NUCLEAR REACTOR ROD CHARGE OR FILL??

JearBear87JearBear87 Shreveport, LA Join Date: 2016-08-10 Member: 221143Members
I have a lot of empty reactor rods and wondering if there will be a way to charge them eventually? I've kept them in a locker just in case but has anyone heard anything about it? Or maybe they already have something like that?? It would be awesome. I don't want to just go drop them all over the sea floor or put them in a locker and destroy the locker. :o

Comments

• raven0akraven0ak finalnd Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211425Members
    hope they add charge for rods and repair for knife (not so nice to have entire storage filled with 0% dura knifes)
  • JearBear87JearBear87 Shreveport, LA Join Date: 2016-08-10 Member: 221143Members
    raven0ak wrote: »
    hope they add charge for rods and repair for knife (not so nice to have entire storage filled with 0% dura knifes)

I feel the same way. Glad they added the charge for batteries and Power cells but definitely need them for other things.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members

Um, knives break and disappear when they reach 0%.
  • JearBear87JearBear87 Shreveport, LA Join Date: 2016-08-10 Member: 221143Members
    edited August 2016

Yeah the regular survival knives do, but the Thermal blades and Hardened/Diamond blades just deplete and stay in your inventory. It's like the Nuclear Reactor rods.
    JearBear87 wrote: »

Yeah the regular survival knives do, but the Thermal blades and Hardened/Diamond blades just deplete and stay in your inventory. It's like the Nuclear Reactor rods.

No, they do disappear, I just tested it. However, they do for some reason respawn in your inventory upon reloading the save, and are now unbreakable. That's an odd bug. But, exploit it while you can! Also, I expect they'll add some waste disposal system for spent Reactor Rods.
  • DumaDuma Oklahoma Join Date: 2016-02-02 Member: 212475Members

Uh not so much. Not only do they not break, and disappear but if dropped at 0% they tend to show back up in inventory.
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    edited August 2016
    I have a lot of empty reactor rods and wondering if there will be a way to charge them eventually? I've kept them in a locker just in case but has anyone heard anything about it? Or maybe they already have something like that?? It would be awesome. I don't want to just go drop them all over the sea floor or put them in a locker and destroy the locker. :o

you are experiencing the same issues as with real-life nuclear plants today where depleted rods are usually stored in a secure place for ever or until they stop producing radiation which are then used in some ammunitions I think.

................ I am aware that a wile ago we some country's did dump their depleted nuclear radioactive waste into the ocean, and buried it in abandoned mines :(
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Now imagine uranium, rods and depleted rods all have a radiation area where you take damage without a full radiation suit, even if they're stored in a container.
    edited August 2016
    Fathom wrote: »
    Now imagine uranium, rods and depleted rods all have a radiation area where you take damage without a full radiation suit, even if they're stored in a container.

an earlier post of mine in Ideas and Suggestions:

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/142187/radiation-anyone
    Radiation anyone?
    does anyone else feel that you should wear a your radiation suit when managing the nuclear reactor, as well as collecting the uraninite crystals, refining them into uranium, manufacturing the reactor rods replacing the depleted rods and not to mention having said items in your inventory

7kleb0sfv6ds.jpg
    Fathom wrote: »

They're adding that, at least for Uranium.

No, they do disappear, I just tested it. However, they do for some reason respawn in your inventory upon reloading the save, and are now unbreakable. That's an odd bug. But, exploit it while you can! Also, I expect they'll add some waste disposal system for spent Reactor Rods.

Oh i hope so. Something to reuse them. The knives just stay in my inventory. I just dropped like 4 and that is the only way to get rid of them besides putting them in a locker and deconstructing it.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    If only there was a recipe where we just combine a battery or diamond and some titanium to make those knives reusable again... And I'm sure technology has advanced sufficiently that we can make use of depleted uranium rods somehow?
    Lonnehart wrote: »
    If only there was a recipe where we just combine a battery or diamond and some titanium to make those knives reusable again... And I'm sure technology has advanced sufficiently that we can make use of depleted uranium rods somehow?

I totally agree. I bet it will be used eventually. You can sort of tell when the DEVS are going to implement something in the game. I feel if the reactor rods weren't going to be reusable in the future they would disappear instead of take up space. Same with the thermal and hardened knives. I believe they will add a crafting section of some sort more than they have so far. It's exciting to see the changes happen while experiencing the game.
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    And I'm sure technology has advanced sufficiently that we can make use of depleted uranium rods somehow?
    Depleted Uranium Torpedoes anyone?
    And I'm sure technology has advanced sufficiently that we can make use of depleted uranium rods somehow?

I'd be very surprised.
  • WarViperWarViper Texas Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216062Members
    I could see them adding a game mechanic where you would at least need the radiation gloves to handle a refined rod. The radioactivity of uranium actually depends on several factors. A rod that can be safely handled out in the open could become dangerously radioactive if placed into the proper environment that allows sufficient neutron reflection to occur which would cause the uranium to undergo an criticality excursion event.
  • MrRoarkeMrRoarke Join Date: 2016-05-16 Member: 216830Members
    Maybe we'd be able to reprocess the rods into something usable, like combining two or more spent rods gets you one new usable rod.

I was imagining we'd just be burdened with proper handling and disposal of the spent rods.

One of the texts in the game (either in the PDA tech data or tool tips or something) that says you're supposed to wear a radiation suit when handing spent rods, so I was expecting the rods to have a harmful radius.

It would be interesting if the radiation also impacted the environment, like killing plants and animals. Then you'd definitely have to figure out some sort of containment or disposal, much like IRL. You'd either have to craft lead lined storage, or drop them in an abyss or into a lava vent or something.

J
  • WSBurnsWSBurns KingdomOFMadness Join Date: 2016-07-25 Member: 220631Members
    Lol, why not use them to make "Depression Glass" pretty nice radioactive household...:)
  • Mr_EndarMr_Endar Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213859Members
    edited August 2016
    Or make a device that will transmute used nuclear fuel in some useful non-radioactive metals. Like we were supposed to do with used nuclear fuel IRL, before anti-nuclear movement existed.
    MrRoarke wrote: »
    Maybe we'd be able to reprocess the rods into something usable, like combining two or more spent rods gets you one new usable rod.

I was imagining we'd just be burdened with proper handling and disposal of the spent rods.

One of the texts in the game (either in the PDA tech data or tool tips or something) that says you're supposed to wear a radiation suit when handing spent rods, so I was expecting the rods to have a harmful radius.

It would be interesting if the radiation also impacted the environment, like killing plants and animals. Then you'd definitely have to figure out some sort of containment or disposal, much like IRL. You'd either have to craft lead lined storage, or drop them in an abyss or into a lava vent or something.

J

That is super interesting. I felt the same way. It should have an impact on everything around you. Maybe even hurting the player and impacting his health, or killing things off. I would like if two or more rods spent to recycle into a new one. The idea is something that would make the game way more enjoyable.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    I say no to recharging. I like the game actually acknowledging the #1 problem with nuclear power.

I'd be very surprised.

I Depleted Uranium it seems is used in quite a few things and it seems isn't as radioactive as I thought as it has multiple civil uses as well as it is used in armor plating and armor piercing aplications

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depleted_uranium