left.

    So much this! Too many people forget that NS1 actually had a lot of variety going for it, at least compared to NS2.
    It wasn't just combat, siege also used to be hugely popular and imho back then there was a bit more of a "split" between the competitive community and the pub community in terms of playerbase and meta, because players basically had 4 different options in how to play the game.

    NS2 does not offer that kind of variety, the highest of feelings being high-pop servers or a siege mode that struggles to translate into NS2.
    .trixX.
  • VetinariVetinari Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Posts: 3,469 Advanced user
    rebirth wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    I completely disagree that Combat was harmful to NS1. It didn't "split" the community, it retained/attracted players who were more interested in that type of gameplay than in an FPS/RTS, and would otherwise have left.

    So much this! Too many people forget that NS1 actually had a lot of variety going for it, at least compared to NS2.
    It wasn't just combat, siege also used to be hugely popular and imho back then there was a bit more of a "split" between the competitive community and the pub community in terms of playerbase and meta, because players basically had 4 different options in how to play the game.

    NS2 does not offer that kind of variety, the highest of feelings being high-pop servers or a siege mode that struggles to translate into NS2.

    We do have variety: Skulks with shotguns, gungame, defense, last stand, siege, probably some others I'm forgetting.
    There's just too few people to play them and the ones who are here seem to have little interest in them.
    formerly known as F0rdPrefect

    I am good Onos
    NordicResistor
  • .trixX..trixX. BudapestMembers Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Posts: 864 Advanced user
    Who needs players when you have bots? x)
    NO Cyril, when they're dead they're just hookers!
  • WakeWake Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Posts: 723 Advanced user
    Nordic wrote: »
    I love skulks with shotguns. I would play it fairly often if seeding it was reasonable.

    Jumping the shark

    .
    Freak out
    UncleCrunch
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in KodiakMembers, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Posts: 4,771 Advanced user
    edited September 2016
    I am not sure if you mean my comment was jumping the shark, or if skulks with shotgun was. Either way I fail to understand.
    From my perspective UWE has been trying to both with what little resources they have given to the game. They don't have an AAA budget, let alone an indie game budget. They have the budget of a game that has been out 6 years. I want to say, don't half ass two things, whole ass one thing. I just don't think they have the resources to do it. Unlike many of the people on the forums, I guess I am just happy they are at least trying even though I may not like what they end up doing.
    SantaClawsSoul_Rider
  • RadimaXRadimaX Members Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Posts: 587 Advanced user
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We're trying to address issues with player retention. We actually still get quite a lot of new players trying the game, holding onto those players is key for NS2 to survive. Compared to last year, we're seeing an increase of ~12% to the playerbase over the last few months against last years.

    yesterday NS2 had 76 players, im not sure where the 12% are but if you want the game to live on make it free on steam and sell armors & skins or golden camo for guns if that is what it takes, rebalancing the game wont bring in new players, or bring back the old ones for that matter...



  • WakeWake Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Posts: 723 Advanced user
    Nordic wrote: »
    I am not sure if you mean my comment was jumping the shark, or if skulks with shotgun was. Either way I fail to understand.

    Skulk with shotguns, skulk with devour, lerklift onos in vents, we jumped all these sharks with NS1 already
    Freak out
    Vetinari
  • .trixX..trixX. BudapestMembers Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Posts: 864 Advanced user
    Im fairly confident implementing lerklift in NS2 would boost the player base 10 fold
    NO Cyril, when they're dead they're just hookers!
    BicsumcooliticYojimbojrgn
Sign In or Register to comment.